or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Evidence suggests Apple at work on Mac OS X 10.7

Evidence suggests Apple at work on Mac OS X 10.7

post #1 of 78
Apple is unsurprisingly already at work on the next version of its operating system, according to a new technical message that references Mac OS X 10.7.

As first discovered by MacRumors, a new database entry for the open source "launchd" framework responsible for booting Mac OS X references "11A47" with a new error message. Based on Apple's numbering scheme, the numerical prefix of a Mac OS X build determines the version number, and 11A47 would suggest a reference to the next version of the operating system, Mac OS X 10.7.

When it shipped, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard carried the build number 10A432, and subsequent updates 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 had the prefixes 10B and 10C, respectively. For Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, 10.5.0 builds leading up to launch were represented by the prefix 9A.

While the information suggests Apple has begun work on Mac OS X 10.7, as expected, it offers no hints or details as to what the next version of the operating system might offer.

Apple released Snow Leopard in August with great success, doubling the debut numbers of its predecessor, Leopard, and earning four times more sales than Tiger. Snow Leopard was given a warm reception due to its inexpensive $29 price and noteworthy performance boosts.

Snow Leopard's August release came nearly two years after Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard debuted in October 2007. Its predecessor, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, was introduced in April 2005.
post #2 of 78
I call BS. Sounds far-fetched to me.
post #3 of 78
No surprise there. I would imagine that the new UI changes that they were thinking for 10.6 are going to appear in 10.7. Also, since they've tweaked under the hood, I wouldn't be shocked if 10.7 appears on store shelves sooner rather than later, depending on what happens with the whole tablet form factor system... assuming it's going to actually happen.

The question here is going to be one of developers -- if there are any significant UI changes, I would imagine we're going to see them at WWDC 2011 in order to give software makers time to get their software ready.

I'm thinking there are two directions we'll see: the first a unifying platform between the tablet and desktop, or second, the desktop OS will start to get pushed out a bit more between releases as the feature set has stabilized and the tablet OS gets more attention. Until there are any major breakthroughs in user interface design, I can't see Apple rocking the boat too much and raise the ire of their pro customers.
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

How is this far-fetched at all? Companies start work on this kind of stuff as soon as, if not a little before, the current software is released. I am confident Microsoft is working on Windows 8, Adobe is hard at work on CS5, Infinity Ward is working on Modern Warfare 3, etc. Things like this take 1-3 or 4 years to get completed, so it makes sense to start right when the other stuff is out, or else you will fall behind schedule.
post #5 of 78
Somebody who understands software development. A company like Apple is working on multiple versions of future OSes at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How is this far-fetched at all? Companies start work on this kind of stuff as soon as, if not a little before, the current software is released. I am confident Microsoft is working on Windows 8, Adobe is hard at work on CS5, Infinity Ward is working on Modern Warfare 3, etc. Things like this take 1-3 or 4 years to get completed, so it makes sense to start right when the other stuff is out, or else you will fall behind schedule.
post #6 of 78
Or maybe it's 11.0. The giant-killer.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Unlikely, given the internal numbering. I'm sure OS XI will drop all legacy support (including Carbon) and is some way away.

As for 10.7, well, it'll probably be 64-bit only, probably dual-core dependent and hopefully they'll FTFF.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #8 of 78
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How is this far-fetched at all?

I'm thinking that was sarcasm. I would hope that Apple has been working on their next version for some time now.
post #9 of 78
So, why *wouldn't* apple be working on 10.7?

My guess is the ground work for 10.7 got moving before 10.6 even made it out the door.
post #10 of 78
Not surprised. Remember, the goal of Snow Leopard was to create a clean base for future versions of Mac OS X which is why the GUI is just an improved Leopard.
post #11 of 78
OMG I can't wait. It's going to be awesome! I'm already so bored with 10.6's bland and outdated look.
post #12 of 78
The blog-o-sphere is afire with rumors of Apple working on 10.7? Is it a slow news day or something?

I'd assumed they've been working on this since the day 10.6 was released, if not before.

I think it's safe to assume they're working on iPhone OS 4 now, and AppleTV OS 4 as well.
post #13 of 78
I'm expecting 10.7 to involve multitouch and hopefully a re-unified GUI theme (don't care if it's 'illuminous' or 'marble' or whatever, I just want them to make everything consistent and drop the Aqua buttons and scrollbars in favor of the Quicktime X/10.6 Dock contextual menu/Cover Flow scrollbar look. Also expecting serious improvements to Quicktime X, since as AI mentioned in an earlier article, it's something of a reboot of the codebase and is likely to support export/plugins again at some point in the future so they can drop QT Player 7.

I'm not expecting it to go dual-core/64-bit only for now, but I could be wrong. I think fully transitioning to Intel with 10.6 is going to be plenty for the next few years.

