or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AT&T faces setback in legal battle over Verizon ads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T faces setback in legal battle over Verizon ads - Page 2

post #41 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Who died and made you moderator of this discussion?

Did someone forget to lay out the rules so we can all make sure to please the child and only talk about what he wants to talk about.

Are you finished?
post #42 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As for the simultaneous data/talking, I have a question. I tend to talk and use the internet/email with speakerphone every once in a while, but it almost always is when I'm on a WiFi network (like when I'm at home).

So if you're within WiFi range and a call comes in, couldn't a Verizon phone still do talk/data?

You won't be within WiFi range when you are in your car and get a call while using Droid Google Navigation app. You will not even get your emails when you are in a call. Furthermore, how many WiFi enabled phones does Verizon currently offer? three?!
When they start their 4G transition Verizon will experience the same issues AT&T is facing right now.
post #43 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You won't be within WiFi range when you are in your car and get a call while using Droid Google Navigation app. You will not even get your emails when you are in a call. Furthermore, how many WiFi enabled phones does Verizon currently offer? three?!

Thanks, that makes more sense now.
post #44 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I'd love to be able to get a smartphone without having to pay the data plan. I live on a college campus where I have wifi everywhere 24/7, I have zero interest in paying for a data plan I don't intend to use. I can live without internet EVERYWHERE.

You can - it costs $500 or so. However, if you want ATT to BUY you a phone, you're going to have to pay them back for it somehow. Have you taken Econ 101 yet?
post #45 of 85
"most TV watchers are "semi-catatonic."

Huh? What'd I miss? Sorry, I was taking a nap.
post #46 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You can - it costs $500 or so. However, if you want ATT to BUY you a phone, you're going to have to pay them back for it somehow. Have you taken Econ 101 yet?

How do you get the data free account with AT&T. With T-Mobile or a GSM-based MVNO it's simple but I don't of an easy way without doing a direct SIM transfer from a valid AT&T dumb phone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #47 of 85
I like the new at&t ad.

The fact of the matter is that Cingular took a chance on the iPhone at a time when Verizon refused. AT&T now deserves to enjoy the benefits that the iPhone provides.

While at&t's network is not perfect, I am willing to stick with them while they work to upgrade it. I believe that Apple will do the same. AT&T will have faster 3G than Verizon at 7.2 before going to LTE. I hope Verizon never gets the iPhone. They made a mistake going against Apple and now they have to live with it.

Moreover, Verizon's network has never been tested with heavy iPhone traffic so who knows how it will perform. I don't need Verizon's network.

My iPhone will remain on AT&T all the way!!!
post #48 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

If you look at at&t's 3G coverage map in the Verizon ads, you'll notice there is no 3G in the Traverse City, MI area (Northwest of the lower peninsula). There is also only a small amount of 3G in the south central area of Michigan. In fact, there is 3G almost all the way along the I-94 corridor.

I have to wonder if there are other areas of the country that Verizon is not showing accurately. I think they are using an outdated map.

Except that the coverage map on ATT's own website doesn't show 3G coverage in those areas. According to ATT, they have no 3G coverage along the I-94 corridor between the Indiana border and the Detroit suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Here in the Chicago area, coverage is great. My 3G service is better and faster than Verizon's.

Just as an example of how spotty and inconsistent cell coverage is, I have several friends in Chicago who switched to ATT for the sole purpose of getting an iPhone. Most, if not all, of them, within a few weeks or months of switching, have complained about ATT's service.

By chance, do you live in the suburbs of Chicago? Folks in the 'burbs seem happier with ATT than those in the city.
post #49 of 85
... ... ..


Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda 3s View Post

so your opinion seems to be that, who gives a **** about call quality or 3g coverage (which severely lags verizon) since people are still buying iphones anyway?

no, my opinion (not that i was actually stating one), is that i find it fascinating that a single device can somehow all but erasy, or at least shove down in priority, quality of service/coverage.

i'm sorry if that's not what you're saying, because from all of your posts on the subject matter in this thread and others, this seems to be the case. It's almost as if you don't really care so much about at&t's problems so long as apple is doing great financially and with sales.

well i don't really care about at&t's problems because 1) i don't hold shares in at&t, 2) i don't work for at&t, and 3) i don't subscribe to their service, so i really can't relate at all because my service with rogers up here in canada is damn near perfect. Everywhere. All the time.

