or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces - Page 3

post #81 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Those $600 iPhones who's debut had huge lines 2 years ago are worthless today and laying in the garbage heap of technology today.

Hardly. They are all jailbroken and running on T-mobile or shipped to the third world. Nobody is throwing them away.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #82 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

So now your speaking for "most people" .... how misguided and arrogant!

So you think most people then are impulsive/compulsive shoppers.
I'M not speaking for most people by that statement if you understood grammar.
post #83 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hardly. They are all jailbroken and running on T-mobile or shipped to the third world. Noboby is throwing them away.

Well I have always heard that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" so you do have a point- somewhat. \
post #84 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm going to posit that there is no chance at all that an Apple Tablet will be an e-reader, at all.

That's just as silly, but in the other direction. The iPhone is already an e-reader, and Apple didn't have to lift a finger to make it so.

I see that I made a mistake in my post. I meant the iTunes Store, not just iTunes. I'll go back and fix that. Then my post should be clearer: The technologies to do an e-reader right are in place now. There will presumably be an App Store. There are already plans to sell magazines through the iTunes Store. All that's needed is a tablet and an app.

Apple doesn't actually have to do anything, although in my opinion it would help if they did. Really, the question is not whether the tablet will become an e-reader--it will--but whether it will do so because publishers see an opportunity to go that way and act independently, or because Steve Jobs sees an opportunity to revolutionize publishing for the second time. Apple didn't lead the desktop publishing revolution the first time. They just provided the platform that made it possible.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #85 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I have always heard that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" so you do have a point- somewhat. \

NY has a lot of rude angry snobs. I used to work there several years ago. So glad to be somewhere pleasant now. That place will make you crazy. So I can sort of understand your issues.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #86 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I not speaking for most people by that statement if you understood grammar.

HaHaHa ... pot, meet kettle!

quote from TechDud: " most people do their homework prior to purchasing big ticket items"
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #87 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

HaHaHa ... pot, meet kettle!

quote from TechDud: " most people do their homework prior to purchasing big ticket items"

Well I tried to get you to understand in plain English and it didn't work so I thought I'd try Ebonics.
post #88 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The whole marketing of the MacBook Air was based on its looks (read thinness) as it could fit in an interoffice envelope. Its whole raison d'etre was that is was sooo thin and light in its weight. It was supposed to make us like something just because it looked like a thin notepad and weighed like a feather. I could care less for the skinny underpowered bitch myself.

I carry my laptop in my briefcase to and from work every day. The formfactor of the MacBook Air appeals to me more than any other computer because it is thin (so I can fit as much other stuff in my case as I need) and light (so I can carry everything with ease).

Reducing the footprint to a 10 inch screen or 8 inch screen (with its accompanying non-standard keyboard) helps me not at all and leaves me with the aforementioned tiny keyboard.

I would never go so far as to state that the smaller footprint netbook computers are not good for some, but they would be of no use to me at all. To simply assert that the skinnyness of the Air is useless for all (just because you don't value that feature) falls somewhere between egocentricism and idiocy.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #89 of 132
so.. by the end of 2010.. i can get an apple tablet?

heh..

looks like the chrome OS is an ideal OS for ANY tablet.. wut will apple do?... OR.. what do they have something better up in their sleeves?
post #90 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I tried to get you to understand in plain English and it didn't work so I thought I'd try Ebonics.

Before learning a "second language" you might try fully learning the one you post in .... that would be a big help.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #91 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I carry my laptop in my briefcase to and from work every day. The formfactor of the MacBook Air appeals to me more than any other computer because it is thin (so I can fit as much other stuff in my case as I need) and light (so I can carry everything with ease).

Reducing the footprint to a 10 inch screen or 8 inch screen (with its accompanying non-standard keyboard) helps me not at all and leaves me with the aforementioned tiny keyboard.

I would never go so far as to state that the smaller footprint netbook computers are not good for some, but they would be of no use to me at all. To simply assert that the skinnyness of the Air is useless for all (just because you don't value that feature) falls somewhere between egocentricism and idiocy.

You still don't get that I stated a notebook not a netbook which is full powered. the footprint of the MBA is too large- same as the 13" and that is why Apple is devloping this smaller form factor because they don't have anything in the 7 to 10" range.
post #92 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

That's just as silly, but in the other direction. The iPhone is already an e-reader, and Apple didn't have to lift a finger to make it so.

Absolutely.

The problem that people are having in determining how much people will pay for a tablet and what it will do is that no tablet computer has yet found a niche or a "killer app" and become widely popular. There is nothing to compare it to. (If there is, then the product is doomed already because a retread of old ideas isn't going to fly no matter how beautiful the package.)
The Kindle is, however, percieved as successful right now and it looks to some like a modified tablet. With the Apple tablet rumors, then, people with little imagination can only picture it as a fancy e-reader.

Incidentally, before the iPhone came out, people could only see it as a "iPod-phone" because there was nothing like the iPhone in existance. People will never pay hundreds for that, they said before they even knew what it would really be.

Because the iPhone is so much more than a phone with music capabilities, and because Jobs himself has apparently taken the tablet as a signature item (like he did the iPhone) one has to assume that it will do things most of us haven't thought of or even realize we want to do.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #93 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You would be rather shocked that teh machines I have. My Apple systems are by far the slowest systems I own.

I would not be shocked, I don't care at all. Most modern computers have twice as much power as the the average user needs.

From my perspective, I can easily make a lot of money with a Mac. Even our fast Windows machines are so awkwardly non-intuitive, I could probably make more money collecting aluminum cans than I could using those dinosaurs. Once in a long while I have to use a piece of Windows software to finish a job but it is really, really rare.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #94 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You still don't get that I stated a notebook not a netbook which is full powered. the footprint of the MBA is too large- same as the 13" and that is why Apple is devloping this smaller form factor because they don't have anything in the 7 to 10" range.

I understand that you want something with a smaller footprint. That is your right to want that.

Have you considered that the MacBook Air was not intended to be what you wanted? You call it a failure because it doesn't fit your need, but are ignoring that it does fit my needs.
Now, no one argues that the Air is a runaway blockbuster success. But Apple is selling them and it fits their target image. Mild success, I would say, not falure.

Bottom line:
I would be happy if Apple decided to produce a 7-10 inch notebook for you if it helped their bottom line.
And I would not call it a failure simply because it did not fit my needs.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #95 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I understand that you want something with a smaller footprint. That is your right to want that.

Have you considered that the MacBook Air was not intended to be what you wanted? You call it a failure because it doesn't fit your need, but are ignoring that it does fit my needs.
Now, no one argues that the Air is a runaway blockbuster success. But Apple is selling them and it fits their target image. Mild success, I would say, not falure.

Bottom line:
I would be happy if Apple decided to produce a 7-10 inch notebook for you if it helped their bottom line.
And I would not call it a failure simply because it did not fit my needs.

And where did I call it a failure? All I said Apple has failed and missed out on the 7- 10" form factor for more than 2 years now. We are finally approaching Apple's launch date for this size and will see if it was worth the wait.
Bottom line:
Enjoy your portable typewriter-I'm glad it suits your needs.
post #96 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Price is a factor for the majority of consumers. Also the main issue with price on this is OLED would be the majority of the price increase. Consumers, not even Apple consumers are going to pay an extra 1000.00 just for an OLED option. Even more so if they understand the limitations of the technology.

I don't know why the critics are so appaled by the possibility of an expensive OLED option in an unannounced product. Clearly, the LED version would be the better choice for most everybody if these price estimates hold up. If some people with extra discretionary income choose to make the upgrade for little percieved value, why does it matter to you?

The real questions are: Will the $700-$1000 LCD version be compelling? Will it change things like the iPhone did?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #97 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bottom line:
Enjoy your portable typewriter-I'm glad it suits your needs.

Thank you.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #98 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Absolutely.

The problem that people are having in determining how much people will pay for a tablet and what it will do is that no tablet computer has yet found a niche or a "killer app" and become widely popular. There is nothing to compare it to. (If there is, then the product is doomed already because a retread of old ideas isn't going to fly no matter how beautiful the package.)
The Kindle is, however, percieved as successful right now and it looks to some like a modified tablet. With the Apple tablet rumors, then, people with little imagination can only picture it as a fancy e-reader.

