or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils browser-based iTunes Preview

Apple unveils browser-based iTunes Preview

post #1 of 61
Apple has updated links generated via iTunes to direct to a Web site called iTunes Preview, which gives customers the option to view content without launching the application.

Links to an iTunes Preview page can be obtained through the iTunes Store "Copy Link" feature. Previously, users who did not have iTunes installed were prompted to do so in order to view content. Now, users can share music links via iTunes without the need to launch Apple's media suite.

The iTunes Preview page allows browsing of artists and albums on Apple's Web site. Artist biographies and similar acts can be viewed, as well as details on song prices and individual track lengths.

The new Web page also offers album reviews and customer reviews, just like is provided in the iTunes application. Content can also be browsed by genre.

Song previews, however, can not be listened to through iTunes Preview in a Web browser. The page offers links to "View in iTunes," where it can be previewed or purchased. Currently, the service only works with music.

iTunes Preview is region-less, and makes for a less intrusive option for those who do not have iTunes installed, or do not want to launch the application.

In September, Apple released iTunes 9, adding iPhone application management, iTunes LPs, and a redesigned iTunes Store. The layout update includes new artist, movie and TV pages, complete with improved navigation.

In October, Apple updated iTunes to version 9.0.2 to allow connectivity with the newly released Apple TV 3.0. Users can now view iTunes LP and iTunes Extras content via their Apple TV.
post #2 of 61
Apple has been working with the web a lot as of late. This seems like it will be very useful being that it is web-based, perfect for those people who don't have iTunes installed on their computer yet (shame on you...).

Apple Forever!! 
iPhone 4 32GB (black), iPod touch 32GB, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB, iPod classic 80 GB (white) 160GB (black), 2x 5th gen iPod 30GB (black + white), iMac 27", MacBook Pro 17", Time Capsule 1TB, Apple TV
iPhone 4 32GB (black), iPod touch 32GB, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB, iPod classic 80 GB (white) 160GB (black), 2x 5th gen iPod 30GB (black + white), iMac 27", MacBook Pro 17", Time Capsule 1TB, Apple TV
post #3 of 61
Is it just me or is the image provided by AI in the article down?

If it is just me can someone provide an alternative link? Thanks.

Edit : Seems to be fixed now.
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post

Is it just me or is the image provided by AI in the article down?

If it is just me can someone provide an alternative link? Thanks.

Just you.

http://images.macworld.com/images/ne...w_original.png
post #5 of 61
Wonder if you can download media from the web version. If so how are
they going to block Palm from their site?
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
post #6 of 61
Anyone know why some articles have a link at the bottom of them that lets you see the original story (with pictures and links), but some do not.....like this one? Where is the [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ] link?
post #7 of 61
A tad pointless, who doesn't have iTunes? Seriously, those that don't would never buy from the service so whats the point?
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Just you.

http://images.macworld.com/images/ne...w_original.png

Thanks, mate.
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

A tad pointless, who doesn't have iTunes? Seriously, those that don't would never buy from the service so whats the point?

Maybe they have an idea that's going to build on it, but they're not ready to show their hand yet?
post #10 of 61
People who are thinking of buying an iphone, itablet but want to see what apps are available before they do.

They might not need itunes at that time.
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Unless I'm missing your sarcasm. It's the syncing that Apple took issue with, not the use of the songs iTunes holds.
post #12 of 61
Yup pointless, unless there is some future developments to this story that we don't know about, having a list of songs on line, which you have to launch itunes to prview (and purchase?) is just silly. They could be trying to compete with amazon's MP3 service, but I still think it is way easier to just launch itunes, than navigate to a website and have limited functionality.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #13 of 61
Quote:

Not everyone likes having iTunes launch just because they clicked a link. The time it takes to load up generally means I don't bother looking at whatever was linked. I just move on.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple makes the iTunes store more and more web-based -- eventually adding in-browser sampling and purchasing. There'd be little point in switching to html5 within iTunes if they weren't moving this way.
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Now, users can share music links via iTunes without the need to launch Apple's media suite.

Does this mean that iTunes users can share access to their content with others (i.e. something like iWork.com)?
post #15 of 61
Quote:

There are lots of "points" if you think about it. Some are even mentioned in the article itself, which you apparently didn't read.
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yup pointless, unless there is some future developments to this story that we don't know about, having a list of songs on line, which you have to launch itunes to prview (and purchase?) is just silly. They could be trying to compete with amazon's MP3 service, but I still think it is way easier to just launch itunes, than navigate to a website and have limited functionality.

This is all true if you are an American living in the USA with iTunes already installed. If you think about it a bit more you might see that this description doesn't cover everyone.
post #17 of 61
So, it's new site called iTunes Preview that specifically does not offer song previews? Hmmm ...
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

There are lots of "points" if you think about it. Some are even mentioned in the article itself, which you apparently didn't read.

Actually I did read the article, I can see no benefit in this at all. To purchase/listen or interact with the content in anyway you need to launch iTunes.

I am sorry, but apart from the fact that you could potentially follow an iTunes link without opening the application (and once again cannot even listen or "preview" the track or moive etc containted within said link) I stick by my comment, I do not see the point of this.

No one who does not already have iTunes on their PC/Mac would have any need of this.

If you feel I am wrong then highlight some reasons that I am.
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Comparing the image in the article it looks like they are trying to compete with someone else. I think it is fair since we are always bashing Microsoft for copying Mac OS that we shoud point out who is being copied this time. The link below is for the same artist on zune.net

http://social.zune.net/album/Lightni...2a3933/details
post #20 of 61
Apple needs to make iTunes store browser based.

This preview hybrid is annoying. Also easier to just go into Amazon and buy a song than open up iTunes just for shopping media.
post #21 of 61
hah! someone at AI a Lightnight Bolt fan?
post #22 of 61
Quote:

well, if I want to look at something on my work PC for example I couldn't do that before, now I can.
post #23 of 61
Looks like Cupertino got some photocopiers in action. Looks like the Zune website but without the Zune Pass.
post #24 of 61
Quote:

Actually I did read the article, I can see no benefit in this at all. To purchase/listen or interact with the content in anyway you need to launch iTunes.

I am sorry, but apart from the fact that you could potentially follow an iTunes link without opening the application (and once again cannot even listen or "preview" the track or moive etc containted within said link) I stick by my comment, I do not see the point of this.

No one who does not already have iTunes on their PC/Mac would have any need of this.

See my response to "sheff" on the same topic.

It's not worth arguing about.

You are making a negative knee-jerk reaction to something without really thinking about it, and I'm just dumping on you for being foolish.

No one wants to read stuff like that.
post #25 of 61
Sounds good- Anything to free up the bloatware know as iTunes. Hopefully they remove them from iTunes itself.
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

This preview hybrid is annoying. Also easier to just go into Amazon and buy a song than open up iTunes just for shopping media.

Not to mention the dreaded beach ball of death.
post #27 of 61
Quote:

I don't have iTunes installed on my PC at work, only on my iMac at home. I suspect many people are in the same situation (with their work PCs).

This is an excellent idea for being able to follow iTunes links when you're at the office or otherwise away from home or using a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed.

In addition, as Roc Ingersol already mentioned, loading iTunes up takes so long that I frequently ignore iTunes links, even at home where I have iTunes installed. That point was also made in the original article: "and makes for a less intrusive option for those who do not have iTunes installed, or do not want to launch the application."

So that's a couple of "points" for you already, and it doesn't take much imagination to think of more.
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not to mention the dreaded beach ball of death.

I thought this new version of iTunes was supposed to fix that. Mine's still just as slow. And that's not even talking about when I plug my iPod in.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I thought this new version of iTunes was supposed to fix that. Mine's still just as slow. And that's not even talking about when I plug my iPod in.

That plus when I play a song the preview box in the lower left corner shows a different album than what's playing. Go figure. I wish the store was ripped out of iTunes and you could purchase like at Amazon with direct download to it. It's an elephant now.
post #30 of 61
Quote:

This is good. Sometimes you want to check to see if a new movie is available, or the latest episode of a tv show is out yet, but you don't need to launch itunes. Its not a big deal, but its nice to have.
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrad92 View Post

So, it's new site called iTunes Preview that specifically does not offer song previews? Hmmm ...

Nicely said! Hard not to think that previews and purchasing (even without itunes) are coming soon to everyone's browser.
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

The article answers your question.

No, you'll have to go to iTunes to listen or purchase.
post #33 of 61
Quote:

I'm not sure what problem that solves.

If you're going to use iTunes to manage your library, listen to tracks, etc., what's the benefit of buying the tracks from your browser?
post #34 of 61
Quote:

Apple needs to make iTunes store browser based....

iTunes is already essentially a web browser. All the pages you see in the iTunes store are web pages and all the underlying technology is web-based. They *could* just put it all up in a regular browser but they don't because they don't think it's a good idea. So it's not like they haven't thought of it.

I would think that this latest development is related to the world-wide expansion. If you are not in the right country (and usually that means the USA), a posted link to an itunes track or an app is a complete fail. Addressing that problem is probably at least a part of the reason behind this move.
post #35 of 61
Quote:

Perhaps the "whole point" is to encourage those without iTunes installed to "get on board".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Slowness in iTunes (assuming nothing is broken on your computer), is usually because every time it starts it has to go through your media library.

The base factors are usually the size of your library in Gigabytes, the speed of your hard disk, the cache size on your hard disk and/or corrupt media in the library.

Even recent Mac Pros have shipped with hard drives with only 8MB of cache. If you are really into collecting a lot of media, you have to get some fast HD's with a big cache or even move to a striped RAID. This is just the way things are when it comes to huge media file sizes and the limitations of hard disks.
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Perhaps the "whole point" is to encourage those without iTunes installed to "get on board".

Another good "point," is that it's possible that in being on the web instead of in the browser that it won't be long that the iTunes preview for a title is the first hit in a google search me thinks.
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sounds good- Anything to free up the bloatware know as iTunes. Hopefully they remove them from iTunes itself.

TechDud ... Let's see now, you don't like iTunes ... you don't like iPhone's carrier ... you don't like iMac's glossy screen ... you don't like iMac's lack of blue ray .... but yet your tagline reads : once you go Mac, you never go back.

Sounds to me you're either a liar or just confused .... which is it?
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

TechDud ... Let's see now, you don't like iTunes ... you don't like iPhone's carrier ... you don't like iMac's glossy screen ... you don't like iMac's lack of blue ray .... but yet your tagline reads : once you go Mac, you never go back.

Sounds to me you're either a liar or just confused .... which is it?

Neither - try perfectionist.
post #40 of 61
Quote:

Maybe, if you insist on closing iTunes every time you don't listen to music. But who does?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils browser-based iTunes Preview