We all know about at&t's problems. We've known about them for well over a year now. We also know they've been addressing them, albeit slowly. The more interesting thing is verizon's sudden interest in at&t, now that it's clear what the iphone means to carriers. At&t's coverage issues are not news. What is news is what you see when you read between the lines: That verizon is desperate for their own premiere device, beause in today's telecom world we learn two things:

1) the device makes the carrier.

2) people are willing to put up with (or ignore) a lot if you carry that golden nugget device.



again, i'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.
post #50 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How do you get the data free account with AT&T. With T-Mobile or a GSM-based MVNO it's simple but I don't of an easy way without doing a direct SIM transfer from a valid AT&T dumb phone.

Any unlocked iPhone can be then activated as a plain old phone.
post #51 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is ONE MAJOR difference between Verizon's service and AT&T's: AT&T allows simultaneous Data and Voice. I use this new iPhone App called CISCO WEBEX. This is a great tool for any remote worker. It allows you to dial into a conference call and view a presentation LIVE over the internet. This type of application is a must for any serious business customer AND IS NOT POSSIBLE on the Verizon network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As for the simultaneous data/talking, I have a question. I tend to talk and use the internet/email with speakerphone every once in a while, but it almost always is when I'm on a WiFi network (like when I'm at home).

So if you're within WiFi range and a call comes in, couldn't a Verizon phone still do talk/data?

WiFi is not always available, and often it's Password-Protected, thus Simultaneous Voice + Data only on GSM/ATT is an obvious advantage over Verizon/CDMA that doesn't support it. According to:

http://bit.ly/3x9qmu , http://bit.ly/2xikP4 , http://bit.ly/sXWjE

This could be fixed if Verizon makes SVDO available, prior to LTE Transition!

Is that a hardware or and software Upgrade?

Is VZ going to do it, and if yes, when?

That very Q is my determining factor for switching to iPhone/ATT sooner, as opposed to waiting another 8-9 months from now for a MAYBE answer from VZ!!! If the Conspiracy Theories apply, maybe it's the carriers are WILLFULLY not telling the world, so that the customers don't jump off their contracts, which doesn't apply here, cause I am not on a contract.

Speaking of Contracts - if reduce mine on VZ to save $$, I'll loose the Unlimited Mobile to Mobile minutes? That's were ATT wins with their Roll Over Minutes...

Meanwhile, read these 2 articles here: http://bit.ly/lNOHA

Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as core platforms

Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as business models


and all their comments, you'll see why ANDROID will be a GIANT HEADACHE for most people, except for a few geeks looking for adventures!

As soon as I figure how to Migrate my Memos/Notes from my Treo 700p to iPhone, I'll get iPhone! Thus far, after all my trips to Apple Stores, it looks like there is no easy way to do it!

In 1999 or so, I took Steve Jobs + Apple seriously, and committed to a "Digital Lifestyle", which is what they kept stressing at that time! Palm PDA's were prominently featured in that "Digital Echo System".

I wish Apple made it easy for people like me to migrate to iPhone! Missing Sync can only sync via WiFi, EverNote is not for me. I am stuck on PB G4, OS 10.4.11, Treo 700P, and it's hard to watch all those iPhones floating by..

Wish this Forum created a Topic/Thread to discuss that! PLEASE GUYS, if you are reading this, DO IT!!!

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply
post #52 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Although verizon may indeed have a map that shows coverage over a wider area, my experience using them provided me with horrible service - compared directly to a friend standing next to me using att.

I do believe that Verizon is taking advantage of how stupid we consumers are - regardless of whether they say the map is comparing 3G coverage only - we consumers (for the most part, and this generalization is appropriate in this case) see the lack of coverage on ATT's map as being just that - lack of coverage. The white areas on the map aren't viewed as non-3g areas, but rather as no service areas.

