or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Web search statistics show Bing stagnant, Google growing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Web search statistics show Bing stagnant, Google growing

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Following a press release from ComScore indicating that Microsoft has approached 10% market share with Bing, more comprehensive search statistics indicate that Bing's growth and share of web search is being wildly overstated.

ComScore's October "US Core Search" rankings made headlines in suggesting that Microsoft's Bing, combined with the company's other search properties, have incrementally amassed a significant share of US search, now at 9.9%.

However, ComScore's press release points out in small type that "searches for mapping, local directory, and user-generated video sites that are not on the core domain of the five search engines are not included in the core search numbers."

Microsoft doesn't have a big share of the mapping, local directory, and user generated search market. By removing this from its "core" rankings, ComScore greatly inflates Bing's importance, because the vast majority search related to maps, local search, and "user generated video" (why not just say "YouTube") are all owned by Google. Microsoft's own "Soapbox" effort to match Google's YouTube failed and was shut down in August after a three year run.

When looking at more neutral statistics that don't gerrymander figures to arrive at a desired conclusion, the facts are very different.

Net Application's search engine market share figures have been tracking the industry since at least 2000. For October 2009, the latest full month recorded, it gave Microsoft Bing just a 3.49% share of all search globally, along with 0.08% share for MSN Search and 0.01% share for Microsoft Live Search. Yahoo Search took second place with 6.68%, leaving the lion's share for Google at 84.53%.

This establishes the trend AppleInsider reported this summer that despite glowing press releases for Bing, Google keeps eating away more and more of the web search market globally, while Microsoft and Yahoo continue to remain stagnant.

As the chart below shows, in the four years between 2004 and 2008, Google incrementally shifted from having almost 60% share to having a dominating +75% share, while Yahoo fell from 18.5% to 12.7% and Microsoft fell from 14% to 6.3%.

Over the last two years since, Google has continued to gain share while Yahoo's dropped to the current figure of 6.7% and Microsoft's Bing, MSN and Live Search combined amounted to just 3.5% of the global web search market.

post #2 of 66
I have been using Bing when booted in to Boot Camp just because it's the default in IE8. But a couple of times I have manually typed in the Google URL in frustration.

I thought after all these years of competition the search services would know each other's tricks and it wouldn't matter which I used, but Bing really is crappier than Google.
post #3 of 66
Is it just me, or does it look like Google's share increased around the time that Bing launched?
post #4 of 66
Hey Prince what is a three run? Was it a three year or three month run? I honestly never even heard of soap box.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #5 of 66
Last I checked, Apple has no stance in the web search market. So why is this here?

Anyhow, I gave Bing a go once. Took me on average 5 clicks and one re-wording to get to what I wanted. Google it was usually in the first 3 results of the first page. Bing and decide... to not use Bing!

I like competition, but sadly Bing (One syllable is easier to pronounce than two? Binging instead of Googling? I think that was part of the marketing idea.) didn't bring any competition from what I saw. M$ shouldn't try to enter into all these different markets. They should stick with OSs and Office and Servers. If they focus their resources on one good area, instead of trying to get into all these different markets, then their products will benefit. I feel they are stretching themselves too thin. Both Apple and Google need to be wary of this too as they both are oozing into other markets.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Both Apple and Google need to be wary of this too as they both are oozing into other markets.

Difference is, when Apple oozes into other markets, it's mostly a win. When Microsoft oozes into other markets they're mostly collossal failures and/or bottomless billion dollar money pits. So the same advice is not applicable to both.
post #7 of 66
I know this sounds like a broken record, but Bing has no Bang... How many times have you typed in a search and it's taken way longer than if using Safari or Google to find what you are looking for? Click after freaking click. Not good...
Mr. Scott
Reply
Mr. Scott
Reply
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

I know this sounds like a broken record, but Bing has no Bang... How many times have you typed in a search and it's taken way longer than if using Safari or Google to find what you are looking for? Click after freaking click. Not good...

I tried Bing Maps once and was impressed. I like the 'angled' view and the fact that I could view a street from both sides as it were.
post #9 of 66
Those four years from 2004-2008 sure went by fast.
post #10 of 66
What? An analyst misrepresented facts to make MSFT look good? Really?!? Well, knock me over with a feather.
post #11 of 66
I get all my Microsoft news from apple insider!

Seriously, why the hell is this here? So everyone can join in on bashing MS some more? That's getting old. It's like listening to the AMD vs Intel guys or the NVidia vs ATI guys. It's just plain stupid.

If this was a technology news site it would be different. This is a site focused on Apple, not it's competitors. Saying something like "It's here because Microsoft's success has an effect on Apple" is completely vague and means you could post a number of articles on many different companies.
post #12 of 66
What's the point of Bing? What does it really, substantially offer over Google and Google's integrated services?
post #13 of 66
Dan, Ballmer was telling me he wants to have dinner with you this weekend. Try not to kill one another

To be fair I do think you need to easy off on the Microsoft posts however. This is Apple Insider after all, or am I wrong?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Difference is, when Apple oozes into other markets, it's mostly a win. When Microsoft oozes into other markets they're mostly collossal failures and/or bottomless billion dollar money pits. So the same advice is not applicable to both.

Yes, it has mostly been wins for Apple. I'm just saying for in the future if the decide to continue the ooze, they could end up being stretched too thin. The viscosity of Apple is much higher than Microsoft, but still, there could be a point when the surface tension breaks if they ooze out too far. (Then again, maybe I'm taking the ooze analogy too far.)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I get all my Microsoft news from apple insider!

Seriously, why the hell is this here? So everyone can join in on bashing MS some more? That's getting old. It's like listening to the AMD vs Intel guys or the NVidia vs ATI guys. It's just plain stupid.

If this was a technology news site it would be different. This is a site focused on Apple, not it's competitors. Saying something like "It's here because Microsoft's success has an effect on Apple" is completely vague and means you could post a number of articles on many different companies.

Thank you. I'm sick of it too.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #16 of 66
Isn't Microsoft-bashing the flip side of Apple-loving?

I was thinking someone should tell Steve Ballmer that Bing is a "rounding error" in the search engine market.
post #17 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Isn't Microsoft-bashing the flip side of Apple-loving?

For "the Prince" it's the other half of the same side of the same coin.

Personally I never liked Microsoft bashing. What I don't like I try to ignore. At least MS can make a friggin' mouse.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I get all my Microsoft news from apple insider!

Seriously, why the hell is this here? So everyone can join in on bashing MS some more? That's getting old. It's like listening to the AMD vs Intel guys or the NVidia vs ATI guys. It's just plain stupid.

If this was a technology news site it would be different. This is a site focused on Apple, not it's competitors. Saying something like "It's here because Microsoft's success has an effect on Apple" is completely vague and means you could post a number of articles on many different companies.

Where's the "Like" button?
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I like competition, but sadly Bing (One syllable is easier to pronounce than two? Binging instead of Googling? I think that was part of the marketing idea.) didn't bring any competition from what I saw.

Once again, MS was off and in this case, by one individual letter - "a"!

Had "Bing" been called "Bang", then the act of "Binging" becomes "Banging" and MS would have at least secured the male search demographic age of 15 - 199!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Once again, MS was off and in this case, by one individual letter - "a"!

Had "Bing" been called "Bang", then the act of "Binging" becomes "Banging" and MS would have at least secured the male search demographic age of 15 - 199!

Well put!
post #21 of 66
This chart shows that Bing has gained marketshare from Yahoo around the time of its launch while Google is not phased by either.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Thank you. I'm sick of it too.

and yet... here you are, 3 comments on a page you didn't want to find on AI.
what gives?

i don't mind finding articles like it here. as a mac user that almost never has to touch windows, i don't read up much on what microsoft is doing.

read the headlines first - usually that gives you a vague idea of the article's topic.
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

and yet... here you are, 3 comments on a page you didn't want to find on AI.
what gives?

i don't mind finding articles like it here. as a mac user that almost never has to touch windows, i don't read up much on what microsoft is doing.

read the headlines first - usually that gives you a vague idea of the article's topic.

I also post on Apple only topics too. And there are times when I ignore the topic (both MS only and Apple only). I'm also not the only one who has an issue with MS topics being posted in an Apple rumor site. Especially this topic where Apple has NO market stance. They do not have a search engine. I can read the headline, and I knew it was an MS only article before I posted to it.

So... what is your point? You apparently commented just to yell at me when there are others here too with the same issue as me. Please respond to them too if you wish to be fair.

(Even though I say "This is unrelated to Apple", I will still offer my personal insight on the topic since it was presented.)


But what I am really sick of are the articles for purely MS bashing, like in this case. Doesn't help the "Apple Snobbery" attitude that I know Apple fans are trying to get away from. (Me, I'll bash MS, Apple, and Linux equally... I use all three on a daily basis. I will also state when any of them does something well too.)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Once again, MS was off and in this case, by one individual letter - "a"!

Had "Bing" been called "Bang", then the act of "Binging" becomes "Banging" and MS would have at least secured the male search demographic age of 15 - 199!

And after I'm done banging, I'll squirt you with my Zune!
post #25 of 66
OMG-
BING has been around only since June 2009 and already has 10% marketshare as Google has been entrenched like forever. It took Apple 25 years to get that in OS.
Give it up already.
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OMG-
BING has been around only since June 2009 and already has 10% marketshare as Google has been entrenched like forever. It took Apple 25 years to get that in OS.
Give it up already.

Uhm... I'm not quite following here. Are you suggesting that Apple give up since it took them 25 years to reach 10%? Web search vrs. OS is like comparing a Typewriter to a lightning strike. Both do stuff I suppose.

Now, if you mean that MS should give up on Bing, that I would agree with. I see it only hurting the company, and they could use that group of employees to work on the meat of their operation. Work on the software that runs on computers to make it better!

Please clarify what you mean here.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #27 of 66
I'm not surprised Bing isn't gaining ground on Google. I hate the constant "In Your Face" pop ups of Bing technology. The sooner it goes away the better.
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For "the Prince" it's the other half of the same side of the same coin.

Personally I never liked Microsoft bashing. What I don't like I try to ignore. At least MS can make a friggin' mouse.

well, heck, i enjoy MS bashing. and i don't like any kind of purism.

now that we have stated our personal preferences, i suggest you simply don't read what does not interest you - nor bother to comment grumpily on it (unless being a sourpuss is what you enjoy!). AI doesn't force you to click on every or any article.

on the other hand, if the criticism is AI doesn't post enough articles these days that you find worth reading, that is certainly a valid point to assert.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Uhm... I'm not quite following here. Are you suggesting that Apple give up since it took them 25 years to reach 10%? Web search vrs. OS is like comparing a Typewriter to a lightning strike. Both do stuff I suppose.

Now, if you mean that MS should give up on Bing, that I would agree with. I see it only hurting the company, and they could use that group of employees to work on the meat of their operation. Work on the software that runs on computers to make it better!

Please clarify what you mean here.

As usual hes trying to find any way to say Apple sucks. That is what he means. That is what he always means so making valid points are not likely. hes also not understanding that Bing didnt start with a 0% marketshare. That is had about 8.5% when MS switched names and that two years ago their search engine had more marketshare than they do currently.

So far, Bing has helped them gain a little back but only at the expense of Yahoo. I disagree with MS giving this up. Even at 10% they are likely to still be making a profit here. Better than their HW-based products, thats for sure.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So far, Bing has helped them gain a little back but only at the expense of Yahoo. I disagree with MS giving this up. Even at 10% they are likely to still be making a profit here. Better than their HW-based products, thats for sure.

