or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware - Page 3

post #81 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks like different strokes for different folks. And the better the competition, the better for us all. I personally can't wait until the next iPhone with a flash, I would gather.

I thought you were holding out for Blu-ray.
post #82 of 215
... ...

Quote:

not really- here's the real problem:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/te...h/05pogue.html

since verizon seems to want a droid-iphone faceoff, here it is: The droid wins on phone network,

granted. Although people have been more than willing to hook up with at&t, apparently the worst carrier, just to get an iphone, and there's no sign of letup. That's quite an accomplishmnt.

customizability,

for those who care about it. A win for the techies, certainly . . . Who don't represent the majority of the market. It seems the iphone's landmark explosive growth must be based on something else . . .

gps navigation,

it's a cool feature. But not a killer feature. If webos, with all its refinements at the very core of the experience - the os, couldn't hack it, then i doubt a free gps app will.

speaker,

not really a selling point. If it's part of an overall better package (which it isn't), then it counts for more.

physical keyboard,

not a win, really. It's strictly a matter of preference, and the iphone has shown that a touch keyboard (without sliding and moving parts) works brilliantly.

removable battery

no longer a factor. It also takes away from the seamless design of the device, one of the iphone's most succesful selling points. If it's unsexy, it's undesirable.

and openness (free operating system, mostly uncensored app store).

apple has proven that a closed system works exceptionally well. Problems with "censorship" (or rather "management" and a closed system? Yet we have record iphone sales and growth that is unmatched in the industry.

Openness isn't the factor we in the apple fansite bubble think it is.

funny- no mention of flash.

because the iphone's success has proven that it's much less of a concern for the aveage user than those of us in the apple fansite bubble would like to think. The flash issue lives and dies in our corner of the internet. No flash, yet record iphone sales and explosive growth.

post #83 of 215
Quote:

Well then the Droid battery must be pretty pathetic then as I've never had my iPhone last more than half a day. And I have to constantly charge it while at work. Not complaining - just stating facts.

Which iPhone do you have, the original? My 3GS lasts 2 days easily with moderate use and 3G active. The Droid might have the same capacity battery as the iPhone, but I expect broader support for multitasking (combined with careless usage of multitasking) and the higher-res display will kill it faster.
post #84 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Which iPhone do you have, the original? My 3GS lasts 2 days easily with moderate use and 3G active. The Droid might have the same capacity battery as the iPhone, but I expect broader support for multitasking (combined with careless usage of multitasking) and the higher-res display will kill it faster.

Same here, but I have 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth active all the time. I have to charge every 2 days.....and I thought that was bad.
post #85 of 215
Quote:

It doesn't last very long because he's always on AI posting
post #86 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Windows 7 sales have exceeded Vista sales by 234%.

That's a meaningless statistic, unless you can provide absolute numbers for context. It would be true if Vista sold 100 copies and 7 sold 334 copies, but those numbers would mean they were both an utter disaster. Maybe a 234% increase is a great thing, maybe it's just mediocre, maybe it's actually terrible.
post #87 of 215
Quote:

Well then the Droid battery must be pretty pathetic then as I've never had my iPhone last more than half a day. And I have to constantly charge it while at work. Not complaining - just stating facts.

Maybe your battery is defective because my 3GS lasts all day and usually still has half charge at the end of the day. As much time as you spend here at AI and the rest of the day you are running down your iPhone you must not get much work done at your job.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #88 of 215
Quote:

I have a 3Gs. I go out to lunch at 100% charge - when I come back in an hour it's down to 75- 80%. I swear- is it AT&T's 3G that's draining it? I usually update NY Times, don't play music, go on line- but that's it. It drains like that in an hour. After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.
post #89 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe your battery is defective because my 3GS lasts all day and usually still has half charge at the end of the day. As much time as you spend here at AI and the rest of the day you are running down your iPhone you must not get much work done at your job.

That is my job, didn't you know?
I'm on AI on a PC. I get to see all of AI's flash ads- no problem!
post #90 of 215
Quote:

After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.

You do that?????

post #91 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

God have I been misquoted on that by both you and your mentor solipsism who claims I want that in my AppleTV (never said that). I only want it in my HD 16:9 iMac- at least as an option. Is that too much to ask?
post #92 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

You do that?????

Drained!!!!!
post #93 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

You do that?????