I work in sales and marketing of consumer products and they've done a brilliant job showing we consumers a "true" apples to apples comparison that really just takes advantage of how stupid we are.

As far as the iPhone is concerned, I like the phone and its features and how it works perfectly with my MBP and the apps it offers. What I really don't care is what network it runs on. I'm not beholden to ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc and as far as 3G, it is going to become a moot point very quickly as the move to 4G speeds up. If Apple really wants to keep leading, it needs to force the "next" technology on the carriers and partner with whoever is willing to move things forward.

In a separate note, I'm getting to the point where I would like to find a carrier that is willing to go back to 1G, spotty service. This push to be continuously connected and available makes it difficult to live a normal life. I remember traveling in the day when I couldn't connect to the office unless I could find a pay phone or get to the hotel at the end of the day. You could actually have down time in the day. Now the expectation is to reply to emails and texts and calls immediately or face the scrutiny of the powers that be.

What is STUPID about posting an ACCURATE map of how LITTLE 3G coverage ATT has.? I am sick of losing signal when I go inside about 50% of buildings. Stinking ATT uses 1900 Mhz around here and that has ALMOST ZERO wall penetration.
post #53 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You won't be within WiFi range when you are in your car and get a call while using Droid Google Navigation app. You will not even get your emails when you are in a call. Furthermore, how many WiFi enabled phones does Verizon currently offer? three?!
When they start their 4G transition Verizon will experience the same issues AT&T is facing right now.

Add to it the fact that CDMA phones cannot receive calls when there is data flowing to the phone either, so if you are enjoying the scenery of the GPS app downloading all that wonderful content, enjoy getting voicemail messages.
post #54 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You won't be within WiFi range when you are in your car and get a call while using Droid Google Navigation app. You will not even get your emails when you are in a call. Furthermore, how many WiFi enabled phones does Verizon currently offer? three?!
When they start their 4G transition Verizon will experience the same issues AT&T is facing right now.

And what issue will that be?

Verizon or any other company would be moronic to put up a few towers then dump all their customers over at once. If AT&T does it with the 7.2 one I can't remember the acronym then I don't know what to say. Well in ATT make the upgrades in a few.

Chances are they'll put up as many as possible for LTE then flip the switch. they still have 3g service to fall back on as the build out.

Oh and by the way Verizon offers 9 wifi enabled phones. ATT offers 13. Isn't exactly blowing them out of the water. I know goign to both websites and counting pass 3 is hard.
post #55 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

And what issue will that be?

Verizon or any other company would be moronic to put up a few towers then dump all their customers over at once. If AT&T does it with the 7.2 one I can't remember the acronym then I don't know what to say. Well in ATT make the upgrades in a few.

Chances are they'll put up as many as possible for LTE then flip the switch. they still have 3g service to fall back on as the build out.

The handsets will need to work with CDMA EV-DO and LTE and the two technologies are not compatible. Verizon said they will keep using CDMA EV-DO until 2020 and this is more than 8 years from the date they will start the rollout 4G. This was a big problem when US carriers switched to GSM and this is why they are behind today.

Quote:
Oh and by the way Verizon offers 9 wifi enabled phones. ATT offers 13. Isn't exactly blowing them out of the water. I know goign to both websites and counting pass 3 is hard.

I asked because I didn't know. I know that Verizon said all smart phones will have WiFi beginning July 09 and I've only heard of three. However, their long list of handset filter on their website does not include WiFi. I am interested to know what handsets are Wifi enabled. Can you provide a link or a list of those devices please?
post #56 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

However, it makes you wonder if Steve Jobs did his homework on AT&T's coverage and their capability. I mean, why create a product that people just see and they want it now and have it tarnished because of the carrier you partnered with. I wonder where the iPhone would be today if it were on Verizon? MMS sooner? Tethering by now? Larger US iPhone user base?

or Verizon would have the same issues AT&T has - iPhone users actually use the network, so rather than investing in 3G in more areas, they have to invest those resources into the large population areas. Do you really think if everyone switched tomorrow, the Verizon network could handle the additional network bandwidth iPhone owners use?

To see what the service for iPhone on verizon might look like, take a look at their current Droid service:

The "unlimited" verizon data plan for droid actually has a limit on bandwidth use.
The Verizon data plan for droid expressly prohibits tethering. They plan an add on tethering plan, it's not available now, and when it is, it will cost an additional $30/month (and will also have a limit on bandwidth use).
Droid can do visual voice mail, but it costs another $2.99/month
Droid can support exchange servers, but enabling it costs another $15/month
post #57 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You can - it costs $500 or so. However, if you want ATT to BUY you a phone, you're going to have to pay them back for it somehow. Have you taken Econ 101 yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How do you get the data free account with AT&T. With T-Mobile or a GSM-based MVNO it's simple but I don't of an easy way without doing a direct SIM transfer from a valid AT&T dumb phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Any unlocked iPhone can be then activated as a plain old phone.

No you can't have a smart phone with out a data plan on ATT. Even if you have a unlocked iphone their network will detect it and they will require you to have a data plan. In the past it was possible to provide your own iphone and skip a data plan but not any more. I speak from personal experience but don't take my word for it google it.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #58 of 85
Well, this constitutes evidence for judges watch TV, just as we all do.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #59 of 85
I just picked up a vzw storm 2 in Philly. Several times around town I have "raced" it against an iphone on surfing. The storm 2 always loses, even though it is 3 g and shows all bars. Further, my service has been down for several hours. This is my first experience with vzw. I am glad that they allow returns.
post #60 of 85
Speed is only one parameter that one should use for comparison of network capacity. That VZW has more 3G coverage than AT&T does not mean they have the capacity to support the iPhone traffic. AT&T is certainly having problems with bandwidth issues even in places where they can show 3G coverage.

VZW has not been taxed yet. They have had time to study AT&T's technical problems, and if they're smart, are silently building up their capacity so when the iPhone becomes available to them, they'll be able to handle it. But remember, VZW originally passed on the iPhone, and Apple then went to the small carrier Cingular -- smart VZW is not.
post #61 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Add to it the fact that CDMA phones cannot receive calls when there is data flowing to the phone either, so if you are enjoying the scenery of the GPS app downloading all that wonderful content, enjoy getting voicemail messages.

you're incredibly wrong. what happens if you are on the internet is it cuts the data connection off and allows the call to go through. its how its always been and always will be til LTE.

please never post again and save us the trouble of correcting you.
post #62 of 85
Is it really that big of a deal? I mean, AT&T's covers 230 million, Verizons covers, what, 280-290 million? Woo, so about 25% more people even tho they dropped the dough to cover 5 times as much physical area. Honestly, if you were a business you'd much rather do business the AT&T way than the Verizon way. Aside from that how many people in the 50-60 million delta have smart phones or some other phone that uses 3G? What % of thsoe 60 million have smart phones? I'm sure it's noticeably less than the people in the metropolitan areas that AT&T covers (also, saying AT&T only cover metropolitan areas is a joke - my hometown has a population of less than 5k and it has 3G coverage).

Basically, would you be willing to put up with a slower network to know that you'll have access to said slower network the 2 times a year when you go visiting the in-laws out in BFE or do you want to have the faster network the other 363 days of the year? Certainly the people in the delta would much rather have Verizon but unless you're in those 60 million the point of their commercial is useless.

It's almost simple math. 1.5x or even 1.25x base (we'll call Verizons 3G speed as "base") for, say, 350 days a year and then .4x base (EDGE) for the other 15 days you end up with a total capability of 443.15 vs 365 w/ Verizon. You'd either 1) have to spend much more time in EDGE land (107 days to be exact) or 2) get even less than 1.25x Verizon 3G speed.

I just don't get it - sure there are complaints from people in NY and San Fran but the numbers speak for themselves. People are always much, much more likely to complain about something than they are to commend it so I'm really not surprised that AT&T gets complained about - they have the #1 customer satisfaction brand on their network. Apple fans are used to stuff just working, you'll see the same thing when/if Verizon gets the phone - it's going to crush their network just like it did AT&T's but here's the difference - AT&T has given Verizon a 4 year buffer to get ready for the iPhone. If you think Verizon's network could haved supported the millions of iPhones currently out there you're kidding yourself.
post #63 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Why do you think the first iphone wasn't 3G?

or CDMA?...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #64 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

or Verizon would have the same issues AT&T has - iPhone users actually use the network, so rather than investing in 3G in more areas, they have to invest those resources into the large population areas. Do you really think if everyone switched tomorrow, the Verizon network could handle the additional network bandwidth iPhone owners use?

To see what the service for iPhone on verizon might look like, take a look at their current Droid service:

The "unlimited" verizon data plan for droid actually has a limit on bandwidth use.
The Verizon data plan for droid expressly prohibits tethering. They plan an add on tethering plan, it's not available now, and when it is, it will cost an additional $30/month (and will also have a limit on bandwidth use).
Droid can do visual voice mail, but it costs another $2.99/month
Droid can support exchange servers, but enabling it costs another $15/month

Nice post... Being one that does not have an iPhone and is not with Verizon, I'm glad to read your post where, after some forethought, you quantified the differences of Verizon and AT&T. Instead of the the usual, "stop your whining AT&T" that gets me so hot under the collar because no one forced Apple to sign the deal with AT&T, so apparently Apple was happy with what they were getting. It begs to question, who around here is really doing the whining?! AT&T or somebody else? Congratulations!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #65 of 85
AT&T could run an equally "sneaky" ad and run a commercial that zooms out from the US to a world map. Compare Verizon's CDMA range to AT&T's GSM range. Show some poor Droid user trying to visit his family for the holidays in another country listening to static on his phone. However, it was stupid and discrediting for the AT&T marketing department to get all legal-court-action about this.
post #66 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you're incredibly wrong. what happens if you are on the internet is it cuts the data connection off and allows the call to go through. its how its always been and always will be til LTE.

please never post again and save us the trouble of correcting you.

Well no access to Internet/data while on a call is still a notable failure for a modern network. Kudos to AT&T for at least attempting to step up. It's easy for Verizon to criticize while they sit back with a nationwide 3G network that has nowhere near the same data traffic as the AT&T network. Verizon sits there with a flock of phones that barely have a web browser to run (more like crawl) on their oh-so-mighty network. Verizon would instantly crash if they dared try to accommodate the iPhone.
post #67 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Droid can support exchange servers, but enabling it costs another $15/month

This is only true for corporate accounts. The standard 29.99 data pack you are required to purchase at the minimum, it includes exchange support. There is no additional cost for this feature for individual and family plans.
post #68 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

"1) the device makes the carrier.

2) people are willing to put up with (or ignore) a lot if you carry that golden nugget device."

The iPhone hasn't changed anything when it comes to carriers in the US. ATT was the #2 carrier before the iPhone and it will remain that way with or without the iPhone.

The fact that ATT isn't the #1 carrier shows that a device has very little impact. ATT is far bigger overall then Verizon, they offer bundled deals on digital tv, phone, internet and mobile yet even with all the deals they offer they still can't overtake Verizon because Verizon simple has a much better network and customer service.

Maybe the device make the carrier in Canada but not here we actually need a network that allows us to get work done.

The iPhone has changed the entire carrier game. Everyone has had to expand and improve at that much faster a pace. If there were no iPhone, we wouldn't be seeing this battle between AT&T and Verizon. We wouldn't have seen the FCC step in with new guidelines and recommendations.

It is ALL about the iPhone - what it represents, the benefits, the challenges.
post #69 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I'd love to be able to get a smartphone without having to pay the data plan. I live on a college campus where I have wifi everywhere 24/7, I have zero interest in paying for a data plan I don't intend to use. I can live without internet EVERYWHERE.

As an iPod Touch user, I'm with you. I'd love to have the functionality of an iPod Touch with the ability to do regular voice calls, without the ridiculously expensive data plan. It looks like the way to do this is:
1) Buy a GSM phone yourself from a non-carrier vendor
2) Take the phone to a carrier and ask for a voice-only plan and SIM card for your device
I hear people are doing this in the US, for example, with used or independently-purchased iPhones. They get the phone unlocked then take it to T-mobile for their SIM card. I don't know for sure that T-mobile will sell you a non-data plan for a smartphone, even if you didn't buy the phone from them. People are primarily doing it to get away from AT&T. From what I've read, its not that T-mobile has a better network, its that they're cheaper. So, if you must have a poor network, at least you pay less for it.

The missing piece is controlling the cellular radio on the smartphone, itself. For example, some "voice-only" plans are actually "voice + pay-per-use data" plans with multiple $/MB rates for that data. I guess it would be up to the smartphone OS to provide you a way to ensure you're sending all data over WiFi and controlling when/if you use a cellular data connection.

Does anybody have experience getting this to work reasonably?
post #70 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

This is only true for corporate accounts. The standard 29.99 data pack you are required to purchase at the minimum, it includes exchange support. There is no additional cost for this feature for individual and family plans.

If that's true, someone needs to explain it to Verizon support. My wife has a Droid (she has to stay with verizon because her relatives all have verizon) and we can't get the Droid email to work with our company email server - which is an IMAP sever running on leopard, not Exchange. When we called support about it, they tried to sell us the $15 upgrade so we could access exchange servers until I explained to them it wasn't an exchange server, just standard IMAP. We still can't get it to work.
post #71 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a new ad comparing the 3G networks of AT&T and Verizon, AT&T claims that it offers a better "3G experience" when compared to Verizon. The ad, which features actor Luke Wilson, points viewers to a website, TruthAbout3G.com that contains the tag-line "When you compare, there's no comparison. AT&T. A better 3G experience."

Both the ad and website tout the speed and features of AT&T's network, with the website claiming that AT&T's 3G network covers 230 million people across the nation. The TV ad makes no mention of 3G coverage area or signal quality.

Truthabout3G.com? Sigh. Again, AT&T just does not get it. Verizon is not bashing AT&T for their speed and features, but rather their lack of 3G AVAILABILITY. AT&T must truly be a bunch of morons. The experience one gets from speedy and feature-rich 3G means NOTHING if your 3G network is spotty, or if you can't get 3G at all. Which has been Verizon's point.

Just be thankful you have the iPhone on your network, AT&T, because otherwise no one would be with you.
post #72 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

If that's true, someone needs to explain it to Verizon support. My wife has a Droid (she has to stay with verizon because her relatives all have verizon) and we can't get the Droid email to work with our company email server - which is an IMAP sever running on leopard, not Exchange. When we called support about it, they tried to sell us the $15 upgrade so we could access exchange servers until I explained to them it wasn't an exchange server, just standard IMAP. We still can't get it to work.

Sounds like you got bad service, or the rep misunderstood you when you said "corporate e-mail." But I can attest to exchange not being extra for individual accounts. My firm uses exchange, and all of my email, contacts, and calendar synced out of the box and my monthly statement has only two charges: 59.99 and 29.99. One for voice and the other for data.
post #73 of 85
No simultaneous data and voice on VZW is a missing feature I was unaware of. Without this competition between VZW and AT&T, I may never have known. The wireless business is so locked down with proprietary information, even about what standards are in use, that any little bit of info is good to see.
post #74 of 85
The # of People Covered spec where AT&T claims to beat VZW needs some explanation. People move. Is their comparison of population density and coverage maps based solely on where people live, where they work, where they go? Given that the whole point of a mobile device is that you want it with you and working on the go, not just in your house or office, I think their numbers need some explanation.
post #75 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Truthabout3G.com? Sigh. Again, AT&T just does not get it. Verizon is not bashing AT&T for their speed and features, but rather their lack of 3G AVAILABILITY. AT&T must truly be a bunch of morons.

