or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV 3.0 software update to support iTunes LP, Extras

Apple TV 3.0 software update to support iTunes LP, Extras - Page 2

post #41 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post

So a little birdie told you nothing then?

I talk to myself.

Edit: I could provide the logic in it though. Apple has pared down the ATV to one model which likely means either a discontinuation of the line or a significant upgrade is in the works (I feel discontinuation is unlikely). The current ATV and AV dock ship with the old remote, which indicates that they are both in need of an upgrade. Tests have shown the iPhone 3GS to be capable of playing back some 1080p video, and the Zune HD has a 720p dock, so I would guess that the AV dock will be upgraded to match alongside an OS update allowing the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch to play back 720p video of course (a nice mid cycle purchasing incentive). Clearly Apple wouldn't want the AV dock to be as capable as ATV, so ATV naturally goes to 1080p (which of course requires an update to the iTunes store as well).

Now if changes of this magnitude were to happen, a video centric event would be a must. Apple says the holiday lineup is set. AI suggests a tablet announcement in January, so a January video event it is (I say late January because I don't think they will get it all together before then). If Apple does become serious about Apple TV, it will require yearly revisions and a new ATV and Tablet every year would be more than enough for an annual video event.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #42 of 112
If I hadn't just purchased a mini this past summer to be my HTPC (and file server, TM backup target, etc), upgraded AppleTV hardware and OS would be tempting. Subscriptions for TV series would be nice as I downgraded my cable and now don't get a couple of series I used to watch. They are on iTunes, but the price to purchase TV episodes is too high considering I'm only going to watch them once. TV rental/subscription could make getting TV from iTunes more affordable. Hopefully they'll bring that to the iTunes application on your computer, too.

A blu-ray drive would probably make me purchase an AppleTV since the only disc player I have now is the DVD player in the mini (and all my DVDs are ripped to video_ts folders on an external drive anyway). But I don't expect blu-ray to make it into the AppleTV, so I'll be sticking with the mini for awhile I guess.
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I'm definitely in the market for an Apple TV, I'm excited to see when\\if they roll out an updated model. For my own sake, I hope Gene is right this time.

If they'd do a Netflix like subscription rather than season passes then I'd be buying one. I'm not interested in owning the content as there are very few movies or TV shows I'd watch more than once.

The other thing that would get me to move on buying a AppleTV would be the ability to play iPhone games on the big screen. Allow it to hook-up to the App store and bam sales will shoot through the roof.
post #44 of 112
-USB External Storage
-Timemachine backup (so you don't have to sync with a mac)
-1080p

Apple wants to be green, right?
This should be the only apple product required to be powered on if I want to listen to my 1TB of music, itunes movies, and ripped DVDs in appleTV format.
post #45 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post

Try this site

http://ituneslp.net/

Awesome. Thanks!
post #46 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Totally in agreement with you here. Gotta be able to do 1080p and have the use of the USB port for storage expansion. My 160GB unit is almost maxed out as it is. I know I can stream stuff to it, but I like having the ability of being able to use it without any computers running.

I couldn't care less about 1080p as I don't have a twelve foot TV. I would love hardware powerful enough to support 720p in something other than a very strict h.264 however. 1080p may future proof the device, but for now it just means larger files which means I can store less content.
post #47 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Totally in agreement with you here. Gotta be able to do 1080p and have the use of the USB port for storage expansion. My 160GB unit is almost maxed out as it is. I know I can stream stuff to it, but I like having the ability of being able to use it without any computers running.

The CE4100 which is a customized ATOM SOC would probably do the trick. Notice it does 2 1080p streams. It was announced at IDF 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1GB...layer_embedded
post #48 of 112
Hopefully the 3.0 update will include more than iTunes LP and Extras. I am glad that they got rid of that 40GB AppleTV and replaced it with the 160GB. However, additional HDD space wouldn't hurt.
post #49 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with the previous posts...once you have HD it's terribly hard to go back.

Is BluRay that much superior to HD?

AppleTV is a delight to use with photos, music, viewing recorded TV shows (a la eyeTV), and of course, HD movies.

