or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Arg! X-Files is Ending

Arg! X-Files is Ending

post #1 of 26
<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/17/xfiles.reut/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/17/xfiles.reut/index.html</a>

That's right, as of May there will be no more X-files. Oh God no!

Oh, well. In a couple years I'll be able to pick up all nine seasons and the mlovie on DVD on the cheap. I've never seen the first two seasons. I wonder what they'll belike.
post #2 of 26
This is a good thing.

The last couple of seasons have really been bad. It's good that they are killing it off when it still hasn't turned completely sour.
post #3 of 26
Don't mourn. I was a long time X-files guy but stopped watching this year because of the declining quality . It should have ended last year, but greed kept it going.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #4 of 26
I'm a big time x-files fan, and this is a good thing. Somehow the show went from creapy and filled with conspiracies to more of a soap opera.
i am monkey
i am monkey
post #5 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:
<strong> I've never seen the first two seasons. I wonder what they'll belike.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check them out.. good stuff!
i am monkey
i am monkey
post #6 of 26
yup. I think it's a good thing that they are ending it. It seemed like the quality went down severly after the movie.
I'm not living... I'm just killing time.
post #7 of 26
<a href="http://www.jumpedtheshark.com/x/xfiles/xfiles6.htm" target="_blank">http://www.jumpedtheshark.com/x/xfiles/xfiles6.htm</a>

I just love this website!

Jeff

Edit-better link

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
post #8 of 26
I *used* to watch the X-Files, but the past 2 or 3 seasons have been soo boring. Alien impregnation after impregnation. Mulder is missing, oh wait, there he is, OH NO that was an alien! It did become a boring soap opera.

I'll keep my Season 1 & 2 DVDs because that was when the show was at it's best IMHO. I liked the whole creepy paranormal investigatory aspect of the show, but they seemed to drop that in favour of other boring things.

Oh well, Seinfeld did it best when he realized his show was on top of it's game and he decided to shut it down right then and there. That way every episode was good.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Ybot ]</p>
Registered 2001? My God has it been that long?!
Registered 2001? My God has it been that long?!
post #9 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by Ybot:

<strong>Oh well, Seinfeld did it best when he realized his show was on top of it's game and he decided to shut it down right then and there. That way every episode was good. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Except for the last one. Boy, did the finale stink.
shooby doo, shooby doo
shooby doo, shooby doo
post #10 of 26
[quote]Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
<strong>

Except for the last one. Boy, did the finale stink.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yup.... pure irony. eh?
post #11 of 26
Replace "Arg!" with "Thank God; it's about time --that show lived well past its prime to descend into the murky depths of Suckville", then I'll agree with you.

SdC

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #12 of 26
I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and am almost done w/ season 1. I had never watched X-Files before. Some of my favorites from season 1 are E.B.E. and Ice (kinda like the movie "The Thing").

BTW, does anyone know what seaosn the movie is supposed to follow?
post #13 of 26
I haven't watched it in years. It used to be good but I think it's pretty bad now.
post #14 of 26
I agree with all you guys here on this. The show has lost its purpose and footing and has been aimlessly sludging around for a good two years or more.

Although, I totally dig Doggett and Reyes and wouldn't mind seeing just a regular, less sci-fi show based on their characters. They make a good combo and Reyes is hot.

But the whole Mulder/Scully thing, the conspiracy stuff, the "is he or isn't he?" plotlines, etc. simply ran their course.

Yes, after the feature film a few years ago tidied up and answered so many questions, the show really didn't seem to have reason to exist. They had to find new "bad guys" and stuff, and it just got silly.

"Soap opera" is a perfect word for it.

I think they should've ended it 2 years ago. But it was/is a quality show that changed television and contributed greatly to pop culture and entertainment.

Most TV shows should be that well written, clever and watchable. They had a good, solid run and now it's time to move on.

Gillian might be looking for work. If she needs a place to crash for a while...

She can bring Reyes too and I'll be the peanut butter in a Scully/Reyes sandwich.

post #15 of 26
hahaha... jumping the shark. I thought it was a clever eupemism for... never mind.
post #16 of 26
The X-Files went into steady decline after the movie. It should have stopped there.
post #17 of 26
Again, after which season are you supposed to watch the movie?
post #18 of 26
They need to put out a book "X-Files for Dummies" and bundle it with the complete season of the X-Files on DVD.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #19 of 26
NewFlash: X-Files has been over for a long time. It has sucked for at least 3 years.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #20 of 26
I just post cause I read 10-Files. It's Apple's fault.
post #21 of 26
It is time for Chris Carter to bow out and leave well enough alone. What started out in 1993 as the greatest show on tv has grown long in the tooth. It is now time to try and salvage what he can and explain the alien conspiracy and let us move along to watch the reruns of the original seasons of greatness. (seasons 1-5 imho).
"Blessed is the rebel..for without him there would be no progress"
Hugh Hefner
"Blessed is the rebel..for without him there would be no progress"
Hugh Hefner
post #22 of 26
w00t! (got I love that term )

THe show went to hell after they moved out of Vancouver (actually before that).
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
post #23 of 26
Thank god it will make room for something else that I won't watch on TV.

may that arsehole Duchovny fade into a bitter obscurity

I'll never forget all the times he has been such an arogant jerk, everytime I would have the displeasure of seeing him do something outside of his bad acting..

These people forget that they are only actors . . .for G-ds sake --I mean they're actors!!!!!! . . . my plumber deserves far more praise and glory, so does the woman at the local Giant Eagle Grocery store baggin my food for 7 bucks an hour!!!!!
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #24 of 26
Somewhat of a tangent, but if you're at all curious, it's looking like X-Files will be replaced by a new show from the guy that did Buffy. It's tentatively called "Firefly," and it would definitely classify as a Sci-Fi show.

Carter is also hoping on getting one or two more X-Files feature length movies in the theatres in the next few years, but that's still up in the air. It'll be hard if they can't drive up interest in the show for the rest of its run.

Hey, I guess this qualifies as the first bit of insider info I've posted here.
post #25 of 26
Horned Frog, the movie is between seasons 5 and 6. Fight the Future is more of a stand alone episode than a link between seasons.

Season 5 on DVD is out 5/14/02. A strong season, then half-way through season 6 is when the show starts its death spiral.
post #26 of 26
[quote] X-Files will be replaced by a new show from the guy that did Buffy. <hr></blockquote>

AAARGH.... that is the worst shite possible. . . .not even when you try to get in to its 'irony' can it be enjoyable . . . . I'd rather argue with ScottH...
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Arg! X-Files is Ending