or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 221
Both Apple and Microsoft make good products and some stinkers. The greatest thing about them is that they are innovators and provide many jobs for Americans and people around the world either directly or indirectly.
post #42 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah not that Steve Jobs has ever done anything wrong you know like facing a security fraud lawsuit.

Not that anyone was suggesting as much. Microsoft's shenanigans at the antitrust trial have been mentioned, but not the extreme anticompetitive arrogance that got the attention of the DoJ in the first place. Probably the quote that has always best summarized this attitude for me:

Quote:
I take much of what [Bill Gates] says with a grain of salt because Bill would like to be ... the center of gravity for the whole world. He's totally dedicated to his work and will do virtually anything to kill the rest of us ... Bill Gates can be your partner and be your enemy at the same time.
--ROBERT ALLEN, Chairman, AT&T

Of course there are more. Dozens more.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #43 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Thievery"? "False evidence"? Those are pretty serious charges: DoJ never found that. "Monopoly?" Of course. I already alluded to that. But the point of my original post was, what matters now is what he has done with his monopoly rents

FWIW, the judge in the antitrust trial was prepared to find Microsoft in contempt for supplying falsified evidence. They absolutely did supply falsified evidence to the court, a fact that has never been in dispute. This was all just symptomatic of a company culture that dictated that they were always meant to win every time, against any foe, at any cost, no matter what. This point of view came straight from Bill Gates. Illegalities aside, this attitude may have served them well for a time, but I think over the course of decades has poisoned the company's culture quite deeply.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #44 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Say what you will about his company and his products, but Bill Gates is a classy guy. Always has been. You also have to recognize the dramatic good that his money (and the money that Warren Buffett decided to entrust him with) is doing. I recognize that his wealth came from a monopoly, but so what: it could have been put to far worse uses (e.g.,buying sports teams and fiddling around with entrepreneurial trivia).

You mean like Paul Allen?
post #45 of 221
There's a difference between Windows and DOS? I never knew that.
post #46 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The fact is we could all sit here and post all day on the lawsuits filed against both Apple and Microsoft. Its rather pointless and not even what this article was about.

An antitrust law violation charge is not just a lawsuit. Microsoft has faced many of these, and to my knowledge, hasn't won a single one. Which means they have been serial violators of the law, and quite unrepentantly so. I realize that this is not what the article is about, but someone claimed that Bill Gates is a classy guy -- which if you know his history, you'd never say.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #47 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

it's called the ignore list- you can surely figure out how to use it and ease your pain.

No, because other people quote the silly Dud comments, so they show up anyway.
post #48 of 221
Bill gates never benefitted from making the sort of colossal mistakes that Steve Jobs did. There was a little bit of wandering around in the desert for Jobs.

Microsoft got so powerful, so successful so quickly - it would be hard for them not to think that whatever they touched would turn to gold. They have so much money, they must think they just have to do something with it - anything with it.

Jobs likely remembers that a few colossal mistakes - a little misplaced arrogance - can lay you pretty low. I'm not saying he's not arrogant now, it's just not as often misplaced.

Microsoft's blunders have been gi-friggin-normous, but never fatal. At least not yet. Blundering themselves out of the mobile market was dumb. Pink was dumb. Zune was dumb. Vista was 'no-hands-on-deck' dumb, but XBOX seems to be working (And I was among those who thought it probably wouldn't). The thing is, it seems like a near-fatal accident is what it would take for MS to learn to pare everything down to what's actually important. If they don't have one soon, then slowly the 'big but not fatal' errors are going to slowly erode MS's power until they wake up one day and wonder what the hell happened.

Early failures are what teach you how to handle the power of success - this is why spoiled children who are sheltered from such failures rarely exceed their parents.
post #49 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Both Apple and Microsoft make good products and some stinkers. The greatest thing about them is that they are innovators and provide many jobs for Americans and people around the world either directly or indirectly.

Finally something that makes sense and isn't a personal attack on some else's opinion!!!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #50 of 221
Bill has matured over the years, of course it's taken him a long time, longer than the average male, which is long enough to begin with.

He was gracious here and you got to give it to him.

As for that obese creep Balmer, well...
post #51 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And you never hear him bringing politics into his company.

Oh, yes you do. Microsoft has been big in contributions to Republicans in Congress and the White House over the years, pushing to get favorable legislation. Do you think it's a coincidence that after Bush took office, the Justice Department backed off the monopoly case against Microsoft, and offered a very mild punishment to settle the case?
post #52 of 221
What Bill is really saying is Apple will suffer greatly when Steve leaves.
post #53 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

its like we're hamsters running on a treadmill trying to get through to Teckdud. Painful.

Well, that's exactly what he wants. There really is no point in trying to use reason with him. He's just here to be disruptive, like the thread yesterday where he kept making nonsense posts about Al Gore and other stuff unrelated to the thread until he finally hooked someone into responding. If you respond to him at all, you might as well just keep it to ridicule.
post #54 of 221
This is staggering, we've managed to turn Bill Gates saying something very gracious about Steve Jobs into hate filled rants about him.
post #55 of 221
Something else that I think is interesting (although off-topic) is to look at the latest OS offerings from Apple and Windows.

Snow Leopard is a revolution snuck in as an evolution. This is why it's breaking so many things and why I haven't come onboard with it yet. Grand Central and OpenCL are 'big steps forward', but I don't want to install it until I know that it won't break something. It looks a lot like Leopard, but underneath the hood, there's a lot of new stuff.

Windows7 is an evolution sold as a revolution. They've made big steps in the UI, in basic common-sense stuff, in basic user-friendliness - but it's still just Windows. This means a registry, an inconsistent Application installation process, the still crazy-backwards uninstalls, the susceptibility to malware and viruses, driver-hardware issues, etc. Another big reason that it looks like a revolution is that it IS a big step forward from XP - but for gawd's sake, it damned well better be! XP is nine years old! The disaster that was Vista was enough to get Microsoft to focus on their bread and butter for long enough to churn out something that isn't total crap - but can they hold that focus?

Gates can afford to be gracious now - they both can. Gates is no longer what is completely wrong with Windows. He's got enough distance from the product that he's probably not quite as personally involved with it anymore. Jobs can be gracious because Apple has proven it can be successful regardless of what Microsoft does.
post #56 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

FWIW, the judge in the antitrust trial was prepared to find Microsoft in contempt for supplying falsified evidence.

What does that mean? "Prepared to find?" Why didn't s/he? What happened there?
post #57 of 221
does not matter what he says, still (and will always be) a conman.
post #58 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

History has already proven that fact.

I think this one qualifies for a big EPIC FAIL prize. Congrats.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #59 of 221
Bill has matured over the years, of course it's taken him a long time, longer than the average male, which is long enough to begin with.

He was gracious here and you got to give it to him.

As for that obese creep Balmer, well...
post #60 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is staggering, we've managed to turn Bill Gates saying something very gracious about Steve Jobs into hate filled rants about him.

I agree from the Apple Fanbiys to MS trolls both sides have taken a heart felt appreciation of SJ by Bill Gates and destroyed the comments.

I noticed there is more negativity between MS fans and Apple Fans, then between the 2 TOP men in respective companies.

For people who think Bill Gates is not classy, just look at his foundation, yes it full of control freaks, but guess what, that foundation has done more for Africa and India, then all of the governments in terms of affordable medicines and providing proactive solutions.

Also in 90s when MS were being sued, every major monopoly was under the radar because prior to that there were no laws on how to behave and governments took notice. The 90s was period of change for many industries.

Pity Bald Eagle MS CEO does not have that type of classy and intelligence.
post #61 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

does not matter what he says, still (and will always be) a conman.

He's NOT a con-man. He even offered to send me and my family to Disneyland if I forward an email to everyone I know. Or is he going to send me cash? I forget.
post #62 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I think this one qualifies for a big EPIC FAIL prize. Congrats.

Unfortunately extreme is actually right, Apple was on brink on closure before SJ stepped back into the company, that is a fact and everyone knows about the MAJOR issues occurring with innovation and business strategy at the time before SJ coming back
post #63 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Oh, yes you do. Microsoft has been big in contributions to Republicans in Congress and the White House over the years, pushing to get favorable legislation. Do you think it's a coincidence that after Bush took office, the Justice Department backed off the monopoly case against Microsoft, and offered a very mild punishment to settle the case?

That a lot different than having some has-been leftist politician sitting on your board dictating questionable environmental policies resulting in glass screens for the last 3 years to appease Greenpeace.
post #64 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Unfortunately....LOL. I'm actually right alot of time.

You should have taken that nicely and kept quite, since you know that you speculate more than stock market, when it comes to your comments on Apple.

History has shown that is a FACT
post #65 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Unfortunately....LOL. I'm actually right alot of time.

I think the 'unfortunate' comment was referring to Apple almost going under, not you being correct.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

No, because other people quote the silly Dud comments, so they show up anyway.

It's call skim reading then. Try it- you can actually read through a lot of nonsense in life. Do I need to spoon feed every solution for some?
post #67 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

So what you are saying is Apple was doing great without Steve Jobs? You might want to take a look back in history. Apple doors would have closed a long time ago if it wasn't for Steve Jobs.

