or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple unveils holiday shopping in-store pickup option
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils holiday shopping in-store pickup option - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If a company wishes to state Happy Holidays they arent leaving out Jews or Christians; they are generalizing to cover the field.

But they are leaving out atheists with no holidays (holy days).
Happy Holidays specifically goes against their beliefs.
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with that. Why is it only Christians have a problem with businesses not specifically stating Merry Christmas?

25 December is a federal holiday (in the US) for one reason.
Because it is Christmas.
It's not a federal holiday beause it's around Kwanzaa or Hannukah or at the end of the year.
Quote:
Why is it only Christians have a problem with businesses not specifically stating Merry Christmas?

Why is it that non-Christians have a problem with Christians, and how Christians chose to celebrate their holidays, especially when it does not affect others (except to give these non-Christians days off and stuff on sale)??
Why do companies (and others) have a problem with saying "Merry Christmas"?

I'm not suggesting they should not use "Happy Holidays" at all, but advertisers/companies do go extremely far out of their way to avoid using the word "Christmas", especially when it is painfully obvoious from ads, they do have everything to do with Christmas. (Christmas lights, tree, stockings, wrapping paper, bows, etc.)
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

The bottom line is that while one can deny the existence and level of significance of Jesus Christ one cannot deny Christmas as a high Holy day for some and just another holiday or day off for others. IT is real and IT exists so lets stop pretending, in the name of political correctness, that IT does not.

No one is denying it exists, but to say a company should choose a specific religion to advertise to isnt good business. At least not on the coastal areas of the US. Saying Happy Holidays gets the point across even when there are Christmas trees with faux presents beneath it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But they are leaving out atheists with no holidays (holy days).
Happy Holidays specifically goes against their beliefs.

Yes, yes, we all know the origin of the word Holiday but language evolves and the term has additional meanings now. Ive never heard any Atheists complain about getting a day off from work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

And yet, it is the christian believers that get so upset when someone substitutes "Holiday" for "Christmas" for their sales.

Some Christians in the US also seem to have a problem with BCE/CE over BC/AD.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some Christians in the US also seem to have a problem with BCE/CE over BC/AD.

And positively apoplectic if they see "X-mas" used.
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

And positively apoplectic if they see "X-mas" used.

I've seen that, and that's because of their own ignorance too, because "X" meant Christ to Christians in the past. It's first letter of Christ in Greek, or the closest romanized equivalent anyways.
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've seen that, and that's because of their own ignorance too, because "X" meant Christ to Christians in the past. It's first letter of Christ in Greek, or the closest romanized equivalent anyways.

From OAD 2nd Edition: the twenty-second letter of the Greek alphabet ( Χ, χ), transliterated in the traditional Latin style as ch (as in Christ) or in the modern style as kh (as in Khaniá and in the etymologies of this dictionary). I bet if you asked the average person why X is used they tell you its to represent the cross. Then again, I suppose if enough people believe it and use in that manner then it becomes real, even if that isnt the origin.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

And yet, it is the christian believers that get so upset when someone substitutes "Holiday" for "Christmas" for their sales.

Hi, read entire posts much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one is denying it exists, but to say a company should choose a specific religion to advertise to isn’t good business. At least not on the coastal areas of the US. Saying Happy Holidays gets the point across even when there are Christmas trees with faux presents beneath it.

To not use the term Christmas when you are clearly referring to Christmas is very much denying it. No one is suggesting that a company choose any religion at all to advertise anything. Christmas, as a religious observance (Jesus) or simply a cultural custom (Santa Claus, Rudolph) exists.

It's intellectually dishonest to call it, or to work so hard to avoid calling it, anything else. What's telling is how far out of the way some will go to avoid the simple use of the term Christmas. As if it causes them pain. I've heard of revisionist history but this is reaching crazy levels.

What do the coastal areas of the US have to do with anything?

Happy Holidays gets a point across but probably not the point you would want. To many it says "I'm too politically correct and / or ignorant and / or cowardly to simply refer to Christmas, whatever it may or may not mean to you, as Christmas."

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some Christians in the US also seem to have a problem with BCE/CE over BC/AD.

Any intellectually honest person should have problems with the use of anything other than BC / AD. It's the same argument as with Christmas. BC and AD have been in use for hundreds of years and we're so self important and arrogant that we're going to attempt to change it now? Why? Think about it. Political correctness and revisionist history. Again, these dates could be the two most important events in your spiritual life or simply academic chronological milestones or bookmarks.

By the way... I'm now offended by the metric system. We need to start working on changing that. Oh, and gravity too. I'm thinking Sir Isaac Newton may not have been a Sir and may in fact not have been cranked by an apple.
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Reply
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Reply
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But they are leaving out atheists with no holidays (holy days).
Happy Holidays specifically goes against their beliefs.

25 December is a federal holiday (in the US) for one reason.
Because it is Christmas.
It's not a federal holiday beause it's around Kwanzaa or Hannukah or at the end of the year.

Why is it that non-Christians have a problem with Christians, and how Christians chose to celebrate their holidays, especially when it does not affect others (except to give these non-Christians days off and stuff on sale)??
Why do companies (and others) have a problem with saying "Merry Christmas"?

I'm not suggesting they should not use "Happy Holidays" at all, but advertisers/companies do go extremely far out of their way to avoid using the word "Christmas", especially when it is painfully obvoious from ads, they do have everything to do with Christmas. (Christmas lights, tree, stockings, wrapping paper, bows, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Hi, read entire posts much?



To not use the term Christmas when you are clearly referring to Christmas is very much denying it. No one is suggesting that a company choose any religion at all to advertise anything. Christmas, as a religious observance (Jesus) or simply a cultural custom (Santa Claus, Rudolph) exists.

It's intellectually dishonest to call it, or to work so hard to avoid calling it, anything else. What's telling is how far out of the way some will go to avoid the simple use of the term Christmas. As if it causes them pain. I've heard of revisionist history but this is reaching crazy levels.

What do the coastal areas of the US have to do with anything?

Happy Holidays gets a point across but probably not the point you would want. To many it says "I'm too politically correct and / or ignorant and / or cowardly to simply refer to Christmas, whatever it may or may not mean to you, as Christmas."



Any intellectually honest person should have problems with the use of anything other than BC / AD. It's the same argument as with Christmas. BC and AD have been in use for hundreds of years and we're so self important and arrogant that we're going to attempt to change it now? Why? Think about it. Political correctness and revisionist history. Again, these dates could be the two most important events in your spiritual life or simply academic chronological milestones or bookmarks.

By the way... I'm now offended by the metric system. We need to start working on changing that. Oh, and gravity too. I'm thinking Sir Isaac Newton may not have been a Sir and may in fact not have been cranked by an apple.

Hey guys, is someone stopping you from screaming "Merry Christmas" to everyone you see? Have "politically correct" shock troops come to your house and torn down your tree? Do the neighbors complain if you put up lights and yard decorations? Federal agents boarding up churches, disrupting Christmas services? They stop selling advent calendars and manger scenes and "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" sheet music?

No? Then how about a nice cup of STFU? Every damn year, the War on Christmas-tards make their noisy annual appearance, carrying on as if "Christmas" as a celebration of the birth of Christ were on the verge of being outlawed. Why? Because mass retailers, agents of the prostitution of the entire meaning of the celebration, are not sufficiently whoring out Jesus to move product.

It's usually easier for the right-wing mindset to square these two, diametrically opposed ideologies: capitalism and Christianity. Capitalism equals freedom and self determination equals What Jesus Would Do, or something.

But man, come Christmas-- what big corporations do with an eye on the bottom line is right out. How dare they calibrate the path of least resistance towards maximizing sales? It's, it's, political correctness run amok!

I think it's great that Walmart is emphasizing "Christmas" in their advertising. Clearly, they've made a calculation that doing so will be profitable. What, you thought they were pious? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Hi, read entire posts much?

Hi, why yes, I do read a person's entire post before posting.
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hey guys, is someone stopping you from screaming "Merry Christmas" to everyone you see? Have "politically correct" shock troops come to your house and torn down your tree? Do the neighbors complain if you put up lights and yard decorations? Federal agents boarding up churches, disrupting Christmas services? They stop selling advent calendars and manger scenes and "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" sheet music?

No? Then how about a nice cup of STFU? Every damn year, the War on Christmas-tards make their noisy annual appearance, carrying on as if "Christmas" as a celebration of the birth of Christ were on the verge of being outlawed. Why? Because mass retailers, agents of the prostitution of the entire meaning of the celebration, are not sufficiently whoring out Jesus to move product.

It's usually easier for the right-wing mindset to square these two, diametrically opposed ideologies: capitalism and Christianity. Capitalism equals freedom and self determination equals What Jesus Would Do, or something.

But man, come Christmas-- what big corporations do with an eye on the bottom line is right out. How dare they calibrate the path of least resistance towards maximizing sales? It's, it's, political correctness run amok!

I think it's great that Walmart is emphasizing "Christmas" in their advertising. Clearly, they've made a calculation that doing so will be profitable. What, you thought they were pious? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!

Rule 5: Ridicule is mans most potent weapon. Its hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

I guess I should be honored with the amount of time spent on the reply and I absolutely would be had you addressed the issue.
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Reply
Love The MAC, Hate On The FanBoy
Reply
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Rule 5: Ridicule is mans most potent weapon. Its hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

I guess I should be honored with the amount of time spent on the reply and I absolutely would be had you addressed the issue.

What issue?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple unveils holiday shopping in-store pickup option