or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models

Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models - Page 2

post #41 of 223
Those of you who straight up bought one of these right after it was released, you have TOO much money. Can I have some?
post #42 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

How do you deal with glare? Did you put the anti-glare stickers?

Of course not, just look at his post

Originally Posted by brucep:

Quote:
i have own ed 3 of these imac's
my latest one is two long yrs old
some how i wish my wife by mistake would knock it over

so I would be forced to get the new imac quad 27

unibody heaven

He's missed letters, hit the space bar, missed the shift key, no periods etc., etc.

See what glare and reflections get you, poor eyesight!
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #43 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We have two 24" machines here at home, and glare isn't a problem.

Minor adjustments in the angle of the machines is enough to put that problem to rest.

And 100% brightness
post #44 of 223
yippee - can't wait! (ok, I can wait, but I'm excited) been scouring the news sites twice a day to see if they were shipping yet. Tho I didn't order until Nov 1, so I'll probably have to wait quite a bit longer than those who bought the first day.

I'm curious to see how the new back lit display holds up - I have the 24" iMac from 2007 - and I use it 10-12 hours a day and I'm noticing some banding where I figure the bulbs are on my screen... looks just a little discolored in places. Hoping the new screens don't do that.
post #45 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavex View Post

Those of you who straight up bought one of these right after it was released, you have TOO much money. Can I have some?

The first thing you need to do is get rid of your credit card. The first thing I did after college was to pay off and cancel all my CC. I have been living debt free for the last 9 years. However, I still can't afford the new iMac (not on my priorities list and my unibody MBP is fine)
post #46 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does your home face North?

The sides of my house face several directions. Which direction the computer faces might be relevant if you knew where the windows were located and in which hemisphere the home was located.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #47 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The first thing you need to do is get rid of your credit card. The first thing I did after college was to pay off and cancel all my CC. I have been living debt free for the last 9 years. However, I still can't afford the new iMac (not on my priorities list and my unibody MBP is fine)

Do you want to know my secret to financial stability? Make more money than you spend.I know it sounds tricky, but it actually works.

That reminds me of this MadTV skit…

Eat Less, Move More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The sides of my house face several directions. Which direction the computer faces might be relevant if you knew where the windows were located and in which hemisphere the home was located.

HAHA He’s not going to understand your clear logic and rationale. He won’t understand if you are in the Northern hemisphere that the sun will be to the South at all time, assuming you are above the Tropic of Cancer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #48 of 223
Quote:

Funny. not to be rude, but I don't remember asking you. I believed I asked melgross who lives in NY in the northern hemisphere.
post #49 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA

Gazing at yourself again?
post #50 of 223
What's that hanging on your closet door?
post #51 of 223
Quote:

Funny. not to be rude, but I don't remember asking you. I believed I asked melgross who lives in NY in the northern hemisphere.

Sorry I just thought it was an odd question. Pardon me. I forgot, homes only face in one direction in NYC.

post #52 of 223
Quote:

Sorry I just thought it was an odd question. Pardon me. I forgot, homes only face in one direction in NYC.

They could face one direction if you owned an apartment or a row house.
I suppose it would be considered odd if one lives in a barn. \
post #53 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

He's missed letters, hit the space bar, missed the shift key, no periods etc., etc.

Now that's messed up! Leave brucep alone- he just got up.
post #54 of 223
Quote:

No, he lives in the North, NYC.

Plenty of tall building and cloud cover to block the sun.

You see in Florida, we got a lot of sunshine. We leave the windows unblocked to let all that glorious sun inside and even paint our walls light and bright to reflect that wonderful sunlight into our lives.

We just don't like it reflected into our eyes when we are trying to read the computer screen.

But, to be honest. It's the whole g-dam computer industry led by the cheap ass LCD industry that's going glossy (except Leveno and specialty monitor makers) because shiny sells. Like a high gloss wax on a car. (who pays top dollar for a new car with a dull paint job right?)

So if glossy/reflections/glare is a issue, get a anti-glare film and apply, another $30 to the price tag.

It's a shame, Apple should offer to apply the film in store. Would make everyone happy!

Hello Apple?
post #55 of 223
Quote:

Do you want to know my secret to financial stability? Make more money than you spend.I know it sounds tricky, but it actually works.

