or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models

Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models - Page 4

post #121 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmac View Post

for what it's worth I ordered mine on Nov 3rd. Order status shows "Ships in November". When I called the customer service number, I was told that the most likely shipping date is between Nov 28-30. Very annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

I also ordered my i7, and no shipping yet... I'm wondering if the extended wait could be because of both production processes and higher than expected demand... Judging only from the number of people on this forum I'd say they must have quite the back log.
Wonder how many i5+i7 they'll sell for Christmas... damn

Customer service informs me that both your quad cores are special built to spec per order. So your apple machine will ship very soon. You can visit applesupportchecklateshippments.com for your fed-x airway bill number/

I would consider while the slow hours pass by go out and buy 10 great block buster movies to watch on your new machines . Or some games like HALO or COD .

Remember each order is stand alone and is built and checked one by one to meet your high standards .

congrads from all of us at apple world CA 
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #122 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

I also ordered my i7, and no shipping yet... I'm wondering if the extended wait could be because of both production processes and higher than expected demand... Judging only from the number of people on this forum I'd say they must have quite the back log.
Wonder how many i5+i7 they'll sell for Xmas... damn

Has anyone actually seen a real shipping date other than 'Ships in November'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

They have an XP compatibility window now. It seems strange that they would even need that, as it's just an older version of the same basic system. Win 7 isn't completely backwards compatible. This is why there is such a major headache upgrading from XP to 7. You need a $50 program from a third party to fix that. Why MS couldn't (or wouldn't) do it is odd, as most people upgrading to 7 will be doing so from XP. I guess MS is trying to force them to buy new hardware.

Windows 7 offers MS VirtualPC and an XP virtual machine as a free download for those that need it. I suspect it will be used more by the corporate world than the home user. Especially for old IE6 applications.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #123 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

I ordered my i7 iMac within an hour of its release and it is not shipping. If you notice the screenshot of the shipment notice, the iMac that has NOT shipped is an i7.

Hopefully it will be soon...

Just notified that my i7 is on a FedEx flight out of Shanghai on Nov 11th. Expected delivery Nov 16th.
post #124 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Just notified that my i7 is on a FedEx flight out of Shanghai on Nov 11th. Expected delivery Nov 16th.

congrats! /me jealous

I just talked to apple store because they had trouble processing my credit card for the i7 iMac. While on the phone, I said that they must be trying to ship my iMac right? The nice gentleman said that he saw a date of Nov 21 for my unit. He didn't know if that was a ship date or a delivery date...

I ordered on Nov 1st by the way.
post #125 of 223
I also received notice that my i7 is due by 11/17. Brilliant!
post #126 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricu View Post

When did you order? I think everyone is curious about order date VS ship date at this point.
post #127 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricu View Post

Awesome - I ordered my i7 on November 8th, still no other information than "Estimated shipping: November" - I hope they clear their backlog fast!
post #128 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajp View Post

Awesome - I ordered my i7 on November 8th, still no other information than "Estimated shipping: November" - I hope they clear their backlog fast!

Same here

I ordered mine Oct 28th.
post #129 of 223
New to MAC since February 09 - MBP 15" -

Ordered i7 Oct 21 PM, received shipping confirmation 1 hour ago.
FedEx picked it up:
Nov 12, 2009 9:46 AM Left FedEx origin facility SHANGHAI CN
Nov 12, 2009 9:34 AM Picked up SHANGHAI CN

ETA Nov 18.
HJK
HJK
post #130 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearK9 View Post

New to MAC since February 09 - MBP 15" -

Ordered i7 Oct 21 PM, received shipping confirmation 1 hour ago.
FedEx picked it up:
Nov 12, 2009 9:46 AM Left FedEx origin facility SHANGHAI CN
Nov 12, 2009 9:34 AM Picked up SHANGHAI CN

ETA Nov 18.

I just received my ship notification, so they are at least up to Oct 28th orders give or take.
post #131 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I just received my ship notification, so they are at least up to Oct 28th orders give or take.

Wow, that's good news! (I ordered Nov 1)... looks like they're catching up quickly... tho my order status page still says "November".

Thanks for posting your status everyone!

I'm still sort of undecided tho -- I've always just used migration manager to create my new mac - letting it just clone everything. I'm wondering if I shouldn't start fresh this time... My current iMac seems real sluggish at times. But I hate the thought of losing all of my prefs and settings and password history in safari etc. Is there an easier way to transfer stuff to a new clean machine?

I'm adding 4gb memory to the new machine to total 8 (currently I have 4gb).
post #132 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetMitch View Post

Wow, that's good news! (I ordered Nov 1)... looks like they're catching up quickly... tho my order status page still says "November".

Thanks for posting your status everyone!

I'm still sort of undecided tho -- I've always just used migration manager to create my new mac - letting it just clone everything. I'm wondering if I shouldn't start fresh this time... My current iMac seems real sluggish at times. But I hate the thought of losing all of my prefs and settings and password history in safari etc. Is there an easier way to transfer stuff to a new clean machine?

I'm adding 4gb memory to the new machine to total 8 (currently I have 4gb).

I always start fresh. I back up my source application files, and my user data only. I install fresh from my source disks/dmg's and then just put back any necessary data (usually involves only the Address Book, and my Bookmarks. I use IMAP for mail so my I don't have to save any local mail as it's all on a net server).

Assuming your passwords are stored in your keychain, this is the file folder you need to backup and restore:

~/Library/Keychains

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2980#abc

Keychains are located in your ~/Library/Keychains/ folder. To get to this file in the Finder, choose Home from the Go menu. Open the Library folder, then open the Keychains folder.

Tip: Before you back up your keychains, use Keychain First Aid to repair any issues.

To back up: Make copies of your keychain files in a different location by Option-dragging each file to a desired location. Do not remove the originals. You can also use the Finder to create an archive as described in the Safari Bookmarks section, above.

To restore:
In the Finder, from the Go menu, choose Utilities.
Open Keychain Access.
From the Edit menu, choose Keychain List. A dialog appears, listing all keychain files.
Deselect the keychains that you wish to restore, then click OK.
Quit Keychain Access.
Move your keychain back up files back to ~/Library/Keychains/.
Open Keychain Access again.
From the Edit menu, choose Keychain List.
Select the keychains that you wish to use, then click OK.
post #133 of 223
Quote:

Windows 7 offers MS VirtualPC and an XP virtual machine as a free download for those that need it. I suspect it will be used more by the corporate world than the home user. Especially for old IE6 applications.

And according to reports, neither works too well.

Other problems with it include the fact that if you have n XP machine from around the time when Vista first came out, it probably won't be able to run hardware virtualization at all, so you need to buy a new machine for this feature to work.

Then, not all editions of Win 7 will run the mode. Only Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise will work. This means that many machines bought by "normal" people won't be able to run this.

Advice in using this, which is only meant for corporate use with network wide virus and malware detection, is to turn off your browser or any other out of local network capabilities because of computer corruption from malware.

It's not designed to be set up by the casual user.
post #134 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And according to reports, neither works too well.

Other problems with it include the fact that if you have n XP machine from around the time when Vista first came out, it probably won't be able to run hardware virtualization at all, so you need to buy a new machine for this feature to work.

Then, not all editions of Win 7 will run the mode. Only Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise will work. This means that many machines bought by "normal" people won't be able to run this.

Advice in using this, which is only meant for corporate use with network wide virus and malware detection, is to turn off your browser or any other out of local network capabilities because of computer corruption from malware.

It's not designed to be set up by the casual user.

Not true at all. Older hardware can run virtualization software, although it may not be optimized to do so if it lacks the Intel VT technology. That doesn't mean they can't run VM software, but rather they take a little performance hit. Most corporate environments used 32 bit XP, meaning they can run it without issue on older processors.

It's also highly unlikely a corporate environment would be running a home edition

Most home users would never need this technology. About the only real 'need' I can see for it would be IE6 implementations, as those were very much tied to the browser version. I can't think of any common home software that doesn't either work with Vista/Windows 7, or hasn't been updated to do so.

Advice in using ANY windows virtual machine is to treat the VM just as you would a real machine. You run virus scan/malware protection in the VM just as you would a real machine.

As to whether or not it runs well, that I can't speak for other than my own experience with it. Typically a VM runs just as a real piece of hardware does (albeit slower).

I have no idea where you got the 'not designed to be set up by the casual user'. I can only guess you've never used it? It's free, you should give it a try if you have W7 Professional or better. It's basic VM software. If you just accept the defaults, your fine. I didn't find it overly complicated.[/quote]

OOPS!

Sorry, somehow I edited your post with my reply instead of posting my own. Just redid it.
post #135 of 223
Quote:

Not true at all. Older hardware can run virtualization software, although it may not be optimized to do so if it lacks the Intel VT technology. That doesn't mean they can't run VM software, but rather they take a little performance hit. Most corporate environments used 32 bit XP, meaning they can run it without issue on older processors.

It's also highly unlikely a corporate environment would be running a home edition

Most home users would never need this technology. About the only real 'need' I can see for it would be IE6 implementations, as those were very much tied to the browser version. I can't think of any common home software that doesn't either work with Vista/Windows 7, or hasn't been updated to do so.

Advice in using ANY windows virtual machine is to treat the VM just as you would a real machine. You run virus scan/malware protection in the VM just as you would a real machine.

As to whether or not it runs well, that I can't speak for other than my own experience with it. Typically a VM runs just as a real piece of hardware does (albeit slower).

I have no idea where you got the 'not designed to be set up by the casual user'. I can only guess you've never used it? It's free, you should give it a try if you have W7 Professional or better. It's basic VM software. If you just accept the defaults, your fine. I didn't find it overly complicated.

Sorry, but you're wrong.. The new virtualization software depends on chips that are designed for it. If you have a machine without those newer chips this software just doesn't work properly, which means, not reliably, which means not.

How many people buying their upgrade to 7 are corporate? Most PC's bought the last few years have been bought by consumers. Many of those machines have XP. Many are three, four, or more years old.

MS is again artificially limiting this to the more expensive editions.

Are you the average user?

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/146829

There are a lot of article about this. This is just one of the first I found. It says about what I said.

Why don't you find one that says the opposite?
post #136 of 223
Quote:

Sorry, but you're wrong.. The new virtualization software depends on chips that are designed for it. If you have a machine without those newer chips this software just doesn't work properly, which means, not reliably, which means not.

How many people buying their upgrade to 7 are corporate? Most PC's bought the last few years have been bought by consumers. Many of those machines have XP. Many are three, four, or more years old.

MS is again artificially limiting this to the more expensive editions.

Are you the average user?

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/146829

There are a lot of article about this. This is just one of the first I found. It says about what I said.

Why don't you find one that says the opposite?

Proof that it doesn't work reliably?

As to who will need it, I doubt seriously a typical home user would need or want it.
post #137 of 223
Quote:

Proof that it doesn't work reliably?

As to who will need it, I doubt seriously a typical home user would need or want it.

So users with many XP programs that upgrade to 7 won't want, or need any of them?

I take it that you speak for the tens of millions out there?
post #138 of 223
Quote:

So users with many XP programs that upgrade to 7 won't want, or need any of them?

I take it that you speak for the tens of millions out there?

Now your just being purposely dense. Of course they will need them and chances are they will work just fine without any need for virtualization at all. I've been using Windows 7 for a year and haven't had to use it for any applications.

Did I say I speak for the millions out there? You seem to be.
post #139 of 223
Quote:

Now your just being purposely dense. Of course they will need them and chances are they will work just fine without any need for virtualization at all. I've been using Windows 7 for a year and haven't had to use it for any applications.

Did I say I speak for the millions out there? You seem to be.

I'm not the one being dense here. I'm just going by your illogical arguments.

You seem to be giving up everything you've said without giving up you thinking you've "won" the argument. Now you're leaving it to say that no new Win 7 user coming from XP will ever need any of the older programs they have as though that eliminates all the problems that are there.

That's another step back for you, along with all the others you've made here.
post #140 of 223
Quote:

I'm not the one being dense here. I'm just going by your illogical arguments.

You seem to be giving up everything you've said without giving up you thinking you've "won" the argument. Now you're leaving it to say that no new Win 7 user coming from XP will ever need any of the older programs they have as though that eliminates all the problems that are there.

That's another step back for you, along with all the others you've made here.

Quote exactly where I said any such thing. Your arguments are vague and unchecked. I never stated a user wouldn't need any software when moving to Windows 7. I said they most likely wouldn't need virtualization software to begin with.

Kindly go back and re-read the thread.
post #141 of 223
Quote:

Quote exactly where I said any such thing. Your arguments are vague and unchecked. I never stated a user wouldn't need any software when moving to Windows 7. I said they most likely wouldn't need virtualization software to begin with.

Kindly go back and re-read the thread.

I know exactly what you said. Just check your last post.
post #142 of 223
gentlemen, would you please take this offline? This discussion doesn't really apply to the iMac delivery dates does it?
post #143 of 223
Me and my friend ordered out 27inch 2.8ghz core i7 imac with 8gb ram ati hd4870 gfx card and 1tb hard disk with apple remote. we ordered it at the exact same time sitting side by side.

He is getting his tomorrow, whereas mine still says november!

and yes, u read it right, i am talking of the core I7 not I5..... CTO....

we ordered it on nov 2nd.

I have also ordered another one on nov 9th, and ofcourse that too says november...

(I do agree with the post above mine, please lets talk only of delivery dates)

It would be good if all of you just posted your order date and shipped date.....and ofcourse the config of the imac u ordered.
post #144 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkedian View Post

Me and my friend ordered out 27inch 2.8ghz core i7 imac with 8gb ram ati hd4870 gfx card and 1tb hard disk with apple remote. we ordered it at the exact same time sitting side by side.

I have also ordered another one on nov 9th, and ofcourse that too says november...

It would be good if all of you just posted your order date and shipped date.....and ofcourse the config of the imac u ordered.

Thats maybe the first delivery of an i7 that I've seen (tomorrow) will be interested to hear any reports!

again, I ordered on Nov 1 and still haven't gotten a shipping notice and my date on the store still says November. I ordered the i7 - 4gb (bought another 4gb thru another cheaper service) and a 1tb drive - oh and I ordered the wired extended keyboard. Don't like the small one.
post #145 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkedian View Post

Since you ordered it on my birthday, you should have gotten special treatment.
post #146 of 223
Quote:

Thats maybe the first delivery of an i7 that I've seen (tomorrow) will be interested to hear any reports!

again, I ordered on Nov 1 and still haven't gotten a shipping notice and my date on the store still says November. I ordered the i7 - 4gb (bought another 4gb thru another cheaper service) and a 1tb drive - oh and I ordered the wired extended keyboard. Don't like the small one.

I received my i7 earlier today.
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/183285
post #147 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

Congrats! While checking your benchmarks (thanks for posting them!) I also noticed that someone just uploaded 64-bit benchmark data also: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/183410
post #148 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

Hey Nicroma, when did you order yours?
And do u see any differences in experience due to the i7?
post #149 of 223
wow, some good numbers there! Thanks for sharing

they've posted some numbers here on AI as well in their new review.... the i7 numbers you reported are significantly higher than the core duo numbers they got for the 27"

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...09.html&page=2
post #150 of 223
Quote:

they've posted some numbers here on AI as well in their new review.... the i7 numbers you reported are significantly higher than the core duo numbers they got for the 27"

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...09.html&page=2

Of course they are higher.
post #151 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Of course they are higher.

interesting! Thanks for posting tho it really makes me want my i7 NOW
post #152 of 223
Quote:

Now, we're reading that Win 7 might be the last major Windows upgrade, and that they have learned their lesson. From now on, the thinking goes, they will copy Apple's formula of making smaller upgrades, and more of them. We'll see.

That's definitely the way to go from an engineering perspective, they just have to convince the business people to swallow it. Good luck to them.
post #153 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

In real-life benefits, what does the quad give you that the C2D 3.06 does not?

Ultrafast modern architecture.
Multi-threading for multiple tasks
4 very fast cores for when programs start taking full advantage of grand Central dispatch

Speed should be pretty similar to the quad core Mac Pros and they absolutely demolish the 3.06ghz core 2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But they are glossy only.

Its not that that bad honestly. My iMac has a list of fatal flaws a mile long, but problems with reflection is not among them. The only time I really notice is when its off.
post #154 of 223
From FedEx

Nov 13, 2009 7:42 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
CHICAGO, IL

--

Hitting f5 won't make it show up any faster, nor will it end my work day any quicker.
post #155 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's definitely the way to go from an engineering perspective, they just have to convince the business people to swallow it. Good luck to them.

I just can't imagine how they would charge for it. Apple can get away with charging $129 list for one and $199 list for five, but it's not Apple's main business in the sense of sales and profits, though it gives a nice bump when it first comes out.

According to what MS just did with 7, according to Ballmer saying that it's 'Vista done right", MS shouldn't have charged full price, but rather the same $29 Apple has with 10.6.

But if they did, it would have cost them possibly $7 billion in sales, and $5 billion in profits. Their business model isn't set up for that.

So if they come out with smaller upgrades every 18 months to two years, how will they price it? As it is, we get besieged by PC people who bother us about that two year upgrade cycle, forgetting that MS never intended to go 5 years between OS's.

In addition, Apple just did a major overhaul to the OS. MS clearly needs to do the same, but can they?
post #156 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:

I just can't imagine how they would charge for it. Apple can get away with charging $129 list for one and $199 list for five, but it's not Apple's main business in the sense of sales and profits, though it gives a nice bump when it first comes out.

According to what MS just did with 7, according to Ballmer saying that it's 'Vista done right", MS shouldn't have charged full price, but rather the same $29 Apple has with 10.6.

But if they did, it would have cost them possibly $7 billion in sales, and $5 billion in profits. Their business model isn't set up for that.

So if they come out with smaller upgrades every 18 months to two years, how will they price it? As it is, we get besieged by PC people who bother us about that two year upgrade cycle, forgetting that MS never intended to go 5 years between OS's.

In addition, Apple just did a major overhaul to the OS. MS clearly needs to do the same, but can they?

Ah, the marvels of monopoly.
post #157 of 223
I ordered my i7 iMac on Monday (9 Nov), and it shipped this morning. Really happy with how quickly things were dealt with, and can't wait for my order to arrive

Stu
post #158 of 223
I ordered my i7 4850 on the 6th and it still hasn't shipped.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #159 of 223
Shipment Information

Shipment Date:
Nov 14, 2009

Delivers by:
Nov 19, 2009

I ordered mine on Nov 1 - so it appears they're all over the place on shipments but maybe it still has something to do with the configuration.

I ordered the i7 with 4gb ram, 1tb and the odd thing is I went with the wired extended keyboard.
post #160 of 223
The website has changed the availability from "November" to ships in 7 to 10 days for the i5 and i7. The i5 is available for immediate purchase at my local Apple retail store as of today. They tell me that the i7 will not be stocked and must be ordered on line.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models