or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces

Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces

post #1 of 132
Magazine publisher Condé Nast plans to bring one of its top brands to Apple's still-unannounced tablet, which one report claims has been delayed, but will offer a pricey model with an OLED screen.

According to MediaMemo, a digital version of Wired magazine will be ready by the middle of 2010 for Apple's tablet. The publisher reportedly does not even have confirmation that the long-rumored tablet even exists.

"Condé Nast CEO Chuck Townsend says his company is working closely with Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and that it has also been communicating its plans to Apple," the report said. "But Townsend made a point of saying that Apple executives themselves refuse to acknowledge that theyre actually planning a tablet: 'Theyre not talking to anybody openly,' he says."

The publisher has plans to eventually create digital versions of all 18 of its titles through a new publishing form being created by Adobe called AIR. Though the software works on both Mac and PC, it is not currently compatible with the iPhone.

Despite this, the report said that the publisher intends to create magazines much like one that was released Wednesday for the iPhone: a digital copy of the latest issue of GQ magazine, available for $2.99 on the App Store.

In other Apple tablet news, DigiTimes, a Taiwanese trade publication with a hit-and-miss track record on Apple rumors, has reported that the device has been delayed until the second half of 2010. For its part, AppleInsider has been told by reliable sources that the tablet will arrive in the first quarter of 2010, a position maintained since the summer.

The new report claims that Apple plans to postpone the launch because it has decided to switch components, and will launch a second, more expensive model that will sport a 9.7-inch OLED display from LG. In addition, it said that another, 10.6-inch LCD model would be available.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Apple and LG reached a $500 million deal for the supply of flat panel displays through the year 2013. DigiTimes alleges that the agreement includes the supply of OLED displays.

The report suggests that an OLED-based tablet would cost Apple between $1,500 and $1,700 to build based on current prices, though the cost of supplies is dropping rapidly. It forecasts an OLED model costing about $2,000 at retail, with the LCD option priced between $800 and $1,000.

In August, rumors of two models and an OLED screen first surfaced, though prices were never suggested to be as high as $2,000.
post #2 of 132
£2K!!! What's that in yuan.
post #3 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

At 2000.00 they might as well not even bother. There isn't anyone thats going to pay 2000.00 for any tablet. Not that I think this article is accurate, this is just someone pulling numbers out his butt.

There would be lines out the door at every Apple store with fanboys camping for days. Don't deny it. I'd have a hard time justifying it, but it would probably have some very appealing feature that would suck my wallet dry.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #4 of 132
Quote:

At 2000.00 they might as well not even bother. There isn't anyone thats going to pay 2000.00 for any tablet. Not that I think this article is accurate, this is just someone pulling numbers out his butt.

How clueless can anyone be?

Because of the form factor and the yet-to-be-known feature and functionality sets, they'll sell like hotcakes. And they'll be way out in front of any competition, as usual.

You people keep expecting Apple to produce something cheap. Get over it.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #5 of 132
The prices of capacitive multi-touch screens and sensors in general are still exorbitant.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #6 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

There would be lines out the door at every Apple store with fanboys camping for days. Don't deny it. I'd have a hard time justifying it, but it would probably have some very appealing feature that would suck my wallet dry.

Right. Just like there were lines out the doors of every Apple store with fanboys camping for days when the Macbook Air was release. Please. Give me a break. There is a limit you know. At 2K, virtually no one would buy.
post #7 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

How clueless can anyone be?

Because of the form factor and the yet-to-be-known feature and functionality sets, they'll sell like hotcakes. And they'll be way out in front of any competition, as usual.

You people keep expecting Apple to produce something cheap. Get over it.

