or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hit-or-miss site claims 4G iPhone part; French exclusivity ends

Hit-or-miss site claims 4G iPhone part; French exclusivity ends

post #1 of 35
A Chinese Web site that has leaked parts of Apple products in the past with varying degrees of accuracy has claimed to have a fourth-generation iPhone part; and the French government has nixed the exclusive agreement between Apple and Orange.

Purported 4G iPhone part pictured

AppleInsider was informed this week of an alleged fourth-generation iPhone midboard claimed to be provided by Apple's handset manufacturer, Foxconn. ChinaOntrade.com, a wholesale parts supplier, said it received the part on Nov. 1.

While Gizmodo noted that China Ontrade was accurate with an iPhone 3GS screen before the hardware was unveiled in June, the Web site also mistakenly claimed that a Creative Zii Egg bezel was from a forthcoming iPhone.

The site states that the hardware has an "amazingly beautiful back," and photos of it will be provided soon. The internal hardware does not offer any clear suggestions of potential new features of a forthcoming iPhone model.

Last month, the same Web site provided a SIM tray alleged to be from either an Apple "iTablet" or fourth-generation iPhone. That part, too, was reportedly received from Foxconn.

Orange loses French iPhone exclusivity

Apple and wireless carrier Orange have ceased their exclusive contract for the iPhone early after a ruling from the French competition authority, according to Down Jones Newswires.

The injunction was originally issued in December 2008 as a temporary and precautionary measure. Apple and France Telecom, the parent company of Orange, were also prevented from entering into exclusive agreements for any other handsets.

Orange and Apple has reportedly originally entered into a five-year agreement. Following the ruling from local regulators, contract-free iPhones were sold in France.
post #2 of 35
Who cares about the back? Apple uses a hyper scratch inducive plastic/metal anyway which require cases for all their products.
post #3 of 35
Hahaha one more iphone to add to the list...
post #4 of 35
Isn't it too early for iPhone rumors?! We still have the next MB, MBP, Mac Pro, and iPhone 4.0 to go through before we even consider new iPhone hardware
post #5 of 35
I do not get the WSJ article and its echo here,

I bought a Bouygues Telecom iPhone in July, non jailbroken, with contract, paid 129.
Maybe the exclusivity contract between Orange and Apple has been officially cancelled today, but exclusivity has been a thing of the past here for quite some time...
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Isn't it too early for iPhone rumors?! We still have the next MB, MBP, Mac Pro, and iPhone 4.0 to go through before we even consider new iPhone hardware

the test hardware is probably being tested right now

it's not like Apple announces a new iphone and only starts producing it that day

for the 3GS and OS 3, AdMob reported seeing a test version of OS3 hit it's servers from 2 handsets in San Francisco starting around December 2008
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

it's not like Apple announces a new iphone and only starts producing it that day

for the 3GS and OS 3, AdMob reported seeing a test version of OS3 hit it's servers from 2 handsets in San Francisco starting around December 2008

Keep in mind that may very well have been pieces and parts of the hardware and OS - as opposed to a fully operational complete package. our point is still valid that testing and manufacture has to be underway well before the final product hits the shelves - even in a case where a factory can produce thousands of units a day if you want to move a million units the first weekend you need weeks in advance to ramp up.

So it is entirely possible that pieces and parts that will end up in the 4G iPhone are already being made for test units.
post #8 of 35
The picture seems to imply that this item is for sale for the price of $23.42 as from November 1, 2009.
Any buyers?
post #9 of 35
I hear the iPhone 4 has a new killer feature: the ability to call someone.
post #10 of 35
Is the slit alongside the camera hole for a camera flash? I and many others need to take pictures in low light. It was a pain placing people under lights on Halloween.
Where's the bets that it gets a flash? I go on record that it will get one.
solipsism will say no because it whittles down the profit margin, not needed, or some other nonsensical excuse.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Not sure what you actually mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ability to make or receive phone calls on the AT&T system. It is as efficient as any and probably even better in most many markets. It is very very rare that I have a dropped call from my end. I have noticed it happens semi regularly when I talk to people on the Sprint system. That is a Sprint problem, not an AT&T problem.
post #12 of 35
Quote:

That sounds like witchcraft to me - talk to someone without being connected by wires.

You're living in some sort of future dreamland there my friend.
post #13 of 35
Quote:

On its own? Like in The Shining or was it Poltergeist?
post #14 of 35
Quote:

post #15 of 35
1) The Orange exclusivity means nothing. Apple can sell the handset to other vendors at a higher price while Orange still gets favourable treatment. Capitalism for the win!

2) I have to call fake on this. That piece doesn’t look like something Apple would design. That part looks extraneous when you look at the break down of the 3GS. Why include it unless it’s a poorly engineered knock off? And why does it cost $23?

• iPhone 3GS teardown ::

http://s2.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...nTLuW3N1.large
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

I wouldn’t think the test hardware would be using the actual case this far in advance, but maybe they are, especially if they are trying something new the case and want to test it’s effectiveness.

I hope the case doesn’t change next year so that cases and other accessories still work, but this is Apple. I’m surprised we got the same external design two years in a row.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

solipsism will say no because it whittles down the profit margin, not needed, or some other nonsensical excuse.

Don’t quote me until you can learn to learn basic reading comprehension. Profit margin isn’t the issue, the issue is you whining all the time even on threads that have nothing to do with the iPhone’s camera. It’s a camera in a thin phone; don’t expect miracles! Either accept the limitation, buy a different phone, or buy a real camera. I bet you still think that Apple didn’t include video on the first two iPhones so you’d be forced to buy the 3GS when it came out.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Chinese Web site that has leaked parts of Apple products in the past with varying degrees of accuracy has claimed to have a fourth-generation iPhone part ...

Even though the good money is on a fairly significant redesign with the next iPhone, anyone with a hint of engineering in their background can see that this really represents a radically different design if this part is real. On the face of it, it looks ridiculous and would add a ton of weight for seemingly no reason.

They seem to be saying that this giant thing is the "mid-board" and that the circuit board would be screwed to it with four giant screws? and that said circuit board would take up the entire phone instead of the current much smaller one? Also, the screen would also have to be attached to one side while the back and the battery attached to the other? None of that makes much sense to me.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

Not sure what you actually mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ability to make or receive phone calls on the AT&T system. It is as efficient as any and probably even better in most many markets. It is very very rare that I have a dropped call from my end. I have noticed it happens semi regularly when I talk to people on the Sprint system. That is a Sprint problem, not an AT&T problem.

I was talking with a friend about her experience with AT&T service, and she said: "Sometimes when..... [bzzzzzzz] and if I go t-[bzzzzzz, scratch, bzzzzzz] then it happens. But I rarely, if ever, drop a [click]"

I couldn't agree more, and I couldn't be more looking forward to an end to the Apple-AT&T monogamy.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its a camera in a thin phone; dont expect miracles! Either accept the limitation, buy a different phone

Good advise.

My phone is 4mm thinner than the 3Gs, has a flash (twin LED), 5MP sensor, autofocus and takes 720x480 30fps video and the quality of both stills and video is excellent. The OS isn't as good though.

Miracles can happen.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo View Post

I was talking with a friend about her experience with AT&T service, and she said: "Sometimes when..... [bzzzzzzz] and if I go t-[bzzzzzz, scratch, bzzzzzz] then it happens. But I rarely, if ever, drop a [click]"

Have you considered that she just didn't want to talk to you, and was making the noises herself???
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Good advise.

My phone is 4mm thinner than the 3Gs, has a flash (twin LED), 5MP sensor, autofocus and takes 720x480 30fps video and the quality of both stills and video is excellent. The OS isn't as good though.

Miracles can happen.

Don’t leave us hanging. Show us this miracle phone whose camera space is 4mm thinner than the area that the iPhone’s camera sits.
post #21 of 35
Quote:

Don’t leave us hanging. Show us this miracle phone whose camera space is 4mm thinner than the area that the iPhone’s camera sits.

post #22 of 35
Quote:

It’s a camera in a thin phone; don’t expect miracles! Either accept the limitation, buy a different phone, or buy a real camera. I bet you still think that Apple didn’t include video on the first two iPhones so you’d be forced to buy the 3GS when it came out.

While I am perfectly happy with my iPhone, having a flash would be a nice added feature. I don't settle for the status quo as you do nor do I find it unreasonable that a cellphone in 2009 could or should have a flash. Apple didn't include video on the first 2 iPhones and they weren't as big a success as the 3Gs has been for it- plain and simple. Even you can read charts and graphs, I would assume.
post #23 of 35
Quote:

Good advise.

Miracles can happen.

How can he not think a flash possible on the iPhone? in 2010? Maybe he has it confused with flash as in Adobe!
post #24 of 35
Quote:

Apple didn't include video on the first 2 iPhones and they weren't as big a success as the 3Gs has been for it- plain and simple.

Even Im surprised that youd say there is a one-to-one correlation to the iPhone adding video and the increased sales. Im sure it had nothing to do with the overall increase of smartphone sales, the increase in other HW and the better features in iPhone v3.0 to go along with the better HW. Absolutely nothing at all. Its surely only a big success because Apple added a video camera - "plain and simple. I bet you think that you were the one that also got Apple to add it and increase the storage capacity by crying on this forum day in and day out about it.
post #25 of 35
Quote:

Is the slit alongside the camera hole for a camera flash? I and many others need to take pictures in low light. It was a pain pushing people under lights on Halloween.

I would have imagined a person with your," cough, cough, sophistication" would have a "working" digital camera for, you know, taking pictures . .... also, is "pushing people under lights on Halloween" the same as "pushing Apple under the bus all the time"?
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #26 of 35
Quote:

Even I’m surprised that you’d say there is a one-to-one correlation to the iPhone adding video and the increased sales. I’m sure it had nothing to do with the overall increase of smartphone sales, the increase in other HW and the better features in iPhone v3.0 to go along with the better HW. Absolutely nothing at all. It’s surely only a “big success” because Apple added a video camera - "plain and simple.” I bet you think that you were the one that also got Apple to add it and increase the storage capacity by crying on this forum day in and day out about it.

Wel if you had any reading comprehension skills you would have noticed that I never mentioned that it was video ONLY that caused the increase in sales. But obviously it helped and has been Apple's biggest advertising feature on it ( it was on the first page of Apple's website for months) and reviews of it highlighted it as well as the main new feature. Hello-anybody home?
You were the same person who screeched "get a video camera instead, its too small to work on the iPhone". Now you're saying the same thing all over again for a flash. You'll see. It will happen and you will eat yet another bale of crow.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I would have imagined a person with your," cough, cough, sophistication" would have a "working" digital camera for, you know, taking pictures . .... also, is "pushing people under lights on Halloween" the same as "pushing Apple under the bus all the time"?

Well I meant placing people.... and I have changed it.
I use my camera to take pictures and videos all the time as some people use theirs to listen to music or watch their stock quotes (ahem, any guesses folks as to who that might be?) all day. Different strokes for different folks. I don't want to carry 2 devices and a simple flash is not that big a deal- trust me. Don't listen to solipsism - he makes it seem like it's a technical feat equivalent to landing a man on the moon.

And I do have a decent Nikon for serious work.
post #28 of 35
Quote:

Wel if you had any reading comprehension skills you would have noticed that I never mentioned that it was video ONLY that caused the increase in sales. But obviously it helped and has been Apple's biggest advertising feature on it ( it was on the first page of Apple's website for months) and reviews of it highlighted it as well as the main new feature. Hello-anybody home?
You were the same person who said "get a video camera instead"- its too small to work on the iPhone. Now you're saying the same thing all over again for a flash. You'll see -. It will happen and you will eat yet another bale of crow.

I expected Flash in the 3GS, if you paid attention, youd know that. What I didnt expect, but you keep expecting is the same or better camera tech that is high-end Nokia phones to show up in the iPhone simply because you think Apple can do anything (or at least should do what your want when you want). As I keep telling you, dont expect miracles -AND- if it doesnt have it then deal with, dont complain on every AI thread about it, even when the thread has nothing to do with it. Either buy it because it best suits your needs, dont buy it because something else fits your needs better, or make your own.

Quote:
...the first 2 iPhones [] weren't as big a success as the 3Gs has been for [having a video camera]- plain and simple.

If you included something about the increase in iPhone demand in general, the increase in smartphone demand in general, the other advances with the iPhone HW and/or OS, and if you hadnt included the plain and simple qualifier with impedes any additional complexity be added to your statement, I wouldnt have thought otherwise. Cant even comprehend his own writing. So sad.

PS: I expect some sort of night vision capable camera to come to the iPhone within 3 revision, hopefully sooner.
post #29 of 35
Quote:

I expected Flash in the 3GS, if you paid attention, you’d know that. What I didn’t expect, but you keep expecting is the same or better camera tech that is high-end Nokia phones to show up in the iPhone simply because you think Apple can do anything (or at least should do what your want when you want). As I keep telling you, don’t expect miracles -AND- if it doesn’t have it then deal with, don’t complain on every AI thread about it, even when the thread has nothing to do with it. Either buy it because it best suits your needs, don’t buy it because something else fits your needs better, or make your own.

PS: I expect some sort of night vision capable camera to come to the iPhone within 3 revision, hopefully sooner.

Oh so now it clarifies itself- a "night vision capable camera"!
A FLASH- OK? Read my lips. I've never mention Nokia at all- ever! You keep bringing up Nokia- I don't. Flash on cellphone is not some earth shattering invention!! A $50 Verizon Motorola camera has a flash!
And this thread has picture of a case which looks like it could have a FLASH! Yes it does- look at the picture. There is a slit next to the hole. OK? See it now?? On this thread. Didn't you read my original post and can you not comprehend it???? I feel sometimes I need a ladle not merely a spoon for you.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Have you considered that she just didn't want to talk to you, and was making the noises herself???

Hmmmm, come to think of it, that buzzing sound didn't sound like a bad connection... maybe she really likes me and the buzzing is attributed to some other electronic device.... Probably not though....
post #31 of 35
Quote:

Dont leave us hanging. Show us this miracle phone whose camera space is 4mm thinner than the area that the iPhones camera sits.

You got me, it's only 0.4mm thinner after a cup of coffee, mea culpa.

Still, it does have a flash, 16.7m colour OLED screen and can shoot slow motion video at 120 fps, albeit at a reduced resolution.

The dimensions are 108.8 x 53.5 x 11.9 mm

A sample photo from mine :

post #32 of 35
Quote:

You got me, it's only 0.4mm thinner after a cup of coffee, mea culpa.

Still, it does have a flash and can shoot slow motion vidieo at 120 fps.

image: http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...ngjetS8000.jpg

It's a Samsung S8000 Jet.

The dimensions are 108.8 x 53.5 x 11.9 mm

A sample photo from mine :

image: http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...ianm1/Bts3.jpg

That’s a nice looking pic and phone, but it still doesn’t change the point I made. The camera in Apple’s iPhone is clearly smaller. That means, among other things, smaller lens, no optical zoom, and CMOS sensor.

Then you have to consider the thickness at the camera position, as well as how much room it has behind it and around it. The specs you are comparing are for the thickest points of the measurements, but that doesn’t help with a tapered device.

Of course, Apple doesn’t have to make their products so thin to a point that they can’t use higher-performaing tech in some cases compared to other vendors—like the Intel iMac just now getting desktop-class CPUs—but that isn’t our call and they must think that it’s better for their business or they wouldn’t have done it.
post #33 of 35
Poor excuse there sol.

If the reason for Apple being unable to build competitive features into their flagship product is the design, then they need to change the design. Simple as.

The iPhone doesn't need to be as thin as it is, it's a choice Apple has made, and if more people are asking for a better camera than are appreciating the thinness then it was the wrong choice.

censored

censored

post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Poor excuse there sol.

If the reason for Apple being unable to build competitive features into their flagship product is the design, then they need to change the design. Simple as.

The iPhone doesn't need to be as thin as it is, it's a choice Apple has made, and if more people are asking for a better camera than are appreciating the thinness then it was the wrong choice.

What part can be a poor excuse when you repeated exactly what I stated….
Quote:
Of course, Apple doesn’t have to make their products so thin to a point that they can’t use higher-performaing tech in some cases compared to other vendors

As both you and I stated, it’s a choice Apple has made. They are the ones gobbling up all majority of the profits in both US PC and worldwide phone sales, according to reports, so we can’t really fault them for doing what works for their business model. Personally, I don’t care about a thin iPhone, so much so that I have a big ass case that is also a second battery.

That fact remains that Apple can’t fit larger camera internals in the space they have allotted. Maybe next year the camera tech will be better or they’ll find away to condense the logic board to a point that the camera can take up more room, but I wouldn’t count on Apple making the phone thicker or having the camera protrude out the back like in some phones. There is no evidence to support that kind of action from Apple, no matter how much you want it.
post #35 of 35
Wuh? What Orange exclusivity?

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hit-or-miss site claims 4G iPhone part; French exclusivity ends