I'll be curious, though, since 10.6 as a 'code' release suggests strongly that 10.7 will be a 'feature' release.

Speaking of OSes, I'm very curious to hear more about future revisions of the iPhone OS - hopefully as we move into 2010 we'll be hearing more.
post #14 of 78
This is the most REDUNDANT article I have ever read on this site. Come on people. That is like saying Apple is working on technology to sell you later. Good grief!!!
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
post #15 of 78
people in the media keep going on about "mature" os's and such saying there's nothing left to really add. that's total bs. like why don't "modern, mature" os's have network awareness? like in the sense that, well if i'm on my home network, I want my network drives mounted, and if i'm at work, i don't. (or want different ones) so that i can't click the wrong thing. Or like how come it can't tell when i'm on my home network that it should switch the default printer to my home printer and not the office printer.

I thought laptops were starting to sell more than desktops so how come portability features aren't being worked in?

p.s. what the heck was the point of this article. "Yes, we've got insider sources telling us people at apple are still going to work in the morning even after the release of snow leopard"
post #16 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

people in the media keep going on about "mature" os's and such saying there's nothing left to really add. that's total bs. like why don't "modern, mature" os's have network awareness? like in the sense that, well if i'm on my home network, I want my network drives mounted, and if i'm at work, i don't. (or want different ones) so that i can't click the wrong thing. Or like how come it can't tell when i'm on my home network that it should switch the default printer to my home printer and not the office printer.

I thought laptops were starting to sell more than desktops so how come portability features aren't being worked in?

p.s. what the heck was the point of this article. "Yes, we've got insider sources telling us people at apple are still going to work in the morning even after the release of snow leopard"

You need "core location" my friend. Expect to see it being used for exactly this very soon.
post #17 of 78
Lion touch.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

You need "core location" my friend. Expect to see it being used for exactly this very soon.

I disagree. You don't really need the core location service for this type of behavior. All you need is the network stack to recognize what network you're on (using the MAC address or whatever of your router) and initiate the appropriate network connections for that network.

You can already sort-of do this with OS X networking with the different profiles that specify if things like VPN are auto-launched on the particular connection you're on. It doesn't seem much of a stretch to say if I am at home, launch my network drive connections, if I am at Starbucks, turn them off.

Core location tries to actually figure out where you are in the world physically. It's not quite the same thing.
post #19 of 78
apple is working on 10.7?
that's a surprise.

in other breaking news, microsoft is working on winmo7, ea sports is working on *sport title* 2k11, car manufacturers are working on their next model year cars, and the movie industry is working on sequels.
post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

In other breaking news, microsoft is working on winmo7, ea sports is working on *sport title* 2k11, car manufacturers are working on their next model year cars, and the movie industry is working on sequels.

The movie industry has moved on to prequels.
post #21 of 78
I would be very surprised if they were not working on the next version of MAC OS X.

Steve keeps Apple's programmers busy ...
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, they've moved on from prequels to 'reimaginings'.
post #23 of 78
Quote:

Unless you are being very sarcastic, you apparently have no experience working on very large software projects. I will point out that sarcasm often doesn't work well on the Internet, especially with the number of non-native English participants that you will find on a technology-focused forum such as AppleInsider. One should refrain from using sarcasm on such forums and bboards unless you are certain that others understand your true meaning.

Anyhow, it is quite typical for large software projects to lock down features as release is imminent. New functionality would either be included in a minor release later, or reserved for the next major release depending on the scope of development.

If you look at a software development map, it looks a lot like a tree branch, with smaller branches and twigs (representing minor releases and patches).

It is very likely that Apple forked the source code for 10.7 during the summer, when feature functionality had been determined. Ongoing work for 10.6 Snow Leopard's imminent release continued.

My guess is that a handful of Apple engineers have been working on 10.7 for almost six months. Since Snow Leopard's release in September, more engineers have transitioned to the next gen team while others continue refining 10.6.

Look at Firefox's release history and find their product roadmap. You'll see how quickly the branches are created and we're just talking about a web browser, not an entire operating system (which has its own web browser).
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I don't think Apple will ever move to "OS-11." It would certainly seem to be a big mistake from the branding/marketing point of view.

Despite the fact that hard-core Apple-ites will make fun of people who pronounce the "X" instead of saying it as "10," most people actually do think of it as the letter X and it's a central part of the branding. Let's face it, most youngsters, especially in the USA don't even use the "th" or "nd" after dates anymore and they sure as heck don't know squat about roman numerals.

"OS X" is not really "OS 10" and never has been.
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

Id like a GPS chip in the next Mac portables. Id like to have Weather, Stock and Movie widgets, for example, be able to determine my location automatically. Id like MobileMes Find My IPhone also have a Find My Mac option just in case. Id like Googles location services and other sites I deem safe to automatically use my location when I access the browser.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #26 of 78
Quote:

Lion touch.

touch Kitty??
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

apple is working on 10.7?
that's a surprise.

in other breaking news, microsoft is working on winmo7, ea sports is working on *sport title* 2k11, car manufacturers are working on their next model year cars, and the movie industry is working on sequels.

Yup, its a slow news morning, for sure. I'm working on my second latte of the day. Working my way towards lunch. By the way, I heard that a bunch of analysts are working on a new APL analysis angle. The future is just full of surprises this morning!
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"OS X" is not really "OS 10" and never has been.

Not so sure... OS X is only ever referred to as OS 10 when spoken, isn't it. I agree the visual impact of OS X is hard to beat, however, but OSII ain't so bad.
post #29 of 78
Quote:

Lion touch.

Sounds risky!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

No, they've moved on from prequels to 'reimaginings'.

OK it isn't a movie per say but the recently concluded Battlestar Gallactica was one of the best re-imaginings I've seen.

Oh by the way yes this is a thread hijack.

Dave
post #31 of 78
Very reasonable and likely true. The number scheme does indeed match up. Additionally, I don't believe we'll be going away from OSX anytime soon. A few reasons, these being the most notable two:
• branding (they've built a solid identifiable brand around this nomenclature)
• X is a reflection of uniX not the version after OS9... It was just a fun and handy way to progress with the old naming. Especially with NeXT heritage.

So, yeah, no problems here nor nothing surprising... move along.

The best thing would be for them to replace mach with xen, but with Citrix in the mix that is worrisome. I would love to see parallel OS running with hardware hotswitching and improved kernel message passing performance. Up to now Linux or the newer versions of FreeBSD are still viable replacements as the kernel and filesystem need serious work, even in Snow Leopard.
post #32 of 78
I recall Steve Jobs in the Snow Leopard keynote (I believe this was last january) saying that this version of OS X would be the last "Rapid Fire" release... as they realize that many industries can't keep buying a new OS every year.

Because of this, I would bet 10.7 will not rear it's head for another year and a half... Unless, as some one mentioned, it's required for the tablet launch, which I highly doubt; We'll see 10.6.3 for the tablet launch, is my guess.
post #33 of 78
Where's grand surprise?
X.6's tough start showed Apple didn't have enough resources to refactor big chunks of code within reasonable timeframe of the release cycle.

They may indeed fork the task force right now to start the development of the next major version.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #34 of 78
Nice OS X.VII Can't wait. As far as dropping support for 32 bit and single core actually sounds good. Since we don't have ppc, and all intel models ( I think) are core duos at least this would be a good way to cut down on axcess code.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #35 of 78
Quote:

it is 100% the truth and 100% non news. Any software company worth a hoot is going to have two major departments. 1 for support of the current software and 1 for development of the next version. so yeah, of course they are working on 7 already. probably have been working on it for a few months now.

Quote:

indeed. anyone who is anyone knows that

Brown in the new Black
Multitouch is the new Mouse
Mac is the new PC
Adaptations are the new Originality
Prequels are the new Sequels
Vampires (especially ones with perfect hair) are the new Hot Babes
and when all else fails, send in Bruce Willis with a quippy remark, a total lack of techno know-how and a really big gun.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

The blog-o-sphere is afire with rumors of Apple working on 10.7? Is it a slow news day or something?

I'd assumed they've been working on this since the day 10.6 was released, if not before.

I think it's safe to assume they're working on iPhone OS 4 now, and AppleTV OS 4 as well.

of course they are working on the next version. this fluffy filler for a slow news day.
post #37 of 78
That is amazing how someone at MacRumors figured out that 10.7 would follow 10.6, since the number 7 normally follows the number 6. Do they really think computer companies sit around doing nothing for two years and then suddenly snap their fingers and a new version instantly appears? Bunch of morons.
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

That is amazing how someone at MacRumors figured out that 10.7 would follow 10.6, since the number 7 normally follows the number 6. Do they really think computer companies sit around doing nothing for two years and then suddenly snap their fingers and a new version instantly appears? Bunch of morons.

I also hear that Microsoft is working on WIndows 8 while Sony is planning a PS4! It's true!
You win, I've switched sides.
You win, I've switched sides.
post #39 of 78
10.7 will be called Lion (hear me roar: meow). It will be feature-rich and will incorporate technologies recently acquired throughout the OS. Some iPhone OS features will be brought over to this version of OSX.

10.7 is the Lion of Jobs!
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the information suggests Apple has begun work on Mac OS X 10.7, as expected, it offers no hints or details as to what the next version of the operating system might offer.

Who cares what it might offer, what is the NAME??????
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Evidence suggests Apple at work on Mac OS X 10.7