They get it but its not like you can just put up towers whenever you feel like it. GSM-based nwtworks are very different from CDMA-based networks. AT&T is simply advertising the areas in which they do excel while Verizon is advertising the areas in which they excel. Its marketing 101.

AT&T reportedly covers 75% of the US population with 3G. While this should be improved its more important to get towers in densely populated areas onto the better spectrum with more bandwidth to support more users.

Trying to do direct one-to-one network comparison is impossible due to the very different architectures and the ways in which each company formed to its current size due to acquisitions. At the end of the end its all about what company serves your needs the best. Since I spend my populated areas and like voice and data, AT&T is the carrier for me and they have exceeding my expectations of a carrier in the US.

That said, there current ad is weak. Using Luke WIlson convoluted and trivialized the technical benefits of AT&T over Verizon. And while they should advertise that they have the most sought after smartphone in the country on their network they should not be advertising that they have over 100k apps. That is not their app store. Verizons ad hit on a single fact and they hit it out of the ball park. AT&T really needs to get Apples PR people to work for them.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #76 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There would have still been battles between ATT and Verizon. Its called competition and believe it or not it would have still exsisted even without the iPhone.

It looks like a simulation of competition, because we don't see and price drops of voice/data plans
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
post #77 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

It looks like a simulation of competition, because we don't see and price drops of voice/data plans

When the AT&T pricing for the iPhone first arrived the unlimited data was an unprecedented $20 while $40-50 were still the most common rates. On top of that the iPhone actually had the ability to actually utilize this data. Part of this ability to offer such a low rate is the requirement that all iPhones pay for it. This has sense been picked up by other carriers which allows them to subsidize these expensive phones further while netting more profit.

After that first year the unlimited data jumped to $30 with the drop of profit sharing and no longer included any SMS but it was still lower than the industry average before the iPhone hit the market. That could be coincidence or that could be the cause and effect. I can't say.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #78 of 85
Apparently, AT&T understands how to be cool just about as well as Microsoft. That ad is lame. It doesn't help that they prove Verizon right by talking about their "3G experience" rather than what people care about: 3G coverage.

People want their phones to work. Dropped calls and spotty coverage are things that don't work.
post #79 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When the AT&T pricing for the iPhone first arrived the unlimited data was an unprecedented $20 while $40-50 were still the most common rates. On top of that the iPhone actually had the ability to actually utilize this data. Part of this ability to offer such a low rate is the requirement that all iPhones pay for it. This has sense been picked up by other carriers which allows them to subsidize these expensive phones further while netting more profit.

After that first year the unlimited data jumped to $30 with the drop of profit sharing and no longer included any SMS but it was still lower than the industry average before the iPhone hit the market. That could be coincidence or that could be the cause and effect. I can't say.


wrong. vzw had a blackberry plan for $30 when the iphone came out. the other PDAs were a different story. i worked for vzw and they very much had it.
post #80 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Apparently, AT&T understands how to be cool just about as well as Microsoft. That ad is lame. It doesn't help that they prove Verizon right by talking about their "3G experience" rather than what people care about: 3G coverage.

People want their phones to work. Dropped calls and spotty coverage are things that don't work.

I agree that AT&Ts ad misses the mark while Verizons ad hits the bulls eye, but I disagree with your implication that people only care about coverage. I care only enough that my area is covered. After that I want speed and reliability. I dont care if AT&T isnt blanketing dairy farms across the US. In fact, I want them to focus on getting the populated areas with better performance and reliability first. Cows can use dial up for all I care.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

wrong. vzw had a blackberry plan for $30 when the iphone came out. the other PDAs were a different story. i worked for vzw and they very much had it.

And what part of that makes my comment wrong? I have no knowledge of this BB unlimited data plan for $30 but I clearly wrote " $40-50 were still the most common rates, not $40-50 were still the only rates."
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AT&T faces setback in legal battle over Verizon ads