or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › U2 at the Super Bowl...will Bono get on a soapbox?

U2 at the Super Bowl...will Bono get on a soapbox?

post #1 of 19
I was thinking about this today for some reason.

U2 is playing the half-time show at this year's Super Bowl, right?

What do you guys think the chances are that Bono, mouthy and cause-oriented as they come, will use this golden opportunity to make a statement of some sort?

He's aligned himself with so many things over the years (third world debt relief, world hunger, Amnesty International, Ireland's woes, etc.) that I'll be absolutely floored if he leads U2 through their segment WITHOUT getting in a little statement or otherwise getting preachy or on his soapbox.

Think of the viewership! He's smart enough to know that he'd have the ears of much of America at that moment.

Just wondering.
post #2 of 19
Let's hope not.
post #3 of 19
He'll blame 9-11 on Bush killing Kyoto.
post #4 of 19
[quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:
<strong>He'll blame 9-11 on Bush killing Kyoto.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no, he's not an asshole.

at least give the guy some respect. if he does say something it won't be something dumb.

I think they'll just do what they do best and be the best half-time show in years
post #5 of 19
They're just going to perform.

If we're lucky, they'll be in adventerous mood and perform one of the songs from their upcoming album.
post #6 of 19
If anything, I bet he might slip in a sentence or two as an introduction to a song.

CONFIRMED: the first non-lame SB halftime in many years. Aerosmith and the 8th grade all-stars was sooo surreal and stupid.

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.

post #7 of 19
They won't do anything new. Loot for some of the more recent material that's relevant. Walk On, New York, Stuck in a Moment, & Beautiful Day most likely.

U2 is a class act. Bono might say something, but at most it would be nothing too preachy.

The only thing that scares me is how typically cheesy the half-time shows are.
i am monkey
i am monkey
post #8 of 19
Lucky the addition of Paul McCartney is BEFORE the game. I got worried when I heard the announcement. I thought he may be cutting into U2 at the half.

I like McCartney but I just can't stand him of late with that damn song "Freedom". He thinks everyone should bow down and kiss his feet because of that damn songs and he'll do anything to make people here it.

One time was enough at the Concert for NY Paul.
post #9 of 19
Is it me, or has Paul McCartney aged like a woman? Look at those saggy cheeks and eyes!
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #10 of 19
Yeah, it's weird: Paul McCartney seems to have aged about 25 years in just the past 5 years or so!

He was holding out pretty good there, then suddenly BAM! Massive wrinkles and sagging, gray, thinner hair, sunken eyes, etc.

I'm guessing Linda's illness and untimely death took quite a toll on him, which is understandable.

But that concert for NYC was the first time I'd seen him in a while and all I was thinking was "wow, he looks horrible!".

I actually saw him in concert in 1992 (the "Flowers in the Dirt" album and tour) in Atlanta and this was the first tour he'd done in AGES. It was the tour where he got his Hofner violin bass out of storage and was playing it again and he played A TON of Beatle songs and was in great form and had a great band.

Probably one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

And yes, I know U2 is a "class act" (not spending their time getting arrested and beating their women down and so forth), but I still think Bono's got enough spunk or "fück it..." in him to NOT mention a thing or two during their little halftime thing.

I'll be watching, just to see, because I think it'll be funnier than shit if he does go off a little bit. It was like watching John Mellencamp testifying, years ago, in front of the U.S. Senate about America's farmers: he walks in with his denim jacket and hair all over the place, sits down and pretty much unloads on these fat-ass politicians and Washington, D.C. types for about 20 minutes straight, bitching and cutting Senators off with straight, no-bullshit answers and comments.

It was, quite possibly, the greatest thing I've ever seen a rock star do, and I'll respect him forever for that. I remember watching it on C-Span going "holy shit! He's tearing these guys a new butthole on live TV!".

post #11 of 19
Oh, man, Applenut, I'm with you on this one. I love the Beatles and Paul in particular, but his latest CD, especially "Freedom" is really bad.

He puts out klinker albums like this once in a while, they're usually trite and overly sentimental, but they also tend to precede a pretty good one. I hope that's the case this time.

Jeff

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>

post #12 of 19
[quote] at least give the guy some respect. if he does say something it won't be something dumb <hr></blockquote>

Ugh. Like when they played a "surprise" free concert in San Francisco and the idiot spray painted something like "think' on the Valliancourt fountain... Utterly pretentious.

You know this thing will be an overblown extravaganza with flag waivers and streamers and fireworks . . . and bono posing like he was young and "the Edge" with his stupid stocking cap. I mean the man calls himself "the Edge" . . .nuff said.

Bono takes himself so seriously. . . if he could, he would walk around in grainy black and white and in slow motion.

They had some good songs when they first started out.....
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #13 of 19
Bono takes the issues he cares about seriously, but he's willing to have a laugh at himself sometimes. Remember the giant lemon they came out of on the Pop Mart tour? And the K Mart launch? He was winking at the fact that they had become a commercial act.

And I think "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was one of last year's best albums.

Jeff

post #14 of 19
I liked U2 way back when, and on that Sunday, I would hope he plays the classic "Sunday, bloody Sunday...". That would rock.
post #15 of 19
I've been listening to old U2 albums in the car lately. Boy and October are both great albums. In fact, I'd take those two albums over War and Unforgettable Fire, but U2 rarely if ever has a clunker album.

In a world of vapid pop like Britney Spears, N'Sync, J-Lo, etc. it's great to see good songwriting can still last.

That being said, it's been awhile since U2 has done anything really socially relevant. They tried to jump on the Sarajevo bandwagon and that ended up looking pretty lame.

I think this is a great platform for Bono to really do or say something. I really hope he doesn't take the easy way out and talk about 9/11 (I doubt he will), but it'd be interesting to see him knock the ridiculousness of the Super Bowl (and as a non-American that is not a Football fan, the hoopla is as silly to be as those goobers in Europe who riot over a game like Soccer).
post #16 of 19
Bono will get on a soapbox, but he will be cut off by the mikes and cameras. Like his otherwise noble tribute to Joey Ramone at the MTV Music Awards.
post #17 of 19
[quote]Originally posted by pfflam:
<strong>if he could, he would walk around in grainy black and white and in slow motion.</strong><hr></blockquote>Now that would be cool.
post #18 of 19
[quote]Ugh. Like when they played a "surprise" free concert in San Francisco and the idiot spray painted something like "think' on the Valliancourt fountain... Utterly pretentious.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, he made a mistake 15 years ago, let's hate him for it now!
post #19 of 19
15 years ago and he still is wearing the same jacket and posing the same pose
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › U2 at the Super Bowl...will Bono get on a soapbox?