or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon continues assault on AT&T with series of holiday ads

Verizon continues assault on AT&T with series of holiday ads

post #1 of 144
Verizon has released three ads which continue to highlight the disparity between its 3G network coverage and AT&T's.

The ads, titled "Naughty Nice," Misfit Toys," and "Blue Christmas" prominently feature the coverage maps first introduced in the "There's a Map for That" commercial. These maps were a point of contention between Verizon and AT&T, causing AT&T to bring a lawsuit against Verizon for misrepresenting AT&T's 3G coverage areas.

The lawsuit claimed that the ads mislead consumers into believing that AT&T's customers have no coverage whatsoever and cannot use their devices when they are outside of the AT&T 3G coverage area.

The three ads all contain the coverage maps and have Christmas themes.

In the ads, it is clear Verizon has tried to separate their criticism of AT&T from the iPhone itself, going so far as to call the phone "A great 3G phone without great 3G coverage." This may be an indication that the rumors of Verizon offering the iPhone sometime in 2010 have some truth behind them.

It was reported Friday by AppleInsider that supply chain sources claim Apple has plans to produce a hybrid iPhone that would work on both the AT&T and Verizon networks.
post #2 of 144
The first one is funny!

the next two not so much.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #3 of 144
The "Misfit Toys" one is pure genius. That being said, I know everyone loves to crap on AT&T's service, but I have no complaints here in the Raleigh, NC area.
post #4 of 144
AT&T deserves to be attacked for their poor service.

Santa, if you're listening, all I want for Christmas is a Verizon iPhone. Oh, and a 27 inch Quad core iMac would be nice too! Ho ho ho.
post #5 of 144
Lame. They could have got a real iPhone.

But it's par for the course. Everyone seems to be going at Apple, and as the old saying goes, as long as they spell your name right, it's free advertising......
post #6 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Lame. They could have got a real iPhone.

But it's par for the course. Everyone seems to be going at Apple, and as the old saying goes, as long as they spell your name right, it's free advertising......

Did you look at these commercials or was that just the typical "defensive Apple fanboy" response?

Not one of those commercials attacked the iPhone or Apple -- all three went after AT&T's service, and the first one even was favorable to the features of the iPhone.
post #7 of 144
Lets hope Verison is just poising itself for its 'announcement' of it iPhone deal for summer 2010. Just as many iPhone 3G customers contracts begin to end!
post #8 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Did you look at these commercials or was that just the typical "defensive Apple fanboy" response?

Not one of those commercials attacked the iPhone or Apple -- all three went after AT&T's service, and the first one even was favorable to the features of the iPhone.

You think they'd have any interest in going after ATT's 3G coverage if it were not for the iPhone envy? Did you even bother to look at the three videos? (Hint: The "i" in the iDon't ads.....)

Also, grow up a bit, and expand your vocabulary and your ability to express ideas: the use of 'fanboy' is symptomatic of such a stunted little mind.
post #9 of 144
I'm wondering if "assault" is the correct word? Since ATT/Apple have been steadily stealing Verizon's customers, I see this advertising campaign as pure self-defense. Verizon is the one who has been assaulted and they're fighting back as best they can.
post #10 of 144
Three commercials from Verizon or millions of highly satisfied iPhone customers?
post #11 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I'm wondering if "assault" is the correct word? Since ATT/Apple have been steadily stealing Verizon's customers, I see this advertising campaign as pure self-defense. Verizon is the one who has been assaulted and they're fighting back as best they can.

Yup. When your only counter is "The Network" your quite vulnerable. There is no perfect network, and if a vendor has coverage where I am that is adequate, then the whole "The Network" argument becomes largely irrelevant. Again, I contend I don't think we will see the iPhone on Verizon any time soon. Why does Apple need to do it? AT&T's upgrades are going well in San Francisco - if they can turn it around - seriously, what's the point?
post #12 of 144
I think the commercials were good but it looks like 500x times more 3G coverage and not 5x from the maps.

I am kinda shocked that AT&T's coverage area isn't better than what it is. I am 3 miles off the interstate down a main state highway between two large cities and I am on the cusp of getting no service at all.

I would like a Verizon iPhone so I can switch back and get back my coverage area at some point. I just made the decision to go with the phone. I carry a prepaid VZW phone in my car just in case.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #13 of 144
Verizon neglects to tell the full story:
  1. AT&Ts 3G is faster
  2. Where AT&T does not have 3G, their EDGE (2.75G) covers. EDGE is 100% fully equiveilent to 3G except it is slower.
  3. Verizon's CDMA 3G is only compatable here in the US. Good luck going outside the US.
  4. Verizon nickel and dimes....and now they are charging a $350 Termination Fee. Better be sure that you like that Droid.
  5. Verizon's CDMA 3G does not support concurrent voice and data access. AT&Ts does.

However, AT&T better get on the move. I know that they are rolling out even faster 3G service (7.2MB and then 14MB). This will far exceed's Verizon's speed (< 3MB).
post #14 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

1. AT&Ts 3G is faster
  2. Where AT&T does not have 3G, their EDGE (2.75G) covers. EDGE is 100% fully equiveilent to 3G except it is slower.
  3. Verizon's CDMA 3G does not support concurrent voice and data access. AT&Ts does.

