or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › TomTom Car Kit, navigation software will not work with iPod touch

TomTom Car Kit, navigation software will not work with iPod touch

post #1 of 34
The forthcoming TomTom Car Kit navigation dock will not enable GPS functionality for the corresponding App Store software on the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone.

Company officials confirmed to AppleInsider Wednesday that although the Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, the TomTom application will only work with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G -- even with the dock connected to a first-generation iPhone or iPod touch. Since it appeared for order on the Apple Store last week, the hardware's Web page has read: "Note: The TomTom app for iPhone is not included with this TomTom Car Kit. The Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, but the Car Kit app only works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G."

When asked whether the application could be updated to allow it to work with the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone, a company spokesman simply said that TomTom has not made any "public announcements."

The news is a change from previous reports, which suggested that the hardware kit with its integrated GPS receiver would allow navigation functionality on devices other than the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

The Car Kit was expected to arrive this summer, but was delayed until October without any specific reason given. Given that the $119.95 hardware is listed as shipping in two to three weeks from the Apple Store, it would appear that the October deadline will also be missed.

The hardware is not necessary to use the TomTom navigation software that is currently available in the iPhone App Store, but it will amplify the GPS signal for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The dock is also said to be secure, have a superior speaker, and allow for easy charging and hands-free calling. The application and Car Kit are sold separately.

The TomTom iPhone mount will boost the device's GPS reception.
post #2 of 34
It sounds like they are having trouble getting GPS to work via the 30-pin connector. They’d be remiss to not get it working.

The potential for a great GPS app to run on the iPhone OS is there, but Apple has limited the way it works that I don’t want to have my phone as my primary GPS unit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #3 of 34
That's some severe back-pedalling and quite a disappointment. Though, to be honest, it didn't seem like a such a great value for the prices they're asking.
post #4 of 34
Not really a reason to buy it now then. Any window mount will put your iphone 3G or 3GS in the perfect place for an excellent signal and for a tiny fraction of the cost.
post #5 of 34
I was so excited initially about the TomTom app and adapter, but boy has it been a disappointment in terms of COST and now compatibility. I bought the Navigon because it launched first and never regretted it. Now it looks like the Google Nav app if released to the iPhone, will blow both of them away. I may end up using Navigon only when traveling in areas of no cell coverage.
post #6 of 34
The guy in that picture seems to be driving on the wrong side of the road...
post #7 of 34
Deleted.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It sounds like they are having trouble getting GPS to work via the 30-pin connector. Theyd be remiss to not get it working.

The potential for a great GPS app to run on the iPhone OS is there, but Apple has limited the way it works that I dont want to have my phone as my primary GPS unit.

My guess is that the ability to work with the touch was going to be limited to the newest touches, but when Apple changed the recently released touch upgrade at the last minute (eliminating the camera, changing the OS) something changed that prevented the car kit from working with it. You'll notice that the car kit was originally stated, by TomTom, to support the touch; and that their backpedaling on that statement started soon after the rumors of Apple having trouble with the new touch hardware.

Perhaps when Apple finally sorts out the hardware problems and releases the next touch upgrade the car kit will once again be supported.
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

The guy in that picture seems to be driving on the wrong side of the road...

Nah, he's just driving a LHD car in the UK...
post #10 of 34
That's a deal-breaker folks!
post #11 of 34
you guys, don't listen to PR-shit.
the carkit DOES work with the iPhone 2G and it even works with other GPS apps like navigon.

check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cGSFVwu1E

it is german, but basicly what he does is, using the GPS with an iPhone 2G.
with the navigon and the built-in Maps (the tomtom software wasn't out by the time he tried it out)
post #12 of 34
Quote:
The forthcoming TomTom Car Kit navigation dock will not enable GPS functionality for the corresponding App Store software on the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone.

1.) iPod Touch- Who thought it would? Steve Jobs himself said the Touch is primarily a GAMING device. Didn't AI get the memo?

2.) iPhone-And here's the exact proof why you never buy a 1st generation Apple product- EVER.

Peace.
post #13 of 34
Here's the deal:

The iPod Touch and first generation iPhone DO NOT have GPS receivers...

Therefore applications that require GPS resolution location services do not work on them.

Here's the basics of how location services works on iPhone OS devices.

You location will be derived from three sources depending on the hardware available on the device.

1. Cell phone tower triangulation, good for about a 1000 meter accuracy and available on the original iPhone, 3G and 3GS. This only works if you have cellular radio contact with at least 3 cell towers

2. WiFi proximity, good for about 100 meter accuracy and available on all iPhones and iPod Touches. But this only works if your in the proximity of a geocoded WiFi hotspot. Just an FYI, those funny little google cars with camera masts on top that take pictures for Street View also sniff out and geocode WiFi hotspots that they pass. This is the reason why you maps application works indoors.

3. GPS. Good for about 10 meter resolution anywhere in the world, so long as you have a clear view of the sky. Only available on iPhone 3G and 3GS. This is what Tom Tom is dependent on.
post #14 of 34
Does any of this even matter any more?

With Google Navigation coming for free in the near future, who is going to buy other Navigation Apps for the iPhone anymore?
post #15 of 34
Can I get a standalone GPS for the Touch? If so will the app work with that?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefrompluto View Post

Here's the deal:

Therefore applications that require GPS resolution location services do not work on them.

You location will be derived from three sources depending on the hardware available on the device.

1. Cell phone tower triangulation, good for about a 1000 meter accuracy and available on the original iPhone, 3G and 3GS. This only works if you have cellular radio contact with at least 3 cell towers

2. WiFi proximity, good for about 100 meter accuracy and available on all iPhones and iPod Touches. But this only works if your in the proximity of a geocoded WiFi hotspot. Just an FYI, those funny little google cars with camera masts on top that take pictures for Street View also sniff out and geocode WiFi hotspots that they pass. This is the reason why you maps application works indoors.

3. GPS. Good for about 10 meter resolution anywhere in the world, so long as you have a clear view of the sky. Only available on iPhone 3G and 3GS. This is what Tom Tom is dependent on.

The TomTom car kit for iPhone reportedly contains its own, separate GPS chip. Would that not obviate the need for the device inserted into it to have its own chip? So why, even though "The iPod Touch and first generation iPhone DO NOT have GPS receivers" would they need one to function in a device that DOES have a GPS chip?
post #17 of 34
Is this surprising? It shouldn't be.

I seem to remember Tom Tom saying that it would ASSIST the GPS in the iPhone.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefrompluto View Post

Here's the deal:

Too bad that even with you simplified explanation, a lot here won't read it, understand or admit that they don't.

On a further note, if the TomTom Car Kit requires mounting on the windshield, usage in place such as California*, Minnesota* and now the province of Ontario, Canada will have problems, i.e., windshield mounting, for example, is illegal.

* California Vehicle Code Section 26708 (a) (1) provides that No persons shall drive any motor vehicle with an object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows. Drivers in California should not use a suction mount on their windshield, side or rear windows.

Note: this section of the California Vehicle Code applies to anyone driving in California, not just California residents.

Minnesota State Legislature Statutes Section 169.71, subdivision 1, section 2 provides that A person shall not drive or operate with any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield other than sun visors and rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices.

Note: this Minnesota Stature applies to anyone driving in Minnesota, not just Minnesota residents.

http://iphone.tomtom.com/en-us/faq.html
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsilver View Post

The TomTom car kit for iPhone reportedly contains its own, separate GPS chip. Would that not obviate the need for the device inserted into it to have its own chip? So why, even though "The iPod Touch and first generation iPhone DO NOT have GPS receivers" would they need one to function in a device that DOES have a GPS chip?

There are reports that the original iPhone will work. http://www.9to5mac.com/tomtom-iPod-t...riginal-iPhone

Obviously, if it does, it would be limited relative to the capabilities of the 2nd generation and certainly the latest 3GS iteration. I would hope that any dummy could figure that out.
post #20 of 34
Two comments:

First: I can see no reason to buy this, as they've priced themselves out of the market. For the price of the mount alone, I can buy a TomTom 140S (I did) which has the same feature set, PLUS text-to-speech for street names. The combined price of the mount with the application is just too high for limited functionality.

Second: to the poster quoting CA regulations, those rules were amended last year, with the changes going into effect on 1/1/09. Since then it is permissible to mount a GPS device on the windshield in CA so long as it is in either the lower left corner or lower right corner of the windshield. It is still not allowed to mount it in the center as it could block the forward view, but I was following a cop the other day who had it there. Go figure.
post #21 of 34
Wow... so miuch here saying "it never was going to" or "it only assists". I looked back through news archives since theTomTom Car Kit has been available 9n Europe for awhile already, and sure enough, they originally stated, unequivocally, that the kit contained its own GPS receiver that woud (a) boost the built-in GPS sensitivity pf the iPhone and (b) ADD GPS FUNCTIONALITY TO THE iPOD TOUCH! Some articles even stated that when the car kit was used, the buit-in GPS on the iPhone was bypassed completey, which means that there should be no technical reason why it can't work with the Touch. That was stated WAY before the 3rd Generation Touch was announced... so one has to assume that they thought it could work. More than likely, though, Apple (and, maybe, AT&T) came down hard on TomTom to remove that compatibility. After all, AT&T is about to introduce the Garmin GPS phone, and if people could simply use their Touch for GPS it sure could cannibalize sales of both iPhones and the new Garmin phone.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb5406 View Post

Wow... so miuch here saying "it never was going to" or "it only assists". I looked back through news archives since theTomTom Car Kit has been available 9n Europe for awhile already, and sure enough, they originally stated, unequivocally, that the kit contained its own GPS receiver that woud (a) boost the built-in GPS sensitivity pf the iPhone and (b) ADD GPS FUNCTIONALITY TO THE iPOD TOUCH! Some articles even stated that when the car kit was used, the buit-in GPS on the iPhone was bypassed completey, which means that there should be no technical reason why it can't work with the Touch. That was stated WAY before the 3rd Generation Touch was announced... so one has to assume that they thought it could work. More than likely, though, Apple (and, maybe, AT&T) came down hard on TomTom to remove that compatibility. After all, AT&T is about to introduce the Garmin GPS phone, and if people could simply use their Touch for GPS it sure could cannibalize sales of both iPhones and the new Garmin phone.

I would strongly doubt that AT&T has any say in this.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.)
2.) iPhone-And here's the exact proof why you never buy a 1st generation Apple product- EVER.

Peace.

The same could be said for most, if not all, tech companies, but then .... I don't have a particular axe to grind !
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #24 of 34
Should I be concerned that the guy in the Tom Tom photo is clearly driving into oncoming traffic? He's to the left of the double yellow lines.

Maybe his new Tom Tom device IS a little too distracting...
post #25 of 34
The California law was changed at the start of this year by the governator. You can now have GPS receivers attached to your car window.

Can someone that has one of these try plugging in an iPod Touch 2nd or 3rd gen and let us know if it works with one of the free GPS applications? If it augments the iPod Touch's location ability (which currently works with WiFi signals) you should get accurate GPS location everywhere when attached to the TomTom car kit.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaggie View Post

Two comments:

First: I can see no reason to buy this, as they've priced themselves out of the market. For the price of the mount alone, I can buy a TomTom 140S (I did) which has the same feature set, PLUS text-to-speech for street names. The combined price of the mount with the application is just too high for limited functionality.

Second: to the poster quoting CA regulations, those rules were amended last year, with the changes going into effect on 1/1/09. Since then it is permissible to mount a GPS device on the windshield in CA so long as it is in either the lower left corner or lower right corner of the windshield. It is still not allowed to mount it in the center as it could block the forward view, but I was following a cop the other day who had it there. Go figure.

Correct.

"(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated and outside of an airbag deployment zone." http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Where did you buy your TomTom 140S for $120?
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The same could be said for most, if not all, tech companies, but then .... I don't have a particular axe to grind !

Is there any other tech company worth buying from?
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is there any other tech company worth buying from?

My phone has an 800mhz processor, OLED touch screen, a brilliant 5MP camera and takes excellent 720x480 video at 30 fps and can take slow motion video at 120 fps.

So I would say yes.

Panasonic, TomTom apparently etc.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

On a further note, if the TomTom Car Kit requires mounting on the windshield, ...and now the province of Ontario, Canada will have problems, i.e., windshield mounting, for example, is illegal.

I don't think the bill passed by the Ontario legislative assembly dictates how a GPS should be mounted. It only says you should not hold it in your hands it when you are operating your vehicle:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...en&BillID=2099
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

I don't think the bill passed by the Ontario legislative assembly dictates how a GPS should be mounted. It only says you should not hold it in your hands it when you are operating your vehicle:

So, do you have them, and if so, what are you listening to them through?
post #31 of 34
Quote:

You are partially correct. The word is can't. 78.1 *

However The Ontario Highway traffic Act also makes it illegal to drive a vehicle in which a GPS is attached to the windshield.

Equipment obstructing view Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle, in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1)*

* http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/e...tutes&context=
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You are partially correct. The word is can't. 78.1 *

However The Ontario Highway traffic Act also makes it illegal to drive a vehicle in which a GPS is attached to the windshield.

Equipment obstructing view Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle, in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1)*

* http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/e...tutes&context=

The key phrase here is "in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway". I guess OPP can pull you over and charge you if you mounted one on the windshield but unless you mounted it straight ahead of you (doh!) and you can't see the road ahead clearly you will have a chance to fight it off in court (I doubt you even need a good lawyer). This is debatable. Nothing in this act says "illegal to drive a vehicle in which a GPS is attached to the windshield". I guess it is one of those grey area that the cops can use in their digression... but I doubt the cops and crown prosecutor will waste resources on this unless, as I have mentioned, you did something stupid.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer Take it as a grain of salt. If you are worry just get one of those dash mount kit.
post #33 of 34
Quote:

The key phrase here is "in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway". I guess OPP can pull you over and charge you if you mounted one on the windshield but unless you mounted it straight ahead of you (doh!) and you can't see the road ahead clearly you will have a chance to fight it off in court (I doubt you even need a good lawyer). This is debatable. Nothing in this act says "illegal to drive a vehicle in which a GPS is attached to the windshield". I guess it is one of those grey area that the cops can use in their digression... but I doubt the cops and crown prosecutor will waste resources on this unless, as I have mentioned, you did something stupid.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer Take it as a grain of salt. If you are worry just get one of those dash mount kit.

You didn't read the law properly.

It does say exactly that, i.e.,

"73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; [B][SIZE="2"] or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle, in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."

Part 'b' concerns objects not afixed to the windshield is a second condition.
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Is this surprising? It shouldn't be.

I seem to remember Tom Tom saying that it would ASSIST the GPS in the iPhone.

Either way Tom Tom is the biggest rip off/disappointment in terms of iPhone navigation. 2.5 stars vs 4 stars for Navigon (#4 grossing app...TomTom...#40).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › TomTom Car Kit, navigation software will not work with iPod touch