or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Restore from Time Machine or use migration assistant

Restore from Time Machine or use migration assistant

post #1 of 4
Hi all, I have recently purchased a new i7 iMac that should be here this week to replace my 4 month old MacBook Pro and I'm wondering what is the best method for switch to the new computer so I can clear the old one for sale. both should be running OS X 10.6.2.
post #2 of 4
I've chosen TM backups to restore the whole configuration and to transfer it onto brand new machines. USB and/or FW are just faster, than WiFi.
It was absolutely smooth and flawless transition. Then TM asked me whether to join ancient database or to create new one. I told it to join old backups and it worked perfect.

The only minor issue, which I've been experiencing with TM since long, is that languages and input sources are not restored properly.

Everything else looks like you've just awaken your old good Mac, which you used to have.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #3 of 4
ok, cool, thank you so much. I had used the TM method before but had never used MA as wasn't sure of the differences between the 2.
post #4 of 4
TM restore is evidently faster and includes less steps. At least, there are neither handshake procedure (I mean entering pin code) nor multiple steps of selecting content to restore.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Restore from Time Machine or use migration assistant