I think it was you who said this in another thread. Either you are ignorant of the fact that Edge does not provide concurrent data and voice or you are purposely lying about that. Edge is not "equivalent to 3G except slower" - it's slower and has the same weakness that you fault CDMA for right below.
post #15 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Who do you believe?

Three commercials from Verizon or millions of highly satisfied iPhone customers?

I believe my many friends who have an iPhone, love it's features and ease of use, but hate how painful it is to make and receive phone calls on ATT's network. Simultaneous voice and data isn't so great if the voice part of it sucks so badly.

Still, they make the choice to stick with ATT because the phone makes up for the poor network. On the whole, yes they are satisfied; but it's in spite of the network, not because of it.
post #16 of 144
Misfit toys is a great commercial, kinda goes along with a mac one a few years back, where they animated Mac and PC guys. The other two ads kidna sucks if you ask me. Anywho, I only use Touch, since I am on Tmobile, and it does not look like a TPhone is going to be out any time soon. And no I can't afford an unsubsidized iPhone.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #17 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I believe my many friends who have an iPhone, love it's features and ease of use, but hate how painful it is to make and receive phone calls on ATT's network. Simultaneous voice and data isn't so great if the voice part of it sucks so badly.

Reliability depends on location (just as it does for Verizon) and whether the iPhone is jailbroken, supermultitasking, etc. Since you're posting here, I would guess your friends have a higher likelihood than average of having jailbroken iPhones etc.
post #18 of 144
Quote:

Indeed. I saw the Misfit toys commercial, and the first thing I thought was, "Gee, that iPhone home screen looks great", (as elephant comments on iPhone can download apps and surf the web)
And then those phones at the end look all cluttered and (I don't know...) non-iconic.
I thought; "man, way to promo the iPhone, Verizon".
post #19 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Indeed. I saw the Misfit toys commercial, and the first thing I thought was, "Gee, that iPhone home screen looks great", (as elephant comments on iPhone can download apps and surf the web)
And then those phones at the end look all cluttered and (I don't know...) non-iconic.
I thought; "man, way to promo the iPhone, Verizon".

Exactly!! They were careful enough to give props to Apple while at the same time bashing AT&T to bits.

These are different from the Droid commercials IIRC, those were actually Motorola's doing. I could be wrong, however.
post #20 of 144
Verizon can't directly attack the iPhone too much since sometime next year they'll be selling it. They can attack the network. That only goes so far, we don't even have 3G in my small town, but I'm not about to get rid of my iPhone, even for the new Droid, which my wife just bought (she has to stay with verizon because her relatives all with verizon).
post #21 of 144
Looks like for AT&T, practically the whole country is a deadzone. I'm surprised I haven't been hearing more about how in most of the country you get zero bars with AT&T.
post #22 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think it was you who said this in another thread. Either you are ignorant of the fact that Edge does not provide concurrent data and voice or you are purposely lying about that. Edge is not "equivalent to 3G except slower" - it's slower and has the same weakness that you fault CDMA for right below.

I'll refer to this book/article....and the millions of original iPhone owners.

http://www.althosbooks.com/intogpanded.html#Description
post #23 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You are right, he said it in another post. When did EDGE go from 2.5G to 2.75G anyway?
Also, noexpectations, you obviously don't own an iPhone. If you did, you wouldn't tout EDGE as anything but crap. It is completely useless for data, regardless of the fact that you can't use the data features while on a call. Go back to your other forums and spread that nonsense.
post #24 of 144
My iPhone works fine in Washington DC, Richmond, Baltimore, Philly, and the highways between. Pretty much full bars everywhere too. In fact they recently got service running in Washington DC's subway train stations. So I'm perfectly happy with AT&T's service.
IF Reading_Comprehension_Skills = "On" THEN Please_Respond ELSE Take_Nap
IF Reading_Comprehension_Skills = "On" THEN Please_Respond ELSE Take_Nap
post #25 of 144
Attack ads against Apple and its partners don't work. Especially from some generic carrier that showcases lousy products in those very ads. Duh!
post #26 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Attack ads against Apple don't work. Especially from some generic carrier.

This wasn't an Apple attack ad. Hell, the title of the article even makes that clear...
post #27 of 144
Quote:

This wasn't an Apple attack ad. Hell, the title of the article even makes that clear...

Except for the iPhone in the ad.

Any attack on AT&T is an attack on the iPhone. Verizon is taking a swipe at the Apple/AT&T partnership. This isn't just about AT&T.
post #28 of 144
Quote:

Any attack on AT&T is an attack on the iPhone.

The iPhone which they praised in the ad? And believe it or not, the iPhone is not AT&T's only phone.
post #29 of 144
Quote:

Any attack on AT&T is an attack on the iPhone. Verizon is taking a swipe at the Apple/AT&T partnership. This isn't just about AT&T.

It hurts my eyes and brain when you post. Like a migraine.
post #30 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Reliability depends on location (just as it does for Verizon) and whether the iPhone is jailbroken, supermultitasking, etc. Since you're posting here, I would guess your friends have a higher likelihood than average of having jailbroken iPhones etc.

You're being overly apologetic for ATT. There's no denying that Verizon has better overall coverage, and in doing so you are only making your own argument weaker. Yes, the iPhone is great and ATT's network is not the worst thing in the world. But calls do drop quite often and many iPhone users are on ATT only because they have to be.

And yes, I have an iPhone 3GS, in Washington DC, and I drop about, oh, 5 calls a day. Predictable where I'll drop them, which is even sadder. I spend my day driving the major roads of the DC area to and from client sites, not back roads, not out in some tiny city, but right in one of the strongest areas in the country for service. Still, pretty sad. If I can get a Verizon iPhone next year, I will. I've been on ATT in its various forms for 10 years now.
post #31 of 144
Quote:

The iPhone which they praised in the ad? And believe it or not, the iPhone is not AT&T's only phone.

Which is only available on AT&T, and which Verizon is calssifying as a Misfit Toy. Why are you arguing this?? Do you not understand the ad? LOL, It's so obvious what is going on here.

They’re hitting the iPhone on the one factor that Apple can't control.

The iPhone is the only phone that truly matters to AT&T.
post #32 of 144
Quote:

Verizon is taking a swipe at the Apple/AT&T partnership. This isn't just about AT&T.

I think that you are reading the ads wrong. These ads are in no way an attack on Apple or the iPhone -- they are direct assault on AT&T.

The commercials are basically saying that the iPhone is a great phone hampered by a sh*tty network. They then in a nutshell say, "AT&T's network is such a clusterf*** for data, so why not come on over to our better network and try out some of our phones."
post #33 of 144
Quote:

I'll refer to this book/article....and the millions of original iPhone owners.

http://www.althosbooks.com/intogpanded.html#Description

Your handle should be noclue, not noexpectations.

I use my iPhone 3GS (which I bought 9 months after my 3G, which was 12 months after my 2G) every day. If my phone is on Edge and I'm making a call, no internet function works. Period. You clearly don't have an iPhone or a clue.

Edit: technohermit beat me to it
post #34 of 144
Quote:

1. AT&Ts 3G is faster
  3. Verizon's CDMA 3G is only compatable here in the US. Good luck going outside the US.
  4. Verizon nickel and dimes....and now they are charging a $350 Termination Fee. Better be sure that you like that Droid.
  5. Verizon's CDMA 3G does not support concurrent voice and data access. AT&Ts does.

However, AT&T better get on the move. I know that they are rolling out even faster 3G service (7.2MB and then 14MB). This will far exceed's Verizon's speed (< 3MB).

1) Multiple articles prove otherwise:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...3g.speed.test/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/16739...ife_of_3g.html
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/3g-speed-test/

2) EDGE doesn't allow data at the same time as a phone call. Therefore, EDGE != slower 3G
3) A large majority of people do not travel outside of the US.
4) The $350 termination fee is to prevent people who buy a phone and sign a contract, then pay the ETF and sell the phone on eBay and profiting off of Verizon's dime. What company do you expect to lay on it's back and let you do that?
5) The only worthwhile point in your list.

And as for transfer speeds, theoretical speeds != real world speeds, which is why talk of 7.2Mbps and 14Mbps networks are complete BS until carriers upgrade their wireless backhauls to even think of supporting that kind of traffic. Or in other words, a car designed to go 200mph isn't that great when the speed limit of most roads is 60mph.
post #35 of 144
Coverage in the SF Bay Area is just fine. I have never had a problem the whole time I've been with Cingular/AT&T. If and when the iPhone goes to Verizon, I say bring it on. The more whiners that jump to that network and drag down Verizon's quality, the better AT&T's service gets. Personally I can't wait.
post #36 of 144
'3) A large majority of people do not travel outside of the US'

That's just f***ing sad.
post #37 of 144
While I am not an expert on coverage areas, I believe these iPhone ads will cause AT&T to speed up their coverage rollouts, possibly get a Verizon/Apple iPhone deal next year, and cause Steve to want to improve the iPhone feature set/functions even more...
post #38 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You think they'd have any interest in going after ATT's 3G coverage if it were not for the iPhone envy? Did you even bother to look at the three videos? (Hint: The "i" in the iDon't ads.....)

Also, grow up a bit, and expand your vocabulary and your ability to express ideas: the use of 'fanboy' is symptomatic of such a stunted little mind.

Mmmmm, I seem to recall you using the words "troll", "trolling" "resident troll" etc, etc.etc as if they are so grown up? And "stunted little mind" might just be a personal attack?
post #39 of 144
i dont see why verizon has to keep using the iPhone in their anti-at&t commercials. if they wanna get on Apple's good side in order to get the iPhone next year, why dont they use some of at&t's other smart phones so that they can still show at&t having a lesser network, but not involving the iPhone in that negativity
post #40 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersmartphoneuser View Post

'3) A large majority of people do not travel outside of the US'

That's just f***ing sad.

Well it's one of our economy's major breadwinners - isn't it?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon continues assault on AT&T with series of holiday ads