or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hacker cracks Apple's latest iPhone 3GS security measures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hacker cracks Apple's latest iPhone 3GS security measures - Page 2

post #41 of 91
preventative |prēˈventətiv|
adjective & noun
another term for preventive .
DERIVATIVES
preventatively adverb
USAGE See usage at preventive

I've got a Mac, it has a dictionary, the source of this definition.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

"A hacker this week released a new exploit that allows users to circumvent Apple's preventative measures . . . ."

Not sure what is said here, because there's no such word as "preventative," just as there is no such verb as "preventate."

The word in play, I must assume, is "preventive." Oh, OK, now I know what the writer meant.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #42 of 91
edit: pipped by Hill60.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


Congratulations your hobby enables pirates.

Congratulations your hobby threatens developers livelihoods.

Congratulations your hobby threatens one of the most successful business models of recent years.



The internet enables piracy, too, yet I see you don't have a problem using that.

Congratulations, hypocrite.
post #44 of 91
Tethering is automatically enabled. All you need to do is go to Settings/General/Network and turn on Ethernet tethering. Then when you plug your iPhone into your computer and go to the Mac's Settings/Network, a new interface shows up, it's automagic. Or you can pair your computer over bluetooth and use PAN (personal area network) but it's not as fast.

My WiFi got hosed too, but the fix is easy: just go to Settings, Reset, Reset Network Settings and you're good to go (you'll have to re-enter all your network passwords)

This is absolutely brilliant and I love it that a kid is thumbing his nose at the establishment like this. He's a genius!
post #45 of 91
Once again, on any one of a hundred Internet discussion forums, the talk about jailbreaking devolves into holier-than-thou anti-jailbreakers accusing anyone who jailbreaks their iPhone of being a pirate, and refusing to see that there are legitimate non-pirate reasons to jailbreak.

I've jailbroken my iPhone since the first day it was available to do publicly. There were lots of things you could do (and still can) with your really crippled back then (and somewhat less crippled now) iPhone, and not a single one of them involved pirating apps...that didn't come along for quite a while.

To address the "jailbreaking should be stopped because you have to jailbreak in order to pirate arguments", the same logic sounds ridiculous when you apply to other real-world things:

-Rifles can kill people, therefore everyone who buys a rifle is only buying it so they can become a murderer and kill people, so rifles should be outlawed. This ignores the legitimate use of rifles for hunting game or target practice.

-Drunk drivers have to drink alcohol in order to drive drunk, therefore anyone who drinks alcohol must only be drinking alcohol so they can become a drunk driver, so alcohol should be illegal. This totally ignores the responsible use of alcohol for those who don't drive after drinking.

-Child molesters use the Internet to find illegal pictures of young children, therefore anyone who uses the Internet must be a child molester, so the Internet should be illegal. This totally ignores the legitimate use of the Internet for any of a billion non-child pornography related reasons.

Whether jailbreaking can be used for pirating or not, you cannot accuse all jailbreakers of being pirates, and you can't say that jailbreaking doesn't have legitimate uses for those of us who like some of the jailbreaking applications available that have nothing to do with piracy.

Think before you accuse, people.
post #46 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and if that "customising and utilising" means that a person can install pirated Apps which can't be done on a non-jailbroken iPhone then the ultimate responsibility comes down to the people who make it become possible.

Congratulations your hobby enables pirates.

Congratulations your hobby threatens developers livelihoods.

Congratulations your hobby threatens one of the most successful business models of recent years.

Thats a falsehood, if anything my "hobby" opens up the platform to developers who have been arbitrarily denied into the app store, I have the best of both worlds, my Jailbroken phone is "True democracy"

The internet enables pirates, hollywood movies enable pirates, games enable pirates, let us ban them all. Eventually the business model that google has already adopted (everything is basically free) will have to be adopted across the market, short of perhaps food stuffs and other tangible objects, however services (not all, things like cell service and internet will stay because pirating those from what I understand is very difficult) services on the internet for the most part will have to be "free".

