or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac marketshare grows in Europe as Apple's competitors struggle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac marketshare grows in Europe as Apple's competitors struggle

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
PC sales in the U.K. and Western Europe diminished over the past year while Apple's market share has grown, as higher-priced Macs have found success in the midst of down economy.

New European sales figures for the third financial quarter of 2009 were released by research firm Gartner Wednesday, and overall U.K. PC shipments were down 2.4 percent. The data showed Apple's market share of PC sales in the U.K. increased from 3.8 percent in 3Q 2008 to 5 percent in 3Q 2009. In the three-month frame, Apple shipped 165,000 Macs, good for 26.6 percent growth from last year.

"Apple leveraged the 'halo' effect of the Apple brand created by the iPods and iPhones into the PC arena, dominating the mid to higher price brackets," Gartner said.

Apple made its debut in the U.K. top 5 in the first quarter of 2009. For that frame, the Mac maker had a 4.8 percent market share.

The only manufacturer to exceed Apple's growth in the U.K. was the top-selling Acer, which saw 35.5 percent growth based on the strength of its low-cost netbook sales. Acer shipped 798,000 PCs during the frame, good for a 24.2 percent market share.

Industry veterans Dell and Hewlett-Packard saw decreases of more than 10 percent year-over-year as they came in second and third place, respectively. Toshiba, with a massive 26.1 percent decline from 2008, took fourth place. Just behind Apple in sixth place in the U.K is Samsung, with a 4.8 percent market share for the quarter.



It's the same story in Western Europe, where overall shipments declined 0.3 percent for the quarter, but Gartner said the "biggest winners" were Apple, Samsung and Acer. Though Apple and Samsung did not crack the top five and specific numbers were not available, Acer managed a 28.3 percent market share in Western Europe during the third quarter. The company saw 21.3 percent year-over-year growth.

Good news for the rest of the European PC markets in France and Germany, where year-over-year sales returned to growth. France's PC industry increased 1.9 percent in the third quarter, while shipments in Germany grew 3.7 percent. Acer was again the top manufacturer in both territories, commanding more than a quarter of the market in each. Apple did not crack the top five in either nation.

In October, domestic Mac shipments grew 11.8 percent year-over-year, giving Apple an estimated 9.4 percent of the U.S. PC market. For the frame, Apple was the fourth-largest PC maker in the nation.
post #2 of 70
Wow-3.5% to 5% in UK.
Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.


Hey-Why aren't the percentages listed for Western and Eastern Europe?
post #3 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- 5%. Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.

The Premium end, teck. THAT'S the end everyone wants.
post #4 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow-3.5% to 5%.
Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.

I thought MS were afraid of on one because MS make such superior products and has 90% of market share has mentioned by certain person in this forum, everytime we discuss MS related news to Apple.

P.S. Teckstud before you jump to the keyboard to reply, it is not you
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Premium end, teck. THAT'S the end everyone wants.

Oh right, I forgot.

So then why does AI keep insisting on posting these generalized percentages if we really only what to know what part of the "Premium" pie it has?

Wouldn't you want to know what part of the "premium" market Rolex has as opposed the the total wristwatch market?
post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Premium end, teck. THAT'S the end everyone wants.

That's not even the take-away point, IMO. The important number is unit growth. The pattern is similar to the U.S., where Windows PC growth has been in the low single digits for some time, while Mac unit growth has been in the positive double digits. It's a pretty remarkable trend, especially if it holds up. We've seen U.S. Mac market share triple during the last few years. The same could be happening elsewhere.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That's not even the take-away point, IMO. The important number is unit growth. The pattern is similar to the U.S., where Windows PC growth has been in the low single digits for some time, while Mac unit growth has been in the positive double digits. It's a pretty remarkable trend, especially if it holds up. We've seen U.S. Mac market share triple during the last few years. The same could be happening elsewhere.

Again, why is this such remarkable news when you've had:

1.) World economic slowdown.
2.) Vista bomb
3.) iPhone success

Those numbers seem reasonable not exemplary when you factor these things in.
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow-3.5% to 5% in UK.
Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.


Hey-Why aren't the percentages listed for Western and Eastern Europe?

Hey Teckstud, I believe your mom called. You have forgotten to take your pills again this morning.
post #9 of 70
Macs have picked up steam from the days of Tiger. They're a pretty common occurrence nowadays, especially the white Macbook among commuters (see plenty of them on the trains). With that point in mind, I'd like to see a more compact design, maybe a 10" laptop. Plus they stopped running the (atrocious) Mac/PC ads - it must be down to word of mouth for the most part. I've contributed to that!
post #10 of 70
To give you further assistance with putting the dots together. We are experiencing the second most serious economic downturn in modern history. Apple is experiencing double digit growth while selling premium products. While at the same time the market leaders are experiencing the lost sales you should have when the economy has been on the brink of collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Again, why is this such remarkable news when you've had:

1.) World economic slowdown.
2.) Vista bomb
3.) iPhone success

Those numbers seem reasonable not exemplary when you factor these things in.
post #11 of 70
The one where Windows promises the fix the problems of the previous Windows going to back to Windows 3 was quite funny. I have some PC friends who were especially angered by that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Plus they stopped running the (atrocious) Mac/PC ads - it must be down to word of mouth for the most part.
post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why aren't the percentages listed for Western and Eastern Europe?

I would have thought Apple sell a lot more computers in Western Europe just because there's more people with more money.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if more Macs are sold in Germany, France and the UK every year than everywhere else in the rest of Europe combined.
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow-3.5% to 5% in UK.
Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.


Hey-Why aren't the percentages listed for Western and Eastern Europe?

Unit share.

Who made big gains? Acer and Samsung. Why did they make gains? Netbooks. Cheap-ass laptops. Aspire Ones and NC10s.

I'd like to see the market share in terms of revenue.
post #14 of 70
Considering the recession and Apple is a premium brand these are amazing results.

Image how much better they would do if they did not insist on ripping British consumers off compared to the US, £100 before taxes difference on the new white MacBooks anyone?

Still well done Apple, I have converted many people to your machines over the last few years and will continue to do.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

To give you further assistance with putting the dots together. We are experiencing the second most serious economic downturn in modern history. Apple is experiencing double digit growth while selling premium products. While at the same time the market leaders are experiencing the lost sales you should have when the economy has been on the brink of collapse.

Well you repeated my items # 1 and 3 yet omitted #2?
Hmmmmmm.
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Macs have picked up steam from the days of Tiger. They're a pretty common occurrence nowadays, especially the white Macbook among commuters (see plenty of them on the trains). With that point in mind, I'd like to see a more compact design, maybe a 10" laptop. Plus they stopped running the (atrocious) Mac/PC ads - it must be down to word of mouth for the most part. I've contributed to that!

I believe you mean from the days of Vista.
post #17 of 70
Well everyone knew Windows 7 was coming. Can't keep using the Vista excuse.

Mac sales began to take off when they switched to Intel processors, that was a year before Vista's launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well you repeated my items # 1 and 3 yet omitted #2?
Hmmmmmm.


I believe you mean from the days of Vista.
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Hey Teckstud, I believe your mom called. You have forgotten to take your pills again this morning.

Thanks for reminding me to take my vitamin pack.
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well everyone knew Windows 7 was coming. Can't keep using the Vista excuse.

Yes you can when:

1.) not everybody is as informed as yourself and

2.) Windows 7 was released October 22- not even a month yet where I come from.
post #20 of 70
Most PC people who would know enough about computers to explore switching to a Mac would be aware of the next Windows update. The majority of them would take that into consideration before investing the time and money on buying into an entirely new computer platform.


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes you can when:

1.) not everybody is as informed as yourself and

2.) Windows 7 was released October 22- not even a month yet where I come from.
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Hey Teckstud, I believe your mom called. You have forgotten to take your pills again this morning.

Why does anyone not have him on their ignore list? If there was such a thing as a waste of cyberspace, he'd be the definition.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #22 of 70
I really don't understand the above chart. Who the Hell is "Apple Computer"? There's currently no tech company in the world with that name, is there?
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I believe you mean from the days of Vista.

Precisely. Which is why I said from the days of Tiger.

Vista had an effect, but it's not as if the Mac wasn't successful on it's own merits. I started with Tiger and can't imagine using OS X before that came out. I'd be quite happy using either Snow Leopard or Windows 7, they are both very good. Whether other consumers think so remains to be seen.
post #24 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The one where Windows promises the fix the problems of the previous Windows going to back to Windows 3 was quite funny. I have some PC friends who were especially angered by that one.

I guess, but we used different actors (not that US ads are that much better). Mac/PC ads don't really work when the Mac guy is more unlikeable than the PC guy though!
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Why does anyone not have him on their ignore list? If there was such a thing as a waste of cyberspace, he'd be the definition.

Because, that way, he does not get called to the carpet for his idiocy. I think that some people hold out the hope that decency and self-esteem will finally trump his ignorance. (As William Osler said, "the greater the ignorance, the greater the dogmatism".) \
post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

...

Wouldn't you want to know what part of the "premium" market Rolex has as opposed the the total wristwatch market?

I would like to know too, but I assume that Rolex and other premium luxury watch makers make a ton of money compared to makers of cheaper watches.

It's not all about market share in the overall market, it's about making money. Our society is build upon that, and Apple, like many other companies, are there to make money.


Apple made 8.34 billion USD in revenue in the 3rd quarter of 2009, with a profit of 1.23 billion USD. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/07/21results.html

Microsoft made 13.099 billion USD of revenue in the same quarter of 2009 and had a profit of 3.045 billion USD. http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnin...rel_q4_09.mspx

Microsoft had a margin of 23%, Apple had 14%.


If we assume Apple has 9% market share, that would mean it made 136 million USD in profit per one of its market share points, and Microsoft (89%) made 34 million USD per one of its market share points.

So while Apple might not have as much market share as Microsoft has, it made 4 times more profits with its "small" market compared to the "big" market of Microsoft (per 1%).
If roles were reversed and Apple had a market share of 89% it would have made 12.1 billion USD in profits alone (86 billion USD in revenue), and Microsoft with its meager 9% would have made 306 million USD in profits (1.3 billion USD in revenue).


I hope my math is right, even if it's just simple division and multiplication without any economical formulas involved.

Apple might be small, but they make a lot of money despite being so small.


See you in 800 of your posts or so.
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because, that way, he does not get called to the carpet for his idiocy. I think that some people hold out the hope that decency and self-esteem will finally trump his ignorance. (As William Osler said, "the greater the ignorance, the greater the dogmatism".) \

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I came across this gem of a quote from Goethe: "There is nothing worse than active ignorance."
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I came across this gem of a quote from Goethe: "There is nothing worse than active ignorance."


Too bad you can't put yourself on your ignore list.

(OMG- he's talking to himself now.)
post #29 of 70
Nice attention to detail in your research Gartner! Apple Computer changed their name to Apple years ago. I have a hard time trusting anything these "research analysts" say. Maybe next time you should research the company name first.
post #30 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow-3.5% to 5% in UK.
Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.


You're going to have to explain to me why you think this is relevant?

In the US for example, Apple "only" has 9.5% market share, but that has little, if anything, to do with Microsoft. Why?

Well Apple gets 33 cents in every dollar spent on computers in the US, despite having less than 10% of the market. How many cents does MS get for every dollar spent on a computer in the US? It's probably barely 10%.

Apple is competing against HP, Dell, Acer etc in hardware, and in terms of profits on computer sales, is the leader, by far.

If we're just interested in the kind of argument a pair of 12 year olds might havem then fair enough... let's all "LOL" @ Microsoft's 1% Zune market share... or their rapidly declining share in SmartPhones... how many albums did they sell last year?

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too bad you can't put yourself on your ignore list.

(OMG- he's talking to himself now.)

Basically you are full BS, lets get down to the basics here and not waste time with colorful quotes
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

sorry to reply to my own post, but i came across this gem of a quote from goethe: "there is nothing worse than active ignorance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

too bad you can't put yourself on your ignore list.

(omg- he's talking to himself now.)

.. Q. E. D.

post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Unit share.

Who made big gains? Acer and Samsung. Why did they make gains? Netbooks. Cheap-ass laptops. Aspire Ones and NC10s.

I'd like to see the market share in terms of revenue.

Exactly!

In the mobile phone space. Apple has passed Nokia in terms of profitability.
I would like to know what Apple's position would be if this league-table was based on profit.

C.
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too bad you can't put yourself on your ignore list.

(OMG- he's talking to himself now.)

I guess you missed this in the midst of your previous verbal fusillade*: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...28#post1518628


* That is not a bad word, btw.
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I came across this gem of a quote from Goethe: "There is nothing worse than active ignorance."

I don't see where that concept applies to entertaining the ignorant. Trolls deserve to be ignored because they thrive on producing distraction. But that's the last I'm going to say about it, since I'm actually interested in the thread topic.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Premium end, teck. THAT'S the end everyone wants.

From a producer point of view, sure. But I'd like to reiterate an important argument made by someone else here: 95 percent of the computer market simply refuse Apple's offering. It's not important for the argument that Apple's market has an extremely high profitability as should hell freeze over and Microsoft collapse I'd say that a massively backed Linux distribution (e.g. Chrome OS) would have a far better chance to fill the void than Apple. People had the chance to buy Apple Redux computers for the past 10 years and Intel computers for the last 3 but something apparently was and is lacking in Apple's offering for the majority of consumers, be it a greater price differentiation or use cases which are not served by OS X as 92 percent market share vs. 5 can't really be interpreted as people moving to Apple in flocks. Apple gained less than 1 percent market share in the past 12 months, mostly at the expense of Microsoft. At this rate they'll take decades to overtake Redmond.
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I guess you missed this in the midst of your previous verbal fusillade*: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...28#post1518628


* That is not a bad word, btw.

What? You send me a link to a link? Dude you're loosin' it!
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

From a producer point of view, sure. But I'd like to reiterate an important argument made by someone else here: 95 percent of the computer market simply refuse Apple's offering. It's not important for the argument that Apple's market has an extremely high profitability as should hell freeze over and Microsoft collapse I'd say that a massively backed Linux distribution (e.g. Chrome OS) would have a far better chance to fill the void than Apple. People had the chance to buy Apple Redux computers for the past 10 years and Intel computers for the last 3 but something apparently was and is lacking in Apple's offering for the majority of consumers, be it a greater price differentiation or use cases which are not served by OS X as 92 percent market share vs. 5 can't really be interpreted as people moving to Apple in flocks. Apple gained less than 1 percent market share in the past 12 months, mostly at the expense of Microsoft. At this rate they'll take decades to overtake Redmond.

I honestly don't think Apple is directly trying to gain as much market share as possible. I think they try to build the best product they can, and make the best possible profit off their premium products. They understand some people will pay the price for it, others won't. They don't want to make crappy (in their eyes), inexpensive products that would increase the share. In the end if they gain market share in the process, its an indirect result. At least this is my interpretation of the situation.
post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I honestly don't think Apple is directly trying to gain as much market share as possible. I think they try to build the best product they can, and make the best possible profit off their premium products. They understand some people will pay the price for it, others won't. They don't want to make crappy (in their eyes), inexpensive products that would increase the share. In the end if they gain market share in the process, its an indirect result. At least this is my interpretation of the situation.

Yet everytime there's a 0.75 gain in marketshare everyone gets bananas! new threads, heralded headlines
post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yet everytime there's a 0.75 gain in marketshare everyone gets bananas! new threads, heralded headlines

And you posting how its still only 90/10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac marketshare grows in Europe as Apple's competitors struggle