Yeah, they should drop the HW-based stuff first, then the web search. Or sell off the web search to someone else, or make it a separate company. I don't see how they can make that much profit on a web search. My real point is that I'd like to see MS regain their focus on software.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Last I checked, Apple has no stance in the web search market. So why is this here?

Anyhow, I gave Bing a go once. Took me on average 5 clicks and one re-wording to get to what I wanted. Google it was usually in the first 3 results of the first page. Bing and decide... to not use Bing!

I like competition, but sadly Bing (One syllable is easier to pronounce than two? Binging instead of Googling? I think that was part of the marketing idea.) didn't bring any competition from what I saw. M$ shouldn't try to enter into all these different markets. They should stick with OSs and Office and Servers. If they focus their resources on one good area, instead of trying to get into all these different markets, then their products will benefit. I feel they are stretching themselves too thin. Both Apple and Google need to be wary of this too as they both are oozing into other markets.

What's the default search engine for Safari? Google right?

I like Bing. It is useful on my Windows 7 systems since it is the default (too lazy to change it yet).
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Uhm... I'm not quite following here. Are you suggesting that Apple give up since it took them 25 years to reach 10%? Web search vrs. OS is like comparing a Typewriter to a lightning strike. Both do stuff I suppose.

Now, if you mean that MS should give up on Bing, that I would agree with. I see it only hurting the company, and they could use that group of employees to work on the meat of their operation. Work on the software that runs on computers to make it better!

Please clarify what you mean here.

BING has been around for 5 months- you do the math.
post #33 of 66
It must really annoy M$ that they have not managed to copy another successful concept and do well for so long. The list of things they rip off and assume they can succeed with that then tank is staggering. What was their last success in a rip off? Mac OS is a long time ago I know .. was it Netscape?

Damn it they might have to hire someone to have an original thought!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Yeah, they should drop the HW-based stuff first, then the web search. Or sell off the web search to someone else, or make it a separate company. I don't see how they can make that much profit on a web search. My real point is that I'd like to see MS regain their focus on software.

MS takes a lot of crap for their software and obviously does compete with Apple’s software, but they have a very different business model than Apple so doing direct comparisons are not easy. I can’t begrudge Windows for supporting so much legacy HW and SW because they have no choice. What I love about Mac OS X won’t even won’t in the Enterprise and what makes Windows successful simply won’t make me happy as a consumer.

Win7 is good for MS and their Home Server OS is pretty nice, too. Apple’s move in making iWork, which is good enough for many consumers, the open source apps and the Mac marketshare increase may have forced MS to make a much better version of Office for Mac. I’m looking forward to seeing how Outlook for Mac will work. Hopefully better than Entourage.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OMG-
BING has been around only since June 2009 and already has 10% marketshare as Google has been entrenched like forever. It took Apple 25 years to get that in OS.
Give it up already.

Uh . . . the two aren't even comparable. What on earth are you trying to say?
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Uh . . . the two aren't even comparable. What on earth are you trying to say?

Quadra, are you honestly expecting a pragmatic answer?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 66
this is not good news at all. google is now apple's #1 competitor.
post #38 of 66
There is nothing "bashing" about presenting correct information.

If you have a problem with the truth "bashing" your preconceived notions, perhaps you need to consider more facts and change your worldview, rather than complain about "bashing."

Sounds like a crowd of Sarah Palin supporters all crying about her being "bashed" by Katie Couric when asked what news sources she reads. Call a waaaamulance!
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quadra, are you honestly expecting a pragmatic answer?

no . . .
post #40 of 66
Oh, my God, and article of Prince/Dan bashing Windows and accusing some site of parciality.

Prince forgets to say that comScore data it's only for US and Marketshare data is from worldwide.

And he also forgets to say that comScore report not only shows core search data but all the rest who gives 6,82% to MS, 12,48% to Yahoo and 63,30% to Google.

Quote:
Prince also forgets to give a link to the report, perhaps because someone can compare with it's article?

-> My fault. I apologize for this comment, the link was in the article.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Web search statistics show Bing stagnant, Google growing