The worst part of your last statemet "Hobby threatens one of the most successful business models..." is that your right, because instead of adapting to the market and seeing how its flowing and what the needs are of consumers Apple has decided to ignore it.

Apple in an back-assward sort of way is killing itself. BUT RECORD PROFITS, yep theyre making a lot of money, they could make a lot more though, when the next generation of websavy technophiles have to deal with Apple I think the market will be less forgiving if Apple is not flexible in its controls.
post #47 of 91
So please explain how pointing out that a non-jailbroken iPhone is incapable of installing pirated Apps, yet a jailbroken one is.

Thus jaibreaking an iPhone enables pirates, who wouldn't be able to do it otherwise.

So how does this tie into my use of the Internet over the last 16 years?

Did I invent the Internet?

Do I play with tools to modify it?

Do I supply it to other people?

No to all of the above, well apart from the modifying bit, which I'm doing right now.

hypocrite |ˈhipəˌkrit|
noun
a person who indulges in hypocrisy.
DERIVATIVES
hypocritical |ˌhipəˈkritikəl| adjective
hypocritically |ˌhipəˈkritik(ə)lē| adverb
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French ypocrite, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek hupokritēs actor, from hupokrinesthai (see hypocrisy ).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post



The internet enables piracy, too, yet I see you don't have a problem using that.

Congratulations, hypocrite.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #48 of 91
The indisputable, inescapable fact is that:-

Jailbreaking enables pirates!

Without jailbreaking there would be no piracy of App store Apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

Thats a falsehood, if anything my "hobby" opens up the platform to developers who have been arbitrarily denied into the app store,

Blah, blah, blah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIQ2tp2vMKo
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So please explain how pointing out that a non-jailbroken iPhone is incapable of installing pirated Apps, yet a jailbroken one is.

Thus jaibreaking an iPhone enables pirates, who wouldn't be able to do it otherwise.

So how does this tie into my use of the Internet over the last 16 years?

Did I invent the Internet?

Do I play with tools to modify it?

Do I supply it to other people?

No to all of the above, well apart from the modifying bit, which I'm doing right now.

hypocrite |ˈhipəˌkrit|
noun
a person who indulges in hypocrisy.
DERIVATIVES
hypocritical |ˌhipəˈkritikəl| adjective
hypocritically |ˌhipəˈkritik(ə)lē| adverb
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French ypocrite, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek hupokritēs ‘actor,’ from hupokrinesthai (see hypocrisy ).

Yep, you know what else a brick can do? If I can kill people with it, is that its purpose? If JBing was specifically for the purpose of downloading pirated apps you would have an argument unfortunately for your argument JBing is not made for that purpose, its made to wrestle control from a corporate entity who has no interest in our well being now that we have bought their device, as well as are only interested in providing a service that will directly benefit them.

You could argue "but its their right" and thats a tricky gray area that has yet to be decided, however in general as a consumer when you pay for a product that product (unless you signed a license with it) is yours to do with as you please.

Do you own a cd/dvd/blue-ray burner sir?

Are you therefore a pirate?
post #50 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The indisputable, inescapable fact is that:-

Jailbreaking enables pirates!

Without jailbreaking there would be no piracy of App store Apps.

Your right that is a fact, the other fact is that a small latin American country named Bolivia produces a ton of Coca leaf, that in its own form is harmless and a cultural aspect of the highland mountain indians. However, this enables some "evil dooers" to produce cocaine.

Which one is the evil? The person who uses the coca leaf for its cultural harmless activities or the narcos who turn into the soul sucking drug that it is.
post #51 of 91
A small flaw in your argument, where did I specifically say this:- " JBing was specifically for the purpose of downloading pirated apps...".

I didn't say that at all, now you've got all heated up on your throne of noble ideals and you've made one of the most basic mistakes of all.

Applying your own viewpoint of how things are to the views of others without taking the time to understand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

Yep, you know what else a brick can do? If I can kill people with it, is that its purpose? If JBing was specifically for the purpose of downloading pirated apps you would have an argument unfortunately for your argument JBing is not made for that purpose, its made to wrestle control from a corporate entity who has no interest in our well being now that we have bought their device, as well as are only interested in providing a service that will directly benefit them.