I know the history. Apple was different and Steve was different. Apple today is very different with a lot of good designers, programmers and engineers. Steve took medical leave of absence and Apple did best 1/4 ever State of Apple will be determined in a few years after Steve is gone, but it's not a fact that no Steve = no Apple , that's an assumption.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #68 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is staggering, we've managed to turn Bill Gates saying something very gracious about Steve Jobs into hate filled rants about him.

No. What would be really staggering would be to get the TeckStud to say something gracious about Steve Jobs
post #69 of 221
Yes Gates and Buffett did set up philantropic organizations.

I think if you look at the tax laws, and this is beyond the scope of what can be posted here, you would find that the creation of these organizations, leads to the payment of way less tax than keeping or passing on the money.

Most of the very rich have this same "problem" by setting up a non-profit they evade tax and by controlling the non-profit they largely get to determine where and how the money is spent, and in some ways get around the inheritance tax burden %55+ on estates over 2-4 million.

One article http://www.tano.org/en/art/1058/
Another the best "The Gates and Buffet Foundation Shell Game" http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0823-26.htm read it and creep.
post #70 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah not that Steve Jobs has ever done anything wrong you know like facing a security fraud lawsuit.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs, former Apple CEO Michael Spindler as well as other high-profile company execs are named in the most recent investor lawsuit over stock option grant irregularities and may be forced to return the monies they made from grants received as part Apple's executive stock compensation plan, if the lawsuit is successful.

So when confronted with facts you change the subject quickly and not address your misinformed and blatant unsubstantiated rhetoric.....LOL... really we live in the information age perhaps you should try looking up "facts" for yourself and educate yourself instead of throwing out wild claims of conspiracy theories when its as easy as typing in a URL....we know you know how to type, a fact some of us wish was otherwise...
post #71 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not an assumption, Big difference with someone taking medical leave and leaving the company. You think Steve Jobs wasn't involved while on medical leave.....LOL. Yeah your dreaming.

Now I think you are a troll. First time he was seen at Apple was at the end of his medical leave, so yes he wasn't involved.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #72 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's call skim reading then. Try it- you can actually read through a lot of nonsense in life. Do I need to spoon feed every solution for some?

Yes please. You obviously have nothing better to do. So share you understanding of the world with all of use lemmings of Jobs
post #73 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It was funny the way it read anyways. Lets hope in any case Steve Jobs does a better job then Bill Gates did finding a replacement.

That was not Bill's fault, the drama queen started after Bill left, it was like he was suppressing his true character until he was confirmed as TOP guy.
post #74 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

microsoft at $200 makes them a $1.7 Trillion company.

But if the price was that high, they would not have split 9 times and there would not be 8billion shares outstanding.
If it was $200, there would likely be ~1-2 billion shares max.
post #75 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Now I think you are a troll. First time he was seen at Apple was at the end of his medical leave, so yes he wasn't involved.

It was stated that SJ was kept abreast of all key decisions during his medical leave, he may not have been at Apple, but he was still kept informed of all major developments.

Yes you are correct, it is assumption that Apple will fall down, when Steve leaves since it has not happened as yet and no knows, except for 'I speculate more than Day trader' extremeskater.
post #76 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Here is where I think you are an idiot. You would have to be a fool to deny that Apple was on the verge of closing its doors and was saved by Steve Jobs returning the company.

Also how would you have any clue what he did or didn't do on medical leave, or how involved he was while recovering?

Yeah a real troll comments on what a great job Steve Jobs has done saving the company. Yep thats a typical troll statement.

How old are you, really?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #77 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

So when confronted with facts you change the subject quickly and not address your misinformed and blatant unsubstantiated rhetoric.....LOL... really we live in the information age perhaps you should try looking up "facts" for yourself and educate yourself instead of throwing out wild claims of conspiracy theories when its as easy as typing in a URL....we know you know how to type, a fact some of us wish was otherwise...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...stor_suit.html

here's his proof.
post #78 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

It was stated that SJ was kept abreast of all key decisions during his medical leave, he may not have been at Apple, but he was still kept informed of all major developments.

I understand that.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #79 of 221
It was just a nice comment. Doesn't have to mean anything, other than it was a nice comment.
post #80 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its also not far stretch to say Apple stock could be hurt as well as the company when Steve Jobs leaves.
Its not like there wasn't major concerns surrounding his health issues.

Because some people are convinced that if Steve is gone it's the end for Apple. That's not true. Apple has Tim Cook, Ive, Forstal and others. Apple will be just fine, maybe even better without Steve who knows.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple