or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple co-founder Steve Jobs named Fortune 'CEO of the Decade'

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs named Fortune 'CEO of the Decade' - Page 3

post #81 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Interesting stuff, thanks for contributing it.

Steve's zen buddhism background is very evident here. That being in the here and now with acceptance of whatever is, because it is. What a stark contrast with that baboon Balmer.

Btw, does anyone think that it's a good option for apple to buy amd now? They can be bought for peanuts and they have still a lot of great talent working for them as well as some great products in need of development. Plus you get ati and you have a complete arsenal for desktop computers. My only qualm is that what with everything becoming more and more mobile and the traditional desktop computer becoming less and less relevant a company like pa semi is where it's at.

Still even solely for ati it will be a good option.

What does everyone think on that?
post #82 of 184
You can love, hate, idolize, despise (insert favorite verb here) Steve Jobs. But there's one thing you absolutely, positively cannot do and that is ignore him. Even Steve Ballmer cannot ignore Steve Jobs, as much as he'd love to do so. The "rounding error" comments are proof of that. Jobs is in the heads of a lot of big business types like it or not.
post #83 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So then go tell Forbes they're wrong.

You really don’t get it, do you? Forbes isn’t wrong.

I thought your timeout might have done you some good, but I guess you just can’t fix…
Back to the ignore list with you.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #84 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

As for the dividend, it's always relative to performance obviously, but a 1% dividend could have cost Apple up to $10bn since 2000 (if you take into account the leverage they've had with such large coffers, and interest gained) which is fairly significant - and it's only part of the equation.

Your logic and math are faulty. First nobody suggested that Apple should have been offering a dividend ten years ago. Second, a 1% dividend back then would have been at most about $0.30 a share. Today it would be around $2.00. Third, unless Apple is supposed to be operating as a bank, earning interest from cash should not be goal.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #85 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Right, but have you noticed the correlation between those here in the US that refuse to accept this and also refuse to accept global warming as scientific fact ...

Touche!

You think that is bad? If you really want some sobering data, take a look at this: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=982
\

Adding an important clarification: I am referring specifically only to Table 1, with the data on Darwin, Ghosts, UFOs, witches, creationism and astrology. This is not a comment about/on religious beliefs!
post #86 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

But I think too many people place too much on this one man. Remember, he runs a company and surrounds himself with plenty of competent employees.

Faint praise, indeed.

If it was as easy as surrounding yourself with smart people there would be lots of other Apple success stories. No, Apples "secret sauce" is Steve and he deserves every accolade and then some.
post #87 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Faint praise, indeed.

If it was as easy as surrounding yourself with smart people there would be lots of other Apple success stories. No, Apples "secret sauce" is Steve and he deserves every accolade and then some.

I’m inclined to agree. If Jobs didn’t come back to Apple with NeXT in tow, then there would we have a lot to speculate about him a CEO and technical visionary, but his success with Apple’s comeback using NeXT’s IP makes it quite obvious that he knows WTF he’s doing.

There are some parallels to Jobs leaving Apple to learn to be a proper executive with the book Siddhartha, except replace the search for enlightenment with market cap, and so forth.
post #88 of 184
Well deserved-Bravo!
post #89 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Right, Ballmer still has time to turn it around

Now THAT is some funny shiznitz.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #90 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

This is the number one reason why Apple is able to continue to operate as normal in these economic times where credit is hard to come by. Unlike many other companies, Apple's day-to-day operations aren't dependent on loans and credit (the American car companies being a prime example).

And I think more than a few individuals can learn from that, too. Both companies and individuals would be better off if we all relied a bit less on credit (buying houses and cars we can't afford) and focused less on quantity (food, cars, toys, square footage, etc) and more an quality.

Here Here!

Living debt free, or with as little debt as possible is something that should be the goal of everyone. I think these days people and companies are realizing it. Apple was smart to begin with and save up.

And to be honest (as my husband and I live debt free) its not that hard to do if you don't live outside your means. True, I can't afford a car and so take the bus and bike (keeps my slim figure and heart in shape I suppose) to work. I can't afford a new MacBook Pro (not that I'd want one) or other high priced computer. I budget for food for the week, cook often, and keep everything in check. Make goals, and keep to them. Don't purchase the new iPhone 4g if you really can't afford it... the 3gs works plenty fine. Save money each pay check, make it mandatory. Stuff like that. Its really not that hard.

Eh, I can go on, but I'm sure everyone is sick of economy stuff by now.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #91 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The nineties are from 19901999, but the 9th decade of the century is 1981-1990, the same way we call this the 21st century while its only 20xx. Maybe we do some additional terms to clarify it, but I think people probably understand it, sans the resident troll boy.

Did you suffer from lack of attention earlier in life? Do you think we need your asinine explanation to figure out what a "decade" means? You go on and on and on like some sort of diahrea of the Internet .
post #92 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslipscomb View Post

Steve has done a wonderful job, but do you honestly think a CEO will have a following of billions two years after his 'death'? Atheist or not, you can't deny that Jesus' impact on history and society was and will be much bigger than Jobs'.

Certainly, in the possible but extraordinarily unlikely event that Jesus ever was a real person, he certainly did not have a following of billions of people two years after his death. The range of estimates for the world population at the time was 170 to 400 million.

It would be very depressing if Santa Claus, Jesus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy were to have a greater effect on the world than Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs has made the world a better place. Steve has not inspired tens of millions of people to kill each other in the name of a fictional ethereal despot.

Even the massive negative impact that Bill Gates has had on the world doesn't rank with inspiring tens of millions of murders and the rape of tens of millions of young boys.

Praise be to Steve!!! Hopefully he will be remembered by history long after all the fairy tales have been forgotten.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #93 of 184
Quote:

Did you suffer from lack of attention earlier in life? Do you think we need your asinine explanation to figure out what a "decade" means? You go on and on and on like some sort of diahrea of the Internet .

Could you please consider a self-ban, before it happens to you again?
post #94 of 184
Quote:

You really don’t get it, do you? Forbes isn’t wrong.

Forbes? It's Fortune first of all.

solipsism- you may be King of Reading Comprehension but totally lack mathematical skills.

Let me assist you;

Year ending in
0=1
1=2
2=3
3=4
4=5
5=6
6=7
7=8
8=9
9=10

10 = a decade. (deci from the latin or deca from the greek for 10).
This is why this decade ends 12/31/09 and Fortune is calling Steve Jobs the CEO of the Decade.
Get it? JEESH.

END OF STORY ( I can put the spoon away now)
post #95 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Touche!

You think that is bad? If you really want some sobering data, take a look at this: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=982
\

Adding an important clarification: I am referring specifically only to Table 1, with the data on Darwin, Ghosts, UFOs, witches, creationism and astrology. This is not a comment about/on religious beliefs!

OMG! LOL... and on your addendum... what's the difference?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #96 of 184
Quote:

Could you please consider a self-ban, before it happens to you again?

NO.

Could you consider putting me on your ignore list as your mentor solipsism suggests?

And nothing I've written is as totally wrong as this and has been reported( I've been told privately) by others:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism
Dammit boy! Were you raised by orangoutangs with Down Syndrome?
post #97 of 184
Quote:

Year ending in
0=1
1=2
2=3
3=4
4=5
5=6
6=7
7=8
8=9
9=10

10 = a decade. (deci from the latin or deca from the greek for 10).

(OK. One last try. Promise)

According to your logic above, what was the year that preceded AD 1? ("AD" for Anno Domini from Medieval Latin).
post #98 of 184
Quote:

According to your logic above, what was the year that preceded AD 1? ("AD" for Anno Domini from Medieval Latin).

How many people have people explained to him that there was no year zero and yet he keeps on insisting that the there was. You cant make this stuff up. He needs to be on Jay Walking. Absolute gold!
post #99 of 184
Quote:

OMG! LOL... and on your addendum... what's the difference?

Religious beliefs are to be respected for what they are. It is when they conflict with our understanding of science that it becomes an issue (at least, for me). In a vast majority of instances, there is no necessary conflict between science and religion (at least, as interpreted by the informed and educated practitioners of that religion).
post #100 of 184
Quote:

We're talking the year 2000 to 2009?
Why are you comparing Apples to Oranges?

Of course a decade could be 1-10 or 2-11 and so on but that's not how the term is used. Ask Fortune.
post #101 of 184
Quote:

This is so stupid. Why do I partake?

It's never stopped you before. ....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #102 of 184
Quote:

And nothing I've written is as totally wrong as this and has been reported( I've been told privately) by others:

Originally Posted by solipsism
Dammit boy! Were you raised by orangoutangs with Down Syndrome?

OK. I guess that one is really bad. (Although, I am surprised....). Anyway, I don't want to get into the middle of this. I'll leave the judgments to the powers-that-be.

{backs off gracefully.....}
post #103 of 184
I'm not into hero worship, and I've never met Steve Jobs. But, the recognition for his accomplishments is well deserved. I also think he has grown since co-founding Apple. Nowadays, he is much more skillful in acquiring the right people. Tim Cook and the rest of the management team was able to carry-on in his absence, and Steve did thank them. Congratulations, and my thanks for the great products.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #104 of 184
Quote:

Well its a good thing you never go on and on and on and on and on about anything!
post #105 of 184
Quote:

There was no full year!! it was only measured in months.
post #106 of 184
Quote:

How many people have people explained to him that there was no year zero and yet he keeps on insisting that the there was. You cant make this stuff up. He needs to be on Jay Walking. Absolute gold!

Write to Fortune yet?
post #107 of 184
It's the charisma thing. One of the best books on Steve Jobs is The Journey is the Reward. Great read. Lots of insight into the amazing and talented SJ.

I give much credit for Apple's success to his vision and taste. Hire lots of talented designers and let them create with freedom and passion.

Laptops do not need to be like Rolexes, carved from solid blocks of aluminum (or whatever metal). But Apple does this out of pride. Truly amazing. They could be cutting costs but keep on driving forward with world class design.

Like many of us, I greatly admire and appreciate design and quality and am willing to pay for it. Apparently a whole bunch of former PC users feel the same. Apple is not growing profits by cutting costs, but instead is growing the top line by continuously innovating and pushing the market forward.
post #108 of 184
Quote:

Religious beliefs are to be respected for what they are. It is when they conflict with our understanding of science that it becomes an issue (at least, for me). In a vast majority of instances, there is no necessary conflict between science and religion (at least, as interpreted by the informed and educated practitioners of that religion).

I like to consider myself educated and informed and no argument on the correct etiquette. It is fascinating however that in any period of history the current 'religiously' inclined accept that the earlier religions were mythology and don't feel the need to confer any respect on them as religions, e.g. Greek Gods on top of Mount Olympus etc.. It is also the case, as you illustrate, that in any period of history the current beliefs are not myths and need to be treated with respect by educated non believers. It seems logical that one day new myths will replace current ones to become 'respected' and everything we have now will be joining Athena etc. as myths. As Kurt Vonnegut said so aptly, "So it goes …"

Sorry this is slightly off topic ... but then again SJ can probably walk on water, well in my book he can
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #109 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Thank you for the link.

The article made me feel like I was there, as well as it brought back some great memories of our own interactions.

Bob have you been involved with apple or was it a separate project where you interacted with Steve?
post #110 of 184
Quote:

Did you suffer from lack of attention earlier in life?

No need to project your issues onto others.

Quote:

There was no full year!! it was only measured in months.

If there were any rows in teckstud_knowledge, we would have to start deleting them... well, maybe just a quick truncate.
post #111 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I've never liked Jobs, even when I was an Apple fan. But I do respect the fact that he has definitely changed the computer arena. But I think too many people place too much on this one man. Remember, he runs a company and surrounds himself with plenty of competent employees..

I disagree with you because Apple had some great employees before Jobs returned, but the company was a mess, it had competing and confusing product lines and it couldn't get a next-generation OS built. Critics thought Apple would go under. So it's not enough to have great employees, you also have to have great leadership and in spite of all his quirks and the associated ego, Jobs provides great leadership.

Quote:
Now, if Apple could show companies how to bring jobs back to the US... then I'll be happier with Jobs himself. Till then, forget it, mainly because I know they can afford to do so.

If he did this, I would certainly consider him to be the greatest exec of all time. And if Apple did do this, perhaps it would set a "fashion" that would encourage other companies to do the same. But unfortunately, it's never going to happen. Apple is already considered to have over-priced products and in spite of their large margins and large cash hoard, if they returned manufacturing to the U.S., the margins would drop and the stock price would fall drastically.

I think Jobs would maintain that Apple does create a lot of U.S.-based jobs, just not manufacturing jobs.

Unfortunately, Americans have been trained to expect ridiculously low prices on most products. The fact that someone can produce a DVD player, for example, and sell it here for $49 with the designers, manufacturer, distributor and retailer all making some profit is absolutely astonishing. Blu-ray players have gone from $2000 to $200 in just a few years, but you still hear people complaining that they need to be priced under $100. Apple generally has high-priced products, but I don't believe they would be willing to either raise prices or substantially drop margins in order to manufacture in the U.S. (and even though in the early days of Apple, the computers were manufactured in California.)

You can't build something in the U.S. and price it at retail that low, so we're not going to see manufacturing return here. I had some hopes when the U.S. dollar crashed against the Euro and Pound that European companies might start manufacturing in the U.S., but it didn't happen.

Eventually, China and India will build enough of a middle class that manufacturing will become too expensive even there. But it still won't move back to the U.S. - it will move to other third world countries. Part of this is because large companies, especially public companies care only about profits. They don't care about their workers or their communities. This is because U.S. CEOs have a fiduciary responsiblity only to their shareholders. Personally, I've always thought that even in a capitalist system, this is wrong (immoral and unethical): they should have a balanced fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, employees and customers.
post #112 of 184
Quote:

OK. I guess that one is really bad. (Although, I am surprised....). Anyway, I don't want to get into the middle of this. I'll leave the judgments to the powers-that-be.

Orangoutangs are apparently, along with chimps and humans, susceptible to Dow'n Syndrome. I never knew that before. So a valid question from our erudite friend solipsism and not an insult to orangoutangs at all IMHO.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #113 of 184
Quote:

Orangoutangs are apparently, along with chimps and humans, susceptible to Dow'n Syndrome. I never knew that before. So a valid question from our erudite friend solipsism and not an insult to orangoutangs at all IMHO.

I actually didn’t know that. I would have guessed based on the chromosomal similiarities, with the fusing of the 2nd and 3rd in homo sapiens being the only real differentiator, as I remember it. I wrote because it flowed well together and I thought it sounded funny.

But I digress, I should not have included any comment about Down Syndrome. People with the disorder can have normal intelligence. I also apologize to orangoutangs who may be on this site, though usually they tend to post on Gizmodo.
post #114 of 184
Quote:

I actually didnt know that. I would have guessed based on the chromosomal similiarities, with the fusing of the 2nd and 3rd in homo sapiens being the only real differentiator, as I remember it. I wrote because it flowed well together.

But I digress, I should not have included any comment about Down Syndrome. People with the disorder can have normal intelligence. I also apologize to orangoutangs who may be on this site, though usually they tend to post on Gizmodo.

MIcky here at my side just pushed his banana in my ear and jumped up and down and I think that means he is very insulted. He is a Mac Fanboy and never visits Gizmodo.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #115 of 184
Quote:

I also apologize to orangoutangs who may be on this site, though usually they tend to post on Gizmodo.

Ah-ah-ah-oo-oo-oo-ee-ee-ee!

That's orangoutang for "this thread has gone way off topic."
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #116 of 184
Hey the only thing missing from this love fest is how he should be commended for using his influence and money to unfairly secure a liver ahead of less well-off people, just like that Yakuza boss on 60 minutes. What a hero.
post #117 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasa View Post

Hey the only thing missing from this love fest is how he should be commended for using his influence and money to unfairly secure a liver ahead of less well-off people, just like that Yakuza boss on 60 minutes. What a hero.

The surgeon who performed the operation said otherwise. Specifically, he said that Jobs was the sickest person on the list of transplant recipients.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #118 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If there were any rows in teckstud_knowledge, we would have to start deleting them... well, maybe just a quick truncate.

You still can't come up with an answer in that vast database of your mind- eh?

Isn't there an app named after you call annoyance? It farts and cries like a baby?
oh I'm sorry, your name is anoymouse
post #119 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The surgeon who performed the operation said otherwise. Specifically, he said that Jobs was the sickest person on the list of transplant recipients.

Money will buy you everything and anything- just ask Michael Bloomberg.
Believe that and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
post #120 of 184
Quote:

I actually didn’t know that. I would have guessed based on the chromosomal similiarities, with the fusing of the 2nd and 3rd in homo sapiens being the only real differentiator, as I remember it. I wrote because it flowed well together and I thought it sounded funny.

Fail and FAIL again. Did you write to Fortune yet?
Update me when you've been published in the letters to the editor.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple co-founder Steve Jobs named Fortune 'CEO of the Decade'