or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Intel Atom support officially missing from Mac OS X 10.6.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel Atom support officially missing from Mac OS X 10.6.2

post #1 of 101
Thread Starter 
Intel Atom support is confirmed to be missing in the final release of 10.6.2, citing multiple prominent Hackintosh sources.

Apple's latest update for Snow Leopard has broken support for Intel's Atom processor line. Mac OS X 10.6.2 was released Monday afternoon, and was Apple's second major update for Snow Leopard.

OSXDaily reported that various netbook and "hackintosh" forums are "blowing up with problems of 10.6.2 instant rebooting their Atom-based notebooks." Systems using the Atom processor will go into a startup-loop if the 10.6.2 update is installed.

Support for Atom fluctuated over the course of 10.6.2 development, and Apple was mum about the subject.

It is recommended that anyone using OS X on Atom-based systems should not install the update. Many believe that a community-generated fix will be developed soon. Prominent hackintosh blogger StellaRola commented, "Just an FYI, this is OSx86 after all and none of the scenes hackers really let down on support. The latest kernel may not be officially supported but that doesnt mean there wont be a modded kernel around the corner."

Intel's Atom processor is a low-cost, low-power chip intended for notebooks and ultra-mobile PCs. Although current Apple products do not sport the Atom chips, a dedicated community has formed around the practice of installing Snow Leopard on Atom netbooks.

The 10.6.2 update weighs in at 473MB and fixes a guest account bug which could have potentially deleted a user's account data. It can be accessed direct from Apple or via Software Update.
post #2 of 101
Apple haters in 3...2...1...

On a side note, the update was 200 some odd MB for me. Where do they get this 400MB number from?
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #3 of 101
It’s illogical to think Apple decided to drop support for Atom to dissuade the hackintosh community from building netbooks, which Apple doesn’t even compete with on any level. Nor is it logical to think Apple would purposely do this a couple of point releases in and at the start of a major release when new core foundations and features were added. The lost logical answer is that Apple simply found a way to streamline their code even more and it just happens to be at the expense of Atom-based Hackintoshes.

PS: I don’t think it will take the OSx86 Project long to add the new bug updates with old support for Atom.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 101
Can't wait for the hackintosh screed. This'll be good.
post #5 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

On a side note, the update was 200 some odd MB for me. Where do they get this 400MB number from?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL958
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 101
Mine was 157.7 hrm.
post #7 of 101
Leopard got a security update too and it works, on Mac's.

Wonder if it broke Leopard hackintoshes too?


Is Apple going down the Microsoft road of insecure/buggy OS in order to cause updates and breaking of hackintoshes?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #8 of 101
Anyone else finding the size of this update to be substantially less than the 400 MB? On all 4 of my Mac's, it's coming in at 200 MB or so.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #9 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its illogical to think Apple decided to drop support for Atom to dissuade the hackintosh community from building netbooks, which Apple doesnt even compete with on any level. Nor is it logical to think Apple would purposely do this a couple of point releases in and at the start of a major release when new core foundations and features were added. The lost logical answer is that Apple simply found a way to streamline their code even more and it just happens to be at the expense of Atom-based Hackintoshes.

PS: I dont think it will take the OSx86 Project long to add the new bug updates with old support for Atom.

I disagree - I think Apple cutoff support to cutoff the Netbooks. I don't blame them and applaud them for protecting what is theirs. How could they let this slide while Psystar is out there stealing from them and they are fighting it in court. The quicker the get rid of Psystar the faster they will be able to concentrate on the real paying customers (and before someone says it- no buying an OS that is supposed to be for an upgrade is not the same - just cause some don't agree EULA does not mean that was not Apple's intent in selling it with those conditions attached).
post #10 of 101
OS X has no reason to support the Intel Atom, any more than it needs to support the Intel 386.
post #11 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Anyone else finding the size of this update to be substantially less than the 400 MB? On all 4 of my Mac's, it's coming in at 200 MB or so.

Of course, the Software Updater is grabbing the package for your particular machine so its significantly smaller. It wont work for any other machine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I disagree - I think Apple cutoff support to cutoff the Netbooks. I don't blame them and applaud them for protecting what is theirs. How could they let this slide while Psystar is out there stealing from them and they are fighting it in court. The quicker the get rid of Psystar the faster they will be able to concentrate on the real paying customers (and before someone says it- no buying an OS that is supposed to be for an upgrade is not the same - just cause some don't agree EULA does not mean that was not Apple's intent in selling it with those conditions attached).

1) Cutting off netbooks does not cut off the Hackintosh community, which can use non-Atom Intel and AMD processors

2) Cutting off Atom support at 10.6.2 to supress the Hackintosh community makes no sense because there arent wanting by staying with 10.6.1.

3) If they were going cut off the Hackintosh community they would have done it at a major update and in a way that it makes it harder for all non-Mac HW to run Mac OS X.

Everything else is irrational.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I disagree - I think Apple cutoff support to cutoff the Netbooks. I don't blame them and applaud them for protecting what is theirs. How could they let this slide while Psystar is out there stealing from them and they are fighting it in court. The quicker the get rid of Psystar the faster they will be able to concentrate on the real paying customers (and before someone says it- no buying an OS that is supposed to be for an upgrade is not the same - just cause some don't agree EULA does not mean that was not Apple's intent in selling it with those conditions attached).

Apple is hardly wasting energy with Psystar. Its just another day of business dealing with them.

On a lesser note, I hope people at least get the facts straight. Its very doubtful that Apple purposefully disabled Atom support with the intent to stall OSx86 netbooks. If you read about the general fixes in the update, you'd notice that much of what's been updated has been in terms of graphics. Nearly all their extensions (kexts) have been updated to support 64-bit, and with the exception of the original Core Duo processor, Apple has no 32-bit chips in their computers.

Losing Atom support is merely a side-effect of the changes they made. In cleaning up the code for their current computers, they inadvertently broke others. And again, support is only "lost" until someone creates a custom kernel with Atom support built back in. In the meantime, Atom users can still upgrade as long as they revert back to the older kernel.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #13 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Anyone else finding the size of this update to be substantially less than the 400 MB? On all 4 of my Mac's, it's coming in at 200 MB or so.

Yep 157.7MB here. Can't work out what it depends on from reading around. Maybe those with the bigger size got the fix for stack nested sorting that I'm still waiting for; so annoying.

I'm not surprised re the Atom support but surely it would have been more sensible to drop it right at SL's launch? Not as if they had thought they might want to make machines with those processors and decided in the last two months not to, right?
post #14 of 101
the update erased my t v recordings on my eye tv by elgato
also all my scheduling
anyone have any help on how to get back my recordings ?
the memory seems to have stayed the same like it is not erased but hiding lol
help
post #15 of 101
My iMac was 157.7 MB and my Unibody MacBook Pro was 499 MB. Both were at 10.6.1 before.
post #16 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

the update erased my t v recordings on my eye tv by elgato
also all my scheduling
anyone have any help on how to get back my recordings ?
the memory seems to have stayed the same like it is not erased but hiding lol
help

drjjones, you'd be better off posting in the Apple Support forums. Honestly I can't figure out what your talking about.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #17 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its illogical to think Apple decided to drop support for Atom to dissuade the hackintosh community from building netbooks, which Apple doesnt even compete with on any level. Nor is it logical to think Apple would purposely do this a couple of point releases in and at the start of a major release when new core foundations and features were added.

I have to respectfully disagree as well. Your thought process makes some sense. However, the pattern of behavior with regards to iTunes and the Palm Pre suggests a more protectionist tactic. The Palm Pre, nor the Hackintosh community, present a huge competitive pressure on the Apple juggernaut. But, money is money, and if you can hamper the ankle-biters with little effort, why not?

Personally, I think a better strategy would be to understand the draw of the "Hackintosh" and produce an Apple-quality product that satisfies that market. Why fight when you can capitalize?

Cheers.
post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylehm View Post

I have to respectfully disagree as well. Your thought process makes some sense. However, the pattern of behavior with regards to iTunes and the Palm Pre suggests a more protectionist tactic. The Palm Pre, nor the Hackintosh community, present a huge competitive pressure on the Apple juggernaut. But, money is money, and if you can hamper the ankle-biters with little effort, why not?

Personally, I think a better strategy would be to understand the draw of the "Hackintosh" and produce an Apple-quality product that satisfies that market. Why fight when you can capitalize?

Cheers.

The only 'market' there is for people who put together home built PC's for dirt cheap, meaning there's no profit for Apple. Makes sense for them to prevent hackintosh from a business perspective. I would guesstimate that a large portion of that community probably didn't even bother to buy OS X, but downloaded it via Torrent.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #19 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Apple is hardly wasting energy with Psystar. Its just another day of business dealing with them.

On a lesser note, I hope people at least get the facts straight. Its very doubtful that Apple purposefully disabled Atom support with the intent to stall OSx86 netbooks. If you read about the general fixes in the update, you'd notice that much of what's been updated has been in terms of graphics. Nearly all their extensions (kexts) have been updated to support 64-bit, and with the exception of the original Core Duo processor, Apple has no 32-bit chips in their computers.

