or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Broadway store to open Saturday, Nov. 14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Broadway store to open Saturday, Nov. 14

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Apple has officially announced that its forthcoming flagship store on Broadway in New York City will have its grand opening on Nov. 14, in time for the holiday shopping season.

The store is located at Broadway and 67th, and Apple recently began hyping its impending opening by shrouding the glass-front store with a graphic depicting a red curtain. That same red curtain has appeared on the retail store's official Web site and on invitations sent to members of the press for the grand opening.

The company had promised the location at 1981 Broadway, which used to be home to a Victoria's Secret, would open by the end of 2009. It was originally expected to finish by Thanksgiving, but as of September that deadline was pushed back.

According to Gary Allen at ifoAppleStore, the store's unique curved glass roof design cover the rear three-quarters of the new store. The store's huge glass storefront is said to be 54 feet tall, 75 feet wide and 30 feet deep. It has been covered with black plastic, concealing the inside. Permits show that the Apple Retail outlet will include one level above ground and two below.

The sidewalk in front of the store is currently blocked off, and is under watch by security guards.

Broadway photos courtesy Gary Allen, ifoAppleStore

The location was first revealed in late 2007. The city required Apple to retain at least half of the original exterior wall for the new location. The construction reportedly cost $37.9 million.

The Broadway location will be Apple's fourth Manhattan retail outlet. Existing stores exist on Prince Street in SoHo, on West 14th Street in the Meatpacking District, and at Fifth Avenue and 59th Street. This year, the Fifth Avenue store was revealed to be the most profitable per square foot in the expensive shopping district. The store is estimated to have annual sales of more than $350 million.



In other retail news, opening this weekend is the new Apple Store at the Carrousel de Louvre in Paris, scheduled for 10 a.m. on Saturday. MacGeneration was in attendance at a press briefing at the new location, where Ron Johnson, senior vice president of Apple Retail, reportedly said that France is poised to have the fastest opening rate of stores, with the Montpellier location to open Nov. 14 and one near the Opera Ganier to debut in the summer of 2010.





More photos from the event are available from MacGeneration.

Finally, an AppleInsider reader sent word that the Apple retail store in the Mission Viejo Mall in Orange County, Calif., is set to re-open on Nov. 27. That store closed for renovations in September, after Microsoft announced it would open its own retail outlet in the same mall.

post #2 of 24
Give my regards...
post #3 of 24
woohoo i really want to see what this looks like.
post #4 of 24
The Apple Store in Woodfield Mall (Schaumburg, IL) that I go to is so boring compared to all these new ones I see opening!
post #5 of 24
MS copies Apple’s design just as Apple does a revamp of their stores? What can we expect with the decor? Usually Apple goes thinner, but to make their products look thinner they need to stick with thicker tables and countertops. The natural wood is warm. I can’t imagine what else they’d use. Anyone?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 24
What other modern phenomenon can compare with Apple, Inc's success and expansion?!

Investing many millions to make many more millions only works when the company's products are in high demand, are of substantial quality, and can be delivered in quantity.

It's interesting to see that this works in spite of so many "bad economy"-type excuses being proffered by others, and that people will happily spend money no matter how supposedly "hard" the times are.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #7 of 24
My wife was in the 5th Ave store last Saturday and asked the employee when the new store would open. They said as far as they know, that store doesn't even exist!

I love the way Apple plays everything so mysteriously. Steve Jobs must be a Hitchcock fan.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

My wife was in the 5th Ave store last Saturday and asked the employee when the new store would open. They said as far as they know, that store doesn't even exist!

I love the way Apple plays everything so mysteriously. Steve Jobs must be a Hitchcock fan.

That even seems extreme for Apple. A few months ago there was an original Apple Computer, Inc. business operation manual (or something like that) that stated that no product is to be revealed or discussed until its ready. I guess they have taken that to heart, with the necessary exceptions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS copies Apples design just as Apple does a revamp of their stores? What can we expect with the decor? Usually Apple goes thinner, but to make their products look thinner they need to stick with thicker tables and countertops. The natural wood is warm. I cant imagine what else theyd use. Anyone?

you mean-Derailment anyone?
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

My wife was in the 5th Ave store last Saturday and asked the employee when the new store would open. They said as far as they know, that store doesn't even exist!

I love the way Apple plays everything so mysteriously. Steve Jobs must be a Hitchcock fan.

No- that's just a not too bright emloyee which Apple seems to have more and more of these days especially in that store.
post #11 of 24
Mapple.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

What other modern phenomenon can compare with Apple, Inc's success and expansion?!

Investing many millions to make many more millions only works when the company's products are in high demand, are of substantial quality, and can be delivered in quantity.

It's interesting to see that this works in spite of so many "bad economy"-type excuses being proffered by others, and that people will happily spend money no matter how supposedly "hard" the times are.

Microsoft?

the most profitable stock ever if you held it since IPO
post #13 of 24
Hey, the Apple at the Paris store looks like it has a bite out the left side botttom.
Maybe French Leftist Apple.
post #14 of 24
Walked by the new store just yesterday hoping for a sneak peak inside.. wishful thinking. The faux red curtains look pretty cool up close. location is excellent.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mapple.

Agree about the Magic mouse; form over function in this case, sadly. Too bad since the function it attempts would be so welcome if useful.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Agree about the Magic mouse; form over function in this case, sadly. Too bad since the function it attempts would be so welcome if useful.

I told you all this- the first day I went in and hand tested it myself. Especially if you have big hands. Too flat- almost like a pancake.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I told you all this- the first day I went in and hand tested it myself. Especially if you have big hands. Too flat- almost like a pancake.

teckstud actually made sense.

Merry Christmas!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I told you all this- the first day I went in and hand tested it myself. Especially if you have big hands. Too flat- almost like a pancake.

I actually agree with this also, but it's not "form over function" as Boogerman suggests.

It's a great design if you have the exact right size hands. They should just get real and make a small, medium and large size.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I actually agree with this also, but it's not "form over function" as Boogerman suggests.

It's a great design if you have the exact right size hands. They should just get real and make a small, medium and large size.

That sounds like a good idea.

Its too bad they cant also offer Dashboard and Exposé buttons, as well as a way to set it up as a 3-button mouse. For instance, using the Sys Prefs to dynamically create your areas for the left, middle and right click so that they best ones particular hands and usage. Even with the same sized hands, it doesnt mean you utilize the device in the same way. The multi-touch top makes this a very realistic possibility.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I actually agree with this also, but it's not "form over function" as Boogerman suggests.

It's a great design if you have the exact right size hands. They should just get real and make a small, medium and large size.

That's a cool idea- like footwear or gloves.
Speaking of which- do I need to cut the tips off my gloves to use my iPhone in the Winter?
I remember seeing people riding the subway last year and thought they were just a new hipster add-on but now I see they actually have a purpose!
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS copies Apples design just as Apple does a revamp of their stores? What can we expect with the decor? Usually Apple goes thinner, but to make their products look thinner they need to stick with thicker tables and countertops. The natural wood is warm. I cant imagine what else theyd use. Anyone?

I think brighter and more color. Not a lot but a few tasteful accents to generally bolden the feel and make it more 'fun'. I agree that slabs of wood and minimalism will prevail but perhaps the general design will be more playful. The present tables are cool but there is scope for development with use of cantilevered surfaces, more use of metal perhaps. (No Chrome!) Most Apple products are fairly monochrome except for the ipods so some clever use of color might make the non ipod products stand out.

Can't wait to see
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's a cool idea- like footwear or gloves.
Speaking of which- do I need to cut the tips off my gloves to use my iPhone in the Winter?
I remember seeing people riding the subway last year and thought they were just a new hipster add-on but now I see they actually have a purpose!

I remember seeing a pair of gloves with 'iphone-ized' tips. They must be tight gloves (not the kind used in Canada!), but for more temperate zones?
Found these
http://www.dotsgloves.com/
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

... do I need to cut the tips off my gloves to use my iPhone in the Winter?...

yes, you have to have the actual fingers touch. there is a product they make for people in Northern climates that has some special material in the finger tips though if you don't want to look like a hipster.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Microsoft?

the most profitable stock ever if you held it since IPO

Since only about 86 people popped for the MS IPO, it' a pretty small crowd of millionaires. The bloody stock has as much volatility as Ballmer's hair oil.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's a cool idea- like footwear or gloves.
Speaking of which- do I need to cut the tips off my gloves to use my iPhone in the Winter?
I remember seeing people riding the subway last year and thought they were just a new hipster add-on but now I see they actually have a purpose!

haha, nice. the kinder, gentler, more subtly derisive teckstud. same song, different tune. at least it's an improvement!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Broadway store to open Saturday, Nov. 14