or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumored 'Google Phone' said to be coming in 2010

Rumored 'Google Phone' said to be coming in 2010

post #1 of 73
Google is rumored to release its own custom-built Android phone in early 2010, allowing the company to control all of the facets of the software and hardware, much like with Apple and the iPhone.

According to Michael Arrington of TechCrunch, the Google-branded phone has been "confirmed" through reliable, anonymous sources, and will be sold directly through retailers very soon. Though the handset was originally planned to release this holiday, it has slipped to early 2010. Though the device will be created by a major manufacturer, much like Microsoft did with the first Zunes from Toshiba, it will only have the Google brand on it.

"There wont be any negotiation or compromise over the phones design of features -- Google is dictating every last piece of it," Arrington said. "No splintering of the Android OS that makes some applications unusable. Like the iPhone for Apple, this phone will be Googles pure vision of what a phone should be."

While the report claims the preceding information is from reliable sources, Arrington also provides a number of rumors in which he is less confident. He said the handset is likely to be manufactured by Korean companies LG or Samsung, though because Samsung makes a number of parts found in the iPhone, Apple could pressure the company to not accept a deal.

The report also said that Google is set to plan a "big advertising push" in January for the new hardware.

"We don't know what the device will look like, how big it will be, or even if it has a physical keyboard," Arrington said. "But we do know that Google is getting into the phone building business directly, and doesn't seem too concerned about competing with all the other device manufacturers building Android phones."

Until now, the Android platform has been included in devices created by third-party manufacturers, in much the same business model employed by Microsoft with Windows. The new Motorola Droid has been equipped with version 2.0 of the mobile operating system, which sports the company's free turn-by-turn directions application, Google Maps Navigation.

Though Android took a small share of the market in its first year with essentially one handset available, some believe its presence will grow significantly in the coming years, as the operating system expands to new hardware and carriers.

For more on the software side of Android vs. the iPhone, see AppleInsider's ongoing series:

Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as core platforms
Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as business models
Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as advancing technology
post #2 of 73
And the battle officially begins...
iPhone 4 32GB (black), iPod touch 32GB, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB, iPod classic 80 GB (white) 160GB (black), 2x 5th gen iPod 30GB (black + white), iMac 27", MacBook Pro 17", Time Capsule 1TB, Apple TV
iPhone 4 32GB (black), iPod touch 32GB, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB, iPod classic 80 GB (white) 160GB (black), 2x 5th gen iPod 30GB (black + white), iMac 27", MacBook Pro 17", Time Capsule 1TB, Apple TV
post #3 of 73
Just because Apple can do it doesn't mean Google can. Apple's historical expertise has been in user interfaces whereas Google's has been in back end services.
post #4 of 73
And that is why Apple should never have allowed Google on their board. Having said thatcompetition is a good thing for Apple, it keeps em on their toes.
bb
bb
post #5 of 73
As Gruber has already pointed out, Andy Rubin, vice president of engineering for Android at Google said just two weeks ago:

“We’re not making hardware. We’re enabling other people to build hardware.”

So either Michael Arrington is full of crap or Google is about to have a very Microsoftian moment and violate the whole system of ethics the company is built on.
post #6 of 73
Jon Gruber:

Filed Away for Future Claim Chowder: Mike Arrington Says Google Is Making Its Own Android Phone

Mike Arrington says Google is definitely making its own phone, coming in “early 2010”:

Way more interesting are the rumors we’ve been hearing for months about a pure Google-branded phone. Most of our sources have unconfirmed information, which we describe below. But there are a few things we have absolutely confirmed: Google is building their own branded phone that they’ll sell directly and through retailers. They were long planning to have the phone be available by the holidays, but it has now slipped to early 2010. The phone will be produced by a major phone manufacturer but will only have Google branding (Microsoft did the same thing with their first Zunes, which were built by Toshiba).

That puts Arrington on the same side as the almost-always-full-of-shit Scott Moritz. On the other side: Andy Rubin, vice president of engineering for Android at Google, who just two weeks ago said Google would not “compete with its customers” and “We’re not making hardware. We’re enabling other people to build hardware.”

So either Mike Arrington is totally wrong or Andy Rubin is a liar.

At the outset of Google’s Android initiative, I was a proponent of their creating a Google-branded, Google-designed reference handset. But at this point, after promising their hardware partners for 18 months that they wouldn’t do that, I don’t see how Google could do it without infuriating their partners and spoiling their trust. It’d be like what Microsoft did to its PlaysForSure partners when it introduced the Zune.

EDIT:

Gazobee beat me to it!
post #7 of 73
Supposing it's REALLY good and competes TOO well, won't that then drive the other Android phone manufacturers back to Windows Mobile?
post #8 of 73
Android Handset Makers Are At Google's Mercy

Irate Android Devs Aim To Replace Google's Proprietary Bits

Bad Google, bad.

Closed open software? Manufacturer favoritism? And now unfairly competing with your licensees?

post #9 of 73
As many have stated before...this will only be good for us!

I, personally, will stick with Apple products because of the complete 'Apple eco-system' which extends well beyond just the smart phone experience. Ie., syncing with my other macs via MobileMe, software integration which is improving all the time and of course, AppleTV.

I know many posters know this, but it is amazing how the eco-system is not included in the conversation when discussing the Pre's, Droid's of the world.

Anyone who has had to transfer video from a windows phone and then do video editing using a windows third party SW knows how frustrating a non-Apple solution can be!

I love Google Search in Safari, but as far as their other SW it's still a bit 'clunky' compared to Apple!

Thoughts?
post #10 of 73
Let's hope the UI is better than Picasa for OSX. Google can't make a decent interface.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #11 of 73
GOOG??? Who never soldered one single transistor to a board???
It's the End of Time.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #12 of 73
Make an Android Phone that has more than 256MB of Application Capacity. I can see the Droid Users now...."which Apps do I install?....I only have about 20MB left."
post #13 of 73
It would have made the rumor more fun if it included which carrier(s) the Google phone would operate on. In terms of Android application developers, I can just imagine them slapping their foreheads each time a potential new flavor of Android phone is announced. Maybe Google hopes that by producing a completely vanilla Android phone, it will keep other companies from customizing too much and alienating the app developer community.
post #14 of 73
post #15 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I love Google Search in Safari, but as far as their other SW it's still a bit 'clunky' compared to Apple!

Thoughts?

Completely agree. Over the years, I have actually backed away from many of the google apps and gone back to the Apple versions. I like them much more. Plus, I don't like the thought of all my info in the google clouds They get plenty of it just through search alone. It is my opinion that all corps that reach a certain size will do evil (that includes apple). So there will come a time when having willingly fed all your private info to google will not seem such a good idea after all.
post #16 of 73
Have Google's "licensees" paid any licensing fees?
A true Google phone seems simultaneously to be the only way to real success for Android and also the sure way to a number of Microsoftian stye disasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Bad Google, bad.

Closed open software? Manufacturer favoritism? And now unfairly competing with your licensees?

post #17 of 73
This will really make Android partners happy ... NOT! It is as if M$ started making PCs.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It's the End of Time.

And whose only real business was built without ever doing any meaningful UI ???

2012 is near
post #19 of 73
Quote:

It's the End of Time.

They probably have hardware engineers who design their enterprise search appliances.

However, this brings up the point that Google has not done any active hiring of cellphone hardware engineers. Even to build a reference device, they would need to staff up and such job openings have not made the news.

I can see a Google-branded phone, but not one designed by Google. In the company's current form, they have much more value as a brand rather than hardware engineering prowess.
post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This will really make Android partners happy ... NOT! It is as if M$ started making PCs.

Exactly! Goodbye, Motorola, HTC, et al.
post #21 of 73
Quote:

And whose only real business was built without ever doing any meaningful UI ???
2012 is near

Presumably, not every business on earth needs UI. But how about cellular phone without hardware???
That's fresh idea, though. It will indeed be able to finally kill iPhone.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

They probably have hardware engineers who design their enterprise search appliances.

However, this brings up the point that Google has not done any active hiring of cellphone hardware engineers. Even to build a reference device, they would need to staff up and such job openings have not made the news.

I can see a Google-branded phone, but not one designed by Google. In the company's current form, they have much more value as a brand rather than hardware engineering prowess.

Mm, internal fixes soldered by hand don't count. Designing for high volume manufacturing is a whole different ball of wax.

Google is a poacher. They go to the source and throw buckets of cash at the people they want. And considering their lack of experience, they must be going solely by referral. That's my guess.
post #23 of 73
Quote:

Dell's PowerEdge R710

Quote:

Personally, I fail to understand how the post-it, being sticked on no-name phone, can bring anything home.
They seem already awash in money just by shaving those content-providing sheep!

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #24 of 73
It just seems like another attempt to manipulate the markets again. This would drive google stock up and everyone else down.

You have to look at Google track record, they seem to be following their business model very closely, why would they all of a sudden jump into the hardware development and sales business. Even if they partner with someone it would have to be with one of the large cell phone companies to make it happen and why would they agree to build something for google which would directly compete with their own product offerings. Has anyone seen Google posting job ad for Hardward design engineers, you do not think they will let a bunch of software engineers design and analyze a hardware design.

The only hardware they ever got directly involved with is the servers to they use to run thier business. The customer design and build those servers however, it directly services their business.

I wonder about people abilities to critically think and analyze.
post #25 of 73
I'm going to wait the 4 years or so for the non-beta version of the Google Phone.
post #26 of 73
Quote:

Dell's PowerEdge R710

OK, so Google really doesn't have any significant pool of hardware engineering talent (the folks who architect new systems), whether it be on the enterprise side or the mobile device side. I'm sure they have some great sysadmins, but sysadmins don't create reference designs.

This much reiterates my stance that it will be a Google-branded phone, not one built from a reference design. You can't really "get into the phone building business directly" without having a team of engineers creating a reference design. You need individuals with *relevant* experience. Just having an EE doesn't make you a cellphone designer.

If you look at some of Apple's past job listings, the cellphone job openings are pretty specific (e.g., CDMA engineer).
post #27 of 73
Well my take is this:

Apple entering the Cell Phone Industry... not a total shock given the experience Apple has in designing consumer hardware and a very successful track record when it comes to UI & ease of use.

Google on the other hand... sure they got boatloads of money and could hire whoever they need to but Google as a company has an 'all over the place' kind of feel to it.. click on the 'more' link in the search menu bar and you'll see an enormous number of projects they are involved with its actually quite scary.

On top of that Google has never done any hardware design.. not ever... and unless they sub this phone out to another company to do most of the work and then slap their name on the top I certainly wouldn't be expecting too much from their offering...

Who knows I guess.. anything is possible... 15 years ago nobody expect Apple to still be around and if you told them that on top of Mac OS growing to new highs in market share they'd also be the #1 MP3 seller, #1 music retailer in the country and the company to beat in the smartphone market they would have died laughing...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #28 of 73
Quote:

OK, so Google really doesn't have any significant pool of hardware engineering talent (the folks who architect new systems), whether it be on the enterprise side or the mobile device side. I'm sure they have some great sysadmins, but sysadmins don't create reference designs.

Yep. Networking, javascript, all kinds of web technologies. GOOG have indeed got some talented guys to deal with all that. Not with hardware.

Quote:

This much reiterates my stance that it will be a Google-branded phone, not one built from a reference design. You can't really "get into the phone building business directly" without having a team of engineers creating a reference design. You need individuals with *relevant* experience. Just having an EE doesn't make you a cellphone designer.
If you look at some of Apple's past job listings, the cellphone job openings are pretty specific (e.g., CDMA engineer).

We're so far aware of only one example of incontestably successful first-ever manufacturer's phone. It's Apple's iPhone. And Apple are not newbies in hardware design. Even if we're bashing their battery around each corner, their marketing can actually make us buy anything dubbed "Apple". No one else managed to make that happen.
Nokia and Moto have both been in business for years and years.
So, even if company posts hardware job offers right now, it will not mean they will have baked uber-phone in 2010.
Neither should post-it, bearing the name of company and being glued on no-name brick, sell that good.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #29 of 73
Google really isn't synonymous with anything in the public consciousness, other than search and Gmail. The brand is very well known, butits meaning is rather muddled. A lot of people don't know what an "Android" is, and even fewer know that it has anything to do with Google.

Apple, on the other hand . . . mention their name and everyone knows immediately what they stand for. Not simply in terms of brand recognition, but in terms of reputation.
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

... Who knows I guess.. anything is possible... 15 years ago nobody expect Apple to still be around and if you told them that on top of Mac OS growing to new highs in market share they'd also be the #1 MP3 seller, #1 music retailer in the country and the company to beat in the smartphone market they would have died laughing...

Sure, but they have beaten all the trails from A to B. You may not ignore what happened during those 15 years.

On the other hand, Google is trying to beam themselves from A to B. And from the looks of it, a few flies may have hopped along for the ride at A, if you know what I mean
post #31 of 73
So, will Google force us to view an Ad before we are allowed to answer an incoming call?

post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

hah, i actually wish microsoft WOULD make hardware. Windows would probably be a better OS. They'll never do it though.
post #33 of 73
I have read this article, and read most of the comments, about google. I just want to say this article and commentry is a troll. All google products are open source, not like the pos products that apple offer.

sorry it is true accept it. this article is a TROLL

and what if google comes out with a phone, it will finaly put apple back into its drain spiral down where it belongs, back on its way out like in the early 80's like the apple 2e, mac has never been, never will be a leader in technology.
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by equa727 View Post

I have read this article, and read most of the comments, about google. I just want to say this article and commentry is a troll. All google products are open source, not like the pos products that apple offer.

sorry it is true accept it. this article is a TROLL

and what if google comes out with a phone, it will finaly put apple back into its drain spiral down where it belongs, back on its way out like in the early 80's like the apple 2e, mac has never been, never will be a leader in technology.

Please do not feed!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #35 of 73
The real question is:

"Will the damn thing ever get out of Beta status?"
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #36 of 73
Quote:

Bad Google, bad.

1. Hero wasn't the first Android phone having Android 1.5
2. Closed open softare? Which software?
post #37 of 73
TechCrunch says it's so (but doesn't explain how they know). Gruber says it's BS (and backs it up with a statement from Google).

AppleInsider runs the story as though it's credible.

Not that it'll make much difference to them, but I've just deleted AppleInsider's RSS feed from NetNewsWire.
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Not that it'll make much difference to them, but I've just deleted AppleInsider's RSS feed from NetNewsWire.

I guess you sort of missed the part about this being a rumor site?
post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, will Google force us to view an Ad before we are allowed to answer an incoming call?

I think so since their whole business model is based on advertising. I know their is nothing that annoys me more than all the stupid full page ads in iPhone applications when you have paid for said program.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

I think so since their whole business model is based on advertising. I know their is nothing that annoys me more than all the stupid full page ads in iPhone applications when you have paid for said program.

Can you say me any Google Android program (gmail, browser, gtalk, google maps) which has ads?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumored 'Google Phone' said to be coming in 2010