I don't expect Apple to make a cheap product, but what value does an oled screen bring? It might be thinner, but the drawbacks that are currently there don't add any value. Uneven wearing, lower light output, high cost. Yes it can do a perfect black but is that really critical for a tablet? Oled technology is not quite ready for primetime imho.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #8 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new report claims that Apple plans to postpone the launch because it has decided to switch components, and will launch a second, more expensive model that will sport a 9.7-inch OLED display from LG. In addition, it said that another, 10.6-inch LCD model would be available.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Apple and LG reached a $500 million deal for the supply of flat panel displays through the year 2013. DigiTimes alleges that the agreement includes the supply of OLED displays.

The report suggests that an OLED-based tablet would cost Apple between $1,500 and $1,700 to build based on current prices, though the cost of supplies is dropping rapidly. It forecasts an OLED model costing about $2,000 at retail, with the LCD option priced between $800 and $1,000.

Rumors will abound. But if anything, the so-called Mac 'Tablet' will knock our socks off. I would suggest that since Jobs is back and apparently driving the 'Tablet', it won't be just a tablet. For sure, there will be a LCD option priced between $800 and $1,000 and that works for me. However, I wouldn't be opposed to an OLED model for up to $2,000 (at current prices) wouldn't be out of line. And anybody that knows me will tell you that I will be one of the first in line to get one.

Bottom line, there is no need to dis Apple if they do provide the OLED option. I would suspect that if they did, Apple is probably the only one that could drive down the acquisition cost and thus the price to consumers.

I could well imagine seeing special mounts for any room in the house, and in-car for that matter.

Leopard/iPhone OS (including all the Leopard apps), multi-touch screen, BlueTooth keyboard/remote controls, Wi-Fi, wireless 3G, hand writing recognition, etc., that could act as a portable Mac, organizer, cell (video and/or VOIP) phone, video movie/game/music player, TV viewer, eReader, GPS navigator, web browser, etc., etc., etc.
post #9 of 132
Adobe AIR? No thanks.
post #10 of 132
Quote:

I don't know how clueless are you? There was a recent poll posted here on AI where even the most diehard Apple fans said they would pay 899.00 while others would only go as high as 699.00. No one is going to pay 2000.00 for what so far has only been hyped as an e-reader.

I'm restraining myself from adding other "attributes" to your profound cluelessness.

"Hyped as an e-reader"??? You believe everything you read? You seriously believe Apple would produce an e-reader? Nope. No way.

Apple and Adobe are probably tag-teaming this one, as they're approaching major publishers. So they have most likely got something pretty impressive to offer--easily surpassing the Kindles and the Nooks in power and features.

This is going to be a revolution in the publishing industry to outshine even the "desktop publishing" revolution they pulled off in the late '80s and '90s.

The new media is going to be lead by the likes of Adobe AIR, and the Apple tablets with be worthy devices to run the new media.

Maybe "your people" wouldn't pay that much, but I think most people will. The price may come down, too, as they amortize tooling costs.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #11 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Adobe AIR? No thanks.

Indeed. We certainly don't need more Flash.
post #12 of 132
Quote:

I don't believe everything I read but the lack of information at this point is far greater then actual information. You're coming up with all these scenarios and you haven't a clue what you are talking about. We have no clue if Adobe is involved or not.

Users are not going to pay 2000.00 for a tablet.

Who are my people? Get a clue.

I have a clue, and it's that Apple will shock and impress yet again with its next new product, and it will yet again shut up all you silly naysayers as the lines form at its stores.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #13 of 132
Quote:

I'm restraining myself from adding other "attributes" to your profound cluelessness.

"Hyped as an e-reader"??? You believe everything you read? You seriously believe Apple would produce an e-reader? Nope. No way.

Apple and Adobe are probably tag-teaming this one, as they're approaching major publishers.

The new media is going to be lead by the likes of Adobe AIR, and the Apple tablets with be worthy devices to run the new media.

Wow, you're commenting on other's "profound cluelessness" and then hypothesizing that Apple is partnering with Adobe and making a competitor's technology a key feature in their new product. Pot, please meet the kettle...
post #14 of 132
Quote:

Apple and Adobe are probably tag-teaming this one, as they're approaching major publishers. So they have most likely got something pretty impressive to offer--easily surpassing the Kindles and the Nooks in power and features.

This is going to be a revolution in the publishing industry to outshine even the "desktop publishing" revolution they pulled off in the late '80s and '90s.

Maybe "your people" wouldn't pay that much, but I think most people will. The price may come down, too, as they amortize tooling costs.

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous. We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300. If only APple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Its not for nothing that the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's best selling Mac- it's its small size.
post #15 of 132
Quote:

Agreed about the numbers. half that perhaps. especially if there's 3g capabilities allowing carriers to buy and subsidize (bringing the price down to more like $500-600)

as for the dates, I have always thought that a Jan/Feb announcement with a mid summer release would make sense as
1. it would give mags etc time to create for the tablet
2. it is possible that the ATT contract will be up there and I believe that Apple will not continue an exclusive deal with anyone after the flack they got over ATT's service faults. An unlocked, optional 3g in the tablet would make more sense. and those rumors about a GSM/CDMA dual chip could be for the tablet, not the phone. thus allowing even those that would rather stick with Verizon/Sprint for their phone to tablet up without adding another service

Quote:

You people keep expecting Apple to produce something cheap.

not at all. but all the rumors position this device as in bridging the gap between the iphone and the macbook. And being Apple's answer to the netbook craze. As such a $2000 price point doesn't work. not when for half that, you can get a real computer not (as the rumors most firmly say) an oversized iphone that can also firmly be a decent ereader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Leopard/iPhone OS (including all the Leopard apps), multi-touch screen, BlueTooth keyboard/remote controls, Wi-Fi, wireless 3G, hand writing recognition, etc., that could act as a portable Mac, organizer, cell (video and/or VOIP) phone, video movie/game/music player, TV viewer, eReader, GPS navigator, web browser, etc., etc., etc.

drop the 'all the leopard apps' and you might be onto something. at this point creating a tablet that is a full computer would drive up the prices sky high. perhaps in 3-4 generations it might be that mighty but for now think netbook functions (true netbook not this mini laptop with cheap components and a tiny screen game). way more plausible.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #16 of 132
Quote:

I have a clue, and it's that Apple will shock and impress yet again with its next new product, and it will yet again shut up all you silly naysayers as the lines form at its stores.

Those lines at the Apple store mean nothing- they're basically for fanboys and people with no clue who can be easily manipulated by Apple's slick marketing hype department. Those $600 iPhones who's debut had huge lines 2 years ago are worthless today and laying in the garbage heap of technology today.
post #17 of 132
Quote:

Most of the time 70% of people in an Apple store are teenagers either playing around with the isight on an iMac or using an iPhone they are never going to buy. If Apple charged admission to get into their stores you would be able to throw a gernade in there and not hit anyone.

Everytime I go in there- its teenagers on facebook or myspace hogging up the machines or genius bar problems.
post #18 of 132
What a confusing mish-mash of (mostly) almost certainly false rumours.

Very sad if "Wired" becomes one of the first magazines on the device also, there are many, more worthy titles.

This sounds more like Condé Nast doing self-promotion than it is any real rumour about the tablet. Also, the prices quoted for OLED screens seem wildly inaccurate and Apple is not going to make a product with a negative 150% margin in any case, (which they'd have to if those prices were true.)

I don't believe any of it.
post #19 of 132
Is no one else surprised that Apple would make 2 of the exact same device, yet they will have different sized screens?

I seriously doubt this rumor is true.
post #20 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everytime I go in there- its teenagers on facebook or myspace hogging up the machines or genius bar problems.

Oh, my! They're all the same all over the world.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #21 of 132
Quote:

Most of the time 70% of people in an Apple store are teenagers either playing around with the isight on an iMac or using an iPhone they are never going to buy. If Apple charged admission to get into their stores you would be able to throw a gernade in there and not hit anyone.

Yet another clueless, ill-informed comment, I see. You never disappoint!

Perhaps you can explain how Apple had $6.6B in sales and $1.4B in operating income from its retail stores in FY2009? (Source: p. 86 of Apple's latest 10-K).
post #22 of 132
Quote:

LOL. Did you read the new thread that just came out 5 mins ago. Now Piper is saying Tablet won't exceed 700.00...LOL Oh well guess they decided to drop OLED in the last 5 mins.

Right - it gonna cost the same as the 32GB iPhone- that's BS going the other direction.
I expect $1,100- $1,200 or subsidized with a carrier at $800. I want to hear what kind of OS its going to get. It has to be OS Lite as opposed to iPhone's OS Macorexic.
post #23 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yet another clueless, ill-informed comment, I see. You never disappoint!

Perhaps you can explain how Apple had $6.6B in sales and $1.4B in operating income from its retail stores in FY2009? (Source: p. 86 of Apple's latest 10-K).

First- His statement has nothing to do with sales whatsoever.
Most people who buy know what they want before they enter and spend little time test driving the machines. Yet another illogical posting on your part.
post #24 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Oh, my! They're all the same all over the world.

Right?
post #25 of 132
Quote:

Does he always just follow people around with useless statements? Is he lacking a brain of his own. We should see mouse right behind him soon.

He and his sidekick the mouse who has yet to emerge from his hole.
post #26 of 132
Quote:

Does he always just follow people around....

Nah, just the utterly bollixed ones.
post #27 of 132
Quote:

First- His statement has nothing to do with sales whatsoever.
Most people who buy know what they want before they enter and spend little time test driving the machines. Yet another illogical posting on your part.

Do you have a source?

I suspect you are correct, but it would be an interesting study.

I think I remember a big study about how people walked by an apple store and it "sucked them in" more than other stores or something.
post #28 of 132
Quote:

Their mentor hasn't shown up yet either.

Let me guess- the recherché one?- who's profile name means extreme egocentrism? The one who says certain things are never gonna happen because it doesn't fit into Apple business model cause he knows Steve's innermost thoughts? He truly is the leader of their pack.
post #29 of 132
Quote:

Right?

Absolutely. Seen with my own eyes. I was in Montpellier on the day of the Opening.
P.S. So are all those youngsters at FNAC.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #30 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Do you have a source?

I suspect you are correct, but it would be an interesting study.

I think I remember a big study about how people walked by an apple store and it "sucked them in" more than other stores or something.

Oh I'm sure people go into them without planning to- they are striking looking. But I wouldn't imagine them buying a big ticket computer impulsively- maybe an iPod.
post #31 of 132
Quote:

If your going to try and use big words at least understand what context to use them in.

If you're going to use words at all, at least use them correctly.
post #32 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publisher has plans to eventually create digital versions of all 18 of its titles through a new publishing form being created by Adobe called AIR.

Adobe Air is not "being created." It's an existing software platform that's used, for instance, for online subscriptions to the New York Times. In use it's something like an amalgam of Adobe Reader and a web browser, with the embedded fonts and defined layout of Reader, but the links, paging back and forth and of course web access of a browser. Adobe Air is currently at v2.0, and although it could still use some more development, it's a fairly capable program.

In actual use it's not simply a clone of the printed publication, but offers an on-screen version plus interactive navigation features.
post #33 of 132
Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous.

Allow me to help you out with your reading comprehension problem: There's nothing in this article to indicate that Apple is considering, greedily or otherwise, a $2000 price for this possibly non-existent tablet device of unknown technology or capability. The article merely cites a Taiwanese publication's estimate that an OLED tablet might have to be priced at that level based on their current understanding of component costs.

Quite how you get from estimates about speculation based on rumour to "Apple greed" I don't know. Could personal bias possibly enter into it? Preposterous indeed...
post #34 of 132
Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous. We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300. If only APple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Its not for nothing that the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's best selling Mac- it's its small size.

The 13" MBP is also the cheapest MBP model which is probably why it's the best selling.

I agree that $2k is way too much for what will essentially be a larger screen iPod Touch according to the rumours I've read. It will need to have a mass market price tag, whatever that is.
post #35 of 132
Wow, people see $2000 and completely forget that the rumor mentions an $800 tablet as well. OLED won't justify a doubling in price to many consumers, it would have to have significantly upgraded internals as well. If this rumor is true, which is a big if, I think these devices would be very different from each other (arm vs intel, iPhone OS vs OSX, "i" branding vs mac branding). I'm still skeptical of using OSX on a tablet due to usability concerns (I think they would still have to give you a track pad and physical keyboard, but that hasn't made tablets popular in the past), but that is really the only way this rumor makes any sense to me.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #36 of 132
Why would anyone think this tablet would be a simple e-reader? If anything, it will be a full fledged PC in tablet form. At a minimum, I would expect nothing less than at least iPod Touch capability.

I doubt it will have anything to do with Adobe other than PDF. If anything, the push for HTML 5 capability we've seen with Safari will be the direction they go with. Flash is (hopefully) becoming irrelevant to Apple.

I could see people paying $2000 for a 10" touch screen with ultra thin form factor. Not a lot of people, but some. It will be a status type thing.

The benefit to everyone else is that it gets the price of OLED down in the end, which is all I care about.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #37 of 132
IF Apple are going to be making an OLED model, and I LOVE OLED, they won't make a second LCD model. That would be too confusing.

No, if they make an OLED model they'll only make it and make it at a price that is less than what Digitimes thinks possible. Gut feeling says Apple won't make an OLED one for at least another year, at which point, if they do they'll drop the LCD model. So we're looking at the initial tablet being an LCD model, much to my dismay.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #38 of 132
OLED for tablet with functionality of e-reader?
I thought OLED technology would consume much more battery with white background, that is the normal way for reading.
post #39 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

IF Apple are going to be making an OLED model, and I LOVE OLED, they won't make a second LCD model. That would be too confusing.

No, if they make an OLED model they'll only make it and make it at a price that is less than what Digitimes thinks possible. Gut feeling says Apple won't make an OLED one for at least another year, at which point, if they do they'll drop the LCD model. So we're looking at the initial tablet being an LCD model, much to my dismay.

That seems more logical than two tablets. LCD until OLED costs come down. Sounds something like what Apple did with the original iPhone and the 3G.
post #40 of 132
Quote:

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous.

I pity them having to defend themselves on rumored products with rumored prices, rumored technologies and rumored specs. Apple cannot control what digitimes writes, don't call them greedy until you see the product and know its price. Then you're welcome to make any judgement you want. Until then you're just getting yourself worked up over a rumor.

Quote:

We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300.

A serious book reader would likely rather read an actual book, but I do agree e-ink is the next best option, and OLED or LCD aren't designed for reading full books, if you care about your eyes. That also said I do not think the Kindle is worth $300, even if they can not sell it much cheaper.

Quote:

If only Apple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

What discussion?

The MacBook Air is the best laptop I've ever owned, and doesn't suffer the sluggish performance issues that are inherent in 7-10" netbooks, and notebooks for that matter. Apple said the reason they went with a 13" model is to give users a full-size keyboard, and I happen to think that's not merely marketing, but rather that they are being sincere in what they say there. The keyboard on the Air is excellent and would not work anywhere near as well in a smaller size. Software keyboards are not same thing, so don't go there, please.

So although they didn't give a number of Mac fanboys what they wanted when they released the Air, I think the Air was the better move on their part, and I'm glad I own one. I own the SSD model, and you only need loot at my (current) signature to know my experiences with that.

Apple releasing a tablet is a completely different matter, which I have been known to discuss to death in the past. It's a different thing, and some people will always want a physical keyboard on their Mac, and the Air and products like it will be there for them when they do. Whatever size the Air is or was when it was released wouldn't change the fact that Apple has and would have had regardless some kind of touch-screen tablet in their product pipeline. The iPhone put that train on its tracks and there's going back.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces