or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation - Page 2

post #41 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

... Even cars are sold on thinness. Look at how the height of cars has gone down over the decades, even though taller cars are more comfortable in every way.

Actually, I think that trend reversed some time ago and most cars today have gotten taller than they were in, say, the early 90s.
post #42 of 187
"Hello...I am a Droid.....and I am an iPhone".
post #43 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

The more I read about the Droid, the more I'm starting to regret my decision to switch to AT&T for the iPhone! I Have to hand it to Verizon; after years of neglecting their phone offering, they're really coming around now and putting out a great looking lineup (on paper at least).

I'm really hoping Apple has something great cooking for iPhone 4.0:

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.
2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893
3. Notifications really need to be improved, or just allow multitasking already! Right now, if you have more than one set of notifications, it becomes unmanageable with each replacing the other!
4. Come up with a better solution for finding and opening apps. I have 4 pages worth of apps and it's ridiculous having to swipe back and forth all the time!
5. A better mail app is badly needed! I was just settle for a native Gmail app.

So Apple should change a great interface because it's immensely successful, just because it's been around for a couple of years? It's still the easiest to use GUI out there.

The home screen is anything but useless. Why do you talk in such absolutes?. The one you link to has been criticized as being too complex.

Notifications could use some work, though they aren't bad. Multitasking is another issue entirely. I've used the Pre, and it's SLOW. Very slow. And that's with almost the exact same hardware, except for a less powerful GPU. The N97 is also SLOW from that, though it does use the last generation HW. Multitasking is given as a major reason. Multitasking is also given as a reason why Win Mobile phones crash so often. I'd rather Apple wait to get it right.

I have 7 pages of apps, and I'm annoyed at all the swiping too. But as long as you remember the name of a program, using the search works pretty well, much better than the methods used on most other phones. I would like folders though.

What's wrong with Mail? That's one of the best mail apps around.

We've got 8 months to go before 4 comes out. So far, no one has been able to come up with a phone that's as good, much less better. no other phone has managed to sell more than a fraction of the iPhone's numbers, so consumers are not thrilled with them.

The Pre has been a miserable failure. Despite all the glowing reviews, consumers don't seem to like them. The N97, which was supposed to be a serious competitor, has seen disappointing sales, and no others have stepped up yet. No Android phone has yet to sell in serious numbers.

We'll see with the Droid, but how many do they expect to sell? Even if it gets great reviews, that doesn't mean that people will like it.

So far, none of RIMs iPhone competitors has taken off, and the newest high end phone, the Tour, has had so many problems, it's got a 50% return rate, and has really ticked Verizon off. People who hate the Mighty Mouse's little track ball will also be glad to know that the one on the Tour also doesn't work, but it only takes a few days to fail.

Apple has a plan for their devices, which so far, every other manufacturer lacks. They are all trying phones for every different class of person, ensuring that none sell really well.

That's the problem with every other companies phones. They are all so different in hardware features, that the software features don't work properly on all, or don't work at all.

I'd rather stick with Apple and wait for other features than mess with a number of different phones, being disappointed with each after a while, and moving constantly from one to the other every time a new one comes out. a real waste of time and money.
post #44 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, I think that trend reversed some time ago and most cars today have gotten taller than they were in, say, the early 90s.

Even women have gotten thicker- just look at Mo'Nique, Anna Nicole, and Jessica Simpson.
post #45 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not that I see.
post #46 of 187
OK, there's thin, and there's anorexic. This feature is way over-rated in a cell phone. Let's have a business phone with some signal and battery life, and leave the current marketing effort pushing thin to the teenagers. And thanks for listening to my luddite rants.
post #47 of 187
OK, provided the popularity of navigation applications, superiority of GOOG map environment and superiority of VZW's coverage, it can't be denied the shot is quite right one; the competition may finally begin now, it's not feature-less Pre on customer-less Sprint anymore.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #48 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

OK, provided the popularity of navigation applications, superiority of GOOG map environment and superiority of VZW's coverage, it can't be denied the shot is quite right one; the competition may finally begin now, it's not feature-less Pre on customer-less Sprint anymore.

And with over 10k apps already, its shaping up to be a contender. But I still think that itll hurt the other vendors more than the iPhone, despite being compared to the iPhone due to its flagship phone status it seems to be taking at Verizon.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #49 of 187
Just because Apple doesn't allow a third-party app to multitask with another 3rd-party app doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't support multitasking. It does in fact support multitasking.

So, go ahead and while on a phone call hit your home button and go launch another application, any application. It works while you are in the Phone app without quitting the Phone app (shock!). Want to launch your iPod app and listen to it in the background while playing Civilization? No problem there, this mad multitasking iPhone supports it because the iPhone OS supports multitasking.

It amazes me to no end the misinformation spewing about this support for multitasking. I multitask all the time on my iPhone. I'm constantly running Safari to check movie times while talking on the phone or listening to my iPod. Surf/Phone/3rd Party APP all multitask just fine.
post #50 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by seking View Post

Just because Apple doesn't allow a third-party app to multitask with another 3rd-party app doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't support multitasking. It does in fact support multitasking.

So, go ahead and while on a phone call hit your home button and go launch another application, any application. It works while you are in the Phone app without quitting the Phone app (shock!). Want to launch your iPod app and listen to it in the background while playing Civilization? No problem there, this mad multitasking iPhone supports it because the iPhone OS supports multitasking.

It amazes me to no end the misinformation spewing about this support for multitasking. I multitask all the time on my iPhone. I'm constantly running Safari to check movie times while talking on the phone or listening to my iPod. Surf/Phone/3rd Party APP all multitask just fine.

I think that the people in this thread are very informed and when they say "no multitasking" they're saying "no 3rd party apps multitasking".
post #51 of 187
the heat goes up up up

now you see why board members have left
this is probably the killer app as email was for pc's
navigation is a killer app, SJ knows that and knew of this, it was to be predicted
apple and google will market to their strengths, this will push rim, pre et al to the sidelines
SJ and schmidt knew this as well, this is the double hammer that will push aside MS, rim etc
there is room for 3 formats, iphone, android, and "the rest" fight over 3rd place.

this is putting nails in the coffin of stand alone gps systems as we have all known would happen
people want a convergence device

NOW, if google can get a synchronizing solution to compete with mobleme, then android will push iphone back a bit THE BIG IF---IF verizon and other carriers will not block or cripple the phones ability as they have done in the past

so who do you think is sweating now???

also, it won't take long for iphone to do this "for competitive reasons" this will be used to convince apps developers that "iphone needs this to compete and grow"
nav will be the new loss leader....iphone and android win
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #52 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And with over 10k apps already, it’s shaping up to be a contender. But I still think that it’ll hurt the other vendors more than the iPhone, despite being compared to the iPhone due to its flagship phone status it seems to be taking at Verizon.

No. It's not likely Droid's gonna trigger the iPhone fall. Yet, VZW simply have more customers. BB are in their niche, they're not gonna be much impacted, too.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #53 of 187
I agree. I think Android is going to be akin to Amazon music service. A distant number two behind iTunes that mostly takes from everyone else. I think Windows Mobile and Nokia are going to get it the worst.

Quote:

And with over 10k apps already, its shaping up to be a contender. But I still think that itll hurt the other vendors more than the iPhone, despite being compared to the iPhone due to its flagship phone status it seems to be taking at Verizon.
post #54 of 187
LMAO! Check this out guys:

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=...AQ:GRMN&ntsp=0

The power of Google
post #55 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The power of Google

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AGOOG

The power of Google? I think a lot of companies are going down in NASDAQ today
post #56 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AGOOG

The power of Google? I think a lot of companies are going down in NASDAQ today

Umm, Google is down less than 2%. The NASDAQ is down 2.4%. The Dow is up a little less than a point.

Garmin is down 16%
TomTom is down: 21%

You do the math...
post #57 of 187
Quote:

Umm, Google is down less than 2%. The NASDAQ is down 2.4%. The Dow is up a little less than a point.

Garmin is down 16%

You do the math...

Yep, you're right, I don't know what I was reading. I need a break
post #58 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The news also coincided with the unveiling of Google's free Maps Navigation service, which will be a part of all Android 2.0 devices.

It looks to me like Apple saw this coming and explains why Apple bought Placebase.
post #59 of 187
I've seen others say the iPhone UI needs a refresh. But they never give a good reason why. Do you want a refresh to make the UI more useful or do you want something new just to have something new?

The concept tiroger link to is interesting even if its not really practical in every day use. I can agree that Apple needs to continue to refine the UI as the use of the iPhone is growing more complex.

I can agree there needs to be some improved way of accessing hundreds of apps. And faster easier way of accessing information and feeds within the apps. From that standpoint I can agree with the UI concepts tiroger linked to.

At the same time Apple will take their time in making these improvements to make sure they work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.
2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893

Quote:

The home screen is anything but useless. Why do you talk in such absolutes?. The one you link to has been criticized as being too complex.

I have 7 pages of apps, and I'm annoyed at all the swiping too. But as long as you remember the name of a program, using the search works pretty well, much better than the methods used on most other phones. I would like folders though.
post #60 of 187
Quote:

The power of Google

How do you compete with 'free'? A question more and more companies are going to be asking themselves as Google expands upon their services.
post #61 of 187
iDon't think I want one.

/
post #62 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

How do you compete with 'free'? A question more and more companies are going to be asking themselves as Google expands upon their services.

Microsoft seems to do just fine against OpenOffice and Google Apps with Office 2007 (and soon to be Office 2010).
post #63 of 187
Quote:

It has plenty of great aspects to it, but one area it really falls short is the lack of aggregation among multiple mail accounts. The current method backing in and out of accounts is too tedious.
post #64 of 187
Quote:

Microsoft seems to do just fine against OpenOffice and Google Apps with Office 2007 (and soon to be Office 2010).

Indeed, but the addition of Microsoft's free 'web apps' shows that this could become an issue. Google's online offering is pretty half baked, and it doesn't look like this offering has the omnipresent beta tag.
post #65 of 187
Quote:

Garmin is down 16%

You do the math...

It's an over reaction. The stocks will climb back up once cooler heads prevail (late afternoon/tomorrow). It is funny though.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #66 of 187
Quote:

It has plenty of great aspects to it, but one area it really falls short is the lack of aggregation among multiple mail accounts. The current method backing in and out of accounts is too tedious.

Well then stop using so many aliases. The FBI will find you anyway, eventually, hopefully.
post #67 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.

Not lame at all.

Open source gives you the right to fork the source code, but it doesn't give you the right to call your forked source code under the original copyrighted name. That's why CentOS is called CentOS, instead of the original name (redhat enterpise linux).
post #68 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

OK, there's thin, and there's anorexic. This feature is way over-rated in a cell phone. Let's have a business phone with some signal and battery life, and leave the current marketing effort pushing thin to the teenagers. And thanks for listening to my luddite rants.

It's only overrated to the minority to whom it's not important. but if you want to make a popular phone, thinness IS important.
post #69 of 187
Quote:

Not a good reason to change phones for though. Most people don't have all these e-mail accounts, and many people, when they do have them, don't want them to be aggregated. It's not one or the other. Some of these phones don't let you keep the accounts separated if you want it that way.

A little of one, a little of the other.
post #70 of 187
Quote:

It's only overrated to the minority to whom it's not important. but if you want to make a popular phone, thinness IS important.

Let's not forget weight- thinness means nothing if it weighs like a brick.
post #71 of 187
"Google" is synonymous with beta.
post #72 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let's not forget weight- thinness means nothing if it weighs like a brick.

They all seem to weigh about the same, plus or minus a 15 grams or so. A few are lighter than the iPhone, but many are heavier.

If it's too light, it feels cheap, as do many BBs.
post #73 of 187
Quote:

Garmin is down 16%

You do the math...

As might be expected, Verizon is up 2.8% and Motorola +2.2%.

But weirdly, ATT: +2.3%.
post #74 of 187
Quote:

Not a good reason to change phones for though. Most people don't have all these e-mail accounts, and many people, when they do have them, don't want them to be aggregated. It's not one or the other. Some of these phones don't let you keep the accounts separated if you want it that way.

A little of one, a little of the other.

You asked what was wrong with mail. That is a common annoyance for business users or those that require multiple mail accounts with a high volume of emails. Not a good reason to drop the iPhone, but perhaps a good reason to stick with your Blackberry in the first place. Certainly no an issue for the average person, but something that would certainly help make it more enjoyable for certain users.
post #75 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

How do you compete with 'free'?

Do you mean free as in "beer" or free as in "anyone can jump off a cliff"?
post #76 of 187
Quote:

You asked what was wrong with mail. That is a common annoyance for business users or those that require multiple mail accounts with a high volume of emails. Not a good reason to drop the iPhone, but perhaps a good reason to stick with your Blackberry in the first place. Certainly no an issue for the average person, but something that would certainly help make it more enjoyable for certain users.

It's interesting then, that the iPhone gets far higher satisfaction ratings from business users than do BBs. Maybe business people would rather have their business and personal e-mail accounts separate. I wouldn't want them as one.
post #77 of 187
Quote:

So Apple should change a great interface because it's immensely successful, just because it's been around for a couple of years? It's still the easiest to use GUI out there.

Notifications could use some work, though they aren't bad. Multitasking is another issue entirely. I've used the Pre, and it's SLOW. Very slow. And that's with almost the exact same hardware, except for a less powerful GPU. The N97 is also SLOW from that, though it does use the last generation HW. Multitasking is given as a major reason. Multitasking is also given as a reason why Win Mobile phones crash so often. I'd rather Apple wait to get it right.

We've got 8 months to go before 4 comes out. So far, no one has been able to come up with a phone that's as good, much less better. no other phone has managed to sell more than a fraction of the iPhone's numbers, so consumers are not thrilled with them.

The Pre has been a miserable failure. Despite all the glowing reviews, consumers don't seem to like them. The N97, which was supposed to be a serious competitor, has seen disappointing sales, and no others have stepped up yet. No Android phone has yet to sell in serious numbers.

We'll see with the Droid, but how many do they expect to sell? Even if it gets great reviews, that doesn't mean that people will like it.

So far, none of RIMs iPhone competitors has taken off, and the newest high end phone, the Tour, has had so many problems, it's got a 50% return rate, and has really ticked Verizon off. People who hate the Mighty Mouse's little track ball will also be glad to know that the one on the Tour also doesn't work, but it only takes a few days to fail.

Apple has a plan for their devices, which so far, every other manufacturer lacks. They are all trying phones for every different class of person, ensuring that none sell really well.

That's the problem with every other companies phones. They are all so different in hardware features, that the software features don't work properly on all, or don't work at all.

I'd rather stick with Apple and wait for other features than mess with a number of different phones, being disappointed with each after a while, and moving constantly from one to the other every time a new one comes out. a real waste of time and money.

I agree with your comments and think people need to understand that Apple trys to get it right first and provide a TOTAL experience for the consumer, not one or few individuals or the Tech group but everyone.
The spec and features on the Droid may compete with the iPhone, but there is not much difference and the overall experience with iPhone (not in USA only because AT&T) is very good with concern to design and interface.
I perfer Apple do not rush to upgrade, but learn from their mistakes and iPhone 4.0 is improvement on excellent product already on market and not some techie's fantasy that does not translate into consumer's world.
post #78 of 187
Quote:

It's interesting then, that the iPhone gets far higher satisfaction ratings from business users than do BBs. Maybe business people would rather have their business and personal e-mail accounts separate. I wouldn't want them as one.

One feature isn’t going to make or break the iPhone for most people. WHo knows, if businesses are issuing them maybe they have the corporate email setup and nothing else or don’t get much mail from their personal account. But I do know some people that do certain work that requires to them to many email accounts to monitor. For them, it’s a problem because it’s an unnecessary time waster. BB doesn’t offer them a good enough experience to jump ship, but Android 2.0 might.

Gruber even notes it. "The email client adds support for Exchange and, moving ahead of the iPhone’s MobileMail, adds support for a combined “all accounts” inbox view. “ It’s not like it’s a complex setup. Contacts has an All Contacts option at the top of the Groups section. I have faith it will cme with v4.0.
post #79 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Not lame at all.

Open source gives you the right to fork the source code, but it doesn't give you the right to call your forked source code under the original copyrighted name. That's why CentOS is called CentOS, instead of the original name (redhat enterpise linux).

My lame comment isn't about the choice of the name Droid, but the fact that George Lucas copyrighted it. Though, I guess many people when they hear "Droid" would think of the little tripod blue and white beeping thing. I dunno, I just think its stupid that particular name is copyrighted.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #80 of 187
Quote:

One feature isnt going to make or break the iPhone for most people. WHo knows, if businesses are issuing them maybe they have the corporate email setup and nothing else or dont get much mail from their personal account. But I do know some people that do certain work that requires to them to many email accounts to monitor. For them, its a problem because its an unnecessary time waster. BB doesnt offer them a good enough experience to jump ship, but Android 2.0 might.

Gruber even notes it. "The email client adds support for Exchange and, moving ahead of the iPhones MobileMail, adds support for a combined all accounts inbox view. Its not like its a complex setup. Contacts has an All Contacts option at the top of the Groups section. I have faith it will cme with v4.0.

What's to say that they aren't working on a much better way of doing this? They are likely trying something. possibly they will have a very good way to have it both ways. Press a button for aggregated mail, and press it again for separate accounts. I haven't seen any other phone allow something like that.

Remember all the wailing about the lack of C/Paste?

It took two years, but when it came, it turned out to be the best rendition from any phone. Notice how many people even mention it now?

Same thing for search. The Pre came out with search, and it was considered to be just wonderful. But then the iPhone had it, and suddenly, the Pre's search was criticized as being much worse than Apple's.

I suspect we'll see the same thing happen here.

Meanwhile, no big deal.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation