or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as business models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as business models - Page 4

post #121 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

About a high school level understanding of the business models. Will help other insecure teenager Apple fanboys to feel a little safer in their Apple clique.

College level spin though. Regurgitated from Apple propaganda. Hey Apple, how you doing on maps and navigation? How you doing on cloud services?

What kind of a dumbo post is that?
post #122 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But when you say that your daughter has an S40, it doesn't mean that she has an OS, it means that she has a phone, which the S40 is.

And here in the States, Nokia and Symbian has been a failure, so S40 means nothing to most people. Same thing in Japan, where Nokia completely pulled out.

Go to wikipedia, do a search on s40, the first result is series 40.

Go to google, do a search on s40, the results are series 40, Volvo S40, and Canon S40, just because you think of a phone (that was a failure as well) from nine years ago doesn't mean that is what all people will think of. The fact at the end of the day is series 40 is the most common OS on a phone today, S40 is used an abbreviation for it, that is a fact, end of story, get used to it.
post #123 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If the numeric keyboards were so great, then every company wouldn't be moving to alphanumeric ones for their smartphones. They would stick with the cheaper and simpler numeric models.

Well not 'every' company is as you say.
post #124 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Go to wikipedia, do a search on s40, the first result is series 40.

Go to google, do a search on s40, the results are series 40, Volvo S40, and Canon S40, just because you think of a phone (that was a failure as well) from nine years ago doesn't mean that is what all people will think of. The fact at the end of the day is series 40 is the most common OS on a phone today, S40 is used an abbreviation for it, that is a fact, end of story, get used to it.

That's not the way people are going to do a search for "my daughter has an S40". I did what people would do looking for, what would be assumed after all to be a phone. I searched:

http://www.phonescoop.com/

If you had written it properly, you would have said that your daughter has a phone with the S40 OS. Then, it would have been different.
post #125 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well not 'every' company is as you say.

Which companies coming out with new smartphones don't use alphanumeric keyboards, either physical, virtual, or both, other than the hybrid, and soon to be replaced RIMs?
post #126 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Which companies coming out with new smartphones don't use alphanumeric keyboards, either physical, virtual, or both, other than the hybrid, and soon to be replaced RIMs?

Well for a start Nokia sells some smartphones that only have a numeric keyboard, maybe you have heard of them?
post #127 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not the way people are going to do a search for "my daughter has an S40". I did what people would do looking for, what would be assumed after all to be a phone. I searched:

http://www.phonescoop.com/

If you had written it properly, you would have said that your daughter has a phone with the S40 OS. Then, it would have been different.

Fine I will do that time, rather than assume someone will know of something common, or someone will use something like google, or assume someone will think someone is still using a (crap one at that) phone from 2000
post #128 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well for a start Nokia sells some smartphones that only have a numeric keyboard, maybe you have heard of them?

Very few people here know Nokia phones. Give some model numbers, and I'll take a look.
post #129 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Fine I will do that time, rather than assume someone will know of something common, or someone will use something like google, or assume someone will think someone is still using a (crap one at that) phone from 2000

There are specialty sites you know. Not every search is done on Google, just about 65% here. Searching for a phone is easiest on that site.

And apparently, that phone is still current.

And stop being so smirky. Nokia is not common here, and almost no one has even seen a Nokia phone. Same thing in Japan, and other places.

Just try to conform to norms. When referring to a phone, do so. When referring to an OS do that. If it can be misunderstood, assume that it will.
post #130 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Very few people here know Nokia phones. Give some model numbers, and I'll take a look.

knock yourself out...

http://www.nokia.eu
post #131 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There are specialty sites you know. Not every search is done on Google, just about 65% here. Searching for a phone is easiest on that site.

70% of statistics are made up on the spot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And apparently, that phone is still current.

And stop being so smirky. Nokia is not common here, and almost no one has even seen a Nokia phone. Same thing in Japan, and other places.

Just try to conform to norms. When referring to a phone, do so. When referring to an OS do that. If it can be misunderstood, assume that it will.

Do a search for S40 on that site, the majority (ie all but two) of the results are for series 40 articles...

Also no one here has seen an Apple phone either, but people on this site like to make out it has sold well
post #132 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

knock yourself out...

http://www.nokia.eu

That's not helpful. I can get ALL their models on the phone site as well. I mean a few specific models that you are talking about.

None of us here, including you, are really interested in the 90% of their phones that are cheap crappy models aimed at poor areas of the world.
post #133 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

70% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Well, that one certainly was.


Quote:
Do a search for S40 on that site, the majority (ie all but two) of the results are for series 40 articles...

Also no one here has seen an Apple phone either, but people on this site like to make out it has sold well

You are one of the biggest BSers here.
post #134 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You are one of the biggest BSers here.

Following you very closely...
post #135 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not helpful. I can get ALL their models on the phone site as well. I mean a few specific models that you are talking about.

It is helpful, because you can find all their phones there, use the Find Devices page, narrow it down based on your definition, it isn't hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

None of us here, including you, are really interested in the 90% of their phones that are cheap crappy models aimed at poor areas of the world.

What do you class as cheap? The iPhone is free in some parts of the world
post #136 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What do you class as cheap? The iPhone is free in some parts of the world

No, no its not. The few countries that offer an iPhone at no cost up front require a cellular contract with a data plan.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #137 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

It is helpful, because you can find all their phones there, use the Find Devices page, narrow it down based on your definition, it isn't hard to do.

It's not helpful, because I'm trying to find out which phones YOU are talking about here.

Quote:
What do you class as cheap? The iPhone is free in some parts of the world

The only place that I know of where the iPhone was given away for free for a two year contract was with O2 right before the 3GS was introduced. For a very short time, their few remaining phones were given away with the contract.

Where else have they been given away with a contract?
post #138 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, no its not. The few countries that offer an iPhone at no cost up front require a cellular contract with a data plan.

What is your point, the 'free' nokia phones that everyone here goes on about have the same conditions, they are free tied to the contract
post #139 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not helpful, because I'm trying to find out which phones YOU are talking about here.

If you look at several of the E series phones, which can quite happily been described as smartphones you will see models that have a numeric keypad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only place that I know of where the iPhone was given away for free for a two year contract was with O2 right before the 3GS was introduced. For a very short time, their few remaining phones were given away with the contract.

Where else have they been given away with a contract?

You can get an iPhone 3G free from Vodafone NZ, looking at Vodafone AU they also offer the 3GS free. There are two places, wasn't hard to find, so I assume that makes them cheap phones since they are free?
post #140 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If you look at several of the E series phones, which can quite happily been described as smartphones you will see models that have a numeric keypad.

Ok.

Quote:
You can get an iPhone 3G free from Vodafone NZ, looking at Vodafone AU they also offer the 3GS free. There are two places, wasn't hard to find, so I assume that makes them cheap phones since they are free?

Assuming that's true in those places, and I haven't seen it myself, then, there, it's a pretty good deal.
post #141 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Assuming that's true in those places, and I haven't seen it myself, then, there, it's a pretty good deal.

Here at the links for you

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/iphone/8gb-iphone-3g.jsp

http://vodafone.com.au:80/personal/iphone/index.htm
post #142 of 144
There are no free lunches.

The aussie "mobile tariff" system is also the world's most complex to understand --- which means it's expensive.

Each phone call has a "flag fall" charge --- it's like flagging a taxi and the taxi meter automatically starts at $2.50 --- then they charge you the duration of the call separately.

They also advertise (for example) their $50 monthly plan to have like $500's worth of phone calls. It reeks like those Ginsu knifes infomercial where they tell you that $20 set of Ginsu knifes is really worth $299.
post #143 of 144
Now Miss Gross without implying you know nothing about mobile phones, cellular telecoms or the development of gsm. S40, to anyone who does know about mobile phones , cellular telecoms or the development of GSM, means the OS on Nokia's base level smart phones.

Now I am a great admirer of Jobs who has reinvented himself brilliantly but the question of what OS is likely to be better for phones is undecided. There is no doubt that the closed garden of the iphone allows amazing responsiveness. However it is unlikely that Apple will be allowed to become the sole developer of smart phone os worldwide. However the anger i see here reminds me of what I read about the 1930's and that worries me.
post #144 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by awordinyourear View Post

Now Miss Gross without implying you know nothing about mobile phones, cellular telecoms or the development of gsm. S40, to anyone who does know about mobile phones , cellular telecoms or the development of GSM, means the OS on Nokia's base level smart phones.

Now I am a great admirer of Jobs who has reinvented himself brilliantly but the question of what OS is likely to be better for phones is undecided. There is no doubt that the closed garden of the iphone allows amazing responsiveness. However it is unlikely that Apple will be allowed to become the sole developer of smart phone os worldwide. However the anger i see here reminds me of what I read about the 1930's and that worries me.

That's already been ended. I checked further, and have bumped up against all of the misinformation present on the web. I see that the S40 OS is not considered to be "Symbian", though, I've spoken to people who were around back then, who still insist that it and S60 have roots together. Whether that's true or not, I can't say, but they would be in a position to know. Perhaps they are wrong, or others are. Right now though they are not the same, whatever that past may, or may not have been.

And the discussion about that is over.

You're getting upset about nothing. The discussion over which OS will become dominant is similar to what is being argued on many other websites. Don't take it to an illogical extreme as you're doing.

The question of which OS's will be dominant in the future is market driven. No one "decides" which it will be. If it's the iPhone OS, that's great, if not, that's great too. But people using any particular OS will want that one to be the most popular, which ever it is, because that will benefit them. Each company also wants to dominate, because it benefits them as well. That's realism.

By the way, I have no idea what the "miss" is all about for you but my name melgross, doesn't indicate "miss", so I don't know where you're coming from with that. When referring to someone, please use the proper screen name.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as business models