or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple overtakes Nokia to claim handset profit crown
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple overtakes Nokia to claim handset profit crown - Page 3

post #81 of 116
It’s quite amazing to have this recorded evidence of a paranoid delusional in one location over this much time. He’s always wrong yet he has never once admitted to it. His family must love to be around him on the holidays.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's because that IS their total profit. It's plainly written in the article! Apple doesn't give out line by line figures. Apple should not be compared to Nokia in their bottom line. Maybe SOny but certainly not Nokia for crissake!
Be very care who you listen to on here.

According to the report, Apple's operating profit was $1.6 billion on sales of 7.4 million iPhones, generating revenue of $4.5 billion. Nokia's profit was $1.1 billion on sales of 108.5 million phones, generating revenue of $10.36 billion (€6.9 billion).

taken from Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-nokia-2009-11

To that is iPhone profits and not total profit figures for Apple.
post #83 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I love MAC OS. How exactly does that relate to my post?

Us unbiased folk here are constantly labeled trolls, complainers, whiners for not participating in their cheerleading squad.

I criticize Apple all the time. I invented the quote: "The only healthy relationship you can have with Apple as a love-hate one. Too much hate and you are being dishonest, and too much love and you are being naive." Apple make some great products and decisions and some awful decisions, and arguably some awful products - i.e. Magic Mouse etc. For better of for worse they are one of the best product companies around at the moment, and they have by far the best computer OS.

The thing about you though--from my point of view, is you often contradict yourself. I've seen at a few times, when your argument gets flakey you bring up unrelated stuff to try to make your point. I have been very wrong in the past on the forums here, but the lads will tell you I am quick to apologize when I see it. You either do not see it or just refuse to apologize for doing what you did and saying what you said.

There is no point in getting defensive and trying to attack me for pointing this out, as I say I'm just pointing it out. In the past when I spotted you do this you'll remember I tell you to take a coffee or tea break, or get some rest. You probably take this forum too seriously. Sometimes you need to laugh at others, and yourself. That "yourself" part is particularly important.

And you can disagree with everyone here without being in a constant whine too, it's actually possible. The trick is being honest, but never defensive.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #84 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

According to the report, Apple's operating profit was $1.6 billion on sales of 7.4 million iPhones, generating revenue of $4.5 billion. Nokia's profit was $1.1 billion on sales of 108.5 million phones, generating revenue of $10.36 billion (6.9 billion).

taken from Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-nokia-2009-11

To that is iPhone profits and not total profit figures for Apple.

Hes been given the direct link to Apples quarterly reports with GAAP and non-GAAP accounting and direct statements to the number of iPhones sold and the average selling price and profit margin. I dont think he could pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the sole.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #85 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont think he could pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the sole.

I'm writing that one down.
post #86 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I criticize Apple all the time. I invented the quote: "The only healthy relationship you can have with Apple as a love-hate one. Too much hate and you are being dishonest, and too much love and you are being naive." Apple make some great products and decisions and some awful decisions, and arguably some awful products - i.e. Magic Mouse etc. For better of for worse they are one of the best product companies around at the moment, and they have by far the best computer OS.

The thing about you though--from my point of view, is you often contradict yourself. I've seen at a few times, when your argument gets flakey you bring up unrelated stuff to try to make your point. I have been very wrong in the past on the forums here, but the lads will tell you I am quick to apologize when I see it. You either do not see it or just refuse to apologize for doing what you did and saying what you said.

There is no point in getting defensive and trying to attack me for pointing this out, as I say I'm just pointing it out. In the past when I spotted you do this you'll remember I tell you to take a coffee or tea break, or get some rest. You probably take this forum too seriously. Sometimes you need to laugh at others, and yourself. That "yourself" part is particularly important.

And you can disagree with everyone here without being in a constant whine too, it's actually possible. The trick is being honest, but never defensive.

PUh-leeze no one laughs more at themselves than moi.
And no whine either.
There is nothing recherché or fanboi delusional about my posts either.
Are you a therapist? Take a rest- HA!
post #87 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

PUh-leeze no one laughs more at themselves than moi.
And no whine either.
There is nothing recherché or fanboi delusional about my posts either.
Are you a therapist? Take a rest- HA!

Maybe not fanboi delusional but delusional none-the-less (atleast when it comes to this article)

Anyways I found this link from earlier this year pretty much predicted this was going to happen:
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...profits-2009-6

Notice over time the Pink(Apple) and Teal(RIM) portions getting bigger while Blue(Nokia) is getting smaller.
post #88 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's see

I looked at both links, the only one that has the average price is the Appleinsider link, which since it is written by Prince McLean isn't really worth anything, can you provide an actual link with actual information.

Absolutely. As presented by Peter Oppenheimer, Apples CFO on October 19, 2009 during their Q4 2009 financial results conference call:
  • LIVE ANALYSIS: Apple Delivers Monster Quarter, Blows Away Whispers (AAPL)
    http://philsbackupsite.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/

    Quote:
    5:40: iPhone ASP went up, is it just sales or currency? iPhone ASP over $600, rebalancing ending channel inventory toward 3GS. On sequential basis, yes ASP up a bit in the portable space. A little benefit from the dollar, a small positive.

    .
  • iPhone Money Trail
    http://meownewsletter.com/2009/10/26...e-money-trail/

    Quote:
    Peter Oppenheimer, Apples Chief Financial Officer, said that the Average Selling Price of iPhones in the quarter was just over $600. This reflects both high mix of 3GS sellthrough and benefits of rebalancing the ending channel inventory toward the 3GS.

    .
  • Live Update: Apple Financials
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1432...iveupdate.html

    Quote:
    Dan Moren - 2:41:56Opp: iPHone ASP in quarter just over $600, high mix of 3GS sell-thru, and benefit of rebalancing ending channel inventory more towards 3GS. On a sequential basis, ASPs were up a bit, in portable space, was a function of higher mix new MacBook Pros.


By the way AHOLE, what the f**k is your problem?
post #89 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Maybe not fanboi delusional but delusional none-the-less (atleast when it comes to this article)

Anyways I found this link from earlier this year pretty much predicted this was going to happen:
http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...profits-2009-6

Notice over time the Pink(Apple) and Teal(RIM) portions getting bigger while Blue(Nokia) is getting smaller.

Really? Would you compare McDonalds to DAiry Queen's bottom line? They both sell soft ice cream and I believe at some Dairy Queens you can get a burger here and there.
post #90 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? Would you compare McDonalds to DAiry Queen's bottom line? They both sell soft ice cream and I believe at some Dairy Queens you can get a burger here and there.

For cripes sake, the posted link refers to Deutsche Bank's analysis of the Mobile Phone Maker's Operating Profit Share for their cell phones, not anything else, e.g., Apple's computers/iPods/Software, etc., they may produce or sell.

Just like this article here.

Ref: Wrong again
post #91 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its quite amazing to have this recorded evidence of a paranoid delusional in one location over this much time. Hes always wrong yet he has never once admitted to it. His family must love to be around him on the holidays.

The amazing thing is that he's always wrong. You'd think, just by chance, that maybe he'd be right about something, sometime, like a clock that's stopped being right twice a day.
post #92 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? Would you compare McDonalds to DAiry Queen's bottom line? They both sell soft ice cream and I believe at some Dairy Queens you can get a burger here and there.

I'm honestly baffled how you still don't get it. What's so hard about saying you're wrong? They're comparing mobile phone profit to mobile phone profit (and nothing else!). I don't see why that's a problem.
post #93 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

PUh-leeze no one laughs more at themselves than moi.

How could anyone possibly laugh at themselves more than you. You are so funny after all.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #94 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwalsh4 View Post

i'm honestly baffled how you still don't get it. What's so hard about saying you're wrong? They're comparing mobile phone profit to mobile phone profit (and nothing else!). I don't see why that's a problem.

Because I'm NOT wrong. Apple and Nokia should not be compared as companies. Your links hvae benn p[rvoen wrong. AppleInsider is even telling you APple DOES NOT list its profits by line. COMPRENDEZ?????
post #95 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How could anyone possibly laugh at themselves more than you. You are so funny after all.

As opposed to being pompous?
post #96 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

because i'm not wrong. Apple and nokia as a company should not be compared.

So you're saying if two companies don't make exactly the same stuff they shouldn't be compared? So your 90% vs 10% argument with MS and Apple is baseless. MS makes the OS and Apple makes the OS/hardware but also iPod/iPhones/etc. They shouldn't as a company be compared. Do you ever follow your own logic?
post #97 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Because I'm NOT wrong. Apple and Nokia should not be compared as companies. Your links hvae benn p[rvoen wrong. AppleInsider is even telling you APple DOES NOT list its profits by line. COMPRENDEZ?????

Please point me to where\\how they have been proven wrong? I swear you are losing it. (And my links weren't the only ones in this thread.)

Who has proven this wrong?
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-nokia-2009-11

Do you work for Nokia? For someone who has an iPhone you really can't comprehend that Apple has more profits (in the mobile phone area).
post #98 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Because I'm NOT wrong. Apple and Nokia should not be compared as companies. Your links hvae benn p[rvoen wrong. AppleInsider is even telling you APple DOES NOT list its profits by line. COMPRENDEZ?????

Techstud, serious question.

Every time you get yourself into one of these situations where everyone in a thread seems against you, do you ever, even for a second, stop and ask yourself, "Wait a minute, why does everyone see something one way and I seem to be seeing something totally opposite."
post #99 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Techstud, serious question.

Every time you get yourself into one of these situations where everyone in a thread seems against you, do you ever, even for a second, stop and ask yourself, "Wait a minute, why does everyone see something one way and I seem to be seeing something totally opposite."

That's a rhetorical question, right?
post #100 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's a rhetorical question, right?

It can be taken as advice too.
post #101 of 116
It really makes me sad that so many threads get gnarly because of a few trolls and the dedicated churlish. Really, it seems to happen a lot now, trolls and cranks new and old immediately begin beating their drum at every bit of upside news for Apple. And, of course, anyone noticing that you're simply a straight-up douche bag is a "fanboy." Didn't used to be like that.

At any rate, as far as the "only a fanboy could welcome Apple profits that come out of their user's wallets" notion: the iPhone upfront cost and data plan are exactly the same as, say, the Droid.

Where have been the posts complaining about Droid costs? Why is this "obscene profit" thing only relevant when we're talking about Apple?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #102 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's because that IS their total profit. It's plainly written in the article!

Could you please, please stop being so incredibly dense and derailing threads. I beseech you.

Apple's total operating profit for 2009 is $7.685B (I insist that you take a look at p. 56 of their most recent 10-K; you will learn something: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1).

Indeed, it is actually even higher than that, because Apple defers revenue on iPhones.

The numbers in this article are estimates for the iPhone only.
post #103 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I'm honestly baffled how you still don't get it. They're comparing mobile phone profit to mobile phone profit (and nothing else!). I don't see why that's a problem.

He may have, initially, misunderstood the article, but it's content has been explained numerous times. Now he is simply ignoring the basic facts and trolling his own childish interpretation.
post #104 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

He may have, initially, misunderstood the article, but it's content has been explained numerous times. Now he is simply ignoring the basic facts and trolling his own childish interpretation.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And when he realized it, instead of "Oops, sorry I mis-read that." He goes on for pages fully aware he's still stating the (obvious) misinterpretation.
post #105 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

He may have, initially, misunderstood the article, but it's content has been explained numerous times. Now he is simply ignoring the basic facts and trolling his own childish interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And when he realized it, instead of "Oops, sorry I mis-read that." He goes on for pages fully aware he's still stating the (obvious) misinterpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Could you please, please stop being so incredibly dense and derailing threads. I beseech you.

Apple's total operating profit for 2009 is $7.685B (I insist that you take a look at p. 56 of their most recent 10-K; you will learn something: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1).

Indeed, it is actually even higher than that, because Apple defers revenue on iPhones.

The numbers in this article are estimates for the iPhone only.

OK< OK I GET IT!!
it's not my fault AI omitted the MOST important aspect of the article:

per the link:
Quote:
Apple does not unveil profits per business line, but Strategy Analytics estimated Apple's operating profit for its iPhone handset unit stood at $1.6 billion in the third quarter, compared with Nokia's $1.1 billion

per AI:
Quote:
Reuters reports that although Apple does not disclose profits by line, operating profit was estimated at nearly $1.6 billion in the third quarter of this year, compared to $1.1 billion in profit by Nokia for the same period of time.

NO apologies necessary.

Jeesh- everything is explainable.
post #106 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


.... blah blah blah ....

So you have no argument, and you have dropped down to personal insults. Sad, sad, sad...

Also, none of those links were from Apple...
post #107 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So you have no argument, and you have dropped down to personal insults. Sad, sad, sad...

Also, none of those links were from Apple...

"Have no argument"? Good lord, dude.

"None of those links from Apple" is pretty weak, unless you want to argue that Macworld deliberately or inadvertently misreported during a live blog on a conference call. Surely that's not going to be the peg on which you hang your disputatious hat?

Average selling price, number of units sold, figures line up. There really isn't any contention, is there?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #108 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Have no argument"? Good lord, dude.

"None of those links from Apple" is pretty weak, unless you want to argue that Macworld deliberately or inadvertently misreported during a live blog on a conference call. Surely that's not going to be the peg on which you hang your disputatious hat?

Average selling price, number of units sold, figures line up. There really isn't any contention, is there?

No, the concept is correct, if a little bit simplistic. But a valid link would be handy, especially since others have been misquoted before.
post #109 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

As opposed to being pompous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

PUh-leeze no one laughs more at themselves than moi.

Yeah, exactly.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #110 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So you have no argument, and you have dropped down to personal insults. Sad, sad, sad...

Also, none of those links were from Apple...

Are you some kind of an idiot? Notice it is a question.

Unfortunately, Apple has removed the Quicktime webcast. However, you can read the full transcript at http://seekingalpha.com/article/1674...script?page=-1.

And then call these people as liars as you have implied with all the references given to you.

By the way, when you use the QUOTE box, respect the writer and use it properly.
post #111 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Are you some kind of an idiot? Notice it is a question.

No I'm not, but I believe you are. Notice that is a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Unfortunately, Apple has removed the Quicktime webcast. However, you can read the full transcript at http://seekingalpha.com/article/1674...script?page=-1.

And then call these people as liars as you have implied with all the references given to you.

I haven't called anyone 'liars', I just wanted a quote directly from Apple, rather than the third, or forth hand examples you are providing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

By the way, when you use the QUOTE box, respect the writer and use it properly.

I have to provide you respect even though you try to insult me? You have a serious issue, I suggest you get some help.
post #112 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have to provide you respect even though you try to insult me? You have a serious issue, I suggest you get some help.

Perhaps you should go back to your post #57 and ask yourself why did you insult me?
post #113 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps you should go back to your post #57 and ask yourself why did you insult me?

What exactly did I say that was insulting?
post #114 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So why didn't you include that in the first place, rather than trying to look like a hero with the late information.

And just what does that mean?
post #115 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And just what does that mean?

That means you posted a small piece of information to attract someone to complain, when I did you ran in with your quote, to look like a hero.

If you think that is an insult, you need to get out more.
post #116 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

That means you posted a small piece of information to attract someone to complain, when I did you ran in with your quote, to look like a hero.

If you think that is an insult, you need to get out more.

That is bizzarely paranoid.

And "you need to get out more" is a highly amusing (and ironic) comeback on an internet forum populated by geeks engaged in a flamefest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple overtakes Nokia to claim handset profit crown