You could argue "but its their right" and thats a tricky gray area that has yet to be decided, however in general as a consumer when you pay for a product that product (unless you signed a license with it) is yours to do with as you please.

Do you own a cd/dvd/blue-ray burner sir?

Are you therefore a pirate?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A small flaw in your argument, where did I specifically say this:- " JBing was specifically for the purpose of downloading pirated apps...".

I didn't say that at all, now you've got all heated up on your throne of noble ideals and you've made one of the most basic mistakes of all.

Applying your own viewpoint of how things are to the views of others without taking the time to understand them.

Please answer the question,

Do you own a CD/DVD or Blue Ray burner? All devices that much like JBing enable pirating.

And dont confuse "throne of noble ideals" with "ability to debate intelligently" a basic mistake.
post #53 of 91
I own an unjailbroken and officially unlocked iPhone with 162 Apps I paid for, my network allows me to tether it at no additional charge, MMS started working on the day of the iPhone OS 3.0 update.

I have no desire to jailbreak my iPhone as I don't care to spend all day gazing in wonderment at a background picture behind my App icons.

Seeing someone with free TomTom on a Jailbroken iPhone which would cost me $A129 is pretty tempting and provides an incentive I wouldn't otherwise have except I have no need for GPS software.

I don't use CD's/DVD's, a PS3 doesn't Burn blueray.

I have a set top box with a hard drive which I use to record FTA TV shows for personal use which the "fair use" sections of our copyright laws allow.

I have USB keys and drives for backing up data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

Please answer the question,

Do you own a CD/DVD or Blue Ray burner? All devices that much like JBing enable pirating.

And dont confuse "throne of noble ideals" with "ability to debate intelligently" a basic mistake.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I own an unjailbroken and officially unlocked iPhone with 162 Apps I paid for, my network allows me to tether it at no additional charge, MMS started working on the day of the iPhone OS 3.0 update.

I have no desire to jailbreak my iPhone as I don't care to spend all day gazing in wonderment at a background picture behind my App icons.

Seeing someone with free TomTom on a Jailbroken iPhone which would cost me $A129 is pretty tempting and provides an incentive I wouldn't otherwise have except I have no need for GPS software.

I don't use CD's/DVD's, a PS3 doesn't Burn blueray.

I have a set top box with a hard drive which I use to record FTA TV shows for personal use which the "fair use" sections of our copyright laws allow.

I have USB keys and drives for backing up data.

So let me understand this, you only own what may possibly be a computer from 1992? Frak off mate, you have a burner and HOLY SH@* YOU DONT USE IT TO PIRATE STUFF, my exact point, I have a JBed iPhone, and I DO NOT pirate stuff, because I have the means does not mean I will do it. The question wasnt how do you store stuff it was a simple do you have it?

Hey I would call that guy a "dou@#$ag" and keep walking, ethics I guess isnt your strong point and temptation easily overcomes you.

Totally honest question, how do you know that the TomTom was free what difference is there on how its looks when its legit or not?

*EDIT*

Weve now agreed that it enables you to pirate, if thats your only argument then its weak, the simple act of having the internet enables one to pirate so its a rather weak argument.

Either find a new argument against JBing or drop this one.

Im going to go ahead an assume your next argument is

"But you cant find pirated GPS Stand Alone Units!" Yes yes you can in NYC its called Chinatown, if you live in any big city you know this. Also if we take it to the extreme I can...steal it from someone/somewhere else.

Then the enabler is simply the existence of the product. Either drop this or bring something new.

JBING enables pirates, TRUE
JBING does NOT have to be used to pirate, TRUE
JBING has its own legally obtainable benefits, TRUE
post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The indisputable, inescapable fact is that:-

Jailbreaking enables pirates!

Without jailbreaking there would be no piracy of App store Apps.

Yes!!! and having a car capable of going OVER the speed limit enables speeding which is

BREAKING THE LAW

Its the same analogy.........which is flawed!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #56 of 91
How do I know it was free because she told me it was, the voice guidance didn't work so I suggested she contact TomTom, she almost did too, until I stopped her, I should have let her go on and videoed her call on speakerphone then uploaded it to YouTube for a laugh.

