or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Flash playback issues reported on Apple's new 27-inch iMacs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flash playback issues reported on Apple's new 27-inch iMacs - Page 3

post #81 of 107
I totally agree with this I was using 64 bit Linux five years ago and had to run Firefox in 32bit mode for the flash plugin to work.

There is no alternative to Adobe, the ball is squarely in Adobes court developers who rely solely on Flash to present their content are just as bad as those who messed up the web for years by catering only to Internet Explorer while ignoring open standards.

First thing I do in Windows and Linux is install Firefox with the no script plug in so I can choose whether or not to overload my system with flash, now I have a Mac I use click to flash in Safari.

If a website isn't navigable without flash I go somewhere else for what I want.

Adobe only caters to the largest market segment, i.e. Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Flash on 32bit Linux is better. Flash on 64bit Linux is far less acceptable.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #82 of 107
Flash is terrible. Brand new hardware often has small issues. Most users cause problems themselves by doing too much at once. Yeah yeah, Macs should multi task as well as single task. Guess what? They don't.
post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Your point is well taken; however, Apple has abstracted the API so far away from the hardware that most objective-C programmers don't understand the idioms of the iPhone hardware architecture. [...] This has everything to do with Cocoa Touch and object-oriented programming. A well formed collection of Frameworks such as this is exactly what is needed for a more transparent port...isn't this obvious?

No, it's not obvious, correct, or even relevant to my point, and it has nothing to do with hardware abstraction per se. If you are a Flash developer, you've exactly proved my point of not understanding what's involved in making a "good" app on a specific platform. And, whether you are or aren't a Flash developer, I think yours is exactly the attitude that most Flash developers will bring to using Flash to develop for the iPhone, and why Flash based iPhone apps will be low quality iPhone apps.
post #84 of 107
The issue with flash is not just affecting the new 27inch. I have a 20" iMac purchased in September which I have clean installed Snow Leopard. I have it setup with fast user switching.

My wife uses Firefox and I use Safari. When she has a web page open in Firefox with flash active on it and I switch to my account the processor constantly sits at 125% utilisation. I have loaded click to flash which helps a bit but doesn't reduce the utilisation.

When I switch to my wife's account with Safari when open on a flash page in my account it utilises around 75% processor.

Adobe obviously needs to do something fast, and Mozilla needs to improve the way flash is handled in Firefox especially in Multi users setups.
post #85 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, it's not obvious, correct, or even relevant to my point, and it has nothing to do with hardware abstraction per se. If you are a Flash developer, you've exactly proved my point of not understanding what's involved in making a "good" app on a specific platform. And, whether you are or aren't a Flash developer, I think yours is exactly the attitude that most Flash developers will bring to using Flash to develop for the iPhone, and why Flash based iPhone apps will be low quality iPhone apps.

As I mentioned before, I'm a DSP/Microcontroller programmer, I'm also an iPhone registered developer and a Flash programmer for Los Alamos National Laboratories. This discussion with you us a waste of time because you are so incredibly uninformed because you don't have vision for the future of software. It is obvious, you just don't see it yet. Study OOP, then look further into design patterns... Look at the next phase of FPGAs and the development of hardware archItectures in relation to advancements in software. You opinions are respected, they just have no basis in fact. Good day my friend
post #86 of 107
Adobe's Responce to Apple.

"Why should we spend hours of R&D for your OS, when your hardware is a regular PC capable of running Windows, and a good number of your customers run that OS? We should only dev for Windows. If your customers want to run Adobe Flash well, tell them to boot to VMware."

(Well, of course they didn't say that, but I wouldn't be surprised. I don't like the idea at all, and wish they had more support for Apple and Linux... but who knows.)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #87 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

piece of advice for you (hey look I can spell!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8309218.stm

situation can change with time.

Lawsuits will happen because of the outage of the service not specifically the loss of data.


Can you hear Apple fessing up to problems with the iMac.??

***tumbleweed blows past***

just works..

sorry I do not go for cheap shots like you, just kindergarden behaviour!
post #88 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

read much..??

All I was saying is that other users are reporting issues with their iMacs that aren't flash related.

rest of your post is waffle and verbiage from a non existent argument.

please tell me why it is nonexistent because you say so..
Sorry mate, I do not value your opinion that high. Try and have a nice day.
post #89 of 107
You are clearly a moron.
The problem is not the hardware since it runs fine (or at least 'normally') under Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp.
It also runs in Snow Leopard running Windows under virtualization.
The only problems is the mac version running under Snow Leopard. Using top (activity monitor) clearly shows the problem is occurring in the Flash software.
Is this just another example of the fine work of Adobe's "extremely talented group of programers?"
Or is it just that I have bought crappy Apple and HP harware and wrongly blame Adobe for the poor performance of their software.
I suggest you get yourself a higher wattage light bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

LOL....The light bulb just went on for me in a small sense....Flash has about 93% penetration on the web which probably accounts for millions of computers, but, you have experienced problems with Flash on ALL computers....the data says to me that ALL your computers are crappy...LOL

Adobe has an extremely talented group of programmers...they know whats going on, CS5 allows for Flash developers to create native iPhone apps that can be posted to the app store...this is Huge! With your mentality, you'd probably say were gonna get crappy apps, but remember, there are already many crappy apps posted to the app store....so don't continue your blind bias in the future and stereotype all bad iPhone apps to Flash...but good news for you, you won't be able to buy a crappy iPhone like the crappy computers you bought in the past.
post #90 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

sorry I do not go for cheap shots like you, just kindergarden behaviour!

of course, the fact that you are flat wrong has nothing to do with it...
post #91 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

please tell me why it is nonexistent because you say so..
Sorry mate, I do not value your opinion that high. Try and have a nice day.


most of what you post is nonsense.

you mentioned stats and figures when that wasn't even close to what I was actually posting.

once more.

THE ISSUE WITH THE IMAC'S ISN'T NECESSARILY DOWN TO FLASH!
post #92 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

most of what you post is nonsense.

you mentioned stats and figures when that wasn't even close to what I was actually posting.

once more.

THE ISSUE WITH THE IMAC'S ISN'T NECESSARILY DOWN TO FLASH!

little frustrated, no need to shout, I can read your words quite clearly. btw: you missed my point, but to be frank, not going to get heated about the issue.

Some people have stated that it is due to Flash and some have not, really don't mind, since the level of significance is not high enough to worry, just to discuss.
Now point of my post was you mention it like it is major issue, which it is not.
post #93 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

of course, the fact that you are flat wrong has nothing to do with it...

again your opinion, all speculation on your part and you must be right
post #94 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

again your opinion, all speculation on your part and you must be right

is this a smiley competition now....

you're a joke fella.
post #95 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

is this a smiley competition now....

you're a joke fella.

you are joke mate, you do not know fact from opinion and say you are right, prefer to laugh at you, then try and discuss anything with you.
post #96 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

is this a smiley competition now....

you're a joke fella.

Cut him some slack

He spends everyday worshiping his Steve Jobs and creating slide shows in iPhoto. He doesn't think, he just follows whatever Steve Jobs says
post #97 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

As I mentioned before, I'm a DSP/Microcontroller programmer, I'm also an iPhone registered developer and a Flash programmer for Los Alamos National Laboratories. This discussion with you us a waste of time because you are so incredibly uninformed because you don't have vision for the future of software. It is obvious, you just don't see it yet. Study OOP, then look further into design patterns... Look at the next phase of FPGAs and the development of hardware archItectures in relation to advancements in software. You opinions are respected, they just have no basis in fact. Good day my friend

Let's take a look at one of your sentences:

"This discussion with you us a waste of time because you are so incredibly uninformed because you don't have vision for the future of software."

While syntacticly not a complete disaster, it's a semantic train wreck. Why would someone's lack of vision cause them to be uninformed? There just doesn't seem to be any logic there at all. I'm guessing this is pretty much what any apps you create will be like too.

Although you are firmly convinced that you know what you are talking about, you are in fact utterly clueless, my friend.
post #98 of 107
I picked this up on the Apple forums and it has repaired my Flash issue in Snowkitty:

Hit a page giving you a Flash error message?

Quit your browsers.

Go to your user account

Library | Preferences | Macromedia |

Remove contents of the Macromedia folder (s/b a folder called Flash Player).

Restart browser (contents of Macromedia folder will repopulate).

Return to problem site. Issue should be resolved.

As I mentioned, this worked for me. Your milage may vary.
post #99 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution View Post

I picked this up on the Apple forums and it has repaired my Flash issue in Snowkitty:

Hit a page giving you a Flash error message?

Quit your browsers.

Go to your user account

Library | Preferences | Macromedia |

Remove contents of the Macromedia folder (s/b a folder called Flash Player).

Restart browser (contents of Macromedia folder will repopulate).

Return to problem site. Issue should be resolved.

As I mentioned, this worked for me. Your milage may vary.

How did the Flash Player get restored, and what version was restored? Are you implying the entire issue is a result of an outdated Flash plugin on the new Macs?
post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

How did the Flash Player get restored, and what version was restored? Are you implying the entire issue is a result of an outdated Flash plugin on the new Macs?

I believe the implication is that the problem, at least in some cases, is related to bad or corrupted preferences.
post #101 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

Cut him some slack

He spends everyday worshiping his Steve Jobs and creating slide shows in iPhoto. He doesn't think, he just follows whatever Steve Jobs says

wonder who this is, usually IMO kindergarden replies
post #102 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

wonder who this is, usually IMO kindergarden replies

I also forgot to add that he dresses like a clueless hipster and sips his starbucks latte while playing with iChat video effects!
post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

I also forgot to add that he dresses like a clueless hipster and sips his starbucks latte while playing with iChat video effects!

If you had a valid point to make in this thread it's now lost.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #104 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you had a valid point to make in this thread it's now lost.

funny though....
post #105 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

I also forgot to add that he dresses like a clueless hipster and sips his starbucks latte while playing with iChat video effects!

You may want pay attention, I live in Mumbai, India, we do not have Starbucks, waste of money to pay $5 for a coffee, when you can easily make it yourself.

It was funny, if I lived in US/Western Europe!
post #106 of 107
Has anyone tried switching safari to 32 bit mode? I've come across a few web applications that don't respond well to 64 bits. All i had to do was switch safari to run in 32 bit mode and it worked fine.
post #107 of 107
I've been reading around after encountering the problem myself on an ATI equipped 21.5" model.

Apparently the Airport problems that AppleInsider reported on are meant to be the cause for the performance spikes and major lag while watching videos or generally doing anything slightly graphical within the OS interface like hovering over exit or minimise buttons. It can be helped by restarting AirPort when the issue arises but this is only a temporary fix until it happens again.

Apple are releasing the next patch for Snow Leopard soon and I know there's an AirPort fix in it as well as lots of others so we all just have to be patient until it arrives. The patch should fix everything.

Just remember, there are always problems with new hardware/software combinations like this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Flash playback issues reported on Apple's new 27-inch iMacs