That reminds me of this MadTV skit
Eat Less, Move More

post #56 of 223
Quote:

You see in Florida, we got a lot of sunshine. We leave the windows unblocked to let all that glorious sun inside and even paint our walls light and bright to reflect that wonderful sunlight into our lives.

We just don't like it reflected into our eyes when we are trying to read the computer screen.

But, to be honest. It's the whole g-dam computer industry led by the cheap ass LCD industry that's going glossy (except Leveno and specialty monitor makers) because shiny sells. Like a high gloss wax on a car. (who pays top dollar for a new car with a dull paint job right?)

So if glossy/reflections/glare is a issue, get a anti-glare film and apply, another $30 to the price tag.

It's a shame, Apple should offer to apply the film in store. Would make everyone happy!

Hello Apple?

Hey- if they can build it from the getgo with out appliques for the 15 and 17" MBPs , they can certainly do it with the iMac. They just are always throwing you a bone. They need a reason to get their 10% premium market share to buy over and over again.
post #57 of 223
Quote:

Donald Trump recommends one live on less than 50% of their income and invest the rest.

Life is certainly easier when (even part of) your income is coming from your money working for you, instead of you for it.
post #58 of 223
Quote:

Hey- if they can build it from the getgo with out appliques for the 15 and 17" MBPs , they can certainly do it with the iMac. They just are always throwing you a bone. They need a reason to get their 10% premium market share to buy over and over again.

The 15" and 17" matte film is applied at the LCD factory and they are phasing it out for so called "anti-reflective" (glossy screens) because it's cheaper/easier to spray the anti-reflective coating than applying a anti-glare film. Because it costs Apple extra to use the matte LCD now.

The new iMac's LCD is actually glossy, not a glossy glass over the matte LCD in the older iMac models.

Yours truly is responsible for getting the 15" matte back, it upset me so much that I got in touch with the big guy personally.

But I now realize Apple is held hostage by the rest of the industry, plus Apple is making plenty of money off of shiny.

Of course they would make even more money if they had both available equally.
post #59 of 223
Quote:

They could face one direction if you owned an apartment or a row house.
I suppose it would be considered odd if one lives in a barn. \

Ouch!

I think it is hilarious how Google scans the content of these pages and offers up appropriate ads. This is at the bottom (localized for me of course)

Southern Calif. Awnings
Full Range Of Retractable Awnings, Custom Made. Call For Free Estimate
www.AccentAwnings.com

I should probably get one for my barn

post #60 of 223
Quote:

Ouch!

I think it is hilarious how Google scans the content of these pages and offers up appropriate ads. This is at the bottom (localized for me of course)

Southern Calif. Awnings
Full Range Of Retractable Awnings, Custom Made. Call For Free Estimate
www.AccentAwnings.com

I should probably get one for my barn

That's hysterical. All we get in NY are ads for six pack abs and whiter teeth and Droids (NY loves Verizon).
post #61 of 223
Quote:

Parts of it. There are such things as curtains, and window shades, and blinds, and drapes.
post #62 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And 100% brightness

Not at all. All of our machines are profiled.
post #63 of 223
Quote:

Hello Apple?

That's just kind of crazy.

I live in a single family home with enough ground around it so that it isn't blocked from the sun except for the big tree in the front yard.

You're nuts to keep your computer where the sun shines in on it. No matter what, that's wrong, and you get far more glare with a matte screen that way than I would get with a glossy, in a decently, though not excessively, set up room, which is what we have.
post #64 of 223
Quote:

I will wait til Spring, once it gets what it needs.

The i5/i7 27" iMac has altered my thinking. I plan to buy one next year after the Rev 1 glitches are addressed and the specs are upgraded.
I'll connect my Dell 2407 to the i7 iMac and untether my '06 MBP C2D.
post #65 of 223
Quote:

Seriously, You matte people are like a religious cult! You pop up in every thread. This thread is about the quad cores shipping and yet, like so many others you've high-jacked, has degraded to pointless banter about your obvious agenda. Give it a rest! Or at least stay on topic!
post #66 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The i5/i7 27" iMac has altered my thinking. I plan to buy one next year after the Rev 1 glitches are addressed and the specs are upgraded.