Incidentally, before the iPhone came out, people could only see it as a "iPod-phone" because there was nothing like the iPhone in existance. People will never pay hundreds for that, they said before they even knew what it would really be.

Because the iPhone is so much more than a phone with music capabilities, and because Jobs himself has apparently taken the tablet as a signature item (like he did the iPhone) one has to assume that it will do things most of us haven't thought of or even realize we want to do.

well said..

thaz why the anticipation is high and expections are even higher. I really don't care how much it costs, if it makes my everyday life more efficient; I'd pay it at any price.

so before they reveal it.. i won't judge if it is "pricy"

on that note.. I fail to see how they going to fill the gap between a notebook and an iphone. Perhaps you say it's a "multi-touch netbook?" , Gee, let me see, so do i give up my phone and carry this with my laptop? or do i give up my laptop and carry this with my iphone? all 3 devices at once?

best case scenereo for me:
bye-bye MBP, iMac at home, Windows PC at work, "iTablet" to sync both machines, equipped with a bluetooth headset for the phone function, so i don't have to carry around my iphone, and ultimately, the headset would sync my iphone for the weekend when the iTablet is absent.

yarrrh? nooooo?..
post #99 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Indeed. We certainly don't need more Flash.

Well, speak for yourself. I don't care what SJ says - I'm missing Flash on my iPhone. \
post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I have a clue, and it's that Apple will shock and impress yet again with its next new product, and it will yet again shut up all you silly naysayers as the lines form at its stores.

Mate, Apple hasn't shocked nor impressed with last couple of iMac, iPod... even MacBook reiterations; all small evolutionary upgrades to original design, which again in most cases wasn't much more than nice to look at.

I understand SJ managed to fine-tune some people mindset so that they rejoice in almost religious euphoria on his every showing, even if he'd just be showing new $100 beer bottle opener with Apple logo... but realistically, $2000 tablet wouldn't cover much more than Paris- Hilton-circle-of-friends market segment.
post #101 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, speak for yourself. I don't care what SJ says - I'm missing Flash on my iPhone. \

Me too- and I use flash on my 3 year old Itel iMac and it works just fine. I am so glad I got the special order graphics RAM.
post #102 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple greed for a tablet at $2,000 is preposterous. We already have Zinio to read magazines on our Macs and serious book readers have the Kindle, B&N Reader, etc for $300. If only APple had given us a 7-10" notebook (not netbook) 2 years ago we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Its not for nothing that the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's best selling Mac- it's its small size.

And price.

13" MacBook pro here in NZ starts with NZ$1999.

Cheapest C2D 13" PCs usually start around NZ$1500+, a bit cheaper but you can also get plastic MacBook for same money (more or less).

Good 13" PCs like EliteBook or T300 all start over NZ$2000, which makes MacBook Pro very tempting. In fact, if I decide to go for 13" on my next laptop purchase, MacBook is likely to be favourite (considering current offerings).

However, 15" MacBook Pro starts with NZ$2900... not so good, not at all...
post #103 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

but realistically, $2000 tablet wouldn't cover much more than Paris- Hilton-circle-of-friends market segment.

No sh!t Sherlock.
Sorry to be rude, but it is tiresome that people keep complaining about the (rumored) $2K OLED model as if there wasn't also a (rumored) $700 LED version.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #104 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Try not to sink to that level. Although the guy is wacky to say the least, I try not to resort to that sort of name calling. I know you mean no harm, I'm just trying to keep the peace round here.

When he gets too much I usually go tell him to have a coffee or a nap, it's for the best.

Some people get a kick out of calling other people (companies, products) silly names.

You are making valid attempt here, but I wouldn't hold my breath... \
post #105 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

No sh!t Sherlock.
Sorry to be rude, but it is tiresome that people keep complaining about the (rumored) $2K OLED model as if there wasn't also a (rumored) $700 LED version.

That's fine, my dear Watson

I did say would not, instead of will not. That is because I don't expect it to happen. I'd expect OLED to come with later updates, as one of new key features.

But if it does come out, I expect it to flop just based on price.

My opinion only. And in that line - I don't have any final opinion on $700, so I'm not stating it. Still high price, but might be acceptable for me if device is right. I did pay contract-free 3GS more than that, anyway.

But for $2K, my opinion is pretty much well formed - I can't think of a feature I need that would justify that price, and thus the reason why I'm commenting only that option.

Does this make more sense?
post #106 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

...The Suzuki...

I am gonna have to remember this one...!
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #107 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

I'm going to posit that there is no chance at all that an Apple Tablet will merely, or even mostly, be an e-reader. That's completely nuts. Nonetheless, it's worth looking at that application to see what Apple is going for and what technologies make sense in that light.

Let's look at the publishing industry. Look down. No, look farther down. See that rapidly receding figure about to go splat at the bottom of the cliff? No, farther down. Yeah, the speck. That's the publishing industry. They are looking at what Apple did for the music industry and thinking that maybe they want a piece of that. Circulation of physical media is down sharply, and physical media is expensive and labor-intensive to produce.

Now, let's look at the Kindle. Superficially, it solves this problem, except for one little tiny thing: It offers roughly the same reading experience that users of NCSA Mosaic experienced on the web in 1995. The font is always the same. The background is always the same. Images bring back fond memories of the days when .xbms roamed the web. The design that remains is one step above what you can get by downloading books from Project Gutenberg and reading them in TextEdit. This leads to two other problems that a heavy user of the Kindle that I know well has run into: First, as there are no pages, it's useless for scholarly work: You can't generate footnotes. Second, and far more serious, is the problem that since all books look and feel exactly alike, they all blend together and it becomes difficult and tedious to figure out exactly where that passage is that you're looking for, or to remember who said what.

For these and for other reasons, publishers really sweat things like paper and margins and typeface when they set a document up for print. In the case of magazines, there's a house style; in the case of books, each is a one-off. But everything from the weight of the type to the feel of the paper is part of the experience of reading a book or an article. Would the New Yorker still be the New Yorker in Times New Roman?

Fortunately, Apple has a handle on publishing. They have a handle on presentation. Solving the problem of how to most effectively bring publishing into the electronic age is right up their alley. They just have to look at the problems and how to solve them. The stickiest wicket is almost certainly font licensing. Books and magazines can use pricey fonts from legendary foundries because the font itself never leaves the publisher. But if you typeset your document in, say, Sentinel and then e-publish it, Hoefler & Frere-Jones would like to 1) have some say in the structure of that license, and 2) have some assurance that people won't be able to extract the font they got with a $2 magazine and use it for free. HTML5 does not solve this problem. Adobe AIR does. The foundry gets paid, the magazine or book gets its distinctive look, and the reader gets to associate (and merge) the visual impact of the font and layout with (and into) the contents of the book. If there are pages then 1) that's another win for designers, and 2) the e-reader can be used for scholarship, not just for entertainment, making it better not only for scholars, but for students.

The tactile feel would be gone, but I can imagine using a visual sample of real paper instead of just blank white as a background, and including a page-turning sound appropriate to the size and weight of the "paper" when the reader flips a page, to come as close as is practicable to replicating a book. There can be all sorts of advantages, like dog-earing pages and writing in the margins non-destructively.

Then comes the hard part: Apple has to make this run and run well on an ARM processor without putting an undue strain on the battery.

If Apple pulls this off, they can do for textual publishing what the iTunes Store did for music publishing, and they can use the iTunes Store to do it.

Awesome post...!
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #108 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I appreciate your advice, I really do, but look over his posting history...

I'd rather ride a wire brush

Trust me, I know you have your points, and I'm sure you're 100% right, but I try not to encourage or discourage him too much. You cannot win against a crazy person, not that ts is crazy or anything
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #109 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Some people get a kick out of calling other people (companies, products) silly names.

You are making valid attempt here, but I wouldn't hold my breath... \

If you hold your breath for too long I here you can die
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #110 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You tell him not to call me a name and then call me a name. Now that's rich!

I only did that out of affection for you! ☺

You think I thought you'd miss that?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #111 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I could care less for the skinny underpowered bitch myself.