Of course I've got CD/DVD burners I just don't have any blank media there's no need for it with USB keys and hard drives so cheap these days.

Once again I said Jailbroken iPhones allow the installation of pirated Apps, nowhere did I say installing pirated Apps was the sole purpose of Jailbreaking.

I even pointed out that in spite of the noble ideals of the jailbreaking community there are others who will take advantage.

P.S. What the fuck does frak mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

So let me understand this, you only what may possibly be a computer from 1992? Frak off mate, you have a burner and HOLY SH@* YOU DONT USE IT TO PIRATE STUFF, my exact point, I have a JBed iPhone, and I DO NOT pirate stuff, because I have the means does not mean I will do it. The question wasnt how do you store stuff it was a simple do you have it?

Hey I would call that guy a "dou@#$ag" and keep walking, ethics I guess isnt your strong point and temptation easily overcomes you.

Totally honest question, how do you know that the TomTom was free what difference is there on how its looks when its legit or not?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How do I know it was free because she told me it was, the voice guidance didn't work so I suggested she contact TomTom, she almost did too, until I stopped her, I should have let her go on and videoed her call on speakerphone then uploaded it to YouTube for a laugh.

Of course I've got CD/DVD burners I just don't have any blank media there's no need for it with USB keys and hard drives so cheap these days.

Once again I said Jailbroken iPhones allow the installation of pirated Apps, nowhere did I say installing pirated Apps was the sole purpose of Jailbreaking.

I even pointed out that in spite of the noble ideals of the jailbreaking community their are others who will take advantage.

P.S. What the fuck does frak mean?

There are always those who will take advantage of any situation, its the innate greed of human nature.

I personally fully support the App store, and object to any piracy of programs especially seeing how quite a few of those programmers are either freelancing or just making an extra buck on the side, (TomTom I admit I have less sympathy for being that its a giant million dollar corporation whos charging a substantial amount but I agree that its still unethical).

However, I will not say that JBing directly enables it, JBing breaks the locks of the constraints of the phone. Its not the means to the end.

And frak! Damn I figured anybody who was dorky enough to hang out on internet forums debating the ethic quandary of JBing would recognize that.

Its from battlestar galactica, and since I can assume you havnt seen it I highly recommend it, but if its not your thing, well not everybody digs it.
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yes!!! and having a car capable of going OVER the speed limit enables speeding which is

BREAKING THE LAW

Its the same analogy.........which is flawed!

You speeding doesn't void your support contract of getting the car fixed if you wreck it.

You JBing your phone deserves to see it turn into a piece of costume jewelry as Apple should void your support contract.
post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

Your right that is a fact, the other fact is that a small latin American country named Bolivia produces a ton of Coca leaf, that in its own form is harmless and a cultural aspect of the highland mountain indians. However, this enables some "evil dooers" to produce cocaine.

Which one is the evil? The person who uses the coca leaf for its cultural harmless activities or the narcos who turn into the soul sucking drug that it is.

I suspect that only real indisputable and inescapable fact is that you sir are a moron

You and I agree with Coca Leaf. To kill the ongoing War regarding Cocaine you simply end the ban on Coca Leaf and give yourself, myself and the world a tea that provides so many vitamins and minerals that we all benefit from it. There will always be a small market for Cocaine but the volume market will be for the healthy Coca Leaf farmers in both the US and Central/South America grow and cross seasonally support one another.

It's fiscally sound, improves health for all and it neuters a useless political talking point.
post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You may not be doing too great with the ladies right now (assumption)...

The Donger say -- coming from someone with more than 11k posts, the irony is rich.

No more yankee my wankee! The Donger needs food!
post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You and I agree with Coca Leaf. To kill the ongoing War regarding Cocaine you simply end the ban on Coca Leaf and give yourself, myself and the world a tea that provides so many vitamins and minerals that we all benefit from it. There will always be a small market for Cocaine but the volume market will be for the healthy Coca Leaf farmers in both the US and Central/South America grow and cross seasonally support one another.

It's fiscally sound, improves health for all and it neuters a useless political talking point.

Chewing is good too, its delicious and gives you some nice stamina and chewing has been found to have NO addictive qualities. Your right about the rest.

Ive actually never tried the tea, what sort of flavor does it have? Any recommendations on how to brew a fine pot? Ill be heading to south america soon.
post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You speeding doesn't void your support contract of getting the car fixed if you wreck it.

You JBing your phone deserves to see it turn into a piece of costume jewelry as Apple should void your support contract.

You are correct about the warranty and voiding it....but that is not what his analogy was about.
We are all responsible for our actions. We have the choice of right or wrong.
There are ALWAYS going to be people to break the law....ALWAYS....it is just human nature.

And if you drive and speed the chances of an auto accident rises dramatically.
The chances of you hurting someone are greater than if you don't speed. so if we take his analogy then why should we have cars capable of going over the speed limit? Because it is proven that bad things will happen if you speed. But not everyone speeds yet their cars are capable of going over the speed limit.
His analogy is flawed.......

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You are correct about the warranty and voiding it....but that is not what his analogy was about.
We are all responsible for our actions. We have the choice of right or wrong.
There are ALWAYS going to be people to break the law....ALWAYS....it is just human nature.

And if you drive and speed the chances of an auto accident rises dramatically.
The chances of you hurting someone are greater than if you don't speed. so if we take his analogy then why should we have cars capable of going over the speed limit? Because it is proven that bad things will happen if you speed. But not everyone speeds yet their cars are capable of going over the speed limit.
His analogy is flawed.......

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing, however simply because that rule is there does not mean it is "ethical", personally I believe that apple should learn to incorporate some of what JBing has produced such on using the lockscreen for your calendar or messages or email etc then im happy to jump back to a non JBed iPhone until then however im keeping this one. But if apple refuses to listen to its consumers then I for one will jump ship or simply continue to JB my phone.

Honest question for everyone who perhaps is more programming savvy then I,

Is there a reason Apple cannot open its phones OS up set some standards for modifying its appearence such as springboard and themes etc and incorporate some of the JBed stuff into the next release?

The only reason I can think of is they dont want to reveal their OS to the world which makes sense, I just see no valuable Market reason for keeping such a closed system when clearly JBing is enough of a problem that they keep attacking it every release, they could be making money off it!
post #64 of 91
Until recently one of our states (Northern Territory) in Australia had roads without speed limits, I wanted to go there and drive at 150mph I could, legally.

Therefore there was no limit as to how fast a car could go in Australia

Doesn't the US have a State like that?

Nevada or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

...so if we take his analogy then why should we have cars capable of going over the speed limit? Because it is proven that bad things will happen if you speed. But not everyone speeds yet their cars are capable of going over the speed limit.
His analogy is flawed.......
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Until recently one of our states (Northern Territory) in Australia had roads without speed limits, I wanted to go there and drive at 150mph I could, legally.

Therefore there was no limit as to how fast a car could go in Australia

Doesn't the US have a State like that?

Nevada or something?

No states here like that! :-)
But there is the Autobahn in Germany that has no speed limits...... sounds like fun!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #66 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and if that "customising and utilising" means that a person can install pirated Apps which can't be done on a non-jailbroken iPhone then the ultimate responsibility comes down to the people who make it become possible.

Congratulations your hobby enables pirates.

Congratulations your hobby threatens developers livelihoods.

Congratulations your hobby threatens one of the most successful business models of recent years.


i've copied software since the 1980's on the commodore 64 when my parents bought me a computer but couldn't afford to buy me anything else. the only way to stop piracy is to make a system where it's too hard. like in app purchasing.

the entire iTunes DRM scheme is easy to crack and has been for years because the client does too much of the work

and its very funny how a teenager cracked a protection scheme made up by people with CS degrees from Stanford
post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing, however simply because that rule is there does not mean it is "ethical", personally I believe that apple should learn to incorporate some of what JBing has produced such on using the lockscreen for your calendar or messages or email etc then im happy to jump back to a non JBed iPhone until then however im keeping this one. But if apple refuses to listen to its consumers then I for one will jump ship or simply continue to JB my phone.

Honest question for everyone who perhaps is more programming savvy then I,

Is there a reason Apple cannot open its phones OS up set some standards for modifying its appearence such as springboard and themes etc and incorporate some of the JBed stuff into the next release?

The only reason I can think of is they dont want to reveal their OS to the world which makes sense, I just see no valuable Market reason for keeping such a closed system when clearly JBing is enough of a problem that they keep attacking it every release, they could be making money off it!

same reason why the Mac got spanked in the 1990's. Steve Jobs is OCD about having a walled garden and controlling everything. Apple already took a lot of what JB people did and put it on the supported OS and new home screens are supposedly coming.

my 3GS contract ends in 2011 and i'm going to jump ship as well because it seems Android is making more progress than Apple. it's not like a $3000 computer back in the 90's with money invested in software that you would have to repurchase. it's a lot easier to buy a new cell phone.
post #68 of 91
Jailbreaking is cool. And my font is bigger than yours!!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

new home screens are supposedly coming.

What is the rumor on this? Ive seen some very non-user0friendly mock-ups, but nothing that looked good. I would like to have folders now that they can be organized via iTunes with ease.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post



The internet enables piracy, too,

and hence the hollywood movie studios are taking a small ISP in Australia to court as a test case.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #71 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing, however simply because that rule is there does not mean it is "ethical", personally I believe that apple should learn to incorporate some of what JBing has produced such on using the lockscreen for your calendar or messages or email etc then im happy to jump back to a non JBed iPhone until then however im keeping this one. But if apple refuses to listen to its consumers then I for one will jump ship or simply continue to JB my phone.

Honest question for everyone who perhaps is more programming savvy then I,

Is there a reason Apple cannot open its phones OS up set some standards for modifying its appearence such as springboard and themes etc and incorporate some of the JBed stuff into the next release?

The only reason I can think of is they dont want to reveal their OS to the world which makes sense, I just see no valuable Market reason for keeping such a closed system when clearly JBing is enough of a problem that they keep attacking it every release, they could be making money off it!

as a non-jailbreaker, i completely agree with you. i can see why apple wants to (and has the right to) restrict how their product is used/modified, but i think that the jb community opens up the possibilities with the device.

I personally feel that if all the options that jb'ing allows in terms of customisation and multi-tasking etc were available out of the box, it would open up a "world of hurt" in terms of performance and battery life for the majority of users who are less savvy in managing these things. I hope in the near future Apple brings some of these features on-board... til then i'll wait patiently, enjoying my un-jailbroken phone.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #72 of 91
Heheheh, just release the fucking iPhone unlocked, you can't expect to have such a cool device just for a niche. APPLE WILL NEVER WIN THIS CRAPPY WAR, IT IS IM-PO-SSI-BLE. Steve Jobs should know this, he was a hacker and now he's been hacked. Not a good sentiment Steve to know you are being robbed right? Well, these kids are thirsty for more. Are you ready to expend a couple of millions more trying to secure your device just for nothing? Everybody wants an iPhone, just give it to everybody. What's the fucking problem anyway? People are willing to pay for them.

I'll never understand that effort for selling it locked, it's plain stupid!
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #73 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Heheheh, just release the fucking iPhone unlocked, you can't expect to have such a cool device just for a niche. APPLE WILL NEVER WIN THIS CRAPPY WAR, IT IS IM-PO-SSI-BLE. Steve Jobs should know this, he was a hacker and now he's been hacked. Not a good sentiment Steve to know you are being robbed right? Well, these kids are thirsty for more. Are you ready to expend a couple of millions more trying to secure your device just for nothing? Everybody wants an iPhone, just give it to everybody. What's the fucking problem anyway? People are willing to pay for them.

I'll never understand that effort for selling it locked, it's plain stupid!

The fact that it is a niche product is partly what makes it cool .... how cool would it be if everybody had one? .... Besides, the last time I looked, anyone wanting one could go through the "proper channels" and get one, what's the problem? ... Oh, I get it, you want the steak but not with a baked potato, and not house salad but Greek salad ... sorry, no substitutions ... not happy? feel free to go somewhere else, lottsa choices, lottsa restaurants, just stop your whining and bitchin'
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #74 of 91
I reported on the whole topic as open propaganda of piracy and thievery. I saved both pages of that to come onto this point and review it with "Apple enthusiasts" at good moment.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

I will totally agree that it should void your warranty thems the breaks of what your doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You speeding doesn't void your support contract of getting the car fixed if you wreck it.

You JBing your phone deserves to see it turn into a piece of costume jewelry as Apple should void your support contract.

Why the mean spiritedness and hoping that peoples' phones should become junk just because they put some software on it? Let them enjoy it, it really doesn't harm you at all, and I'd argue that if it weren't for jailbreakers adding features and apps that Apple didn't, we'd still be back on firmware 1.x with web-apps only. That was Apple's original stance on what apps should be.

re: warranties: under California law, which Apple operates, and probably most other states in the US, it is illegal to 100% void a warranty because of user modifications to a product. You can only void that portion of the warranty that the user modification directly impacted.

The typical example used to explain this concept is a car.

Say a user installs custom speakers or sound systems in their car. They've made an "unauthorized" modification to the car, so their entire warranty should be voided under your logichowever, the only part of the warranty that can be voided is the sound system. If the transmission goes bad, the transmission is still covered under warranty. Kind of ridiculous any other way isn't it? The sound system in no way impacts the transmission.

Take that law and apply it to our iPhone scenario:

If you modify the software in an "unauthorized" manner, and then the touchscreen or a external speaker goes bad, why would you think your warranty to repair that hardware defect should be voided? The software in no way caused the speaker to go bad. Does that make sense, or are you anti-jailbreakers so blinded by your hatred of jailbreakers that you just want them to suffer for any and all reasons?

In the real world, my personal experience is exactly that of my iPhone example. My first iPhone (2g - purchased the first day of sale) was jailbroken. A year into owning the iPhone, the external speaker went bad. I had no problem replacing the phone under AppleCare warranty service despite the previous jailbreaking.

Apple would have every right to turn away a jailbreaker with software issues, but I suspect in reality, the typical Genius at the Apple Store isn't going to. Most of the Apple employees I've actually spoken about jailbreaking with have actually jailbroken their own iPhones (though, granted, I've not discussed it with them in a while). Why wouldn't they, they're geeks if they work the genius bar, and what geek doesn't like to modify their computers (the iPhone is a computer, not a phone...).

Bottom line, if they can help you at the Genius bar, jailbroken or not, they're gonna try, even if the advice is to "restore to Apple firmware". If they do turn you away, go back home, restore Apple firmware via iTunes, and return. There's no reason to turn you away at that point.
post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Apple already took a lot of what JB people did and put it on the supported OS and new home screens are supposedly coming.

And do you think Apple would have done that if it weren't for jailbreakers? I doubt it. Remember, their original stance was that all apps should be web-apps (widgets). Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

my 3GS contract ends in 2011 and i'm going to jump ship as well because it seems Android is making more progress than Apple. it's not like a $3000 computer back in the 90's with money invested in software that you would have to repurchase. it's a lot easier to buy a new cell phone.

If jailbreaking finally gets locked out permanently, I'll probably switch away from the iPhone as well, unless Apple allows all the features I jailbreak for. I'll disagree to some extent with your comment about software, though.

Those of us who don't pirate software probably have a substantial investment in iPhone software (apps) already. I've spent hundreds of dollars on apps for my iPhone, an exponential amount more than I ever did for my Palm Treo. That's the real lock-in to the iPhone Apple is creating. I'd have to think hard to throw all that software away if Android or WinMo can't offer replacements in functionality for free or a very low price.
post #77 of 91
The reaction on this issue is absolutely unacceptable.
The message is sent to Kasper.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_entropy View Post

Can it enable iPhone tethering? If I had that, I'd be ridiculously happy, I could ditch my USB EVDO card!

Inhabe not looked into this but have been with AT&T fir 10+ years. I jail broke it when they pulled the GV Mobile. I have not unlocked it. Apparently this does both.

Since jail breaking I get:
Free teethering.
Ability to run any program in the background.
Free Tom Tom.
Memory release programs.
GV Mobile which gives me a new free number which I added to AT&T A-List so now all call routed through that number are free. Great for long business call or call to parents during the week.
A program that allows you to quickly swipe up, down, sideways to get anywhere fast. Very useful on long forums and reading postings.
A program called inteliscreen that shows you weather, rss feeds, missed calls, missed text on the home screen without opening, swiping open the phone. Each also has a function to launch the inividual program from outside the phone ie not having to go to text program but just hit a button and you can reply.
Another Free program that when you are doing something, on s call, radio , websurfing if some sends a text you can reply without shutting down whatever you are doing.
Lots of very cool free games.
Did I mention free teethering?
Video for 3G phones, non 3GS.
Lots of cool camera apps that feature light correction, zooming, shaking.
A program that if you place your fingers on the battery and signal strength, a screen pops up for fast notes, processes you can kill off, free ram, turn on or off 3G, respring qhich is a way of rebooting in 1/10th the time and more.
Sorry, am in the phone now but there is a whole lot more and this is what I can think off right now. The GV Mobile is great as if you use gv mobile voice mail, you can listen in or when a person calls it asks for there name, your phone rings then you can either anwser or send to voicemail plus you can get a transcript emailed it a text transcibed or both not to mention set up groups so if you were traveling, you could have you parents phone ruby, your cell ring, etc or if it's you parents calling you Gould have every phone you are near, ring including hotel, evryones cell in your group, all land lines or work phones. It's an amazing feature and I think it was pulled due to putting in that number as an AT&T a list phone and have very long, free calls.


Still haven't figured out free text and have swirly text plus mms text way before it was offered by Apple and oh yeah, you can download torrents from free tv shows and out them on here or you could use a flash plugin and then watch flash website tv shows or you could buy each of them (a-hem), from iTunes at $1.99-$2.99 for something already free for most shows. This is why we may never see flash in the iPhone or DVR on the Apple TV. The subscription sounds good but the wife and I hardly ever turn on the tv anymore.
post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

And do you think Apple would have done that if it weren't for jailbreakers? I doubt it. Remember, their original stance was that all apps should be web-apps (widgets). Ugh.



If jailbreaking finally gets locked out permanently, I'll probably switch away from the iPhone as well, unless Apple allows all the features I jailbreak for. I'll disagree to some extent with your comment about software, though.

Those of us who don't pirate software probably have a substantial investment in iPhone software (apps) already. I've spent hundreds of dollars on apps for my iPhone, an exponential amount more than I ever did for my Palm Treo. That's the real lock-in to the iPhone Apple is creating. I'd have to think hard to throw all that software away if Android or WinMo can't offer replacements in functionality for free or a very low price.

between my wife and I we've spent maybe $50. we're not JB'd and there are a ton of free apps out there. there are even apps and websites to track when apps go free or drop in price. a lot of time the devs will make an app free for a day or a few days to get it on the charts and then raise the price again.

i get a daily email with 20-40 apps a day that are free because the devs made them free
post #80 of 91
LOL!!!

I'm like wiping tears from my eyes. I've been laughing so hard at this thread. It is downright HILARIOUS how delusional some people around here can be at times.

In order to rob a bank YOU MUST WALK THROUGH THE DOOR! Lock all doors and you'll never have a bank robbery

Anyone who thinks all jailbreakers are pirating software are as about as ignorant as bubba thinking all black people have tails. You have no idea what you're talking about and yet you've determined without any doubt that you're the only correct one here (and I'm not directly addressing anyone because they know who they are.)

Piracy = bad

Being able to do what you want with your property = good

Punishing all for the negative actions of a few = retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jailbreaking is cool. And my font is bigger than yours!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hacker cracks Apple's latest iPhone 3GS security measures