or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Microsoft retail store gets odd viral marketing buzz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft retail store gets odd viral marketing buzz - Page 3

post #81 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Now THAT makes me just want to get up & run straight to a MS Store.

</sarcasm>

Not sure whether to or here.

Personally, I think I'd rather be body-cavity checked by goons in MSN butterfly suits, than watch anyone break into spontaneous dance over anything MS. (Er that is anything besides a collapse & liquidation. )

I think the only thing more repulsive would be being forced to watch these clown fatties doing body shots! [shudders]
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i don't think that's fair to baboons on crack!

Well, to be fair...

Their fearless leader, Ballmer, IS a baboon on crack!

How else can you explain his spasmodic dancing appearances at Microsoft events?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #83 of 127
WOW, that was horrible. Everything was forced all the way around, including his writing. Indeed, c'est pitiable.
post #84 of 127
these fat employees in the video really need some aerobic lessons, I agree, but during their shift?
or perhaps they were forced to eat that win7 sandwich sold by the Japanese BK on the first week?

So, if someone enters in that MS store and needs some help, would have to wait until the end of the song?
you know, for attracting attention they need to show anything but not the MS products. Well done!

btw, to attract attention, this aerobic lesson wouldn't be such a bad idea, if there were pretty girls dancing as we can see at gyms through the window, yeah, that attracts attention.
post #85 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Be sure to check out the woman in the white shirt shop-lifting an item at the 2:15 mark.

I looked at it over and over trying to give her the benefit of doubt that maybe she was just putting something she already had in hand into her purse. But it does seem like shoplifting, the item looks very similar to what is on that display area... HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

Uhhh... if you are dancing for 5 minutes, how do you help customers and answer their questions? If I was there I'd leave... don't care about dancing, I came to get info or buy a product. Poor MS, always trying to be fun and cool... Apple envy is a mutha.
post #86 of 127
OMG thats painful, whats wrong with these people!
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

Suddenly all the staff who jumped ship from Apple to Microsoft realise their mistake.

No I think they realized their mistake when the showed up for work the first day.
post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

if there were pretty girls dancing as we can see at gyms through the window, yeah, that attracts attention.

MS: buy Hooters.

Then be sure to use preschool-sized furnishings and fixtures. Stuff that's low to the ground.
Or maybe require the hostesses to have miniskirts, and have ultra-polished floors.

MS, if you're gonna try to distract us from what these stores really represent, at least do it right.
post #89 of 127
Yes if you call the fact that I sent a link to the video to all my friends urging them to watch the painful farce in the hopes of making them chuckle, then yes, it is has been a successful viral campaign.
post #90 of 127
embarrassing...
post #91 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

And jokes are suppose to be funny.
I know it's a common thing to say on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. And a "white" guy , as you seem to call yourselves, saying this only makes it worse. In America where the black and white view still plays a big role in society. It isn't funny. It's terms and sayings have deep roots in racism and segragation (apartheid). Any well educated person should know better. The more you fuel it, yes even in (seemingly innocent) jokes, the longer the flames remain. It's just an point on my agenda to confront such remarks. People have sometimes no idea where these things come from. Just think about it.

But it's still true.
post #92 of 127
I guess we now know that Teckstud and Brad Slavin are one in the same...
post #93 of 127
I'm a PC, and I just threw up in my mouth.
post #94 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

And jokes are suppose to be funny.
I know it's a common thing to say on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. And a "white" guy , as you seem to call yourselves, saying this only makes it worse. In America where the black and white view still plays a big role in society. It isn't funny. It's terms and sayings have deep roots in racism and segragation (apartheid). Any well educated person should know better. The more you fuel it, yes even in (seemingly innocent) jokes, the longer the flames remain. It's just an point on my agenda to confront such remarks. People have sometimes no idea where these things come from. Just think about it.


Man, you need either a "chill pill" or an enema, I'm not sure which. Let's not be so quick to play "the race card". I'm a "white guy" and I thought it was funny.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #95 of 127
my thoughts, this is ok at a western style restaurant with peanuts on the floor
but this is a distraction from any products they are trying to sell....happy in this context isn't helpful...now if they sold a good burger...well then
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post

embarrassing...


Not embarrassing, because no one's ever going to find out they're down here. 'Cause you're gonna spot 'em and you're gonna air 'em out!
post #97 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Be sure to check out the woman in the white shirt shop-lifting an item at the 2:15 mark.

Awesome! Great catch. Got to hand it to her though, she stuck it out through the entire dance.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #98 of 127
Viral buzz? It's kind of like when somebody doesn't realize everyone is laughing at them and not with them.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #99 of 127
I'm a marketing professional and the thing about successful viral marketing is that people have to believe that something special was caught on film by accident. The fact that it was a lucky accident is what makes it special.

The fact that a dozen people are dancing in sync should be considered proof that something is not spontaneous.

I worked at an Apple store and we danced all the time. The difference was it was always only one or two people and it was when the store was empty.

Whoever pointed out that this "viral" ad is like an old uncle trying to seem hip has hit the nail right on the head. There's a right and a wrong way to conduct guerilla marketing. Everytime M$ does something like this, they show just how out of touch they are.
post #100 of 127
"chief conversion officer"

"search engine optimization company"

Ugh, makes me want to puke.
post #101 of 127
oh the humanity!

that is effin hilarious.

R-E-C-Y-C-L-E recycle! if it was spontaneous, then how does everyone know all the steps?

compare to what apple has to do to get a crowd lined up down the block for days ... release a product!

someone should tell that tool slavin that if he's been away from [the platform] for a while then there is NO WAY that windows 7 will run on his p.o.s.. dude, you better get a new computer! you oughta get the 27" iMac, it'll probably run windows 7 faster than any dell could!

post #102 of 127
I saw this video a day or 2 ago, and was waiting for AI to comment about it.

Since I live in Europe, I've never had the opportunity to visit an Apple Store. Thank God that you guys didn't respond with, " Look they're copying Apple's dance routines too"!!!!

My comments mirror those already stated here: pathetic, embarrassing.... and where is your dignity?! Is there a sick reason why MS is trying to destroy itself? As others have said, one bad mistake after another when it comes to advertising and marketing their products.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

Suddenly all the staff who jumped ship from Apple to Microsoft realise their mistake.

So true! I don't know who I feel worse for... the store employees or the MS manager that green lighted bkslavin viral services. \
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
Reply
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
Reply
post #104 of 127
The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And what that means is, I don't mean that in a small way, I mean it in a big way. In the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their product. And you say, well, why is that important? Well, proportionately spaced fonts come from typesetting, and beautiful books. That's where one gets the idea. If it weren't for the Mac, they would never have that in their products. And so I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success. I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success.. for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just really make third rate products.
post #105 of 127
if they are going to do this sort of thing atleast do it right like T-Mobile did in the UK. see here
post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I saw this video a day or 2 ago, and was waiting for AI to comment about it.

Since I live in Europe, I've never had the opportunity to visit an Apple Store. Thank God that you guys didn't respond with, " Look they're copying Apple's dance routines too"!!!!

My comments mirror those already stated here: pathetic, embarrassing.... and where is your dignity?! Is there a sick reason why MS is trying to destroy itself? As others have said, one bad mistake after another when it comes to advertising and marketing their products.

LOL .... at Apple stores they try to help customers.... and they are too busy and crowded to allow for dancing anyway!

Microsoft is working furiously to prepare EULA's, licensing and activation fees for any retail establishment that wants to copy their in-store-line-dancing routines.

post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

And jokes are suppose to be funny.
I know it's a common thing to say on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. And a "white" guy , as you seem to call yourselves, saying this only makes it worse. In America where the black and white view still plays a big role in society. It isn't funny. It's terms and sayings have deep roots in racism and segragation (apartheid). Any well educated person should know better. The more you fuel it, yes even in (seemingly innocent) jokes, the longer the flames remain. It's just an point on my agenda to confront such remarks. People have sometimes no idea where these things come from. Just think about it.

first off, Im a lady. Second off, I have a couple of MAs so please dont call me uneducated . relax, its not that serious and certainly not derogatory. If you didnt find it funny then get over it and MOVE ON
post #108 of 127
forgive me if it's been said but watching the video is like watching a bunch of epileptic teletubbies play basketball.
post #109 of 127
Now if only Apple would get off it's dead behind and re-open IT'S Mission Viejo store!

I'm having a serious withdrawl problem by now.
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergsi View Post

The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And what that means is, I don't mean that in a small way, I mean it in a big way. In the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their product. And you say, well, why is that important? Well, proportionately spaced fonts come from typesetting, and beautiful books. That's where one gets the idea. If it weren't for the Mac, they would never have that in their products. And so I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success. I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success.. for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just really make third rate products.

Very appropriate.

QFT.
post #111 of 127
Girl in green shirt has NICE TITS.

That's all I got from this article
post #112 of 127
I know of this for first hand experience. Microsoft learned that from Apple. Apple has lost the culture and fun. Employees are miserable. Management is more like Gap, Target and Starbucks then Apple like. Be honest. You can't say when you go to the Apple Store now everyone is having fun. People are more computerized. Sales people are only selling not providing solutions. They care more about services then customer experience. Apple needs to listen up. You can grow without loosing culture. Who wants to be Golith. In the end Davie knocks him to the floor. Microsoft has experienced that before.
post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2close View Post

I know of this for first hand experience. Microsoft learned that from Apple. Apple has lost the culture and fun. Employees are miserable. Management is more like Gap, Target and Starbucks then Apple like. Be honest. You can't say when you go to the Apple Store now everyone is having fun. People are more computerized. Sales people are only selling not providing solutions. They care more about services then customer experience. Apple needs to listen up. You can grow without loosing culture. Who wants to be Golith. In the end Davie knocks him to the floor. Microsoft has experienced that before.

Apple's customer service is #1 in the industry. The Stores do just fine in that area. So what's your point?
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's customer service is #1 in the industry. The Stores do just fine in that area. So what's your point?

If you work at an Apple Store you would know my point. #1 by by those silly surveys that JP Powers does, please. How many people do these surveys? They only survey up to a certain amount of people. They don't go across the nation to every household. As a former employee I know first hand how frustrated we are. Some of us have invested dreams and have been left with failure. Apple is no innocent here. My reference was about culture and how slowly it fading away. When was the last time you went to an Apple Store and found dancing, clapping, happiness besides the first day of opening. You go to the Genius Bar to speak of issues on your iPhone and they look at you with 3 heads. I was one of those people who did it. We were less sympathetic, straight to policy and procedure instead of using our credo with our customers. This is Managements fault. They have made us this way. The constant let downs, write-up, unfulfilled positions, demotions, an unfair grow your own program, harassment, etc... Look at this, more than half my store is applying for Microsoft. Even a long time district manager heads Apple's Retail Devision. What does that say. I've seen more customers walk away unhappy then those in those silly surveys being happy. Hopefully Apple will wise up. I still use a mac. I am still a mac user. I just don't like the company it keeps. By the way: "Made on a Mac for a PC"
post #115 of 127
I couldn't watch more than 20 seconds before i couldn't take anymore. Only thing worse would be watching a fat guy poop.

Oh I just threw up in my mouth a little....

They should've used Jerry Seinfield to be their spokes perso..... oh wait that would fail too.

& anyone that would turn down a 27" imac for any PC is smoking crack. Those are soooooo nice.

I will never look at microsoft the same after this video. so FAILS. Except for the girl shplifting. I like her. She seems dangerous.
post #116 of 127
Is this what now passes for "culture" in the world of people who only work, hole themselves up in suburban dwellings at night, and go to shopping malls on weekends?

God, I feel so out of touch with the world of vacuous consumerism...
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2close View Post

When was the last time you went to an Apple Store and found dancing, clapping, happiness besides the first day of opening. You go to the Genius Bar to speak of issues on your iPhone and they look at you with 3 heads. I

Why would anyone want to see staged, artificial idiocy because the company pushing it is desperate to shed its lousy image? Apple Stores are usually packed. Packed! They're doing amazing business and there's no end in sight. Not bad for such a horrible work environment. The rest of your post is purely anecdotal. When there is a mass exodus to MS Stores and there is evidence that Apple can't keep employees, then we'll talk. Right now, Apple Stores are moving from strength to strength, and there is no shortage of applicants.

I'll take yearly surverys by different sources over your anecdotal opinions any day. Show me the numbers. That's all that matters.
post #118 of 127
If what you say is truly your experience, then you're speaking about the store YOU worked at. You cannot generalize the culture in your store to the culture of Apple. Sounds like your store is poorly managed. But to say what you experienced in your one store represents the culture of the currently 280 stores is absurd and shows your bias against Apple.

Oh and BTW, just look at how popular Apple Stores are and how people just love browsing them. That gives you an idea of success. Having said that, sounds like Apple needs to address a morale issue in the city where you're from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2close View Post

If you work at an Apple Store you would know my point. #1 by by those silly surveys that JP Powers does, please. How many people do these surveys? They only survey up to a certain amount of people. They don't go across the nation to every household. As a former employee I know first hand how frustrated we are. Some of us have invested dreams and have been left with failure. Apple is no innocent here. My reference was about culture and how slowly it fading away. When was the last time you went to an Apple Store and found dancing, clapping, happiness besides the first day of opening. You go to the Genius Bar to speak of issues on your iPhone and they look at you with 3 heads. I was one of those people who did it. We were less sympathetic, straight to policy and procedure instead of using our credo with our customers. This is Managements fault. They have made us this way. The constant let downs, write-up, unfulfilled positions, demotions, an unfair grow your own program, harassment, etc... Look at this, more than half my store is applying for Microsoft. Even a long time district manager heads Apple's Retail Devision. What does that say. I've seen more customers walk away unhappy then those in those silly surveys being happy. Hopefully Apple will wise up. I still use a mac. I am still a mac user. I just don't like the company it keeps. By the way: "Made on a Mac for a PC"
post #119 of 127
"Mirroring the company's software reputation, Microsoft Store employees stop working and do something completely useless and fucking annoying instead of what they're supposed to do: WORK!"

How is using company hours to train employees to line dance help "improve" a company's image? May as well use that time to train your employees how to point customers to the Apple Store.

Nice job, MICRO(small)SOFT(weak)
post #120 of 127
I'm sure you mean "losing culture" because I'm not quite sure what "loosing culture" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2close View Post

Apple needs to listen up. You can grow without loosing culture.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Microsoft retail store gets odd viral marketing buzz