As far as photos, my girlfriend and her daughters are just amazed at AppleTV. We view the photos so much more than when they were just on a computer or way back when in photo albums. (Did I say photo albums, I meant, shoe boxes!)

With just the Ken Burns effect and a little light music behind it's as mesmerizing as having a salt water fish tank or a fireplace on a cold november night. I really recommend it! AppleTV that is, not a saltwater aquarium!

Blu-Ray is HD. But not all HD is Blu-Ray, HD is generally a range of resolutions, though there can be stricter definitions. Blu-Ray is nice, especially if you get Netflix for the discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I still believe that the next incarnation of an AppleTV will be integrated with a LG supplied TV. I don't see a future for an independent box as it is.

Plus, I don't listen to Piper Jaffray, unless I plan to buy or sell some AAPL. Because they are always trying to manipulate the stock price with their "insights."

I can see offering a TV with AppleTV built-in, but I don't see the TV as the only way to get it just yet. I would consider the little pizza box version, I don't need the TV. It would limit you to certain devices and certain technologies unless Apple licenses it to anyone. I doubt I'm going to find a good projector with AppleTV built in any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I couldn't care less about 1080p as I don't have a twelve foot TV. I would love hardware powerful enough to support 720p in something other than a very strict h.264 however. 1080p may future proof the device, but for now it just means larger files which means I can store less content.

A 12ft TV isn't required to see the difference. It's not about the absolute size of the display. I think you need to sit within two screen widths of the display. I'm not saying Apple should offer 1080p streams, that's just too much for most internet users right now.
post #50 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

magic mouse just arrived at all apple stores!!!!

You quoted the entire article that has nothing to do with the Magic Mouse. Why not just find the Magic Mouse article and post a simple comment there. Most people are setup to get instant emails and those are the ones interested in the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Tests have shown the iPhone 3GS to be capable of playing back some 1080p video.

Just to be clear, the 3GS HW can handle 720p without dropping framesof course this does require more processing and therefore more power, even if the image is only being played on the 3.5 displaybut 1080p is not possible without issues. In other words, its similar to original iPhone technically be capable of doing video, even if it was 10fps at some very low resolution. It isnt something worth using.

Quote:
If Apple does become serious about Apple TV, it will require yearly revisions and a new ATV and Tablet every year would be more than enough for an annual video event.

If that is the case, then is 1080p going to be important to Apple come January, or will they want to wait a year or two until they can offer 1080p files before updating, this way they get you to update twice? I think that buying a new AppleTV every year may not Apples plan.

Perhaps they will go the MS route of just trying to keep that leg of their business from allowing other companies with digital streaming and downloadable media from flowing over into their other products that they do make a lot of money on. It might just be enough to use the device to push iTunes Store as an even more relevant alternative to optical media and other download and streaming sites.

What kind of new HW code they add every year?

No one has done internet in the living room right yet, but other appliances like the Xbox 360, PS3 and TiVo have main features that make them powerful. I am really hoping for an AppleTV SDK to really make the platform viable for the living room.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #51 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Yes my ATV is the heart of entertainment in my house. It is the best media player ever devised no question.

The update does nothing for me, however, as everything we own is pirated and we never buy anything from iTunes.

The Apple Tv was a great Idea but I think Apple let fall to far behind. I have a macmini for a htpc and that is the best media player ever invented. I was thinking of adding a Atv to supplement the mini but have now decided to get a wdtv live as it can play more codecs and do full 1080p. As a side note I do not buy much video off of itunes so this will work for me, and when I do buy video I can always play it on the mini. Yes I do pirate tv shows, such as Top Gear, Dr. Who and other odd british stuff. I don't have cable so I do buy stargate off of itunes, everything else I get over the air.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #52 of 112
...deleted.
post #53 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post

The CE4100 which is a customized ATOM SOC would probably do the trick. Notice it does 2 1080p streams. It was announced at IDF 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1GB...layer_embedded

Right now its got a weak custom Intel CPU, its the GPU that is doing all the heavy listing. I think Ion (Atom+Nvidia 9400M) has proven to be successful and Apple certainly has experience with the 9400M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can see offering a TV with AppleTV built-in, but I don't see the TV as the only way to get it just yet.

Or ever.
Its nice to consolidate devices, but buying TVs with optical drives in them isnt widely popular for obvious reasons, despite being handy. The same goes for cable boxes and DVRs. Then there is the elephant in the room regarding the TVs themselves. There are too many options for too many scenarios that make that idea unappealing on many levels.
post #54 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A 12ft TV isn't required to see the difference. It's not about the absolute size of the display. I think you need to sit within two screen widths of the display. I'm not saying Apple should offer 1080p streams, that's just too much for most internet users right now.

Okay, that was a huge exaggeration on my part. For me it definitely is a matter of a 1080p stream being too much. My slow DSL can't even really handle the 720p content. I'll be migrating to Cable or FIOS at some point, primarily because I want to be able to finally stream HD content (even ordering SD content on my AppleTV requires a half-hour of buffering before I can start watching).

It's also about the storage of 1080p content. I just can't see doubling my hard drive space to store content that (in my opinion) only looks marginally better.

Quote:

If Apple does become serious about Apple TV, it will require yearly revisions and a new ATV and Tablet every year would be more than enough for an annual video event.

Not sure that I agree with a yearly revision. Do you think most people replace their DVD player every year because there's a new one with new features?
post #55 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_steve View Post

The AppleTV is in need of a significant hardware improvement. It absolutely needs to be able to play 1080p movies. Anything short of this is a failure. Additionally, Apple needs to open up the USB port for local storage. I could care less about iTunes LP. Apple will probably not address these issues and wonder why it's still just a "hobby" for them.

Playing 1080p video via hardware isn't the problem. The latest ARM and PowerVR cores hande it with ease. The issue is bandwidth. A 720p movie can take up to 4GB of data. That's about as much as Apple wants to warehouse and stream. A 1080p digital file would be over twice that size. We won't see Apple deliver 1080p until a nextgen codec allows them to deliver a 1080p movie in 4GB of space. I'd hazzard a guess of about 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Hopefully the 3.0 update will include more than iTunes LP and Extras. I am glad that they got rid of that 40GB AppleTV and replaced it with the 160GB. However, additional HDD space wouldn't hurt.

I'm sure it will. I've read stories about ATV losing sync and other issues that I hope are corrected. I'm still waiting for new hardware and then I'm in.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #56 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just to be clear, the 3GS HW can handle 720p without dropping framesof course this does require more processing and therefore more power, even if the image is only being played on the 3.5 displaybut 1080p is not possible without issues. In other words, its similar to original iPhone technically be capable of doing video, even if it was 10fps at some very low resolution. It isnt something worth using.

That is basically why, in the end I suggested that they would go with a 720p dock. I figured that if it could do some 1080p, 720p should be fine.

Quote:
If that is the case, then is 1080p going to be important to Apple come January, or will they want to wait a year or two until they can offer 1080p files before updating, this way they get you to update twice? I think that buying a new AppleTV every year may not Apples plan.

Who's to say that they can't offer some 1080p files now? I do think that they will need some 1080p iTunes store files before Apple TV makes the jump.

Quote:
What kind of new HW code they add every year?

They update macbooks, iPhones, iPods, etc at least once every year. I don't think Apple expects us to get a new one of those every year. If you don't update, your products gets stale. A processor bump and hard drive update would often be sufficient.

Quote:
No one has done internet in the living room right yet, but other appliances like the Xbox 360, PS3 and TiVo have main features that make them powerful. I am really hoping for an AppleTV SDK to really make the platform viable for the living room.

I specifically avoided this area as I have no idea where they will go, I'm hoping that the eventual 1080p update (January or later) wont be the only thing they add, but I could only speculate at what they might do. I think 1080p is a given, the only question is when.

I agree that an SDK would be logical, and much desired. The ATV could get all the services you want added to it and would be able to compete with the gaming consoles without actually going head to head with them.
post #57 of 112
Seriously...

Where's the Apple TV DVR feature already?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #58 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Seriously...

Where's the Apple TV DVR feature already?

Seriously

Itll come when Blu-ray and VHS come to the AppleTV. NEVER!
post #59 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm sure it will. I've read stories about ATV losing sync and other issues that I hope are corrected. I'm still waiting for new hardware and then I'm in.

I've been waiting for the new hardware as well. I've waited long time for bigger HDD (the 40GB just didn't cut it for me and the 160GB seemed a little expensive before the price cut) and I am welling to wait few months for the new hardware. I want AppleTV to be the center of my media files not an extension. I thought about getting a mini but didn't feel like spending $500+ for what I want it to do.
post #60 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Not sure that I agree with a yearly revision. Do you think most people replace their DVD player every year because there's a new one with new features?

As with my reply to solipsism, a yearly revision wouldn't be for existing customers to repurchase ATV. It would be to provide an attractive package to new customers. Apple doesn't do a 3 year cycle with their macs even though people are not likely to replace their old one quicker than that.
post #61 of 112
I wonder if we see a new Apple TV next Spring with ARM based internals and a SD slot. There's got to be a reason why Apple's suddenly added SD card slots to half their Mac lineup.

I wouldn't even need a full blown DVR with Guide data. If I could plug my ATV inline with my cable and simply buffer 20 minutes of video for pause/rewind and other features I'd be happy.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #62 of 112
Quote:

The issue is bandwidth. A 720p movie can take up to 4GB of data. That's about as much as Apple wants to warehouse and stream. A 1080p digital file would be over twice that size. We won't see Apple deliver 1080p until a nextgen codec allows them to deliver a 1080p movie in 4GB of space. I'd hazzard a guess of about 3 years.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. On the one hand I would hate to see such heavy compression, but on the other hand, broadband rollout in the U.S. has slowed dramatically. Many people just don't have access to pipes (bandwidth) big enough to constantly handle a HD.

What really has me concerned is that most all the broadband providers are also content providers. Many are cracking down on file sharing but I believe even genuinely purchased content from places like itunes will be targeted soon. They don't want to be seen as or regulated to being a dumb utility that can be cut out of the more profitable and ever growing media distribution business. IMHO.
post #63 of 112
Quote:

Playing 1080p video via hardware isn't the problem. The latest ARM and PowerVR cores hande it with ease. The issue is bandwidth. A 720p movie can take up to 4GB of data. That's about as much as Apple wants to warehouse and stream. A 1080p digital file would be over twice that size. We won't see Apple deliver 1080p until a nextgen codec allows them to deliver a 1080p movie in 4GB of space. I'd hazzard a guess of about 3 years.

The problem is, it's a bit presumptuous to assume the only use for 1080p is through iTunes purchased media. First, even just viewing photos and slide shows in 1080p would be a big improvement. Second, 1080p home video recorders are becoming very common, even in point and shoot cameras. iMovie has been able to accommodate full HD, so why not AppleTV? Third, not that I advocate piracy in any way, but I am aware of 1080p Blu-Ray rips in H.264 which exist on Bit Torrent networks and they are typically at the 4GB and under size. Likewise, I'd challenge your notion that 1080p movies require twice that bandwidth.
post #64 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Unfortunately I think you are correct. On the one hand I would hate to see such heavy compression, but on the other hand, broadband rollout in the U.S. has slowed dramatically. Many people just don't have access to pipes (bandwidth) big enough to constantly handle a HD.

What really has me concerned is that most all the broadband providers are also content providers. Many are cracking down on file sharing but I believe even genuinely purchased content from places like itunes will be targeted soon. They don't want to be seen as or regulated to being a dumb utility that can be cut out of the more profitable and ever growing media distribution business. IMHO.

At least the FCC seems to be on top of the net neutrality issue. You can't say the same about the CRTC here in Canada.
post #65 of 112
Even if Apple added a 1080p video option, alongside their other HD and SD videos, it still would be “inferior” to what Blu-ray offers, unless they also include all the extras AND the same bitrate found on Blu-ray’s 1080p in H.264. I don’t see that happening, so the people that prefer better quality over convenience are still going to hate the AppleTV for what it is.

Getting the device to be able to push 1080p with new HW should not be tied to the iTunes Store also offering it in their library. Most HDTVs are 1080p so having a native HW output is important. The AppleTV complements the iTunes Store, not the other way around.
post #66 of 112
Quote:

Right now it’s got a weak custom Intel CPU, it’s the GPU that is doing all the heavy listing. I think Ion (Atom+Nvidia 9400M) has proven to be successful and Apple certainly has experience with the 9400M.

But the CE4100 does it all in one chip with a lower power dissipation:

9400M TDP is about 12 W, Atom CPUs used in the ION platform are between 2.5 W and 8 W, making a total of at least 14.5 W.

On the other hand, the CE4100 does the job of both chips and consumes 7 to 9 watts.

Apple could even base the AppleTV on the iPhone/iPod touch platform, and it would consume even less power, however that would require a ground-up re-write of the software, whereas an ION or CE4100 solution would just require "tweaks".

At the moment, the energy efficiency of the AppleTV is dreadful; something Apple should be ashamed of (and the evidence suggests they are, there's no details of the AppleTV in Apple's environment pages).
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #67 of 112
Quote:

... that was completely random.

Back on topic.

I really hope ATV 3.0 offers a lot more than iTunes LP art... I'm already thinking of selling mine, my Xbox (I hardly game) and DVD Player and just getting a Mini.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #68 of 112
Quote:

At least the FCC seems to be on top of the net neutrality issue. You can't say the same about the CRTC here in Canada.

Excuse me while I get out my tinfoil hat.

This should turn out to be a interesting drama, however, I do not trust the politicians to do the right thing in regards to net neutrality. I do not trust either party on this issue, hell I don't think many of the old farts in congress fully understand how the internet works. This will definitely need to be a time where we listen to what they say but more importantly watch what they do.

Whew, putting the hat away.
post #69 of 112
Quote:

I hate to say it, but MS manage it. Their 720p videos are around 6GBs and far better quality than you get on iTunes. I rarely use Marketplace because I hate the points system, but 720p movies I've rented from there look gorgeous.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #70 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_steve View Post

The problem is, it's a bit presumptuous to assume the only use for 1080p is through iTunes purchased media. First, even just viewing photos and slide shows in 1080p would be a big improvement. Second, 1080p home video recorders are becoming very common, even in point and shoot cameras. iMovie has been able to accommodate full HD, so why not AppleTV? Third, not that I advocate piracy in any way, but I am aware of 1080p Blu-Ray rips in H.264 which exist on Bit Torrent networks and they are typically at the 4GB and under size. Likewise, I'd challenge your notion that 1080p movies require twice that bandwidth.

another_steve. Yes yes yes. I forgot to state that I hope to the hardware move to 1080p playback with the explicit acknowledgement from Apple that there are no plans for iTunes HD movies to move to 1080p. This way I can play 1080p home created files or trailers in their full glory.

The Blu-ray rips that you speak of have been recompressed. There's no way to take a Blu-ray video file running 15GB and 30+ Megabits per second and compress that down to 4GB without hammering the mbps and stripping audio channels.

Regarding the qualitative difference it's pretty clear 1080p video is a bigger pill to manage.

720P video

1280 * 720 = 921,600 bits per frame
921,600 * 24 frames per second = 22, 118,400 bits per second
22,118,400 / 8 = 2,764,800 MB

1080p video

1920 * 1080 = 2, 073,600 bits per frame
2,073,600 * 24 fps = 49,766,400
49,766,400 / 8 = 6,220,800 MB

There's no way around it...if you want 1080p you have to use a lot more data.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #71 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

But the CE4100 does it all in one chip with a lower power dissipation:

9400M TDP is about 12 W, Atom CPUs used in the ION platform are between 2.5 W and 8 W, making a total of at least 14.5 W.

On the other hand, the CE4100 does the job of both chips and consumes 7 to 9 watts.