It’s a good thing your waiting. I’ve read more than few comments about the DP in not working with video cards from machines that have DP out. Apple would be remiss to have this feature only with with their machines with DP. I’d wager it’s not their intention, but a technical issue, hopefully resolved with a driver update.
post #67 of 223
Quote:

It might be worthwhile to note that even though we are getting 4 cores in the new iMac's, some way and some how it will be hobbled so the performance will be only slightly greater than the duo cores instead of the assumed 2x rate with 2x the amount of cores...

Apple or Intel might be hobbling the first issue of quad cores and then later on issuing newer versions with ever faster speeds by reducing the hobbling.

Giving a consumer a unrestricted quad core is a lot of performance punch, there's got to be a trick somewhere in there.

How much time do you spend thinking about these fantasy scenarios? "It might be worthwhile to note..." - the only thing to note is you are speculating from somewhere in your mind. Please don't state things like they are facts when they are your fabrications.
post #68 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

How much time do you spend thinking about these fantasy scenarios? "It might be worthwhile to note..." - the only thing to note is you are speculating from somewhere in your mind. Please don't state things like they are facts when they are your fabrications.

He's on something for sure. Look at his screen name. It's a cry for help.
post #69 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

For example look at what Microsoft has been doing with GUI. They have replaced text-only menus with a system where clicking a menu title changes out the Toolbar.

Not for me, thanks. It sounds like the Office Ribbon interface, which I can't stand. I'm on Office 2004, and will never upgrade to that interface. Tools changing places is just unacceptable to me. Anytime Microsoft tries to guess what I want to do, they guess wrong.
post #70 of 223
Quote:

Not at all. All of our machines are profiled.

It's amazing to me how some people just adamantly refuse to believe that, yes, indeed, some people who actually own glossy-screened Macs could possibly not mind them. At all. Or even like them, as I do.

With my MBP, if there's a window near me, I sure as hell don't have my back turned to it. Yes, because there would be glare. But also because there's a freakin' VIEW out the window!
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #71 of 223
Quote:

That's just kind of crazy.

I live in a single family home with enough ground around it so that it isn't blocked from the sun except for the big tree in the front yard.

I know, I'm just busting your chops.

Quote:

You're nuts to keep your computer where the sun shines in on it. No matter what, that's wrong, and you get far more glare with a matte screen that way than I would get with a glossy, in a decently, though not excessively, set up room, which is what we have.

The sunlight is everywhere in Florida most times (and any other bright state), it's like if you turned up the brightness level or something. It reflects off of everything and onto the glassy screen and thus into your eyes.

So it's not just the main glare from the sun itself, which I agree would wash out even a matte screen, it's the reflected light off the walls, the furniture, the floor and so on onto the glossy screen that makes it such a issue. So the "just tilt to eliminate the glare" is only good if the glare comes from one source, but in bright areas the glare is coming from multiple sources and multiple intensities.

Sure I could paint the walls black, use black lights and use heavy drapes to cover the windows, but that's depressing and that would be the only place to use my computer, in this case a laptop.

I'm glad the big man brought back the matte 15" back, he has vision problems too, so he understands.

The solution would be to have a in house film application option. It would save educational and government sales in England and Australia for one.
post #72 of 223
Quote:

Parts of it. There are such things as curtains, and window shades, and blinds, and drapes.

You can always move into a cave in Afghanistan - no more shiny screen.

Seriously, if I work at my computer for 10 hours a day, I would really like to be in a room with a good dose of natural light coming in. I also do research in books (light required) while I'm on the computer. (And I wear light-colored shirts sometimes(!)).

I can ignore the reflections up to a point, but it doesn't take very long before I feel eyestrain. On the other hand, on my iMac G5 20" (nice display), I can work for many hours without feeling any eyestrain at all.
post #73 of 223
Quote:

The sunlight is everywhere in Florida most times (and any other bright state), it's like if you turned up the brightness level or something. It reflects off of everything and onto the glassy screen and thus into your eyes.

So it's not just the main glare from the sun itself, which I agree would wash out even a matte screen, it's the reflected light off the walls, the furniture, the floor and so on onto the glossy screen that makes it such a issue. So the "just tilt to eliminate the glare" is only good if the glare comes from one source, but in bright areas the glare is coming from multiple sources and multiple intensities.

Sure I could paint the walls black, use black lights and use heavy drapes to cover the windows, but that's depressing and that would be the only place to use my computer, in this case a laptop.

I'm glad the big man brought back the matte 15" back, he has vision problems too, so he understands.

The solution would be to have a in house film application option. It would save educational and government sales in England and Australia for one.

Dim the sun with a window covering when you use the computer. I don't see what the problem is with this. No matter how high you set the brightness and contrast on your display, you're going to get a washed out image, more so with a matte screen than with a glossy one. All the high quality graphics monitor manufacturers sell, or include a monitor shield for this purpose, though they do say to use the monitor in a room with subdued light, with no light reflecting onto the screen. This is for matte monitors. It's the same for glossy models.

I spend enough time in Florida to know how much light you get, and how easy it is to subdue it. It's no excuse.

I just don't understand you guys.
post #74 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I'll take pictures and chat with my new HDiSight camera.
post #75 of 223
I'm waiting for somebody to try hooking up a PS3 or dedicated Blu-ray player to the video INPUT of one of these. I'm guessing the display will show a 1920*1080 image with big black bars on the top, bottom, and sides. Or perhaps the screen has image scaling built-in and will stretch the image full-screen 2560*1440? Do any Blu-ray drives upscale to 2560*1440 because I'm dam near positive the PS3 doesn't. Am I missing something?

I'd be strongly tempted to get one of these 27" iMacs if I can hook up a PS3 (scaled to 2560*1440) or at least a Blu-ray player (scaled to 2560*1440).
IF Reading_Comprehension_Skills = "On" THEN Please_Respond ELSE Take_Nap
IF Reading_Comprehension_Skills = "On" THEN Please_Respond ELSE Take_Nap
post #76 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You can always move into a cave in Afghanistan - no more shiny screen.

Seriously, if I work at my computer for 10 hours a day, I would really like to be in a room with a good dose of natural light coming in. I also do research in books (light required) while I'm on the computer. (And I wear light-colored shirts sometimes(!)).

I can ignore the reflections up to a point, but it doesn't take very long before I feel eyestrain. On the other hand, on my iMac G5 20" (nice display), I can work for many hours without feeling any eyestrain at all.

Every study shows that as with a Tv, light where a monitor is being used shouldn't be too much brighter than the screen itself, for, if anything, to prevent your pupils from constantly dilating and closing as you look towards and away. In the old days, the room was dark, because the monitors weren't bright enough. Today, the recommendation is for subdued lighting, with no light hitting the screen. I'm not making this up.
post #77 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocotequila View Post

Seriously, You matte people are like a religious cult! You pop up in every thread. This thread is about the quad cores shipping and yet, like so many others you've high-jacked, has degraded to pointless banter about your obvious agenda. Give it a rest! Or at least stay on topic!

The only thing I want to look at behind glass is my aquarium.
post #78 of 223
Quote:

The only thing I want to look at behind glass is my aquarium.

You have one?
post #79 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

It's amazing to me how some people just adamantly refuse to believe that, yes, indeed, some people who actually own glossy-screened Macs could possibly not mind them. At all. Or even like them, as I do.

With my MBP, if there's a window near me, I sure as hell don't have my back turned to it. Yes, because there would be glare. But also because there's a freakin' VIEW out the window!

I'm not giving anyone who likes glossy screens any grief. It's not like I'm campaigning to remove glossy in favor of matte.

There is no reason why Apple (and LCD makers) should make both or at least offer some kind of solution in house (like a film application or a attractive snap in piece?) that makes computers useful to those who do have a problem with glare and reflections.

Apple offers both glossy and matte 15/17" Mac Pro's right?

No problem there, but there is a problem with a whopping 27" glossy screen reflecting everything it can (as the larger you get in screen size the more it reflects)

It's a shame that people go into a Apple Store, see this nice 27" reflecting the lights overhead and decide to walk out without Apple or anyone knowing why.

Well I'm telling you why, it's you can't see what's on the screen and that makes using the computer a waste of effort. Especially since people in the store don't know there is a solution because Apple doesn't want to tell them or bother getting involved.

Now what Apple can do is have a sign near each computer for sale stating that a anti-glare film can be applied to computers at purchase and charge a reasonable fee.

Problem solved.
post #80 of 223
Quote:

You have one?

Yes I do - a proud owner of Discus. It actually sits adjacent to my iMac work station so I know what glare off a glass looks like.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models