or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X - Page 3

post #81 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If your going to quote someone you either have to quote everything or nothing. Anything in the middle is called lying.

No, lying is like when one claims to own Macs but doesn't.
post #82 of 214
I don't see how this is truely "news" since Win 3.1 went after the GUI of OS 6. But since Apple stole some pages from the Windows book along the road, I really don't see how it matters. (And why do they now include support for MS Exchange and Windows 7 on their devices? hmm...)

All you Apple fans, I hope you enjoy this little tid-bit. As for me, I really don't care. Apple, MS, Gnome, KDE, its all the same idea. I'm still waiting for a new way to look at files. None has happened since the GUI has been introduced... still a file structure tree. I'm talking about real innovation, not QuickLook, or CoverSheet views, and also not talking about BumpTop. I'm talking about a full scale re-model of the GUI. With touch devices out these days, there's a lot that can be done... sadly, we are still thinking "in the box". Apple is definitely included.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #83 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

how many Zune HD's are selling? havent heard much about that.

Funny you should ask. I just checked Amazon's top-selling electronics list today, and the Zune HD is a blazing hot 92nd on the top 100 list. Poor Apple has to settle for 2nd and 3rd with its iPod touch.
post #84 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Garish?

It looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell, like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

Eye-candy is supposed to be subtle and elegant, not Ringling Brothers meets Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

Ahhhh...

But the difference is that one can very easily modify/alter the appearance of almost ANY element of Windows, as opposed to the Mac OS which offers very little by way of 'customization' (of any sort).

Macs are little more than computing appliances, ones that cater to the absolute lowest common denominator of user e.g. those who want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them.

Me, I prefer a bit more involvement...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #85 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

they are a criminal organization...all they do is steal, their real business isn't software

if it were, then they'd use their money to write a decent operating system, they've had time since the release of windows 95...instead of spending it on sales

Not really criminal, but they WERE convicted.

Now that you mention it . . . this was funny:

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was called "evasive and nonresponsive" by a source present at a session in which Gates was questioned on his deposition.[2] He argued over the definitions of words such as "compete", "concerned", "ask", and "we".[3] BusinessWeek reported, "Early rounds of his deposition show him offering obfuscatory answers and saying 'I don't recall' so many times that even the presiding judge had to chuckle. Worse, many of the technology chief's denials and pleas of ignorance have been directly refuted by prosecutors with snippets of E-mail Gates both sent and received."[4] Intel Vice-President Steven McGeady, called as a witness, quoted Paul Maritz, a senior Microsoft vice president as having stated an intention to "extinguish" and "smother" rival Netscape Communications Corporation and to "cut off Netscape's air supply" by giving away a clone of Netscape's flagship product for free. The Microsoft executive denied the allegations.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

post #86 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

As opposed to VESA mounting an iMac which serves absolutely no purpose as you can't run a Blu-ray or PS3 on it- or anything else on it with HDMI for that matter. ANd then it's too far away to use as a work station hung up on a wall. And MS makes no sense?

No purpose? So those the only uses you can think of for vesa-mounting an iMac? Hanging it on a wall? What about putting it on a desktop-arm with a vesa mounting bracket?

I don't know about MS, but your posts certainly make no sense, as demonstrated above.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #87 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ahhhh...

Macs are little more than computing appliances,

Which is all they ever need to be.
post #88 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt View Post

Funny you should ask. I just checked Amazon's top-selling electronics list today, and the Zune HD is a blazing hot 92nd on the top 100 list. Poor Apple has to settle for 2nd and 3rd with its iPod touch.

... and McDonalds sells exponentially more burgers than The Rosebud Steakhouse, but there's very little doubt which one appeals to the more 'discriminating' consumer.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #89 of 214
Quote:

Garish?

It looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell, like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

Eye-candy is supposed to be subtle and elegant, not Ringling Brothers meets Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

just like OSX, if you spend your time wisely, install icon packs, new backdrops and such forth, you can actually have something that doesnt look like warmed up dog plop (win7) or 5year old dog plop (osx)
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #90 of 214
Quote:

Touch on the Surface (aka Big-Ass Table[TM]) works. For obvious reasons. Except consumers don't get one. Or even a really small one. Until Apple releases the Tablet.

As you know, Touch on an upright display while the user is sitting in front of it, at a table . . . not so much. Apple put touch controls where they belong. On their notebook touchpads, on the mouse, and on their handhelds (one-handed operation FTW.)

If MS wanted to pull a Star Trek LCARS interface thingy, this isn't the way to do it.

If we all worked while standing, it would be a diferent story. Until your feet get tired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5g19Nn4Cc

I know. I was referring to gorilla part. That was funny I almost dropped out of the chair

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #91 of 214
Quote:

As opposed to VESA mounting an iMac which serves absolutely no purpose as you can't run a Blu-ray or PS3 on it- or anything else on it with HDMI for that matter. ANd then it's too far away to use as a work station hung up on a wall. And MS makes no sense?

VESA does not have to be just 'hung on wall'. There are many different uses for VESA mount. Swivel, extend, raise, lower tilt, etc.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #92 of 214
Quote:

Which is all they ever need to be.

That's fine as there will always be those who prefer the more utilitarian/mundane to that offering other attributes (customization/infinitely greater software selection/BluRay player-recorders/ etc.).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #93 of 214
Quote:

... and McDonalds sells exponentially more burgers than The Rosebud Steakhouse, but there's very little doubt which one appeals to the more 'discriminating' consumer.

cos they are as comparable as two computers using the same GPU, same CPU, same memory, same HDD, etc...

perhaps Rosebud steakhouse is blending mcdonalds nad serving it in a fancy aluminium enclosure?
post #94 of 214
Quote:

Macs are little more than computing appliances, ones that cater to the absolute lowest common denominator of user e.g. those who want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them.

That's why we buy them in the first place...ease of use and hassle free.

I'd also say your in the minority of PC users. I bet the vast majority of PC users buy one because they too "want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them"
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #95 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I just wish I could enjoy the Mac OS X GUI on a nice shiny, quad-core, 27 inch iMac. *looks in wallet, sighs.*

I guess I'll have to "settle" for my 8 month old 24 incher.

Monitor envy. The new replacement for that "other" envy based on size.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #96 of 214
Nothing new for me.

Those photocopiers were made out of one big piece of SH!T
post #97 of 214
[QUOTE=knightlie;1518941]Touch-control on a desktop computer is pointless and overrated. The ability to reach over my desk and touch the screen instead of using a mouse or touchpad is unnecessary and considerably more difficult. It'll also very quickly result in painful injury. [/quopte]

You must be a special type pf person if you think that the sole input will ever be by touchscreen on any computer. painful injury, lol.

Ever had kids? Ever seen kids playing with touchscreen computers? what abotu a touchscrene computer in a kitchen - fantastic things.

Quote:
It's only slightly more useful on a notebook and is perfectly suited to handheld devices. The failure of the tablet PC format shows that touch-screens are not needed for general use.

the failure of tablet PC's is that they used to be too expensive for the general public to purcahse.

Quote:
The touch-screen abilities of Windows 7 are just more Microsoft Kool-aid, of which you seem to have been drinking a long and deep draught.

They are a start, but hardware needs to catch up first.
post #98 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Can you define exactly what that means? My Mac is as 'flexible" as I need it to be. What exactly is inflexible and restricted on OSX?

Neither am I on my Mac - again, define what this means, instead of using the same old anti-Apple soundbites - what "control?"

So what? Flash is a steaming pile of manure, good only for playing ads and Youtube. I don't use it and I don't miss it.

I have a few, yes, but I power up my PC or Wii if I want to play any serious games. OSX isn't a gaming platform any more than my Motorola V220 is a smartphone, but I don't whine that I can't get applications on it. Again, the games argument is just a tired old anti-Apple soundbite that serious users don't care about.

True, but simple and free security tools will largely prevent this.

Touch-control on a desktop computer is pointless and overrated. The ability to reach over my desk and touch the screen instead of using a mouse or touchpad is unnecessary and considerably more difficult. It'll also very quickly result in painful injury. It's only slightly more useful on a notebook and is perfectly suited to handheld devices. The failure of the tablet PC format shows that touch-screens are not needed for general use.

The touch-screen abilities of Windows 7 are just more Microsoft Kool-aid, of which you seem to have been drinking a long and deep draught.

Here you answered you own questions -now live in it:

Quote:
Flash is a steaming pile of manure, good only for playing ads and Youtube. I don't use it and I don't miss it.

You're not getting the whole web experience when the web uses flash. You are under Apple's control and you embrace it which is the sad thing and berate the other 90% of its users.
You can go back to your Apple drip now- red I presume as green is owned by the Beatles.
post #99 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

VESA does not have to be just 'hung on wall'. There are many different uses for VESA mount. Swivel, extend, raise, lower tilt, etc.

Why aren't those features built into the iMac's neck to begin with like any $500 Dell?
post #100 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Kind of pathetic...but at least they are honest.

Apple = leading edge

Microsoft = trailing edge

Same as it ever was.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #101 of 214
Well, that's Micro$oft for ya,

Always looking to cop a feel.
post #102 of 214
Quote:

Why aren't those features built into the iMac's neck to begin with like any $500 Dell?

Because they need such a slender neck to show you how big their heads are. With VESA, you could look like normal!
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #103 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

perhaps Rosebud steakhouse is blending mcdonalds nad serving it in a fancy aluminium enclosure?

I 'd.
post #104 of 214
Microsoft - "Windows 7: Mac OS X for the rest of us"

That said it comes close, but falls short. Microsoft didn't copy enough.
post #105 of 214
Quote:

Ahhhh...

But the difference is that one can very easily modify/alter the appearance of almost ANY element of Windows, as opposed to the Mac OS which offers very little by way of 'customization' (of any sort).

Are you serious? Being able to reconfigure the colors and appearance of your desktop, windows, and various controls is how you judge the computing experience on a given platform?

Sometimes I wonder why some people even bother to own computers.
post #106 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post

Hmmm.. I see Windows7 looking more like Linux than MacOSX.
The taskbar doesn't look anything like Mac's dock.

I agree with you.

I'd say MS was trying to provide OSX-sort-of-experience but they didn't copy OSX Dock - they went a bit different, and in some aspects better way.

New Windows Superbar to me looks like synergy of Vista's (and older Windows) Quicklaunch and Takskbar - with a few more goodies thrown in.
post #107 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

they are a criminal organization...all they do is steal, their real business isn't software

As opposed to Apple which is a fascist party - all they do is dictate what people can do with their OS (which g can only be put on their glossy-screened, shiny hardware)

OS X? - based on BSD.. bunch of copy-cats! Oh no wait, I forget, Apple is allowed to copy, because Apple spells copy: i-n-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n

Get over yourselves. MS saw which parts of OS X are effective and employed those - like every other company does. IMHO Win7 window management is better than on OS X, being able to enlarge windows from every corner, and the new Win7 drag-to-extents feature.

Bah, all this GUI stuff is copied from Xerox anyway.
post #108 of 214
I'm a Mac guy myself, but honestly I think it took alot of class and courage to say something like this.. it's a very respectful thing to do, especially in a market where this kind of comment can eat you alive.
Not very many people at microsoft would have the integrity to say something like this.. nor would anyone at apple.
post #109 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When it looked to redesign its dominant operating system after the struggles of Windows Vista, Microsoft reportedly turned to Apple's Mac OS X for the "look and feel" of Windows 7.

Simon Aldous, partner group manager with Microsoft, told PCR that the graphical style of Windows 7 -- which he calls "Vista on steroids" -- was inspired by the look of Apple's Mac OS X. The new Windows operating system launched in October.

"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it's very graphical and easy to use," Aldous said. "What weve tried to do with Windows 7 -- whether it's traditional format or in a touch format -- is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics. We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

One of the more obvious similarities between Windows 7 and Mac OS X is the new taskbar. By default, the Windows 7 taskbar acts much like the dock that has been in OS X, combining program applications for both launching and accessing open windows, with only one icon per running application. And like Expose with the OS X dock, Windows 7 allows users to glimpse open windows on the taskbar before selecting them with Aero Peek.

The similarities between Windows 7 and Apple's latest operating system upgrade, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, were noted by The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg in his review of the Microsoft software. He said he believes that the Mac OS is still the superior operating system, but only slightly.

Snow Leopard had a head-start on Windows 7, launching in late August to positive reviews that praised the software's performance improvements and bargain $29 price. Consumers also responded positively to Mac OS X 10.6, with initial sales doubling that of its predecessor, Leopard, and coming in four times higher than Tiger.

For more comparing and contrasting Windows 7 with Snow Leopard, read the AppleInsider Windows 7 vs. Mac OS X Snow Leopard series.

This is news? Cmon AI, I think most of us are aware that Apple is Microsoft's R&D center...
post #110 of 214
Quote:

Think about it.

He just admitted the competition is "fantastic." I don't know about you, but he just did Apple's marketing for them. And he was asked about Windows 7, not Apple. If that weren't bad enough, he also admitted that they tried to "create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics."

Double-whammy. He basically admitted that MS are ripoff artists. Way to feed in to the classic MS stereotypes, which apparently have been true all along.

It seems that every time an MS employee speaks (especially Ballmer - the CEO, even more scary), they make Apple look great. Even the Laptop Hunter ads admitted subtly that Macs were the most desirable product.

"What weve tried to do with Windows 7 -- whether it's traditional format or in a touch format -- is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics."

So then WTH is the point of Windows 7 when you can get the Real Thing with a Mac??

Smooth move, Ace.

And he also noticed vista is more stable and reliable than OSX. What he actually said is "We took good idea and implemented it with better core product", which is hardly flattering to Apple.

Strange how that part didn't really stick to your observation.
post #111 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post

As opposed to Apple which is a fascist party - all they do is dictate what people can do with their OS (which g can only be put on their glossy-screened, shiny hardware)

OS X? - based on BSD.. bunch of copy-cats! Oh no wait, I forget, Apple is allowed to copy, because Apple spells copy: i-n-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n

Get over yourselves. MS saw which parts of OS X are effective and employed those - like every other company does. IMHO Win7 window management is better than on OS X, being able to enlarge windows from every corner, and the new Win7 drag-to-extents feature.

Bah, all this GUI stuff is copied from Xerox anyway.

I really think political comparisons like this are pretty lame.. it kind of says "I don't actually know anything about fascism, I just call anything I don't like a facist".

You see the big difference here is if you don't like what apple offers you, you can just not buy it! You have a "CHOICE".. thats called democracy.
post #112 of 214
What's the big deal? I fully expect all developers from any company to check out the competition and take on board their best concepts. If they didn't do this the company would not last long. The trick is not to just reverse engineer something but look at what's actually good about it, improve on it and build that into your software in a way that differentiates your product.
post #113 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Are you serious? Being able to reconfigure the colors and appearance of your desktop, windows, and various controls is how you judge the computing experience on a given platform?

Sometimes I wonder why some people even bother to own computers.

Exactly. What's the point in being able to customise a personal computer... doesn't make any sense!
post #114 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Exactly. What's the point in being able to customise a personal computer... doesn't make any sense!

I can't think of anything less important, or more a waste of my time, that I could do on a computer than twiddle with the window colors.
post #115 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

What's the big deal? I fully expect all developers from any company to check out the competition and take on board their best concepts. If they didn't do this the company would not last long. The trick is not to just reverse engineer something but look at what's actually good about it, improve on it and build that into your software in a way that differentiates your product.

I really agree with this comment..

There is never gonna be another Led Zeppelin, all you can do is just rip them off.

Steve Jobs has whole heartedly said in a number of interviews that todays apple wouldn't exist without Bill Gates.
post #116 of 214
Quote:

He realized partway through that he might just have been a little too honest for an MS emnployee, and then added:

Weve significantly improved the graphical user interface, but its built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance.

If he had any presence of mind to begin with, he would never have even mentioned Apple.

It looks more like Linux? Super. Except Gomer Pyle there said it looks more like OS X. What difference does it make what *you* think it looks like, when he, representing MS, just announced publcily that it looks lke OS X and that MS ripped off Apple.

So you see him as mindless person but still will quote him with great pleasure - just because he said something you need to hear?

While number the reviews and comparisons on the net - like this one, http://arstechnica.com/software/news...-7-taskbar.ars, keep saying a bit different story, but hey - that is not what you really want to be told, so lets just ignore them all..?

Strange.
post #117 of 214
Which ever way you look at it, the new windows 7 is a good thing. Keeps the OS ball moving...

If they'd released another Vista, why would Leopard need to change? If they had to copy Apple then so be it...
post #118 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

lmao to both the original comment and the reply

Perhaps. And by no means am I an Microsoft apologist. That said if it were not for some of the new Microsoft ads, rumors of a msft only, non OEM "Courier" and Windows 7 selling so well, while we don't know for sure, but we may not have seen quad iMacs and price cuts not to mention $29 for SL.

I still think Apple has holes in their offerings. No express slots except on 17" which is used by audio/video prosumers and it wouldn't have hurt to see them in the iMacs as well as eSata ports, something else semi pros use. Apple would have sold millions of them. Just lookat any video or audio website for recording avid/protools were smart enough to know they were losing money in the pro tools area, so they bought M-Audio. And gaming? Gamers out buy both music and video, DVDs combined. It's just sad that apple can't make a decent, fair priced machine for the semi pro, heck they even took away FireWire for a while and all the fanboys said it was a space issue. It's not. Any time you see a great or in apple term great gpu on a laptop, expect no FireWire as they don't want you running final cut on it, thus the lack of matte option. And then of course there is the missing mid range, headless mac pro.
We can only hope Microsoft does well and maybe the Courier is real as we need Apple to STOP worrying about losing pro user sales. Don't they get they will more than make that up 10 fold?? You would have every gamer, semi pro musician, video and enthusiast buying these machines not to mention increases in marketshare.

One day I suppose. One day.

Peace.
post #119 of 214
Quote:

Aside from rotating which is so simple anyway and the raise and lower issue, there are also some 3rd party rotating bases if you really need that. The point is that VESA mounting eliminates the base altogether as in my under the upper kitchen cabinet mounting project.

post #120 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

big deal

one time i read a book about famous buildings throughout history and every single one from the Parthenon to the Temple Mount has it's roots in other buildings nearby. Not one was an original design.

everyone always borrows from someone else

But it gets kind of old when the same person always borrows from the same person ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X