Apple could even base the AppleTV on the iPhone/iPod touch platform, and it would consume even less power, however that would require a ground-up re-write of the software, whereas an ION or CE4100 solution would just require "tweaks".

At the moment, the energy efficiency of the AppleTV is dreadful; something Apple should be ashamed of (and the evidence suggests they are, there's no details of the AppleTV in Apple's environment pages).

Im sold! Is this Atom on the market yet?

If it really can reduce the power consumption that much I have to assume it can reduce the heat tremendously, it also looks like it can reduce the size. Hopefully that means that can put in a 3.5 HDD into it.

How would this CPU work out if they made an AppleTV SDK?
post #72 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

... that was completely random.

Back on topic.

I really hope ATV 3.0 offers a lot more than iTunes LP art... I'm already thinking of selling mine, my Xbox (I hardly game) and DVD Player and just getting a Mini.

I can't stress enough how wonderful a mini is when it is setup properly as a htpc. And as a file server. And as a print server. And as back up for time machine. And...well you get the idea.
Other then loosing your gaming machine I think you won't regret it.
Even my wife who could care less about tech gear loves the way I have set up our mini.
post #73 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I still believe that the next incarnation of an AppleTV will be integrated with a LG supplied TV. I don't see a future for an independent box as it is.

Plus, I don't listen to Piper Jaffray, unless I plan to buy or sell some AAPL. Because they are always trying to manipulate the stock price with their "insights."

Try again, LG & Netflix have already been working on a TV
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/netflix/default.htm

Microsoft XBox already streams Netflix
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/netflix/default.htm

And Sony Playstation is already partnered with Netflix.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...station-3/?hpw

Although if you have a Netflix subsription you can stream them to your computer. I know it works with PC. Not sure about Mac.
post #74 of 112
Quote:

I’m sold! Is this Atom on the market yet?

It was released a month ago by the looks of it.

Quote:

If it really can reduce the power consumption that much I have to assume it can reduce the heat tremendously, it also looks like it can reduce the size

Exactly.

Quote:

How would this CPU work out if they made an AppleTV SDK?

Well, the Atom part of the CE4100 is an x86 processor running at 1.2 GHz, but it's much, much simpler than say a Core 2 Duo; it has fewer execution units and doesn't do out-of-order processing, so you get lower performance per clock relative to a Core 2 Duo (not surprising given it consumes 10 times less power). The CE4100 includes the same 3D graphics engine as the iPhone 3GS.

Conclusion: certainly an AppleTV SDK would be feasible, third-parties would be able to deliver games with the same graphics complexity and performance as those for the iPhone.
post #75 of 112
Quote:

and you quote an entire 8 paragraph article not related to the Magic Mouse because?
post #76 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Conclusion: certainly an AppleTV SDK would be feasible, third-parties would be able to deliver games with the same graphics complexity and performance as those for the iPhone.

How well would that scale up to a TV sized display?
post #77 of 112
Quote:

How well would that scale up to a TV sized display?

My initial query that Mr. H reaponded to eluded 3rd-party apps being made specifially for the AppleTV, so they would be native.
post #78 of 112
Quote:

My initial query that Mr. H reaponded to eluded 3rd-party apps being made specifially for the AppleTV, so they would be native.

I'm just unsure of what he meant by same graphics complexity as the iPhone. How good would the games look on a TV? Part of the reason games look good on the iPhone is that it has a fairly high pixel density and relatively low pixel count. How well could a chip with similar graphics capabilities perform at higher pixel counts? I'm not an expert at this, just trying to get a feel for what games could look like on a TV.

Are we talking better or worse than the Wii for example?
post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is BluRay that much superior to HD?

How much is that?

Blu-ray 1080p is vastly superior to iTunes HD. Blu-ray is quite a bit better than ATSC HD, especially if the viewer is sitting near the display - as is the norm with a computer monitor - or during action sequences where compression artifacts look lousy.
post #80 of 112
Quote:

Are we talking better or worse than the Wii for example?

Much worse than the Wii.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV 3.0 software update to support iTunes LP, Extras