or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix

post #1 of 144
Apple's second update for Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.2, was officially released Monday afternoon, fixing a number of issues including a guest account bug that could potentially delete a user's account data.

The guest account bug is triggered by logging in and out of a guest account on a Snow Leopard machine. Upon logging back in to their regular account, users will find that it has been wiped of all data.

When it was first publicized in October, Apple acknowledged the issue and said it was working on a fix.

The operating system upgrade also features native support for the new multi-touch Magic Mouse. Those on previous versions of Mac OS X required the Wireless Mouse Software update 1.0.

The 473MB download is available direct from Apple or via Software Update. Also released Monday afternoon: 10.6.2 combo update, Mac OS X Server 10.6.2, Server combo update, and Security Update 2009-006 Client.

The total list of included fixes, according to Apple, in Mac OS X 10.6.2 is:

General operating system fixes provided for:

an issue that caused data to be deleted when using a guest account
an issue that might cause your system to logout unexpectedly
Spotlight search results not showing Exchange contacts
the reliability of menu extras
an issue in Dictionary when using Hebrew as the primary language
shutter-click sound effect when taking a screenshot
an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture
an issue adding images to contacts in Address Book
an issue in Front Row that could cause sluggish or slow frame rates while watching videos
creation of mobile accounts for Active Directory users
reliability and duration of VPN connections
general reliability improvements for iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, MobileMe, and iDisk
overall improvements to VoiceOver performance
this update addresses video playback and performance issues for iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) and iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) computers that may occur in some situations while AirPort is turned on
Fonts fixes provided for:

an issue with font spacing
an issue in which some Fonts are missing
font duplication issues
an issue with some PostScript Type 1 fonts not working properly
Graphics fixes provided for:

an issue when connecting monitors to DVI and Mini DisplayPort adapters
an issue in which the brightness setting may not be remembered on restart
addresses functionality with specific display models
general reliability and performance improvements when using some applications
Mail fixes provided for:
a situation in which Mail's unread count may not update properly as messages are read on another computer
an issue in which deleted RSS feeds may return
an issue in which Mail cannot preview or Quick Look attachments when composing a new message
an issue that can cause Address Book and/or Mail to stop responding when opened
an issue in which email messages received from an Exchange Server are not formatted correctly
an issue in which Mail reports "Account exceeded bandwidth limits" for some Gmail accounts
MobileMe fixes provided for:

performance when accessing files from iDisk via the Finder and syncing iDisk files
an issue in which syncing iDisk files does not proceed beyond "checking items"
reliability and performance when syncing contacts, calendars, and bookmarks with MobileMe (syncing with iTunes and iSync are also improved)
an issue that prevents some users from logging into MobileMe via the MobileMe System Preference pane
Network file systems fixes provided for:

compatibility with third-party AFP servers
file synchronization for portable home directories
Printing and faxing fixes provided for:

automatic printer updates improvements
Print dialog allowing you to enter and send to more than one fax recipient
Safari fixes provided for:

a graphics distortion issue in Safari Top Sites
Safari plug-in reliability
post #2 of 144
Yay! :d
June 2009 Macbook Pro 13 Inch, Magic Mouse, iPod Touch, 8GB, 2nd Generation, 8GB iPod Nano 5th Generation.
June 2009 Macbook Pro 13 Inch, Magic Mouse, iPod Touch, 8GB, 2nd Generation, 8GB iPod Nano 5th Generation.
post #3 of 144
Finally it is there. Just before the update, my sl lost its time keeping, returned to 2008_1_1.
post #4 of 144
Excuse my ignorance....but is there a direct link for the update? Also interesting the number of fixes that are available in this update. Good stuff
post #5 of 144
it's in software update. what more do you want
post #6 of 144
I hope this is not an unending cycle of fix the OS, then fix the iTunes bug caused by the OS update, then fix the Iphone and the AppleTV caused by....... It's getting to be a pain.
post #7 of 144
Woot!
post #8 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I hope this is not an unending cycle of fix the OS, then fix the iTunes bug caused by the OS update, then fix the Iphone and the AppleTV caused by....... It's getting to be a pain.

WHAT??!!

And I thought after these fixes Snow Leopard is perfect.
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #9 of 144
Just updated on a mac mini (last gen) and macbook pro (october '08 model). Both installed just fine, and now feel "snappier". Go ahead and install folks. This one won't bite.
post #10 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

Excuse my ignorance....but is there a direct link for the update? Also interesting the number of fixes that are available in this update. Good stuff

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/snowleopard/

Btw, you're welcome!!
post #11 of 144
Seems snappier and VMWare is working much better. overall looks solid
post #12 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

This is it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959?viewlocale=en_US
post #13 of 144
Whoo. Quad core iMacs shipping and an update. One good day
post #14 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

I was hoping the two events were linked, but I didn't dare to hope they would occur in the same day. Yay!
post #15 of 144
It feels snappier!
post #16 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbridgwood View Post

it's in software update. what more do you want

lol offline installer is faster for me to download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/snowleopard/

Btw, you're welcome!!

Merci!!
post #17 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

CAN'T YOU STICK TO THE TOPIC BEFORE I GRAB YOU BY THE NECK!!!!

good night- see y'all later.
post #18 of 144
* Save as PDF Crashes the printing application
* Does anyone else see that nice *feature* ?
post #19 of 144
Is it a good time to jump into Snow Leopard with this update? Been holding off due to fonts/printing/Mail/MobileMe issues. Feedback from others with similar reservations appreciated.
post #20 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolingo View Post

This is not the case with my Macs. Ive tried in Safari, Mail and Preview. Reinstall the combo update from VisualZones link.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #21 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Is it a good time to jump into Snow Leopard with this update? Been holding off due to fonts/printing/Mail/MobileMe issues. Feedback from others with similar reservations appreciated.

if you don't do anything with any specific software then yes you can jump ship...

snow leopard is much snappier than leopard...just installed 10.6.2 and it's great
post #22 of 144
Quote:

That depends on exectly why you are waiting. Its possible that SL or a 3rd-party doesnt support something you need, yet it is supported in Leopard.If you can partition 10GB on your HDD or even on an external drive you can install and test it out before committing to it as your main OS. You can even have MobileMe sync all your preferences over to simplify the issue.
post #23 of 144
It's probably a sign of my childish and purile mind that I found this amusing:

an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture

Surely such an issue is a failing on the behalf of Charmin?
post #24 of 144
Quote:

It will probably take a week of watching to see what problems are still around.
post #25 of 144
So did they finally enable audio over MiniDisplayport to HDMI?!
post #26 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolingo View Post

that never happened to me and use that feature quite frequently
post #27 of 144
Safari feels snappier.
post #28 of 144
I just updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update, and now my sound-bar item is gray and there is no sound from OS X.
If I press the volume buttons nothing happens else than the dialog with the volume is gray and a "Forbidden symbol" in the bottom.

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro (4,1).

Anyone had any problems alike, and can help me troubleshoot?
post #29 of 144
post #30 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

This is it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959?viewlocale=en_US

Hmm should I get the straight update or the combo updater? (I'm on v10.6.1)

My instincts tell me the straight update but I vaguely remember seeing something about using the combo updater because it prevents permission issues?
post #31 of 144
Weird... QuickTime X now shows a Front Row-style progress bar when watching in Full Screen mode - that is, whenever you use the keyboard or remote controls (when you use the mouse, the normal controls appear). I'm not sure I like this, the big bar looks ugly and out of place there.
post #32 of 144
I'll download tonight after I do a TimeMachine backup. I'm glad this is out as the Mail stability fixes will be welcomed.
post #33 of 144
People, there are some very basic rules when doing updates….

1) Back up using TimeMachine or whatever backup program you use before doing any major update to your OS.

2) Verify your disk before installing update.

3) Install update. I prefer the Combo Update from the website over Software Updater, but it’s your choice.

4) If something in the OS that used to work no longer works then restart and see if that fixes it.

5) If not, then go grab the

Combo Update from the website and try it again. That should resolve most issues people have with point updates.
post #34 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

that never happened to me and use that feature quite frequently

Maybe it happens only on SL Server...
post #35 of 144
Looks like Mail.app has a new plugin API version, so Mail plugins (GrowlMail, etc.) are being disabled.
post #36 of 144
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1517041]Apple's second update for Snow Leopard

Installed, and it looks like the unexpected jerks in Zoom after a mouse click on my 24" iMac 7,1 with ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro card has been resolved.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #37 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People, there are some very basic rules when doing updates.

1) Back up using TimeMachine or whatever backup program you use before doing any major update to your OS.

2) Verify your disk before installing update.

3) Install update. I prefer the Combo Update from the website over Software Updater, but its your choice.

4) If something in the OS that used to work no longer works then restart and see if that fixes it.

5) If not, then go grab the

Combo Update from the website and try it again. That should resolve most issues people have with point updates.

I also find it very useful to repair permissions before and after update.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #38 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelleravn View Post

I just updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update, and now my sound-bar item is gray and there is no sound from OS X.
If I press the volume buttons nothing happens else than the dialog with the volume is gray and a "Forbidden symbol" in the bottom.

Same here. After the update...

NO SOUND!!! ZERO!!!

MUTE!!!

Volume is not gray for me it's just as it always is but there is no sound even if the volume is at its top.

Why? Oh why? What's your four-oh-four Apple?

(MacBook Pro 5,1 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3)

Solution: Go to System Preferences=>Sound=>Output and select "Internal speakers, Built-in Output". For some reasons the update switched it to "Soundflower (2ch)" which I really don't know what that is. However that's the reason why it was mute. Why did it switch? Who knows?!
post #39 of 144
File size is only 157.7 MB via Software Update on my iMac 24" early-2009 model.
post #40 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelleravn View Post

That's interesting because a friend just bought a Macbook, and he has the same problem with 10.6.1, which came with the machine.

Look in sound prefs to see if internal speakers are available. If so, select it. On my friends Macbook, all that's available for output is digital output. When I plugged headphones in, it switched to that, and it worked. But when I unplugged them, all that was available again was digital output.

You do have the startup sound and some others.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix