or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac

First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac - Page 3

post #81 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

Their products are annoyingly close to satisfying some peoples needs.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
post #82 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's fact. Unless you have proof that i was actually sugesting people do it, then kindly refrain from accusing me of:

a) stealing
b) encouraging theft

The smart thing for YOU to do is to ask members to not discuss the issue, not go about accusing people of encouraging theft!

Sorry about that. I didn't suggest you were stealing. But it sure looked like you were talking the code words for suggesting it, and you don't seem to realize it.

It would seem that you would have known that while your answer is technically correct, it wasn't actually answering the question except in the way you chose to read it. You clearly knew that the other person was wanting to know where to get the legitimate 1080p media on a Mac, but you couldn't say that there wasn't much to be had. The legit stuff out there is generally trailers, podcasts and some random sample clips.

The 27" iMac seems to be the nicest consumer computer out there, and it's a shame that the media you can legitimately play on a Mac isn't the top quality that's out there. And that's the reality. I think the compromise would be if Apple would sell SD, 720 and 1080 at the same time and let the user decide which to get.
post #83 of 231
Does anyone know if the screen condensation problem on last generation iMacs has been solved?

If the glass isn't sealed onto the frame (it appears it isn't) then fan placement is basically the only way to handle the issue.
post #84 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Glass is reflective material . And the glossy display is stunning.

The matte whiners need to switch to dell .

good post .

peace 9

Hmmm, I went last weekend to Apple store with $ 3.000 on credit card ready to buy one quad core and carry it home. But I left without it - the glossy screen looked so bad in the store full of light I really could not get any reason to spend all my money on it. Glossy screen in light environment sucks hard. Instead of seeing the desktop I saw myself, people behind my back, all equipment in the store and all lights from the floor reflected on the screen. I intended to use it in my living room as a TV replacement, but with 3 lights and 8 windows I have there it would be unusable. In the dark it might be a gorgeous screen, but as soon as there is more than 1 light source the whole magic is gone. I compared it with 30' HD screen and there was no problem with the same light environment. Too bad there is no anti-glare option. :-(
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #85 of 231
JeffDM,

No worries. It was a misunderstanding. It's gratifying to see your intentions with respect to the discussion were in the right place! Better than a lot of mods on other sites, I can tell you that.

Agree with you completely about the iMac. And yes, i think we're aon the road to Apple elling 1080p, but bandwidth is still an issue. A 1080p movie runs between 20-40gb if I'm not mistaken. There are some very good compression techniques out there that as far as I know are near lossless (I assume that playing around with the audio can also lower file seizes), but I'm not sure how Apple can implement that, if that is even possible.
post #86 of 231
In a perfect world, I'd prefer that the new iMac had both Display Port and HDMI input/output. That would allow for the usage of the display input feature to have the greatest level of compatibility options for users - especially those who are living in small spaces (dorms, studio apartments, etc.)

All that said, what is kind of funny is that up until now there was no option at all to use the display for any purpose other than with the built-in processor and here we are being frustrated that apple didn't give us the option to have HDMI or DVI input. As an additional FYI, the mac actually can't be completely shut down when this is being utilized (I.E. the processor is still cycling).

For me, while I wish that they also had HDMI or DVI input, I can understand why this is the way it is. DIsplay port had this capability and apple simply chose to enable it with an existing port in the design. They could have chosen to leave the input feature out all-together. True, and I agree that Apple is missing a potential market of these machines being a true full "media hub", but they also do this in other areas. Witness the mac mini. If there isn't ever a machine that should have HDMI on it (aka use as a media center machine) this is one. True it has DVI, but you still have use additional connection options for audio. Is Apple missing a potential market for the mini that has possible broader adoption than the Apple TV? Sure.

