or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Trouble with older PowerBook G4

Trouble with older PowerBook G4

post #1 of 8
I am having lots of trouble with my 4-5 year old PowerBook G4 running extremely slow. I did a complete restore to try to fix the issue and still no change. In the activity monitor, my CPU usage is constantly at 100% regardless of if I'm doing anything.

CPU usage:

% user- about 100%
% system- between 0-5%
% nice- 0%
% idle- 0%

System memory:

Free- ~190 MB
Wired- ~80 MB
Active- ~225 MB
Inactive- ~15 MB

VM size- 27.8 GB (this seems a little high, but maybe not)

I am running 10.5.6 with a G4 1.67 Ghz and 512MB Ram.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #2 of 8
If you're already in Activity Monitor, switch the pull-down near the top to "All Processes", and click the "CPU %" column header to sort by CPU usage, and see what process is dominating your machine.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #3 of 8
Ok, thanks that actually helped me find it. It's Safari almost 95% CPU usage. And after I restarted it, it seems that it only happens when there is a flash based application on the webpage. Is the G4 really not powerful enough to handle flash? I could easily add more RAM but it seems that it's more of a proc issue.
post #4 of 8
Well, I guess Safari is using over 200MB of memory while its open so that takes my available memory below 20MB, so maybe I would benefit from a ram upgrade but everything runs fine as long as there is no flash based apps on the page so it may be a waste of money. What do you guys think, should i try a ram upgrade or not?
post #5 of 8
Actually if I quit safari and reopen it, it's only using 30MB ram. When I go to a page with flash it jumps to over 200MB and then stays there regardless if i go to a different webpage until i quit and reopen. Is there something I can do to fix this or is it just something i have to deal with using an older computer.

Also, I did go to adobe's website and made sure i have the most up to date flash player so that's not the issue.
post #6 of 8
Unfortunately, this is typical behavior for the Flash plugin in Safari.
Even viewing a webpage with a Flash advert can send the CPU to 100%

Adobe Flash on the Mac simply sucks!

Try ClickToFlash
It will let you decide what Flash elements to load on a given page.
post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info. I just checked on my C2D with 2GB MB Pro and even though I don't notice a slowdown, when looking in activity monitor the cpu usage spikes as well as memory usage. That kinda sucks
post #8 of 8
RAM will help... (I've a 1.5 G4 PBook with 1.5 GB ram)... but ClickToFlash is even better ... I've even got it running on my C2D iMac now.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Trouble with older PowerBook G4