Losing Atom support is merely a side-effect of the changes they made. In cleaning up the code for their current computers, they inadvertently broke others. And again, support is only "lost" until someone creates a custom kernel with Atom support built back in. In the meantime, Atom users can still upgrade as long as they revert back to the older kernel.

I took a look at the System Profiler and it lists Darwin 10.2.0 rather than 10.0.0. So, it is more than the kernel extensions upgraded. Still, I don't buy into the conspiracy theories about disabling hackers; it is more like that the hackers moved outside of Apple's zone of support.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #20 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

apple is hardly wasting energy with psystar. Its just another day of business dealing with them.

On a lesser note, i hope people at least get the facts straight. Its very doubtful that apple purposefully disabled atom support with the intent to stall osx86 netbooks. If you read about the general fixes in the update, you'd notice that much of what's been updated has been in terms of graphics. Nearly all their extensions (kexts) have been updated to support 64-bit, and with the exception of the original core duo processor, apple has no 32-bit chips in their computers.

Losing atom support is merely a side-effect of the changes they made. In cleaning up the code for their current computers, they inadvertently broke others. And again, support is only "lost" until someone creates a custom kernel with atom support built back in. In the meantime, atom users can still upgrade as long as they revert back to the older kernel.

++++++++++++++111111111111111
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Yep 157.7MB here. Can't work out what it depends on from reading around. Maybe those with the bigger size got the fix for stack nested sorting that I'm still waiting for; so annoying...

The combo update is generally always the same size.
The update through "software update" varies from machine to machine and depends on what updates and software you have previously installed.

This isn't rocket science.
post #22 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylehm View Post

... (neither) The Palm Pre, nor the Hackintosh community, present a huge competitive pressure on the Apple juggernaut. But, money is money, and if you can hamper the ankle-biters with little effort, why not?...

You have no idea about how Apple operates if you think they care about "the money" to the extent that you seem to.

Apple is a product based company. The profits fall from the skies when they make good products and they are literally rolling in piles of cash.

They just don't think the way you think they think.
post #23 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

the update erased my t v recordings on my eye tv by elgato
also all my scheduling
anyone have any help on how to get back my recordings ?
the memory seems to have stayed the same like it is not erased but hiding lol
help

None of these sentences make any sense.

edit: and they aren't even sentences.
post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

None of these sentences make any sense.

edit: and they aren't even sentences.

made sense to me. What's with the rudeness?
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You have no idea about how Apple operates if you think they care about "the money" to the extent that you seem to.

Apple is a product based company. The profits fall from the skies when they make good products and they are literally rolling in piles of cash.

They just don't think the way you think they think.

Apple is smart about the battles it chooses to fight.
post #26 of 101
Who cares. Atom has nothing to do with current shipping Macs. I also hear Apple removed support for Via chips as well as Commodore CPUs.
post #27 of 101
It is ok, I enjoy Windows 7 on my Dell Mini Netbook. The best feature being the HDMI port that I use to connect to my HDTV and stream Netflix to. It is quite awesome. Apple is missing the boat here.

The Dell feels a bit cheap but it works fine. The only thing I miss on the netbook is bluetooth.
post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It is ok, I enjoy Windows 7 on my Dell Mini Netbook. The best feature being the HDMI port that I use to connect to my HDTV and stream Netflix to. It is quite awesome. Apple is missing the boat here.

The Dell feels a bit cheap but it works fine. The only thing I miss on the netbook is bluetooth.

What boat? I have my Mini hooked up as an HTPC. Works fine with HDMI. All you need is a $6.00 DVI to HDMI cable, and a $2.00 S/PDIF optical cable.

Any Mac including the baseline macbook has the same capability.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #29 of 101
This event seems to indicate a +1 towards ARM being used in the iTablet. But then most folks here have been reckoning that for awhile.

In any event I'm looking forward to the iTablet big time!
IF Reading_Comprehension_Skills = "On" THEN Please_Respond ELSE Take_Nap
Reply
IF Reading_Comprehension_Skills = "On" THEN Please_Respond ELSE Take_Nap
Reply
post #30 of 101
the atom is the crappiest cpu on the market, via included.

I don't want to spoil it to other people, and I appreciate the efforts of the hackintosh hobbyists.

That said its very obvious most of them are doing a diservice to themselves by not buying a superior apple products. Although with most of these computer modders/geek guys it's much less of an actual attempt to get a working computer to get their job done and more of a perennial moding/testing thing, a sexual thing really, subverted.

Btw to that guy who runs windows 7 on that dell atom...well good luck...let us know how long it will take you to switch to the next tab in the browser after you 've open 10-15 tabs, less than 15 minutes?

The best netbooks on the market are the powerbook g4 12" and the air, I don't accept the category, the rest are just plain crap. Get a thin and light laptop or a smart phone, netbooks are an abomination. Let alone crap pc netbooks running os x.

In any case the atom will be buried very soon by some fantastic ubber power conservative and powerful arm chips as well as I am pretty sure some beauties from in house apple designer pa semi. These guys had far better tec than any "mobile" cpu like the atom by intel four years ago, they did custom business with the us army and intelligence, imagine what they have right now, four years after. Expect to be amazed.
post #31 of 101
I think Apple just wants to make the community work for OSX, and not have it "just work" on crappy hardware.
post #32 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

OS X has no reason to support the Intel Atom, any more than it needs to support the Intel 386.

The question to that is, why did they not also cut out the code for Centrinos? or Pentiums? Singling out one line of processor like that means they either are going after hackintoshes or they're doing explicit work to that code that requires it to be broken off for now. It's always possible that the Slate will be powered by Atoms. Or the next AppleTV.
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
Reply
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
Reply
post #33 of 101
...so.
post #34 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

What boat? I have my Mini hooked up as an HTPC. Works fine with HDMI. All you need is a $6.00 DVI to HDMI cable, and a $2.00 S/PDIF optical cable.

Any Mac including the baseline macbook has the same capability.

Yes, I know the Mini and Macbook can hook-up to HDTV. I've heard it plenty of times. There are many converter cables but I like the simplicity of one cable. That is especially important on such a small device where every bit of real estate is precious. On at least the Dell Mini Netbook there's no optical drive but there's an SD card (sound familiar?).

I'm talking about Apple missing the netbook boat. Windows 7, even the starter edition on netbooks, is a good OS. Is it as good as OSX? I my opinion not quite but pretty close. Hopefully Apple will distance themselves from Windows 7 in the next OSX release.

So for a $349 base price I can do what the Mini can and have a keyboard, glidepad (mouse essentially), and a monitor for $250 less. I could almost buy two of them. And the Mini is visually more appealing.

The cons of the Mini are that it feels cheap on the glidepad, there's no optical drive (that's extra), and Dell clutters up the display with their own Mac OSX dock rip off. Other than that it is a rocking system. Apple only needs to introduce their own at $599 with similar specs and they'd sell like hotcakes. Why they don't make netbooks, mini towers, blades etc is anyone's guess. They feel they don't need to but maybe they would be in the top 5 computer manufacturers in the world if they did.

I'm still a Mac OSX fan and will always be but I'm also a Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, RIM, and HP fan when they make good products too.
post #35 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Why they don't make netbooks, mini towers, blades etc is anyone's guess. They feel they don't need to but maybe they would be in the top 5 computer manufacturers in the world if they did.

They would like be in the top 5 but how much would it increase their value as a company if they are now selling Macs with razor thin margins? How would it hurt the long term value of the Mac brand if they sold Macs that compete with the cheaply built netbooks? Could Apple even compete with these cheap machines without resorting to selling out to 3rd-party vendors by loading crapware on the systems?

The bottom line is that Apple doesnt want to be in that business and running Mac OS X on a netbook is simple. You can DL 10.6.1 builds right now and in a few days youll get the bug updates of 10.6.2 with the support for Atom on the torrent sites and newsgroup. Nothing has changed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

anyone have any help on how to get back my recordings ?

Restore from your Time Machine backup?
post #37 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Apple haters in 3...2...1...

On a side note, the update was 200 some odd MB for me. Where do they get this 400MB number from?

Depending on your configuration you either need up to 400MB or less changes made to your system.
post #38 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

So for a $349 base price I can do what the Mini can and have a keyboard, glidepad (mouse essentially), and a monitor for $250 less. ... Why they don't make netbooks, mini towers, blades etc is anyone's guess.

Profit?

Because netbooks have been so successful for Acer, HP and Dell

Mini towers, while I wouldn't mind a small one or two slot Mac mini tower, I don't think they are ever gong to do it. The new i7 iMac's just about put a nail in that coffin.

Blades - the Mac platform as a server is just too small, and there is no virtualization of Mac OS - just not enough profit to return on the investment in the product line.
post #39 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

What boat? I have my Mini hooked up as an HTPC. Works fine with HDMI. All you need is a $6.00 DVI to HDMI cable, and a $2.00 S/PDIF optical cable.

Any Mac including the baseline macbook has the same capability.

But then you are limited by what audio formats you can support
post #40 of 101
Ok Apple, I get it. No more hackintoshes because you are hacked.

We are hacked too, because people REALLY do want NETBOOKS - not oversized iPhone iTablets.

The least you can do is give us a 10" MacBook Air !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Intel Atom support officially missing from Mac OS X 10.6.2