I expect that there will be a number of media houses that will use these machines for rendering along with their macpros. Even just that limited use will be of value and Apple will sell them. True - much smaller than the potential market that is out there with a simple HDMI connector.
post #87 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Hmmm, I went last weekend to Apple store with $ 3.000 on credit card ready to buy one quad core and carry it home. But I left without it - the glossy screen looked so bad in the store full of light I really could not get any reason to spend all my money on it. Glossy screen in light environment sucks hard. Instead of seeing the desktop I saw myself, people behind my back, all equipment in the store and all lights from the floor reflected on the screen. I intended to use it in my living room as a TV replacement, but with 3 lights and 8 windows I have there it would be unusable. In the dark it might be a gorgeous screen, but as soon as there is more than 1 light source the whole magic is gone. I compared it with 30' HD screen and there was no problem with the same light environment. Too bad there is no anti-glare option. :-(

I'm not going to render a judgment on glossy vs matte, but I'm going to assume that the lighting environment in an Apple Store would not necessarily reflect (excuse the pun) the lighting environment in a home or even in most offices. Is that a fair assumption.
post #88 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you're saying that the only way to get 1080p media onto a Mac is to pirate it, it's true, but really, how is that a worthwhile response? It sure looked more likely that you were talking in code so as to not get called on it. If you talk in code, it's pretty easy to deny having said what you really meant.

Quote:

It's fact. Unless you have proof that i was actually sugesting people do it, then kindly refrain from accusing me of:

a) stealing
b) encouraging theft

The smart thing for YOU to do is to ask members to not discuss the issue, not go about accusing people of encouraging theft!

I have to agree with Quadra 610 on this point. I think, JeffDM, you are being a little too quick to judge. Also, I really don't think it a moderator's role to be judging the 'worthwhileness' of responses. If that were the criterion, one could easily make the case for shutting down half of this thread (including a couple of my own posts).
post #89 of 231
Quote:

Sorry about that. I didn't suggest you were stealing.

Quote:

JeffDM,

No worries. It was a misunderstanding. It's gratifying to see your intention....

Nice to see that gentleman-liness prevails yet again on AI!
post #90 of 231
Quote:

Except for the first picture, I don't see anything in the pictures that would tell me that the camera is bad. In fact, it looks like the others are taken using different cameras, even in different surroundings. The others look pretty nice. I doubt you can get that kind of shallow depth of field with a cell phone camera.

If the lighting is bad, what you do to fix that is buy a light kit, not a camera kit.

man, don't be ridiculous, there's no white balance (if you do auto level, contrast or even auto color with any in PS, will see the difference), especially look at the pict with the keyboards. And the straight lines are curved in almost all of the picts, and there's hardly any sharpness. This is exactly what a cellphone camera does. (I don't wanna' ask if it's been taken with an iPhone3GS.)

But I know it's not so important when others just repeatedly argue about displayport and blueray I'm sorry about my post.
post #91 of 231
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY-
your worst nightmare is BACK!
post #92 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have to agree with Quadra 610 on this point. I think, JeffDM, you are being a little too quick to judge. Also, I really don't think it a moderator's role to be judging the 'worthwhileness' of responses. If that were the criterion, one could easily make the case for shutting down half of this thread (including a couple of my own posts).

In Jeff's defense, he was correct in spirit. The subject in question was a touchy one, anyway. Not always easy to deal with, and it's difficult to craft guidelines about it. I mean, AI's are pretty good in this particular area, but not exhaustive, because they really can't be. If there was an attempt to make them exhaustive, we run the risk of eliminating subjects like Psystar's Rebel EFI hack, hackintosh discussions, etc. I might be stretching it here, but it could go in that direction.

But thanks for noticing the resolution. It doesn't always happen that way around here.
post #93 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Trick! :P

And on Halloween night, too.
post #94 of 231
Quote:

Thank you- yes it does. I can't believe while I was away that I've been misquoted left and right! (not by you but nonetheless)
post #95 of 231
Quote:

no HDMI trick... no purchase?
post #96 of 231
Quote:

Trick! :P

And on Halloween night, too.

More like treat.
Aren't you glad the AppleTV got the My files at the top of the list plus search your own files as well ( as I've championed for the last 2 years (let's give credit where credit is due)) even though I know you have the WD ( which I still have to check out but we have a World Series going on here).
Now I'm not trying to derail the thread- I just gotta out of jail and had to SHOUT that out.
post #97 of 231
Quote:

I just gotta out of jail and had to SHOUT that out.

But you already did, Mr. Something-or-the-otheraid?
post #98 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

no HDMI trick... no purchase?

Well I was misquoted on the APPLETV thread as stating "No Blu-ray no purchase" by He Who has 11,000 plus posts. But it does apply here.

I mean such a wasted beautiful screen:

1.) No Blu-Ray
2.) No HDMI for external Blu-Ray device.
3.) Ancient low definition iSight camera.
4.) No TV tuner.

I will wait for Generation II.
Note I haven't even mentioned matte.
post #99 of 231
Quote:

More like treat.
Aren't you glad the AppleTV got the My files at the top of the list plus search your own files as well ( as I've championed for the last 2 years (let's give credit where credit is due)) even though I know you have the WD ( which I still have to check out but we have a World Series going on here).
Now I'm not trying to derail the thread- I just gotta out of jail and had to SHOUT that out.

AppleTV got better, yes indeed. I'm not keeping up with it's development that much, though.

Still waiting for HD content availability on the Canadian iTunes store. That's right, as far as I can tell we still don't have it.
post #100 of 231
Quote:

But you already did, Mr. Something-or-the-otheraid?

Say What?
post #101 of 231
Quote:

I don't think the iMac necessarily is any more a TV than the original Mac, which is the same concept, putting the computer in the same chassis. You can play videos on iMacs (I don't recall if the original Mac could play video files), but it's still a computer.

Well, the main thing is the iTMS with renting movies and subscribing to TV series. Sure, you can do that on any computer, but with the iMac you can use a VESA compliant mount and put the whole iMac on your wall. If you like a la carte for television then the iTMS and/or Netflix (plus all the network sites) would be your thing. Hence the TV and cable replacements.

Of course a 27" is not a good replacement for a 40" and above LCD or LED television but for everything else maybe.

It is just a matter of time when a la carte is the norm and not the exception. Cable's On-Demand is not the stop-gap for a la cart. You're still paying the high monthly fee for a lot of junk you don't want anyway.
post #102 of 231
Quote:

I don't think the iMac necessarily is any more a TV than the original Mac, which is the same concept, putting the computer in the same chassis. You can play videos on iMacs (I don't recall if the original Mac could play video files), but it's still a computer.

The original iMacSE could play Quicktime files and was marketed as a entertainment alternative and even included "A Bugs Life" DVD in the box with it advertised on the box itself.

Jeff- thank you for being a very fair moderator on here and not a dictator either, the best.
post #103 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

As one of the matte fans, it's not a matter of a little whining.

I have sensitive eyes & glare causes severe strain. IT HURTS to use a glossy display!!!

For what Apple charges for their products, there's no reason they can't spend an extra buck on non-reflective glass (it's available if they bothered).

When my matte iMac dies, it looks like Apple is giving me three options: Go used, go Dell, or go Amish.
Too bad one can't be Apple.

i regret saying that
i hope you can resolve the glare issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a bit beyond the pale.

You are calling them tacky for having a link to the product sales page, but you're posting about how people can cheat Apple by faking educational status?

I think I can see who's the tacky one without scruples and it isn't AppleInsider.

my wife works for the board of ed so i qualify
all i said was apple never asked for proof
which tells me this discount is available to anyone who asks
i spent in total over 3400 dollars on my MBP and SW

beyond the pale
please dude
AI is a site that makes money from selling ads
they also shill for mac discounters
IT IS tacky to boost a product and then direct you to buy it to someone who pays them to direct you , it is very low foir such a great web site to do this .
i will ignore your insult
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #104 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

spot on!

spot off
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #105 of 231
I got to play with the 27" yesterday. Holy cow its big. Also seemed to run awfully hot compared to my oldie
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #106 of 231
Quote:

spot off

I've arrived - at your service, MASTER! lol Happy Halloween
post #107 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I was waiting for that. While I like AppleInsider for many things, their ability to cite themselves as authoritative sources is a little nuts - to whit:

And the stated specifications link links to.... another AI article!

No where - NO WHERE does Apple state that port will only ever support display port. They have said they have adaptors pending. Now whether those adaptors convert HDMI or composite (really, with HDMI so prevalent in consumer electronics I don't know why they would bother) to display port or not, I find it hard to believe that Apple would just summarily ignore that whole segment. But why would they say adaptors are pending when if all they had intentions of supporting was display port - which can be supported right now by a simple cable?

I dunno. I could be off my rocker and Apple could be that obtuse (they have sometimes been in the past) but I have a hard time believing it. As others have pointed out, you could buy the 27" as a high resolution monitor, ignore the Mac that's built in and still be ahead. One would hope there is more to this...

D P is a new type of video that does not easily convert from the ones we use now >so no adapter can fix that . This info i have culled form AI articles so i may be wrong .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #108 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I got to play with the 27" yesterday. Holy cow its big. Also seemed to run awfully hot compared to my oldie

Did you notice more glare with all that screen real estate?
post #109 of 231
Quote:

I've arrived - at your service, MASTER! lol Happy Halloween

i can now go to sleep
welcome back
the dogs are barking

peace dude
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #110 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Doesn't really matter if it equal the best HD set on teh market bacause it doesnt really have the ability to playback HD content for the expection of trailers. Which is really a waste for this screen.

I DL from itunes HD media and play it on my MBP all the time and it looks better than the reg media from itunes . So i m,ay have missed your point. My point is a TV larger than 38in NEEDS bluray or HD or else the media shown looks quite shabby.

Its possible i missed the whole point altogether.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #111 of 231
Quote:

Welcome back.

Just don't turn into a spoookey witch to soon.

Dave
post #112 of 231
Quote:

In Jeff's defense, he was correct in spirit. The subject in question was a touchy one, anyway. Not always easy to deal with, and it's difficult to craft guidelines about it. I mean, AI's are pretty good in this particular area, but not exhaustive, because they really can't be. If there was an attempt to make them exhaustive, we run the risk of eliminating subjects like Psystar's Rebel EFI hack, hackintosh discussions, etc. I might be stretching it here, but it could go in that direction.

It would be a sad world indeed if we couldn't talk about things that make others uncomfortable. However I can see the need for moderation of the forums. In this case after reading through the thread I do think there was a bit of an over reaction.

The other side of the coin here is that there are perfectly legal place where you can find high quality HD content. These tend to be demos, trailers and short features but they exist.
Quote:

But thanks for noticing the resolution. It doesn't always happen that way around here.

Problems often come up when you have too many people online having a bad day. Or possible just not understanding the comments being made.

Dave
post #113 of 231
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i don;t understand ??
what is a 1080p movie ? apple HD is 720p ?

and this whole back and forth between friends here is surreal
i am happy you guys shook hands over this misunderstanding

pirates have cost tens of thousands of jobs worldwide . i await the day they are no more

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #114 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I n.

The other side of the coin here is that there are perfectly legal place where you can find high quality HD content. These tend to be demos, trailers and short features but they exist.

Dave

amazon has tons of legal HD for DL . does this not work on a mac ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #115 of 231
Quote:

amazon has tons of legal HD for DL . does this not work on a mac ?

not to mention you can attach a bluray external drive to it.

Btw I am very pro piracy in some respects: if you buy a blue Ray disc for your living room player why instead of ripping it yourself to some h.264 codec shouldn't you be able to download somebody elses rip over the net. You own the disc in the first place.
post #116 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woei View Post

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Does this mean that the card can drive an external monitor up to a resolution of 2560x1600, next to the iMacs's own native 2560x1440 resolution, or that the total maximum resolution is limited to 2560x1600 ?

Concretely, since I already own a 24" ACD screen (mini-display port), I'm wondering whether I can attach it to a 27" iMac to get a grand total resolution of 4480x2640, and do so at reasonable performance.

I know, it would be a rather obscene resolution. A couple of years ago I was still stuck at 800x600 on a 15" CRT. How times change :-)

LOL you might want to check your math.
post #117 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Well since these machines have only one hard drive and no eSata, in audio you need three HDd
!

Over 5000 posts and you still know how to quote articles correctly!
Excellent!
post #118 of 231
I am looking to buy but waiting a while to see if any issues come out.

The only issues I have heard of so far are:
- Flash video
- Screen flicker
- Excessively noisy hard drives

The Flash issue doesn't happen when booted in to Windows, so it's not a hardware thing, and doesn't happen on other Macs with Snow Leopard. So is probably the ATI driver, or some other part of Snow Leopard other Macs don't have.

The noisy hard drives all appear to be WD Black drives, but in a shop near here a 27" had a Seagate 1TB inside, and was quiet, so I guess it's luck of the draw. Screen flicker has not be resolved yet AFAIK.
post #119 of 231
Who wants that shit for shit keyboard? It's so disproportionate!!!!
post #120 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Give me a break. This isn't the New York Times (and they even screw up as far as the "purists" are concerned). Like it or not this site (and many others) are supported by ad revenue. I was just on three other photography sites earlier this morning and every single one of them have affiliate links.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRGood4U View Post

Very well said. I actually consider the links and price guide a pretty good service cause it helped me save about $300 on my MBP a few months ago, which was about $150 more than the cheapest prices on price grabber and other compare engines at the time.

Ive used their discount guides several times to find the best rates.

Quote:

Spot on! (Perhaps AI should offer a non-ad-supported subscription version: let's see how many of these 'morally indignant' types would sign on).

The setup might be costly and cumbersome without actually resulting in a net profit. If automatically removed any of Teckstuds posts, including the quoted comments in replies I may change my feelings on the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's a great machine in so many ways, except one - no blu-ray. I will not pay so much money for a system with a 10 year old optical drive.

Add a blu-ray burner, and I buy. Until then, I have Windows 7 to keep my old PC running for as long as it takes.

1) The optical drive in the iMac is not 10 years old. That slim-loading drive nor those speeds and all the features were around in 1999.

2) If you want a Blu-ray player, buy one. Internal or external, your choice. I dont understand the complaints that Apple doesnt offer the exact setup one wants but then also chooses not to take the most rudimentary of action to get that option. Youll have to install Windows Vista or 7 play HDCP protected media but the display on the iMac is surely much nicer than what you have now, even though its still far from ideal for how most people want to watch protected video on Blu-ray media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I do. But let me be perfectly clear, I do not want a Blu-ray drive on my Mac to watch movies. [] And yes, I'm disappointed every time there's a refresh and there's still no Blu-ray burner. My luck, I'll buy a 3rd party burner and Apple will add the option next year.

Then spend substantially less money than Apple will offer for a slim, slot-loading Blur-ray burner buy buying your own external. Since you dont want to use it for movies then you have no additional caveats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Aside from the 720p stuff from Apple and any content you make yourself, where are you getting HD content to play on it? (Ripped Blu-ray movies don't count).

Besides what Quadra 610 already said, there are 720p and 1080p podcasts, you can play video that you recorded with your camcorder, copy over video you saved to your TiVo, and even play Blu-ray movies in Windows via BootCamp by simply buying your own Blu-ray player. Why this idea that its impossible to do if Apple doesnt supply the expensive option that few want for their PCs. Its ideal tech for the home theater technology, not for consumer PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

When my matte iMac dies, it looks like Apple is giving me three options: Go used, go Dell, or go Amish.
Too bad one can't be Apple.

Going Amish means that an Apple is an actual Apple. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is very little HD content available for downloading, even more so for streaming because most users do not have the bandwidth to stream HD content.

Then they can watch it on their HDTVs, where Blu-ray movies were designed to be watched, buy from a different PC vendor or install Windows and buy their own Blu-ray player if they are one of the few that want to watch 1080p movies on their computer.

Quote:
Blu Ray is not available from Apple while its available from HP, Dell and Sony.

Available, yes, but not for all their systems, and being available doesnt mean that its being bought. You are upset that Apple doesnt cater to your specific needs on every level. That will never happen. Macs do not fit your needs so buy a different machine. Its that simple. Dells dont fit my needs but you dont see me writing about how much Dell sucks for not including this feature or for including a feature that Ill never use. Its silly. You dont have to like it, but as an adult you should accept it.

Quote:
This is typical Apple, build something that doesn't support what the rest fo the world uses. You can try to put any slant on this you want but there isn't anyone (except you) that doesnt think this entire display port issues is beyond stupid.

The rest of the world, except for Japan, likely has Blu-ray acceptance in PCs lower than the US. If you want to hook up your Mac to an HDTV then do so. The adapter is cheap.

Quote:
Even in the dark deep woods of Canada you may have heard of something called HDMI. You know the standard the rest of the world uses.

The rest of the world? I bet there are more devices connected with Composite video or coax than with HDMI. Oh, and Apple supports HDMI output from all Macs with DP or DVI, so I guess they support that standard. BTW, standard means very little as there are plenty of standards out there. It does mean its the most common method, and it certainly isnt the most common method for connecting PCs to monitors. If you havent figured it out yet, Apples Macs are consumer PCs.

Quote:
You cant site quality or premium this time because there isnt any more premium then HDMI.

DisplayPort is considerably more premium and more future-forward than HDMI without costing a premium to use.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First Look: Apple's 27" big screen iMac