or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X - Page 6

post #201 of 214
In a press release issued just moments ago... Apple stated that the somewhat volatile and inflammatory comments made by Steve Jobs in an earlier interview where he stated that "Microsoft is nothing more than a mountain of shit filled with no-talent, lack-luster, has-beens, also-rans and never-weres and that the company wasn't even worth the powder to blow em all straight to hell!!" was totally false and clearly taken out of context.

Upon further examination by the Apple Finance Group in conjunction with the Apple Civil-Engineering Group its been determined that given the current market cap of MS and the number of physical structures that comprise the majority of Microsoft they WERE worth the powder to blow themselves straight to hell and perhaps enough left over for a Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino and perhaps a scone.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #202 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

No, you're incorrect unfortunately...I didn't ask.


You can come on over and switch to OS X, sure...and turn around and follow the same pattern. Keep yourself in the dark, only follow what's right in front of your face. Being the sheep when the shepherds are idiots doesn't bode well for your IQ.
Bash Windows because right now you're not using it, and don't bother to read anything about it. But make sure you defend people who post bad things today about what shortcomings might have been true 5 years ago.


Time Machine, by the by, failed me miserably on my second backup attempt. It has since been turned off and I'm using iBackup. Firewire connected hard drive, too. It's a shame sometimes things just don't work the way you want them to.

Hey you seem like a decent guys, and intelligent for that matter, that's why I am engaging in a reply. For the time machine failure I have to say, no one is perfect, that said how long was my idolatry diatribe on superduper? Moreover the the fact that you found an excellent alternative isn't that something that speaks well on the platform?

You might not have asked directly, but you did imply, and are still saying how us switchers who have been burned by m$ should still show interests in their products. Well, as in any relation there's a time sometimes when it gets so strained that you ditch it and simply not look back. I am not being a "sheep" here, I have found a platform that suits my needs and I am sticking to it without wasting time researching alternatives that could be better spent educating myself, spending time with friends and loved ones, or the better half, going on holidays, working etc. etc. Why is that being a ship? I am in a position of having chosen the best most integrated platform for my digital life which makes it possible for me to not be out in the open market constantly on the look out for better things because I simply now apple will deliver earlier than anyone the most innovative and functional items. Sure, I have got an ebook reader on the side and a non apple nas, but those are minimal additions.

That's what technology is supposed to do, complement and enable our lives, not having us serve it instead. I d much rather spent more time on my platform finetuning it and finding ways to make it more productive instead of wondering about reading reviews about mostly crap products by m$. I mean for crying out loud the people used a 7 piece burger to launch windoze in japan, they leaked some fugly prototypes of mice just before apple released their magic mouse, their zune hd add had half the e chopped off on the word "marketplace" appearing on the screen, they set a special team for their flag ship internet explorer only to turn out a product that is the worst browser in most all respects than opera, ff and safari, their visionary leader predicted the iphone to be a huge failure, while they promoted tv like 15 sec ads for their app models. These guys are pathetic, they dont merit my interest.

The fact that in a 10,000 or so organization a half decent copied software may turn up once in a while which isn't a complete failure, that doesn't mean that I don't have better things to be doing than bothering about them.
post #203 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

That's pretty much the point, isn't it? As far as I can tell, Win7 is suggesting very hard that you limit your involvement in the file system to Users\\<Username>. It makes complete sense. If you're using the computer to manage your files, then why are you going to put files elsewhere? The rest of the house shouldn't really be any of the users concern.

I think you've missed the point here. He wasn't talking about user documents, he was talking about application files, and the way Windows apps have the tendency to throw files around all over the place, including system directories, when they install. An .app and an .exe are two completely different things. An .app is actually a directory that contains the resources a program needs to run. Everything goes in there, or into a very few well defined locations on the system, that are not 'system' directories. Thus the reference to file chaos.

Quote:
To turn to your point about the GUI, then. It doesn't matter what's going on underneath as long as the operator can get done what he or she needs to do. I am not a developer or a tech nerd which puts me squarely in the significant proportion of the population who coulld care less about any of that.

Well, you care when you get a BSOD. What's going on underneath is just as important, in some ways, more important, that the GUI.
post #204 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Your the typical extremist that acutally hates everyone that doesn't agree with you.

I don't hate you, I pity you.
post #205 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It really isn't that hard to believe that people work on all platforms. Really this isn't Watergate. Even if someone doesn't own a Windows PC there are many Apple users that use Windows via bootcamp.

An internet forum is rarely a good example of what the public uses because its bias towards one side. It was even reported here that 85% of Apple users also use Windows. So the use of both is actually common not the other way around.

If you took the time to really read my post you will see it is directed at DaHarder, not the public at large. ... big difference.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #206 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I'm a Mac guy myself, but honestly I think it took alot of class and courage to say something like this.. it's a very respectful thing to do, especially in a market where this kind of comment can eat you alive.
Not very many people at microsoft would have the integrity to say something like this.. nor would anyone at apple.

On rare occasions, Apple actually has had complimentary things to say about Microsoft. It happens!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #207 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think you've missed the point here. He wasn't talking about user documents, he was talking about application files, and the way Windows apps have the tendency to throw files around all over the place, including system directories, when they install. An .app and an .exe are two completely different things. An .app is actually a directory that contains the resources a program needs to run. Everything goes in there, or into a very few well defined locations on the system, that are not 'system' directories. Thus the reference to file chaos.

"The rest of the house shouldn't really be any of the users concern."

while we limit the discussion to the GUI, which is what TFA was about, where an application puts its files is of zero relevance to me, as long as it works. For some reason, mac users have a difficult time with the idea that windows might actually just work. Which it does, for me, and has, for a long time.



Quote:
Well, you care when you get a BSOD. What's going on underneath is just as important, in some ways, more important, that the GUI.

who is getting a BSOD these days? I haven't seen anyone get one since.... 2006. And that was a failed piece of hardware. Nothing to do with windows
post #208 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Who didn't read?

"improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform"

very stable vista technology

ROFL

I have been having multiple problems with vista for 3 months now in Microsoft office for example functions too numerous to mention simply stopped working. There are so many bugs in Vista and its associated applications it is a joke. I have personally lost about 10 days of productive work because of this in the last Quarter and I have told my MIS dept. in great detail about them. Their attitude is "oh well" that is vista for you, so nothing has changed we still use this buggy unintuitive bloat ware and pretend to like it . I really hope the utility computing switch where applications running on vitual desktops comes asap and puts MS out of its misery. Go Google
post #209 of 214
A clearcut case of implausible deniability.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #210 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Presume Much?

Some of us own/work with Macs, Windows-based computers, as well as Linux systems equally.

It's a good way to remain objective in these matters, freeing us from rabid, unintelligible fan(atical) rants devoid of facts.

And your rabid, unintelligible rants are full of facts?
post #211 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

WOW great post! I have said the same time and time again. Well done and though out! :-)

Thanks. I think it deserves another post. Which I'll do in a second.
Look, Apples so called experience really is that good too though and why Redmond can't figure out an iLife package is unthinkable given the amount of resources. Perhaps they should by Acid from Sony who bought it from Sonic Foundry. Which I've produced several libraries from, and then hire someone to give it it's own flair, just like Apple did to emagics logic. The thing is though, Apple cares more about Garage Band than they do Logic and as you read in my post Apple has this fear, unfounded i may add, that anying semi pro, takes away from mac pro sales and that simply is not true. There used to be the G5 in the studios and then all the matte screen, white chin iMacs were in the other smaller studios and graphics but what happened when they switched over to intel was they realized that the iMac was so powerful for it's time, that they made glossy only to discourage graphic department, photogrphers, web designers and admin, I mean jobs himself said he saw an iMac in evey home if you watch the very first iMac keynote.

The problem was price to performance as we were at the days when AMD had the 1.0 ghz Athlon and for about three years, similar to Apple, Intel needed an EXTRA 900-1.0 ghz MORE just to benchmark the same as a slower athlon, plus intel had a lot of heat issues.

Still, the white leno chin iMac was great for secondary usage with creatives however, upon switching to intel, they now outclassed the G5 so Apple had to apple stop gaps be it no more matte or with MacBooks, terrible graphics.

Again, Apple simply refuses to accept that having an 8 core headless, with pcie slots and users choice of graphics card and ram, that they would make more money, not less. The Pro markets are dying. Even top artists are DIY types now Nd a lot use. Laptop.

Gamers ? Their sales are larger than all of video DVDs and music combined so they would be on board as so wouldn't the pros and prosumers. Apple would make a killing but they keep dealing machines they think the public wants Nd have yet to go after the largest chunck if money. It's foolish that the mac pro is made up of server parts in orde to keep you from upgrading your own ram as well as to keep prices high.

Apple needs to release a 16/32 core mac pro and an headless mid rangev$800 machine and make sure it flys as I say below, if you build. Hacntosh for $800 you have the benifit of the bios which allows you to over clock the front side bus and CPU reulting in fantastic results, all with air cooling.

The thing thst really slapped pros in the face was this though.
The white mb glu benchmarked at 70% but was useless for games or fps. Then a newer gpu came out. It benchmarked at 171% above a G5. Could you play games on it????? Nope. But you coud run motion and a few weeks later Apple releases a revised gpu and sure enough no more motion and it benchmarked OpenGL at 70% again. So did it affect consumers? No. Gamers? No. You still couldn't play games on it, but Apple was so paranoid about a few Proa using it for motion they went through the trouble of releasing anew hardware gou just in order to keep a few motion users from having something for$999 instead of $2000 when the reality is, a fast machine, decently priced and you will have a huge user base

the argument quality is out the door to as now even though designed in USA it's assembled else where.


Here is the other post. May seem redundant though but when you consider what they did to stop a few pros, those that kept them afloat preiphine, that apples one to one and pro care was bundled for $99 but now seperate, that one to one meant final cut or shake or logic training but now means iLife, .mac GONE, mm icon looks like windows, computers gone from the name, et-cetera, there a lot of things as a pro useer to be peeved about b


Ok ok the other post where I use Avid/ Digidesign as a company that got it and saw native computing as the future.


------------------------
I think what he means by limiting is you van build a system that has a graphic card, esata ports and connect to a hdmi monitor. My 24" HD looks awesome, has 1920x1200 and HDMI and that's how I have my mac connected. My MBPro 15". One of the last with the express slot. Google laptop UAD devices for audio and you'll see how important that alot really is to musicians.

The beauty though is while pystar has this new device that allows you to install a retail disk, they have a free script over at osx86 for FREE and the beauty about a hackntosh, which I still have, is that it never, ever kernal panics on me. But the real hidden beauty is that by default it still has a bios which means you can overclock both the ram and CPU resulting in performances that run circles around Apple high end all for $800
or so and that's with most features you could think of, blue tooth, iChat, esata pcie cards, FireWire and a fast graphics card and in time in addtion to over clocking, if you get the right motherboard, you can swap out a faster CPU when it comes out. Instead of having to buy a new machine. They even have boot screens that can act just like apple and the real kicker is, you can't tell your on a pc, the experience is seemles and works.

That said, I am glad a lot of IT firms, moms, enthusiasts will upgrade as this make apple release more priced fairly computers. I can also give a real life testimwnt to it as well.

When I tried out vista, I was already using mac most off the time.
I have HIGH END FIREWIRE audio devices. It took more than a year for a driver to come out that worked with Vista.
With Windows 7, I attached the device and it just worked. Hardly anything popped up. It just started working so expect all those gamers, prosumers, audio, video users to also upgrade or build a hackntosh, as Apple is missing the mark on the fastest growing segment ever. The prosumer. These are the next big bands, directors, editors, plus as I've already said, game sales are more than music and video combined yet Apple has this fear if they release a headless machine, that pros will buy them. And Apples right, they would, saving the mac pro for the bigger studios, you would see these mid range in studios B and C the same way I saw iMacs back in the day with the PowerPC in the main studio. What Apple fails to get is alll the gamers, prosumers they would hVe. Millions. But ahh, apple runs into a problem. These gamers and enthusiasts that make up more sales than video/music combined, also want fast graphic cards, ao Applw would have to support all these graphic carda and in their eyes. Lose money as they know their markup on ram and gpus are not in line with what you can really get for your dollar.


I say it's all good. Hopefully the courier is by Microsoft only marking the first ever microsoft pc and then maybe apple releases mid range headless and tablet.

In the end. We all win.

Peace.


Post 1 from this thread.
post #212 of 214
I am curious to know why the Windows fans out there are posting on these boards. If it is for sensible debate and discussion, that's cool - but bear in mind where you are (the clue is in the URL!). It appears though, that the majority of Windows fans are here to troll. Not good. Now there it appears that there are some fanboi's here that are feeding you, which is their own fault, but don't ruin it for everyone else.

FACT: This is an absolute PR cock-up! No doubt about it and the denial only goes to make things worse, because it make Microsoft look incompetent. It make it look as though they cannot communicate with each other. Windows fanbois, GET OVER IT! Apple will use these quotes in a keynote. It will be funny, but no-one will die as a result.
post #213 of 214
i like windows 7. it does look like the mac os, that i also like a lot.
post #214 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

I
People are raving about the Windows GUI, like children with a new toy, but the problem with Windows is that this GUI that's so good is still the front-end to something rather badly written and nasty. That, having the operating system and applications organized better, should be Microsoft's priority but I think the NT kernel is beyond the point of salvation.

Windows is just plain awful under the hood. No matter how much perfume you slap over a turd, it's still a turd.

Trust me when I say this, but you know next to nothing of the NT Kernel. Unless you have seen the source code with an NDA, you would never know that the NT Kernel is a very very elegant, simple, and powerful solution. The issues that you have with Windows is not the NT Kernel, it's the user-level architecture and possibly Win32. The NT Kernel enables some very advanced graphics capability that Snow Leopard still can't match.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X