You couldn't be more wrong about Shakira.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #112 of 132
I have definitely provoked him too much now. Now I shall go get a cuppa, for a change
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #113 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Most of the time 70% of people in an Apple store are teenagers either playing around with the isight on an iMac or using an iPhone they are never going to buy. If Apple charged admission to get into their stores you would be able to throw a gernade in there and not hit anyone.

Yes, that must be why the Apple Stores sell more merchandise per sq ft than any other store by a large margin...
post #114 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everytime I go in there- its teenagers on facebook or myspace hogging up the machines or genius bar problems.

Yes, that must be why the Apple Stores sell more merchandise per sq ft than any other store by a large margin...
post #115 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd rather ride a wire brush

Trust me, I know you have your points, and I'm sure you're 100% right, but I try not to encourage or discourage him too much. You cannot win against a crazy person, not that ts is crazy or anything

Why must you encourage newbee? And you're sure he's 100% right? Yet I'm the crazy one-right?
post #116 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Yes, that must be why the Apple Stores sell more merchandise per sq ft than any other store by a large margin...

OMG- another one. One has nothing to do with the other! You need to reread all the prior posts- I can't spoon feed, I simply can't.
post #117 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh you're sooo condenscending yet ignorant. I guess I need to explain something so obvious to everyone but you- I would have thought you much smarter than that.
The whole marketing of the MacBook Air was based on its looks (read thinness) as it could fit in an interoffice envelope. Its whole raison d'etre was that is was sooo thin and light in its weight. It was supposed to make us like something just because it looked like a thin notepad and weighed like a feather. I could care less for the skinny underpowered bitch myself.

You still don't get Apple (or marketing in general for that matter). The whole point of the MacBook Air was to design the thinest, lightest full size notebook for people who hate to carry a computer around.

It's conception first. Marketing comes later. If the product is crap, no amount of marketing will save it.

Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for the rest of us, you were dead wrong (once again) with your prediction that the MacBook Air was going to be a failure.
post #118 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why must you encourage newbee? And you're sure he's 100% right? Yet I'm the crazy one-right?

Not sure about nothing.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #119 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I can't spoon feed, I simply can't.

Which reminds me, true story:

Two weeks ago or so ago, I was having brunch with a friend of mine in a diner, and this rather repulsive unwashed, unshaven, overweight, middle aged man with greasy hair poking out under his baseball cap and his plaid shirt hanging out over his gut, came in with a younger guy. The older guy was spewing such total nonsense about Apple that I was wondering whether or not I was in the presence of the infamous teckstud.

The way he was holding his fork with his fist and shoveling his food in his mouth while talking with his mouth full, it's no wonder his friend had to excuse himself to go to the bathroom.

Anyway, just wondering...
post #120 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


But if it does come out, I expect it to flop just based on price.

Well, yes and no.
If the only real difference between the two (rumored) options was the screen, then the super-deluxe-extra-money-lookit-what-I-got OLED version doesn't have to move many units to avoid "flop" status. Assuming that research and development and production costs can be shared with the low end model, of course. I would expect it to be the LCD version that determines the success of the platform for at least the first few years.
Meanwhile, the OLED version would keep Apple's fingers in the "chic" pie (good for image) until such time as costs come down and then they would be well positioned with a refined/optimized OLED device (good for R&D). Again, this is predicated on (what Apple considers) the low end model succeeding.

Quote:
My opinion only. And in that line - I don't have any final opinion on $700, so I'm not stating it. Still high price, but might be acceptable for me if device is right. I did pay contract-free 3GS more than that, anyway.

I agree. There is no way to know at this point. Optimists can point to Apple's successes (iPod, iPhone) and pessimists can point to their dissapointments (Apple Hi-Fi, Apple TV) but no one here really knows what this device will offer for its price...

Quote:
But for $2K, my opinion is pretty much well formed - I can't think of a feature I need that would justify that price, and thus the reason why I'm commenting only that option.

Does this make more sense?

Yes, thank you.

But I still think outrage or indignation at the price of the high end is misplaced. If the OLED screens add that much to the cost, who cares if Apple offeres it to those who may be interested. It is the LCD version that has the possibility of changing the game (again).
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces