or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases syncing fix for Apple TV 3.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases syncing fix for Apple TV 3.0

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
An update for Apple TV was released Saturday which fixes problems with content disappearing from the system until re-syncing.

Apple suggests that users who have updated to the 3.0 version should immediately update to version 3.0.1 in order to prevent content from temporarily disappearing until re-syncing.

The Apple TV should be restarted and updated through the "update software" option under the Settings > General menu. If this does not resolve the issue, it is recommended that the Apple TV be disconnected and reconnected to the computer that it is networked with.

A final option if the above actions do not fix the issue is to perform a factory restore, update to 3.0.1, then re-sync.

Apple TV was updated Thursday to version 3.0 which added an entirely redesigned main menu, support for iTunes extras and LP, streaming Internet radio, and Genius Mixes. This was the first major update for Apple TV since early in 2008.

post #2 of 68
I didn't have any issues at all on 3.0, so not too sure under what circumstances they'd appear.

I like the 3.0 interface, but my ATV is now really laggy, I think the hardware is struggling with the new OS. Perhaps this indicates a newer more powerful ATV in the near future?

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #3 of 68
iPhoto photos still don't show up for me. I guess I'm going to have to reset the link to the server.
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I didn't have any issues at all on 3.0, so not too sure under what circumstances they'd appear.

I like the 3.0 interface, but my ATV is now really laggy, I think the hardware is struggling with the new OS. Perhaps this indicates a newer more powerful ATV in the near future?

Whatever newer hardware will come out it will be introduced with the subscription services spoken of in the AI forums. The subscriptions would compete with cable providers and take the Apple TV from a hobby to a full blown business.
post #5 of 68
Hahah...it's totally unlike apple to cock up a major firmware release
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I didn't have any issues at all on 3.0, so not too sure under what circumstances they'd appear.

I like the 3.0 interface, but my ATV is now really laggy, I think the hardware is struggling with the new OS. Perhaps this indicates a newer more powerful ATV in the near future?

Id try going to factory settings and then a reinstall. Mine was faster than before.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Whatever newer hardware will come out it will be introduced with the subscription services spoken of in the AI forums. The subscriptions would compete with cable providers and take the Apple TV from a hobby to a full blown business.

I can't wait for that but it probably will come to xbox 720 before it comes to Apple TV unfortunately.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Hahah...it's totally unlike apple to cock up a major firmware release

It doesn't seem to affect everyone and the fix was pretty quick, which is the most important thing.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Whatever newer hardware will come out it will be introduced with the subscription services spoken of in the AI forums. The subscriptions would compete with cable providers and take the Apple TV from a hobby to a full blown business.

Agreed 
we are missing one or 2 pieces of the  world domination puzzle

my stupid dream is as follows

I say a larger 9x6  ipod-touch with full mac os grazing rights wiil be the  tablet >> including a new app store for all larger devices i.e. MB 

A scaled down 9/1/2 in MB white as the net book

And of course a
NANO PHONE called NANEITE that runs off the ipod touch style SW with MVNO SW and  as the GATEKEEPER CARRiER w/free SKYPE calls will be included across the lime up cept for iphone.

APPLE will then introduce the new ATV and the ATV mini SERVER
A 1TB scalable with FIVE/SEVEN INTERFACE's < movie/tv/music /photos /internet/games/2 app-store's/3 sep itunes stores/apple store >>

THIS APPLE TV will then tie all the blind together as one . Window users can even buy the TV and sync all their mini  devices to it . LEAVING out the mac's of course until the windows users are ready to switch ,except they already switched over with out knowing it. finally steve can sink that knife in bills back

THE  server farms will power>store and safeguard apple against carrier induced bottle necks.

Ad-mist all this steve will do a<< one more thing >> and
Say . APPLE CO WILL KNOW sell HD TV SETS with a build in mini's of course

go apple

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #10 of 68
One day too late, AFTER I had to resync my 140 GBs of content...

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

One day too late, AFTER I had to resync my 140 GBs of content...

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?

Excellent question. Or if one were traveling for an extended period with the main computer that is synced to it, and the family wanted to use it?

This is shoddy software upgrading on Apple's part.

You could tell they were panicked because I received an email in three different accounts of mine from Apple alerting me to update (which has never happened before). When I turned on @TV, sure enough, all the music had disappeared (fortunately, I had transferred only 10GB worth of music on to my @TV since it has 40GB capacity). Photos were unaffected.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post


Agreed 
we are missing one or 2 pieces of the  world domination puzzle

my stupid dream is as follows

Say no more....

peace out from the 'hood wannabe.
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

One day too late, AFTER I had to resync my 140 GBs of content...

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?

Same exact situation here. I actually went to watch something the other night after my iMac was asleep and there wasn't any data on the atv. Embarrassing that a glitch like that could actually get out. This is solid proof that their quality control is not very good. And it's not because it's a 'hobby', anything they sell to a consumer cannot be considered a hobby, especially if they keep updating it and making money renting stuff via that device.
post #14 of 68
More lipstick on the pig.

Interent TVs are selling like mad, You get a choice of Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster rentals- directly- wirelessly. Not just Samsung rentals or Sony rentals but real rentals from all of the big 3.
Not just itunes. AppleTv is done. Please pull the fork out- NOW.
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Whatever newer hardware will come out it will be introduced with the subscription services spoken of in the AI forums. The subscriptions would compete with cable providers and take the Apple TV from a hobby to a full blown business.

You do know that most things on AppleInsider are not true. Nothing will compete with cable and satellite because subscription services will not offer local programming or sports.
post #16 of 68
Can they do the same with the iPhone now please? Since the last firmware update the iPhone has had the 'no content' bug too... (check the official Apple support forum for lots of people complaining about this)
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

More lipstick on the pig.

Interent TVs are selling like mad, You get a choice of Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster rentals- directly- wirelessly. Not just Samsung rentals or Sony rentals but real rentals from all of the big 3.
Not just itunes. AppleTv is done. Please pull the fork out- NOW.

What is an "Interent TV"? The streaming services suck. At least Amazon OnDemand through TiVo is downloaded for viewing. NetFlix streaming is lousy quality and it stops every 5-10 minutes to catch up, even on a 10Mb cable modem...because of many varieties of network traffic that can interrupt the stream. I also think the AppleTV is a useless box. Since people already have Cable or Satellite, why are they buying video content for the AppleTV when they are already paying for it through their provider?
post #18 of 68
I think the content disappeared from the AppleTV because it was embarrassed to be on an AppleTV.
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You do know that most things on AppleInsider are not true. Nothing will compete with cable and satellite because subscription services will not offer local programming or sports.

Satellite TV, which is obviously a non-locally broadcast offers local broadcasting and sports so there's no reason why the internet couldn't.

But I can't see it happening simply because the old school cable and satellite networks wouldn't let it. They will protect their business to the end. Look at the mess Sony are facing with the PSP Go for a good example of an old school business (bricks and mortar game retailers in this case) fighting to prevent a new model (downloads) from taking off.
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Hahah...it's totally unlike apple to cock up a major firmware release

HaHaHa...it's totally unlike the average geek-wimp to whine about a major firmware release.
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

HaHaHa...it's totally unlike the average geek-wimp to whine about a major firmware release.

Well...it really is if you arn't a geek-wimp. A geek-wimp who isnt a geek-wimp whining about a major fw release???
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Hahah...it's totally unlike apple to cock up a major firmware release

software, not firmware.
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

One day too late, AFTER I had to resync my 140 GBs of content...

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?

Whine, whine, whine.

The AppleTV is a syncing device, it has no content of it's own and the only way you'd ever lose any content is to use it in an un-prescribed fashion as you appear to be doing. You hacks your devices, you takes your chances.

At the very least, it's *your* responsibility to back up content if you are eschewing the use of the built in services of the product itself.
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

... Embarrassing that a glitch like that could actually get out. This is solid proof that their quality control is not very good. ...

Actually the presence of a single error is *not* "solid proof that their quality isn't any good." I mean think about what you just wrote for a second. It's absolute nonsense.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Can they do the same with the iPhone now please? Since the last firmware update the iPhone has had the 'no content' bug too... (check the official Apple support forum for lots of people complaining about this)

This is actually a fairly rare and completely unrelated bug though. There is no connection between the two, and so no rational reason to expect the fix for one to be the fix for the other. The AppleTV bug is far more serious and affects everyone. The iPhone bug is more of a rare annoyance.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Whine, whine, whine.

The AppleTV is a syncing device, it has no content of it's own and the only way you'd ever lose any content is to use it in an un-prescribed fashion as you appear to be doing. You hacks your devices, you takes your chances.

At the very least, it's *your* responsibility to back up content if you are eschewing the use of the built in services of the product itself.

Not only is your AppleTV not working for you, take a little ridicule with that. I guess that is classic adding insult to injury.
post #27 of 68
Apple seems to be adding this new disappearing data stuff into their devices, is this a new premium feature ive missed?
post #28 of 68
I paid attention to the email a bit too late. My content got wiped but update and 100GB resync went smooth. What's this about a reinstall that made things faster? I use my iPhone to control and haven't noticed a slowdown.

Edit: Jeez, people whine about everything. Is this the first software release ending in a .0 that's had issues? If you can't manage the risk wait for a .1 version.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Whine, whine, whine.

The AppleTV is a syncing device, it has no content of it's own and the only way you'd ever lose any content is to use it in an un-prescribed fashion as you appear to be doing. You hacks your devices, you takes your chances.

At the very least, it's *your* responsibility to back up content if you are eschewing the use of the built in services of the product itself.

If this vital piece of information had somehow miraculously passed by you before making such a statement, let me enlighten you:

One of the major selling points of the Apple TV Take 2 was that NO COMPUTER IS REQUIRED. Lucky for me I sync mine to a computer and as such I have not lost any content, and I have certainly not hacked my device (a conclusion you pulled out of I-don't-know-where).

However, for the people who acquire content directly from the iTunes Store on the Apple TV without ever connecting to a computer, they are far worse off should all their content have disappeared - which was my original point, something you would know had you actually read my post.
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The AppleTV is a syncing device, it has no content of it's own and the only way you'd ever lose any content is to use it in an un-prescribed fashion as you appear to be doing. You hacks your devices, you takes your chances.

I realize you are trying to be funny, but you really should stick to commenting on things you know something about. Asserting/assuming 'facts' such as 'AppleTV is a syncing device with no content of its own,' 'using in un-prescribed fashion,' and 'hacking' make no sense.

No one is whining. People are, however, most certainly suggesting that Apple could have waited a couple of more weeks to roll this out, instead of imposing a major annoyance on its users. It is not as though there was some publicly announced deadline that the company was attempting to meet (as with, say, SL).
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

If this vital piece of information had somehow miraculously passed by you before making such a statement, let me enlighten you..... my original point, something you would know had you actually read my post.

You're way too polite. Welcome.
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since people already have Cable or Satellite, why are they buying video content for the AppleTV when they are already paying for it through their provider?

In NYC, I have Time Warner, and the video on demand choices are limited. The Apple TV has a much larger selection, and the list is growing. Plus I can rip my daughter's DVDs and put them on the Apple TV so she doesn't destroy them, as kids tend to do. Also, automatically syncing my music to the Apple TV means I can play my entire music collection through my stereo, controlled through the remote app on my iPhone or iPod Touch. It's about the ecosystem, if you buy into it.
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Actually the presence of a single error is *not* "solid proof that their quality isn't any good." I mean think about what you just wrote for a second. It's absolute nonsense.

No, actually for a device who's 'sole' purpose is to accept data, store it on the drive, and then play it back, it's sole mechanism (as far as syncing goes) was broken. That's a horrible lack of testing and definitely points to a lack of QA.
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

More lipstick on the pig.

Interent TVs are selling like mad, You get a choice of Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster rentals- directly- wirelessly. Not just Samsung rentals or Sony rentals but real rentals from all of the big 3.
Not just itunes. AppleTv is done. Please pull the fork out- NOW.

Back to your usual stupidity I see. How long till you're banned again.
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

No, actually for a device who's 'sole' purpose is to accept data, store it on the drive, and then play it back, it's sole mechanism (as far as syncing goes) was broken. That's a horrible lack of testing and definitely points to a lack of QA.

You're all wrong. It is that, but that's masking the fact that sripped down it's basically an iTunes DIGITAL JuKEBOX who's sole purpose is to get you to spend more and more money in iTune$ - be that music , video rentasl or purchases. Apple should charge only $50 for it as its use is VERY limited. It's a vending machine!!!!
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Back to your usual stupidity I see. How long till you're banned again.

What's you're problem? Did you get burnt on an AppleTV too?
You post drivel like that yet I'm stupid???
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

No, actually for a device who's 'sole' purpose is to accept data, store it on the drive, and then play it back, it's sole mechanism (as far as syncing goes) was broken. That's a horrible lack of testing and definitely points to a lack of QA.

It's a single failure. The first in multiple updates over several years. No data is lost, and they jumped right on it and issued a fix almost immediately after discovery.

To translate that into ... "proof that their QA is bad" is just hyperbole.
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I realize you are trying to be funny, but you really should stick to commenting on things you know something about. Asserting/assuming 'facts' such as 'AppleTV is a syncing device with no content of its own,' 'using in un-prescribed fashion,' and 'hacking' make no sense.

No one is whining. People are, however, most certainly suggesting that Apple could have waited a couple of more weeks to roll this out, instead of imposing a major annoyance on its users. It is not as though there was some publicly announced deadline that the company was attempting to meet (as with, say, SL).

I may have used some terms that were more colloquial, but the fact remains that this is a bug that does not result in any data loss at all. If you had data on the AppleTV that wasn't synced you are very much "not doing it right" (or using it in an unprescribed fashion as I said in a more mangled way earlier).

Your mistake, yet you blame Apple.
To me that's "whining."
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's a single failure. The first in multiple updates over several years. No data is lost, and they jumped right on it and issued a fix almost immediately after discovery.

To translate that into ... "proof that their QA is bad" is just hyperbole.

You mean the AppleTV is a TOTAL Failure - a 3 year old "hobby" which only Apple fanbois are buying. AppleTV's technology is old and stale. HDTVs and Blu-ray players have basically all of its wireless features and then some built into them now. A sad failure for Apple due to their iTunes greed.
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

I... One of the major selling points of the Apple TV Take 2 was that NO COMPUTER IS REQUIRED. Lucky for me I sync mine to a computer and as such I have not lost any content, and I have certainly not hacked my device (a conclusion you pulled out of I-don't-know-where)....

I did read the post, and the "hacking" comment was related to my assumption that if you had un-synced content then you must be using Boxee or Hulu or one of the other hacks. If you want to be fair you have to admit that this is the most likely conclusion anyone could come to.

You are right in that I forgot about the fact that it can be used without a computer though. An oversight on my part for sure. That must be a very small category of people however, one even you yourself admit you are not a part of. This bug probably would bite hardest then, for the low end "mom and pop" user that doesn't have a computer.

It's still not going to result in data loss though, because all the content in that case would be bought from the Apple store and could be re-downloaded without a problem. The very few users in that situation might not know that though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases syncing fix for Apple TV 3.0