Teck's a shooter. Texting the ladies alone takes up half the battery.
post #94 of 215
Quote:

I have a 3Gs. I go out to lunch at 100% charge - when I come back in an hour it's down to 75- 80%. I swear- is it AT&T's 3G that's draining it? I usually update NY Times, don't play music, go on line- but that's it. It drains like that in an hour. After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.

Something is not right. Are you sure you don't have Wifi and/or Bluetooth enabled also? But even still, that shouldn't drain your battery that much in an hour. I left the house at 7:30 this morning with 100% and now (4:38 pm) I am at 72%. I have 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth enabled. I'm fetching/pushing email every 15 minutes and listen to 1 hour (gym at lunch) of music. Access Facebook several times a day and surf one or two times. I only got one phone call.
post #95 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

As usual your confused. The main problem is you don't use the products you bash. Its not just with Microsoft its with every product made by any other company other then Apple. Its not like I'm the only one that has picked up on it, read other comments in this thread regarding your "informed" opinion.

Posting links written by others is useful in some cases but you use them to try and support your convoluted point of view.

You talk about trolls your one of the biggest trolls on this forum.

Yeah the word is out Quadra 610 will follow an Apple product right off of a cliff!

Apple make some really GREAT consumer products. We can all agree with that but we don't follow blindly. MS has some great product as well. So does HP, Dell , Acer and so forth........

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #96 of 215
Quote:

That's odd...I listen to music and surf a little update my Facebook and got about 30 emails today and the battery is still at 70%
But I turn off Bluetooth and wireless where it asks to join new wireless networks so it is not constantly searching for wireless networks.
You might have a defective battery......

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #97 of 215
Consumers that have switched to the Mac are not going to return to Microsoft. Years of disgust with Microsoft is what caused many people to switch in the first place. Apple would have to make the consumer very angry in order to motivate him/her to switch back to the PC world.

Seven is a consumer operating system. Play with Seven long enough, and you begin to understand that Windows 7 is a polished version of Vista. Most consumers will not notice. Compared to Vista, Seven does have some nice features copied from the Apple, such as an intuitive program/file search and a dock. Windows 7 will be a success, because you can buy it installed on a $300 netbook. If the consumer needs a computer simply for internet access and a couple of video games, why bother spending $1200 on a MacBook Pro?

But let's be honest, Seven is no easier for sysadmins to manage in the enterprise than Vista. For example, try to copy a user profile to default user in Seven (Microsoft disabled this feature in Seven), or have a look at Win server 2008 group policy for Seven (confusing, unnecessarily complex). If I were an Apple executive, I would take this approach when talking with CIOs. Over the next several months, watch for articles that report slow adoption of Seven in the enterprise........

In Higher Education, students are not the problem. The hard sell for Apple is to win the hearts and minds of professors .......... \
post #98 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig View Post

Consumers that have switched to the Mac are not going to return to Microsoft. Years of disgust with Microsoft is what caused many people to switch in the first place. Apple would have to make the consumer very angry in order to motivate him/her to switch back to the PC world.

Seven is a consumer operating system. Play with Seven long enough, and you begin to understand that Windows 7 is a polished version of Vista. Most consumers will not notice. Compared to Vista, Seven does have some nice features copied from the Apple, such as an intuitive program/file search and a dock. Windows 7 will be a success, because you can buy it installed on a $300 netbook. If the consumer needs a computer simply for internet access and a couple of video games, why bother spending $1200 on a MacBook Pro?

But let's be honest, Seven is no easier for sysadmins to manage in the enterprise than Vista. For example, try to copy a user profile to default user in Seven (Microsoft disabled this feature in Seven), or have a look at Win server 2008 group policy for Seven (confusing, unnecessarily complex). If I were an Apple executive, I would take this approach when talking with CIOs. Over the next several months, watch for articles that report slow adoption of Seven in the enterprise........

In Higher Education, students are not the problem. The hard sell for Apple is to win the hearts and minds of professors .......... \

Blah Blah Blah

It's funny how it took Windows 7 less than a month to take over Snow Leopard

No matter how you cut it, Mac's worldwide marketshare ar 4% is a rounding error compared to Microsoft. PC world gets the job done the way Microsoft likes it to be done; Steve Jobs lost the PC battle to Gates long time ago. He tried it but Gates came out victorious

As for switching to macs, there are people out there who wants to have real computers and get work done rather playing with iChat video effects and sipping latte in starbucks while dressing like a hipster. Majority of users are not in the habbit of bending over to Apple to sell them an inferior hardware at twice the price. Apple can make as many ads as they want, their worldwide marketshare is irrelevant compared to Microsoft. World's biggest corporations use Microsoft technology to run their business not iChat or iMovie!
post #99 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You sound like a child with his arms crossed, stomping his feet saying "NO NO NO NO NO!"

People like Windows 7. That pisses you off doesn't it? You've made your hatred for MS so personal that you perceive their success as a personal blow. Absolutely amazing on so many levels. Really, you belong in a psychology journal somewhere.

As many others will inevitably say, I've been on Vista for the past 2 years with not a single problem whatsoever. In fact, I've yet to actually meet anyone who feels their Vista machine needs to be "fixed."

I'd like to bet you don't have much experience with Vista, and given your obvious bias towards Apple, whatever short experience you do have you've subjected to a strict scrutiny you don't even hold OSX to.

Anyways, you're more than welcome to voice an obvious bias given this is an Apple website, but lets stick to reality when it comes to this stuff.

See, if the fact that Vista wasn't revolutionary enough for XP users to justify the price is what you call a "garbage operating system" then I wonder what all those people who don't buy OSX upgrades call OSX...

Thank you for speaking up to Quadra, I agree and second everything you say!
post #100 of 215
Quote:

Try posting less ... you'll save battery .... and make a lot of people happy, very happy.... very, very happy!
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #101 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Try posting less ... you'll save battery .... and make a lot of people happy, very happy.... very, very happy!

Typical Apple hipster fanboy who dislikes when people critize Apple. If you criticize Apple, then you must shut up because mighty Apple is above everything. Instead of wearing of those tight shirts on your fat belly try to be a realist; not everyone bends over to Apple!
post #102 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

MS could make the coolest OS ever with all kinds of advancements, but if the GUI stays the same then people whine about how nothing changed. when they change the GUI too much people complain that they don't want to learn the new GUI.

Google Desktop is a dog when it indexes your stuff but people love it. MS did the same thing in Vista and people hated it and said Vista was too slow.

7 is OK. snappier than Vista. Same kernel as Vista SP2. XP Mode works great and is nice and fast. for some reason my IE still refuses to update RSS feeds. most of the big changes between XP and Win 7 came between Vista RTM and SP2 when they changed kernels

Windows version of Safari is snappier too in 7
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #103 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

Blah Blah Blah

No matter how you cut it, Mac's worldwide marketshare ar 4% is a rounding error compared to Microsoft. PC world gets the job done the way Microsoft likes it to be done; Steve Jobs lost the PC battle to Gates long time ago. He tried it but Gates came out victorious

As for switching to macs, there are people out there who wants to have real computers and get work done rather playing with iChat video effects and sipping latte in starbucks while dressing like a hipster. Majority of users are not in the habbit of bending over to Apple to sell them an inferior hardware at twice the price. Apple can make as many ads as they want, their worldwide marketshare is irrelevant compared to Microsoft. World's biggest corporations use Microsoft technology to run their business not iChat or iMovie!

There are tons more low end Toyotas too so I guess I better trash that Ferrari of mine, volume obviously proves they are better ... right?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #104 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Something is not right. Are you sure you don't have Wifi and/or Bluetooth enabled also? But even still, that shouldn't drain your battery that much in an hour. I left the house at 7:30 this morning with 100% and now (4:38 pm) I am at 72%. I have 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth enabled. I'm fetching/pushing email every 15 minutes and listen to 1 hour (gym at lunch) of music. Access Facebook several times a day and surf one or two times. I only got one phone call.

If you look at TechDud's previous postings, you will probably reach the same conclusion many of us have of him, i.e. he tends to, how shall I put it, say whatever he has to say to back up his opinion .... even if it sounds to be unbelievable. I really wouldn't rely too much on his "facts."
post #105 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There are tons more low end Toyotas too so I guess I better trash that Ferrari of mine, volume obviously proves they are better ... right?

Yeah...well Apple is no Ferrari.......but what does everyone that sees a Ferrari drive? Not another Ferrari....... Do you see those Ferrari at work? Do they set the standard or the other way around?
Anyway....we are all in agreement that Apple is enjoying great success! They put out great products!
But they have a very LONG way to go before they come close to catching up to MS! I enjoy and support both companies products and not ashamed to admit it!!!!

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #106 of 215
Quote:

If you look at TechDud's previous postings, you will probably reach the same conclusion many of us have of him, i.e. he tends to, how shall I put it, say whatever he has to say to back up his opinion .... even if it sounds to be unbelievable. I really wouldn't rely too much on his "facts."

I would suggest simply adding him to the blocked list. It is so much nicer reading the threads sans 'he who shall not be named'. If only others wouldn't reply to him ...\
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #107 of 215
Quote:

Typical Apple hipster fanboy who dislikes when people critize Apple. If you criticize Apple, then you must shut up because mighty Apple is above everything. Instead of wearing of those tight shirts on your fat belly try to be a realist; not everyone bends over to Apple!

What's the matter ... did you just realize that the person you would like to be with cannot stand you? With all the insults over mac users, sounds to me like "penis envy". Just curious, are you the bender or the bendee???
post #108 of 215
Quote:

Ferrari Doesn't use the same engine as a Toyota!

Macs use the exact same compotents as the PCs out there hence why they can proclaim that they can run Windows too! They use the exact same processor, chipset, memory, graphics chip and so on! There isn't anything Ferrari like in a mac as much as you guys love the cars argument! If macs used a different hardware, then maybe you could make the argument (although we know how the whole PowerPC is better than Intel turned out!)

Unless ofcourse, you are willing to tell me the Intel processors Apple uses are different from the ones PC makers use? Or Graphics chip that Apple uses (which are considered obsolete in the PC world) are beter than the PC ones?

If anything, for the same price you get better hardware on a PC than on a mac. So yeah; your argument for Ferrari vs. Toyota doesn't hold water!

Now if you insist on car analogies, I tell you this. If Apple is like BMW, then the PC world is like Toyota. Apple only does premium market. PCs have their Toyota brand which majority of the the people purchase and they have their premium Lexus brand for those who want to spend more

Considering 90% of the world have rejected Apple and said no to their ecosystem, I'd say that the Microsoft approach is the better one!
post #109 of 215
Quote:

And the rest of the comparison...

"The iPhone wins on simplicity, refinement, thinness, design, Web browsing, music/video synching with your computer, accessory ecosystem and quality/quantity of the app store."

Dont forget that stellar 5Mpx camera that takes worse pics than the crappy 3Mpx camera in the iPhone.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyi/s...7622609402533/ I cant believe someone can be so wrong so often. Im simply amazed by this warped mentality.

Quote:

I will bet the iPhone wins handily on battery life, too, and Droid users will be compelled to carry a spare. The only battery comparisons I've seen so far have been highly subjective and based on very limited usage of the Droid.

I think this remains to be seen. As you probably know, with 3G on and making a phone call CDMA-based phones use 2G for voice while GSM-based phones will use the 3G network. I can easily see the Droid best the iPhone here. They do list an extra hour of talk time on the website, though I dont know if Motorola uses the factual measuring method that Apple and Sony uses.

Their idle time 270hr standby time is 10% less than the 3GS 300hr. With that in mind Id wager that music, videos and internet use will considerably short than the 3GS. I predict 15% less for music, 20% less for video, and up to 35% less for internet.

Quote:

I wouldnt doubt it.

Quote:

Windows version of Safari is snappier too in 7

AnandTech did a piece on Windows browsers to measure how they affect battery times in notebooks. IE is the best for Windows and Safari is the worst if you are trying to squeeze as much juice out of your battery. Of course, Windows is considerably worse than OS X for battery usage so youre better off to have a Mac running OS X anyway.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #110 of 215
Quote:

Considering 90% of the world have rejected Apple and said no to their ecosystem, I'd say that the Microsoft approach is the better one!

Better tell that to SB ... he's the one concerned enough to copy everything that Apple does, OS, Zune, retail stores, (staff & locations). Im still waiting for M$ first original idea.
post #111 of 215
Quote:

Better tell that to SB ... he's the one concerned enough to copy everything that Apple does, OS, Zune, retail stores, (staff & locations). Im still waiting for M$ first original idea.

And who cares about the original idea?

If anything, it is embarrassing that Microsoft defeated Apple in their own game! Ofcourse they copy Apple; every company copies another one so I don't see what the problem is. Apple didn't invent retail stores either (although no one deny's Microsoft's striking resemblance to Apple stores) and they didn't have the first smartphone either. So is Apple to be ashamed becase RIM made smartphones before them?

The whole who stole my idea is getting old and nobody cares about it anymore. What matters is that they control 90% of the market and people constantly say no to Apple in an overwhelming number!

