or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › To those with an XBox - So how's Halo, then?

To those with an XBox - So how's Halo, then?

post #1 of 5
After all the fuss, is the game any good?

Would it have made any difference to sales of the new iMac if it had been released on the Mac as originally intended?
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #2 of 5
I don't really think so.

A PC user wouldn't switch to Mac because of Halo, which would be available on PC too.

A Mac user probably wouldn't buy a new iMac just for Halo, especially when there are better spec'd machines already out there.

The XBox is more impressive for gaming than the iMac...GeForce3+ vs GeForce2 MX.

The game is good, but well below my original early-1999 expectations.
I can change my sig again!
post #3 of 5
Halo is a great game, but it seems it was 'rushed' to be done in time for the launch. The game has both it's high and it's low points. Originally in the Mac version, you were supposed to be able to go 'everywhere' in Halo and find your own way. In the XBox version, you are limited to where you can go and your path is really set for you. (Basically kill the aliens until you reach the end of the level).

The graphics of the game are great, I like the weapons, and driving around in the vehicles is really cool.

If you can get two XBoxes in one place, you an have a really fun team deathmatch where your opponents can't see your part of the screen.

If the game had been Mac only, more iMacs would have been sold. People have been buying the XBox to play this game.

But apparently, Microsoft is only making this a Mac game because of the 5 year agreement with Apple. I read that in their contract, if Microsoft announces a product for the Mac OS and it is ever released for any platform, it had to be released for the Mac OS (they couldn't discontinue development). When Microsoft bought Bungie, they decided to make Halo an 'XBox exclusive', but since they had their agreement with Apple and it had already been announced for the Mac, they had to continue development and release it.

When they realized that they were going to have to release the game on the Mac any way, they just decided to release the PC version as well because it would look bad for them if they said that the game could only run on the 'Powerful XBox' and not the Windows PC, and then they released it on the Mac.

It's a pretty interesting story, don't you think?
post #4 of 5
Actually, no, Microsoft is not being forced to release Halo for Mac. Halo was demoed on Mac OS before Bungie was purchased by MS. Back then it was even a compltetely different game. Sure, Seropian came up and annonced Halo was still coming to the platform, but words don't mean anything. What if he was drunk? He's not the end of the chain anyway. Ballmer, Gates and the rest of the board have their say too. They have no such contract that I am aware of anyway.

When Bungie was sold to MS, I decided I could no longer trust Alex Seropian or Jason Jones. Even if they do intend to bring Halo to Mac OS (don't hold your breath,) Monkey Ballmer could veto such a decision anyway.
post #5 of 5
Hey Eugene. I'm just telling you what I read. I'll try and find a link.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › To those with an XBox - So how's Halo, then?