or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models

Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models - Page 6

post #201 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

Thanks! Since I've had really good luck with all the cables (for AirTunes) I've already bought at the Apple Store, will just buy the 400 -> 800 cable there. Yeah I'm like a rat at the lever, pushing for the fix, checking n refreshing my shipping page, making a nice home for the new i7, like preparing a nursery. Sure will lavish enough attention on the thing

The screen is unlike anything I have seen. Very wide and very sharp. The processors sound like mini explosions going off. Very cool sound. And best of all, I can't wait to purchase more ram just because I can stuff it full.

I am going to purchase a 2 TB SATA 3.5" hdd to put in my OWC enclosure so I can run FW 800 and free up a USB port and have faster back ups.

Also, purchasing Star Trek in HD was a good move to show off the screen. Flat awesome. I would buy one of these for my television if I could use a DirectTv box with it.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #202 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

How do you deal with glare? Did you put the anti-glare stickers?

i never noticed the glare until you guys brought it up 8 million times
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #203 of 223
Does anyone know if the new imacs support dual monitors... that is, can you attach a second monitor to expand your desktop the way you can with the mac pros (not in mirror mode)?
post #204 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa View Post

Does anyone know if the new imacs support dual monitors... that is, can you attach a second monitor to expand your desktop the way you can with the mac pros (not in mirror mode)?

My 2008 iMac does it, so I wonder why the late 2009 wouldn't.
post #205 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa View Post

From http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html:

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display"
post #206 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajp View Post

From http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html:

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display"

So a 23" Cinema Display would work with the proper cable?
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #207 of 223
I received my i7 this morning, ordered 11/11/09, shipped 11/19/09, received 11/23/09. Have it set up but haven't turned it on yet.

I ordered a 400-->800 firewire cable from Monoprice that was supposed to have shipped 11/16 but I still haven't received it. I had hoped to start by using Setup Assistant to transfer everything from my old TiBook. I guess I'll have to use Migration Assistant later.
post #208 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I received my i7 this morning, ordered 11/11/09, shipped 11/19/09, received 11/23/09. Have it set up but haven't turned it on yet.

I ordered a 400-->800 firewire cable from Monoprice that was supposed to have shipped 11/16 but I still haven't received it. I had hoped to start by using Setup Assistant to transfer everything from my old TiBook. I guess I'll have to use Migration Assistant later.

Is that your only option? What about using Time Machine?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #209 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that your only option? What about using Time Machine?

No Time Machine backup.

As the old saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

I remembered I had an old LaCie 400/800 FW external drive that no longer spins up but the firewire connectors worked fine. I ran an FW 800 cable from the drive to the iMac and a 400 cable to the TiBook and was home free. Setup Assistant took about 1:05 to transfer maybe 62GB of material. Everything came across fine except that the iTunes application was corrupted somehow. Downloading a new copy fixed that.
post #210 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

In theory.
post #211 of 223
Shipped! Yippeeee! Today Nov 25. Earlier than Dec 1. Says can expect delivery Monday.

Now I'm praying FedEx handles oh so gently. Want a perfect iMac i7.
post #212 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

And we're thinking the proper cable would be one with a Mini DisplayPort connection?
post #213 of 223
Today I received my new 27" i7 iMac, ordered on November 8th, and shipped to Helsinki, Finland. It works great and looks great.
post #214 of 223
iMac i7 arrived yesterday FedEx, everything great!
post #215 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

iMac i7 arrived yesterday FedEx, everything great!

How fast compared to Core 2 2008 ?
post #216 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

How fast compared to Core 2 2008 ?

A great deal faster.
post #217 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

A great deal faster.

With CS4 too ?
post #218 of 223
I am giving a 27-inch imac to my kids for Christmas, and have the remote from my old G5 iMac.

Does anyone know if I'll need to get a new remote or can use the old one with this new iMac?
post #219 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsota View Post

Does anyone know if I'll need to get a new remote or can use the old one with this new iMac?

The white remote works, too. The new one is just metal with an extra button.
post #220 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The white remote works, too. The new one is just metal with an extra button.

do you happen to know what is the function of the extra button?
post #221 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsota View Post

do you happen to know what is the function of the extra button?

It just moves the Play/Pause out of the center but the center button is still a button, which I think still acts the same way. Regardless, its not necessary to buy.

post #222 of 223
finally, some good news for my wallet!

Thanks
post #223 of 223
Yes, my iMac 27" with i7 processor and 8GB RAM has shipped today.

Unfortunately, I had to call them to cancel the order as I used another 27" iMac today.

It already shipped so they sent me an RMA (already processed).

The high-gloss screen is too much of a problem.

boo-hoo

very sad Mac Fanboy
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models