or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Now I think [extremeskater is] a troll.

Of course he's a troll. Does anyone really doubt that?
post #82 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

No. What would be really staggering would be to get the TeckStud to say something gracious about Steve Jobs

Well he certainly has created legion of cultists, not that that would apply to anyone on here.

Here - read about their beliefs, I beg of you:
http://www.amazon.com/Cult-Mac-Leand.../dp/1886411832
post #83 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I agree with you that Gates is not all bad. But "classy"? I don't think I can go that far.
...
Indeed, Bill Gates has some fabulous strengths and good qualities, but he's not well adjusted enough for me to call him "classy".

How about "he's not unclassy"? (as in he's not "Balmeresque")
post #84 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Of course he's a troll. Does anyone really doubt that?

You must call more people names than anyone on here. Were you picked on as a child?
post #85 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Really thats not what you said here.

"First time he was seen at Apple was at the end of his medical leave, so yes he wasn't involved"

Make up your mind and get back to us.

One thing is to be kept in the loop vs doing the same work he did before taking medical leave. Major organ transplantation, health issues? Doesn't ring a bell?

Make up your mind and don't ge back to us.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #86 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

it's called the ignore list- you can surely figure out how to use it and ease your pain.

I looked around for this, must not be all that easy. Where can I set this up?
post #87 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

One thing is to be kept in the loop vs doing the same work he did before taking medical leave. Major organ transplantation, health issues? Doesn't ring a bell?

Make up your mind and don't ge back to us.


are you a window licker? skater said "apple has a history of doing badly when jobs was not at the company"
post #88 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That a lot different than having some has-been leftist politician sitting on your board dictating questionable environmental policies resulting in glass screens for the last 3 years to appease Greenpeace.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And, to call Al Gore a has-been politician is like calling Jim Lovell a has-been astronaut. Gore made it to the top and was denied the presidency only because of the arbitrary way the system resolved a virtual tie.
post #89 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I looked around for this, must not be all that easy. Where can I set this up?

Found it, under userCP.
post #90 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Who has said its going to be the end of Apple? My comment before was history has proven that Apple has done poorly without Steve Jobs.

Your reading skills are very poor. Do you know who Gil Amelio is?

Quote:
During Amelio's tenure Apple's stock continued to slump and hit a 12 year low and Q2 1997 because of a run on the stock that had been caused. Apple lost another $708 million. However, Apple did report a $25 million dollar profit prior to Amelio leaving. Apple had a multi-billion dollar loss the year before. On the 4 July 1997 weekend Jobs convinced the directors to oust Amelio in a boardroom coup; Amelio submitted his resignation less than a week later; and Jobs then became interim CEO on 16 September. In 2007, Jobs summed up his predecessor's tenure with a quote that he attributed to Amelio

I wouldn't call this poor performance I would call this THE END. So the point is that Apple had a lot of CEOs and all were bad, except Steve. Apple could have done much better with any good CEO. Steve has a lot of good ideas, but he is not a GOD and there are people that can do tha job just fine.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #91 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Gald to see yet again your not making any real contribution to yet another thread. Oh mouse thats such a perfect name for you.

post #92 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Found it, under userCP.

OK bye- nice meeting you. \
post #93 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

are you a window licker? skater said "apple has a history of doing badly when jobs was not at the company"

First define window licker. Second do you believe that company X can only be successful with that one specifi CEO? Don't be ridiculous. Apple has a histroy of doing badly not because Steve wasn't around, but because he was replaced with bad people.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #94 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

First define window licker. Second do you believe that company X can only be successful with that one specifi CEO? Don't be ridiculous. Apple has a histroy of doing badly not because Steve wasn't around, but because he was replaced with bad people.

1) google it. its really not hard.
2) then his statement would be correct. bad CEOs were at apple when jobs was not there, therefore apple did poorly.
post #95 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And, to call Al Gore a has-been politician is like calling Jim Lovell a has-been astronaut. Gore made it to the top and was denied the presidency only because of the arbitrary way the system resolved a virtual tie.

OMG- it's a TOTAL bad thing! Gore is the most inept politician ever. He should have rolled over Bush with Clinton's record but wimped away from Bill because of his extra-marital touchy fealies. Then he couldn't even put up a respectable fight in Florida in the courts, He rightfully deserved to loose exactly because of his inneptness. Also he's a hypocrite as documented with all his enviro preachiness yet doesn't practice what he preaches.
post #96 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's great that he's giving a lot of his fortune away now, but even so, the foundation is run with a lot of his control freak tendencies.

It is of course possible that people change, even Bill Gates. It is possible that the influence of his wife made him a better person.
post #97 of 221
Even Bill Gates is smart enough to realize that he would look like a complete idiot if he were to publicly criticize Steve Jobs.
post #98 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

1) google it. its really not hard.
2) then his statement would be correct. bad CEOs were at apple when jobs was not there, therefore apple did poorly.

So you agree that Apple could have done much better job with good CEO even if that CEO wasn't JOBS?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #99 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

1. Yes

2. We don't know if Apple could have done better with another CEO. We also don't know how Apple will do without Steve Jobs. We have to wait for that event to happen. However sometimes we do a little thing calling looking back a history. When we do that we see that Apple was in bad shape without Steve Jobs.

Until something else happens to prove history incorrect we use history as a possible indicator or what might happen if Steve Jobs was no longer with Apple.

You can tell me what might have happend or what could have happened all day long but that doesn't trump what has happened.


You need to read what happened when SJ left the company previously, there were no innovative people onboard. You can not use 1997 to predict what will happen, If SJ left the company that is called paranoid my friend.
You learn from your past, you live in present and plan for future!

your company set a record for 1992 in terms of record losses (http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/20/bu...-business.html), does that mean it will happen again, I doubt it, BIG blue chip companies usually never make the same mistake twice (exception to the rule a certain software company).
post #100 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

it's called the ignore list- you can surely figure out how to use it and ease your pain.

But then I would never get the chance to "match wits" with you. Unfortunately, in order for it to be a fair battle for you, I only get to use a small portion of mine, ..... say about half? That would almost be a break even point.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #101 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Ddo you believe that company X can only be successful with that one specifi CEO? Yes or No?

no, but i am citing history, just like skater. sorry you're too blind to see that.


it must suck you have to avoid the statement as much as you do. hurts to be so wrong doesnt it?
post #102 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Bill has matured over the years, of course it's taken him a long time, longer than the average male, which is long enough to begin with.

He was gracious here and you got to give it to him.

As for that obese creep Balmer, well...

Well, he did always seem to have an Apple fetish of some sort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uau0a...layer_embedded

Perhaps at one time he was hoping Apple would share a bit more of their toys for whatever price.

Didn't really turn out that way.
post #103 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

no, but i am citing history, just like skater. sorry you're too blind to see that.

it must suck you have to avoid the statement as much as you do. hurts to be so wrong doesnt it?

Wrong? Hardly.

Fact 1: Apple has done poorly without Steve.

Fact 2: Apple has done poorly with Steve the first time also.

Apple will be doing poorly after Steve is gone is just an assumption. It's not a fact. Histrory is where you learn what not to do. Current Apple team is very impressive.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #104 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Without Bill Gates' phenomenal success do you really think SJ would have been as propelled at vengeance as has been well documented over and over again? And I'm a fool?


Show me the "well documented evidence" instead of just your usual rant, and .... yes, judging from your posts, you're a fool.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #105 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah not that Steve Jobs has ever done anything wrong you know like facing a security fraud lawsuit.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs, former Apple CEO Michael Spindler as well as other high-profile company execs are named in the most recent investor lawsuit over stock option grant irregularities and may be forced to return the monies they made from grants received as part Apple's executive stock compensation plan, if the lawsuit is successful.

Facing charges and being convicted are two different things, except in your world, apparently.

"The U.S. Department of Justice as closed a criminal investigation of backdated stock options granted to Apple chief executive officer Steve Jobs. No charges will be filed."
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #106 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Wrong? Hardly.

Fact 1: Apple has done poorly without Steve.

Fact 2: Apple has done poorly with Steve the first time also.

Apple will be doing poorly after Steve is gone is just an assumption. It's not a fact. Histrory is where you learn what not to do.

Does Steve's recent absence for 6 months count as "without Steve"?

And why do people asssume this is 1996?

The industry is unaninous in its belief that Jobs' vision has become ingrained into the culture at Apple. For every instance of doubt there is another instance of confidence.

Besides, it's useless discussing the probable fallout of Apple wihout Steve before it even happens, especially in light of the fact that Apple is very different today from the Apple of the mid-90s. And this all assumes that Steve wil somehow leave Apple by whatever means over the next few years. The man is only 54. Ted Rogers was involved with Rogers Communications right up until his death at the age of 75, for example. As long as Jobs exists and is interested in tech Apple's vision won't change. Even in light of Jobs' recent illness, it is quite possible that he too, will live to a ripe old age.

"Apple is nothing without Steve Jobs."

Ok. But Apple has Steve Jobs now. And chances are, he'll be around next month, too. So now what? Is MS waiting for him to leave so they can get their head out of their ass or something? "Alright guys, Jobs is gone. NOW we can start producing things people actually want."
post #107 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OMG- it's a TOTAL bad thing! Gore is the most inept politician ever. He should have rolled over Bush with Clinton's record but wimped away from Bill because of his extra-marital touchy fealies. Then he couldn't even put up a respectable fight in Florida in the courts, He rightfully deserved to loose exactly because of his inneptness. Also he's a hypocrite as documented with all his enviro preachiness yet doesn't practice what he preaches.

Oh, I thought you meant the aluminum-and-glass Macs are bad. I think they're great -- no more special cleaning solutions, just clean the screen with dishwashing soap!
post #108 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok. Apple has Steve Jobs now. And chances are, he'll be around next month, too. So now what?

Return of MATTE!
post #109 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Show me the "well documented evidence" instead of just your usual rant, and .... yes, judging from your posts, you're a fool.

Do you anything but attack people's post, Do you ever make an actual original post of your OWN?
post #110 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

'The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Judge Jackson's rulings against Microsoft. This was partly because the Appellate court had adopted a "drastically altered scope of liability" under which the Remedies could be taken, and also partly due to the embargoed interviews Judge Jackson had given to the news media while he was still hearing the case, in violation of the Code of Conduct for US Judges.[13] Judge Jackson did not attend the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals hearing, in which the appeals court judges accused him of unethical conduct and determined he should have recused himself from the case.[14]"

Actually the case was overturned and a settlement was reached.

Wrong. Judge Jackson's Findings of Fact in the case were upheld by the Appeals Court in full. What they overturned was his remedy. When the case was taken over by the Bush administration, they settled it quite favorably to Microsoft. The Findings did however become the basis for several civil settlements, including huge payouts to Sun and AOL (which had bought Netscape). This is even before we get to the later EU antitrust actions, which further sanctioned Microsoft for violating European laws on competition.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #111 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Gald to see yet again your not making any real contribution to yet another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


Right, because you guys are always contributing in such a "real" way.
post #112 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLC View Post

What Bill is really saying is Apple will suffer greatly when Steve leaves.

While that was positively true at one time, Im not sure that it is as true now. There are a lot of good people at Apple and you can see the necessary passion from a lot of of them in spite of the different roles within the company. You can see the passion J. Ive has in his videos, hear the excitement in Phil's voice during presentations, even Tim Cook sounds prideful when discussing the numbers. While the loss of SJ would no doubt be painful, I don't see it as spelling the demise of Apple. In any case, here's hoping that day is a long way off.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #113 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What does that mean? "Prepared to find?" Why didn't s/he? What happened there?

I don't recall the exact sequence, but judges can use the threat of contempt of court charges to stop lawyers from screwing around with the court. Jackson had to use that threat a couple of times in U.S. v. Microsoft, though I don't think he ever went as far as to have the charges filed.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #114 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

It is of course possible that people change, even Bill Gates. It is possible that the influence of his wife made him a better person.

My sense is that he hasn't changed, or at least not very much. The Gates Foundation sometimes operates like the Microsoft of charities -- telling instead of asking. Not always, but I've seen some of that Bill Gates characteristic in the foundation for sure.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #115 of 221
... .. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

while that was positively true at one time, im not sure that it is as true now. There are a lot of good people at apple

seems all the good ones are there, doesn't it? I know i'm being facetious here, but it sure feels like all the talent is in cupertino.

and you can see the necessary passion from a lot of of them in spite of the different roles within the company. You can see the passion j. Ive has in his videos, hear the excitement in phil's voice during presentations, even tim cook sounds prideful when discussing the numbers.

completely different corporate culture at apple. In fact, apple is quite unlike most american corporations.they're a model for the world, in fact. It's quite remarkable. They seem to defy conventional wisdom. In 2001 steve jobs said they would innovate their way out of the economic downturn. And they did. And here they are doing it again, while the also-rans still haven't caught on.

while the loss of sj would no doubt be painful, i don't see it as spelling the demise of apple. In any case, here's hoping that day is a long way off.

quite frankly, i don't see any profit at all in duscussing the loss of steve jobs. Right now, all that's really important is discussing the degree to which the next iphone will embarrass the also-rans, and how the upcoming tablet will change the game once again.
post #116 of 221
Corporate culture is pretty hard to get rid of. I'm sure Apple will be okay. Isn't Tim Cook next in line?

Bill Gates is cool in my book. Despite its bad practices, his company brought personal computing to the masses. Shame they couldn't handle competition very well.
post #117 of 221
Thanks for your honesty Bill, and thanks for continuing to upgrade and support the Office Suite for MAC, which I HONESTLY enjoy using!!

I hate to works in Windows, though I have XP installed on my MacBook Pro for a couple of programs I can't avoid. That said Microsoft is not ALL bad... just not for me computer wise. I think it's time for "I'm a MAC" to throw "I'm a PC" a bone for Christmas and thank him for the great Microsoft software that runs so well on a MAC, after all, it is a great hedge for Microsoft if Windows 7 craps out! ...Providing they don't lose the next round in court and Microsoft is enjoined from selling Word.
post #118 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Do you anything but attack people's post, Do you ever make an actual original post of your OWN?

If you can't stand the heat .... get out of the kitchen, TechDud.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #119 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Right, because you guys are always contributing in such a "real" way.

Tell us more of your thought provoking insights.
post #120 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Unfortunately extreme is actually right, Apple was on brink on closure before SJ stepped back into the company, that is a fact and everyone knows about the MAJOR issues occurring with innovation and business strategy at the time before SJ coming back


I guess the lesson learned is never allow a soda pop salesmen to run a computer company.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bill Gates praises Steve Jobs for saving Apple