As for SB, I'm happy he takes the competiton seriously even though the competition doesn't have any chance of hurting their primary market. I'd rather see a CEO who crushes every single competiton no matter how small they are rather than some one who does nothing

In this market, you have to be ready to fight hard and dont waste any second to hurt your opponent. Microsoft learned their lesson with the Vista years and now they are schooled enough to take any one and anything seriously. As a tenns fanatic who loves the idea of crushing your opponent i like this approach very much! You have to constntly think about your opponent and figuring out ways to fight them both in terms of product quality and propaganda! Anything less and you lose

As for Ballmer, he is far from my idea of someone who should be running Microsoft. He has gotten much better lately but Microsoft needs someone likes Gates who is sharp and hungry for success. He is the man who defeated Apple and Jobs and Microsoft needs a CEO like that
post #112 of 215
Quote:

And who cares about the original idea?

If anything, it is embarrassing that Microsoft defeated Apple in their own game!

Yes, Apple conceded the bulk of the dekstop market to Microsoft.

Their results:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/21results.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ence_call.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html

http://themacfeed.com/?p=3920

http://www.thedomains.com/2009/10/19...revenue-up-25/

Record quarter after record quarter, going back to 2006, with growth outpacing the rest of the industry year over year.

Recession-proof.

Their market:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...NPD/1248313624

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html

http://techblips.dailyradar.com/stor...-electronista/

The reaction:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10019711-37.html

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...g-industry.ars

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_leads_20...faction_survey

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/....no..1.on.csi/

http://theappleblog.com/2009/05/06/a...he-experience/

http://blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/...s-customerbase

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...stomer_sa.html

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-posts...ion-index/2553

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/22467/

http://bindapple.com/apple-satisfaction-2009-report/

http://www.macnn.com/news/25971

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/14/...action-survey/

http://www.ipodobserver.com/ipo/arti...ff_The_Charts/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/08...-satisfaction/

http://www.mactivist.com/2009/06/iph...kings-in-japan

http://www.9to5mac.com/jobs-satisfation-rate-high

http://www.jdpower.com/Business/rati...tphone-ratings

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2248040/...ps-top-billing

http://www.eweek.com/prestitial.php?...453807%2F&ref=

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352796,00.asp

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2006/08/5002.ars

http://www.osnews.com/story/15553

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1689554/posts

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-224872.html

The cash:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...vs._microsoft/

http://www.google.ca/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/04/tech...ecade.fortune/

Yeah. Really embarrassing . . .
post #113 of 215
Quote:

A Toyotta has lower acquisition costs, lower maintenance costs, lower carbon dioxide emissions and is more practical than a Ferrari to get actually things done in life instead of trying to impress people around you. And I've yet to see a Ferrari which can take as much abuse as a Toyotta family van can take over the years.

Ferrari and Apple may not be that different in some aspects: They sell a life-style where in the end it actually doesn't really matter if the good warrants the prize from a pure quality point of view.
post #114 of 215
Quote:

Why is it funny? MS has a higher OS marketshre and Vista wasnt popular, yet even Vista outsold SL by a large margin. It would be funny if they didnt, instead its just expected.

Quote:

If anything, it is embarrassing that Microsoft defeated Apple in their own game!

Weve talked about this before, MS and Apple arent playing the same game in the PC market. MS sells a PC OS whilst Apple sells PC. The difference between Apple and other PC HW vendors is that Apples strategy is to sell it by also integrating the OS and other software to it. This is not the same stay as MS. Now, Apple if were to license their OS to any and every PC vendor and they still had 4% OS marketshare then youd have a point. Until then, you dont have a leg to stand on.
post #115 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, Apple conceded the bulk of the dekstop market to Microsoft.

Their results:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/21results.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ence_call.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html

http://themacfeed.com/?p=3920

http://www.thedomains.com/2009/10/19...revenue-up-25/

Record quarter after record quarter, going back to 2006, with growth outpacing the rest of the industry year over year.

Recession-proof.

Their market:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...NPD/1248313624

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html

http://techblips.dailyradar.com/stor...-electronista/

The reaction:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10019711-37.html

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...g-industry.ars

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_leads_20...faction_survey

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/....no..1.on.csi/

http://theappleblog.com/2009/05/06/a...he-experience/

http://blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/...s-customerbase

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...stomer_sa.html

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-posts...ion-index/2553

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/22467/

http://bindapple.com/apple-satisfaction-2009-report/

http://www.macnn.com/news/25971

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/14/...action-survey/

http://www.ipodobserver.com/ipo/arti...ff_The_Charts/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/08...-satisfaction/

http://www.mactivist.com/2009/06/iph...kings-in-japan

http://www.9to5mac.com/jobs-satisfation-rate-high

http://www.jdpower.com/Business/rati...tphone-ratings

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2248040/...ps-top-billing

http://www.eweek.com/prestitial.php?...453807%2F&ref=

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352796,00.asp

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2006/08/5002.ars

http://www.osnews.com/story/15553

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1689554/posts

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-224872.html

The cash:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...vs._microsoft/

Yeah. Really embarrassing . . .

So let me get this. You're saying Apple is doing well in the market. Is anyone in this topic saying otherwise? Nobody is saying they are doing bad financially. Microsoft is not bad financially either. They have both probven to be successful companies in their markets. Hell even Google is recession proof considering their market value and how much control they have over web and search. These three are the big guys of the today's tech
We are talking about marketshare and OS. Microsoft owns the PC market and there is no other way around no matter how many ads gets produced. Microsoft has a tendency stick to their fights and finally prevail. They took on Sony (who made the most successful console of all time) and in this generation they are ahead of Sony.

And let me tell you this. Apple is doing great now but it doesnt mean it will continue forever. They fell once and they can possibly fall again. Sony used to be the commander of the tech industry and today they are a shadow of what used to be the top premium company in the market. Michael Dell had his famous "I'd sell the company and give the money back to the shareholders" moment and look where his company is today compared to Apple. It's easy to climb up but it is way more difficult to maintain that position. Many companies have failed when they reached the absolute top. Microsoft got lucky and learned their lesson few years ago with vista and now they know they should take nothing for granted and hence they are doing much better (and yes, they should thank Apple for that)
post #116 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is it funny? MS has a higher OS marketshre and Vista wasnt popular, yet even Vista outsold SL by a large margin. It would be funny if they didnt, instead its just expected.

Weve talked about this before, MS and Apple arent playing the same game in the PC market. MS sells a PC OS whilst Apple sells PC. The difference between Apple and other PC HW vendors is that Apples strategy is to sell it by also integrating the OS and other software to it. This is not the same stay as MS. Now, Apple if were to license their OS to any and every PC vendor and they still had 4% OS marketshare then youd have a point. Until then, you dont have a leg to stand on.

LOL, apparently it's news that Windows is outselling OS X.

1) Apple does not license OS X out to every POS vendor and their dog (thankfully.)

2) Not everyone can afford entry into the Mac ecosystem (such is the reality of the Premium segment of retail.)

This is how Apple wants it. And it's proven to be ridiculously successul. It's a shame that everyone tries to emulate Apple in this regard, but only Apple can pull it off.

One would think the above two points would be common knowledge by now. Oh well.
post #117 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple invented the personal computer market. It was their game. Apple's approach to the PC market has always been hardware locked to software (except the brief period of mac clones). They have advertised this approach as the best one for personal computers (I assume you watch the Mac vs. PC ads). Yet consumers have consistently said no to this approach and they have chosen Microsoft's way of doing things. Nobody forced Apple from beginning to not do what Microsoft did. They could have yet they chose not to because they knew better. Turned out they didn't; Microsoft won and Apple lost in a market that they created themselves
post #118 of 215
Quote:

Which game is that?
post #119 of 215
Quote:

It was their game. Apple's approach to the PC market has always been hardware locked to software

You freely admit that Apple’s business model is and has been the synergy of the HW and SW in a complete model that they create. You understand that Apple is directly competing with MS because Apple doesn’t license their OS to any PC vendor. You have acknowledged that Apple is more or less competing with the HW vendors plus whatever OS they use, be it Windows or Linux, so your comparison should be with other PC HW vendors.

HP has a 25% unit marketshare. Yet your previous argument is that Apple doesn’t have a majority unit marketshare on the OS. For Apple to do get 51% of the OS marketshare with their CHOSEN business model (note how that is different than a business model one is forced into) they’d have to get 51% of the PC marketshare. more than twice as much as HP has now selling $400 computers. Do you not see how HP couldn’t possibly do that and how it how be even more impossible for Apple to do that when it doesn’t sell any cheap plastic machines with Pentium or Centrino CPUs?

If you don’t then you don’t understand business at all. You are either very young, have a diet consisting mostly of lead paint and/or are TeckStud. I’m joking on the last two points, of course.
post #120 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Which game is that?

Ones playing Chess the other is playing Checkers, but because they use the same board they are playing the same game and checkers is better because you can get more Kings.

(still working on the analogy, but I know its in there somewhere)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware