or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Doom game creator suggests Apple embarrassed about iPhone gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doom game creator suggests Apple embarrassed about iPhone gaming - Page 5

post #161 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not, actually, I just don't think being really good at writing the software that depicts shooting monsters in dark hallways makes you a genius or a great man.

And yeah, I would say that making a company like ID is pretty much mostly about being really good at writing software that depicts shooting monsters in dark hallways, better than the next guy.

What else where you figuring was involved? The literary depth of gameplay? The artistic depictions of hallways?

wwwwww
post #162 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Carmack doesn't understand the Mac platform because he's ditched it long ago so he has no claim to make the statements he's making. He needs to shut up and put his money where his mouth is and start developing Mac games as well as iPhone games.

Did anybody bother to read the CNBC interview: http://www.cnbc.com/id/33721096/site/14081545

"Carmacks id Software plans to release one iPhone game per quarter over the next year. It has just put out Doom Classic, a port of the seminal first-person shooter. Still to come are iPhone versions of Quake and a second Doom role-playing game. The company also hopes to have an iPhone version of Rage ready to release when it launches he new action franchise, likely in 2010."
post #163 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I could see a Doom classic or even a version of Quake on the iPhone but I have no clue how they are going to make an iPhone version of Rage that even remotely looks like Rage.

http://www.rage-game.com/home.action

I don't know about you, but I've already been playing Quake on my iPhone for 2 years now.
post #164 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple doesn't get any good games because places like id Software, Value, Eidos and others are pushing the limits so hard it would be next to impossible to run these games on Apple hardware.

Most the time the CPU requirements are fine but Apple always falls very short on the GPU. Trying to play a game on an iMac 27" with an HD 4670 would be a joke. The game would be like watching a slide show. This is why our stuck with games like Quake 4.

I have a 15in MBP 3.02 GHz 500g 7500 rpm how do you think i would do trying the high end games .


And exactly what machines do you recommend for top flight gaming..

PEACE
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #165 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

John Carmack is rapidly running out of his 15 minutes of fame in the gaming industry.

The more he runs his mouth the more rapidly he become irrelevant.

haha - 15 minutes? are you high? try 15 years.
post #166 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I have a 15in MBP 3.02 GHz 500g 7500 rpm how do you think i would do trying the high end games .


And exactly what machines do you recommend for top flight gaming..

PEACE
9

you wouldn't do very well with the latest generation and upcoming titles from the likes of valve, crytek, id, etc...

to play these titles and see them at their best, you need a fast processor (clock speed: lots of cores don't really help - not yet), plenty of ram, and, most importantly, as much gpu horsepower you can get your hands on. with apple you can get the processor and ram (you'll pay a big premium), but what you can't get is enough gpu horsepower.
post #167 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

John Carmack is rapidly running out of his 15 minutes of fame in the gaming industry.

The more he runs his mouth the more rapidly he become irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not, actually, I just don't think being really good at writing the software that depicts shooting monsters in dark hallways makes you a genius or a great man.

And yeah, I would say that making a company like ID is pretty much mostly about being really good at writing software that depicts shooting monsters in dark hallways, better than the next guy.

What else where you figuring was involved? The literary depth of gameplay? The artistic depictions of hallways?

Oh, I don't know - maybe an amazing understanding of math and physics. how about the credit for inventing an entire genre of entertainment?

- inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame
- two Emmy Awards
- the only game designer ever honored twice by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
- won the $350,000 Level One X-Prize Lunar Lander Challenge

You think he's earned the right to comment?
post #168 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple doesn't get any good games because places like id Sofware, Value, Eidos and others are pushing the limits so hard it would be next to impossible to run these games on Apple hardware.

Most the time the CPU requirements are fine but Apple always falls very short on the GPU. Trying to play a game on an iMac 27" with an HD 4670 would be a joke. The game would be like watching a slide show. This is why our stuck with games like Quake 4.

amen.
post #169 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Intel Macs run Windows. Good thing you wasted your money on another computer. And your friends are not too bright either.


And you are not too bright about gaming. It helps to know a little about the topic you are discussing so you can make an informed opinion. Just being able to run WIndows does not make a mac good at gaming.
post #170 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Oh, I don't know - maybe an amazing understanding of math and physics. how about the credit for inventing an entire genre of entertainment?

- inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame
- two Emmy Awards
- the only game designer ever honored twice by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
- won the $350,000 Level One X-Prize Lunar Lander Challenge

You think he's earned the right to comment?

He has the right to comment about game and software design, which are what all of those honors are about.

It doesn't make him a mind reader, or particularly able to intuit what Apple may or may not be "embarrassed" about.

In my book, an "amazing understanding of math and physics" describes someone like Richard Feynman.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #171 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He has the right to comment about game and software design, which are what all of those honors are about.

It doesn't make him a mind reader, or particularly able to intuit what Apple may or may not be "embarrassed" about.

In my book, an "amazing understanding of math and physics" describes someone like Richard Feynman.

He was talking about gaming and software design and how Apple views them. He has some insight into that having dealt with apple off and on over the years. He knows a thing or 2 about how apple sees gaming fitting into their business. He was also just expressing his opinion.

Just because Feynman is a renowned physicist does not take anything away from how Carmack has applied those things to interactive art. I would stand by the "amazing understanding of math and physics" regardless of Feynman. You might as well throw Hawking and Einstein in there too - I wasn't comparing him to the icons of theoretical physics or anything.

I'm not starting a fan club or anything, I'm just saying give the man his due, and the other guys comment about 15 minutes of fame is just silly.

:-)
post #172 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He has the right to comment about game and software design, which are what all of those honors are about.

It doesn't make him a mind reader, or particularly able to intuit what Apple may or may not be "embarrassed" about.

In my book, an "amazing understanding of math and physics" describes someone like Richard Feynman.

Agreed.

Sorry, but Carmack isn't going to wow any respectable Mechanical Engineer, Physicist, Applied & Pure Mathematician on his skills.

His strength was using quasi-physics and discrete mathematics which computers are designed for to get as much efficiency as possible out of the hardware limitations of it's time.

Game engines are incorporating more and more actual physics laws into their engines as CPUs/GPGPUs are capable of handling actual non-linear dynamics.

Carmack was a visible voice when OpenGL was waning in use for the gaming industry. After the actual game hardware companies re-embraced and moved forward the standards, including new advances, he ceased to be such a visible figure.

I'm more impressed with Game Physics Simulation software like Bullet than I am with Carmack's engines.

Anyone who is serious about Science should have Feynman's Lectures in hardbound.
post #173 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well he's certainly a far cry from being right. I honestly don't know what to make of Carmack's statements. He's either clairvoyant, or he's just guessing, or someone told him something. Pick your poison.

Carmack has dealt with Apple quite a bit over the years. He has some insight into this. At least enough to form and share an educated opinion about what he's observed. Previous posters have said he's not a guy that runs his mouth without knowing what he's talking about.
post #174 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Carmack has dealt with Apple quite a bit over the years. He has some insight into this. At least enough to form and share an educated opinion about what he's observed. Previous posters have said he's not a guy that runs his mouth without knowing what he's talking about.

I know I remarked on this and yeah it's probably true Apple wanted in to the enterprise segment. Shoot. I worked for an IT department that dealt mostly with high end macs, NBC, trailer houses, but we also did servers for PCs. But how dies a company like apple that's eating away at play station with a forcasted target price for share to be over $250, be embarressed???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Doom game creator suggests Apple embarrassed about iPhone gaming