or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google outlines Chrome OS plans for netbooks

Google outlines Chrome OS plans for netbooks - Page 3

post #81 of 120
This definitely has a market... My mother-in-law thinks her computer IS the internet.

But then I look at my computer and see Photoshop, GTA, my gigabytes of media... Web-computing will not be viable for the masses for quite some time.

Until we get there, however, Apple should really consider "cloud-ing" iTunes, and SOON! I should be able to access and play my iTunes purchases (as well as home media) from any authenticated terminal.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #82 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

So Chrome OS isn't for you. That's okay
Privacy would be a concern for me too. I would make sure it couldn't see any of my files on my computer. But what would concern me more would be directed advertising. I doubt we could install pop-up blockers and such, and most of the Ads we would get on the OS would be dictated by our browsing history. You make a very valid concern!

I share these two concerns about privacy and being bombarded by ads. I admit being prejudiced. I usually opt-out in many situations that build a profile of your habits. I always say "who owns that data collected about you?" The other entity, not you, and they decide how to use it, and you have few, if any, legal remedies if that data is used in a manner you don't like.

I do favor greater competition, and the Chrome OS may provide that; it is an interesting idea. Some people may like or appreciate a machine that is just a web-browser, and don't care about the terms of use. I wouldn't accept those terms.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #83 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Glad you tried out Linux variants! I meant using the linux os to build a Google OS, as stated in the document that tells you how to build ChromiumOS.

No need. As expected, though perhaps not this fast, its up on The PirateBay. Since its an open source OS its completely legal to torrent this file.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5170...10-a1.vmdk.bz2
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #84 of 120
If I can't run Logic, Shake, Final Cut, Acid, Nuendo, Cubase, Photoshop, illustrator, Pages, Numbers, Rapid Weaver, a better file attributes, After Effects.... I think you get the drift, then it's no OS.

Now, give me a way to fast switch 100% off the computers resources ( you can't due to the other os running, you would need a large swap file), but if it could be done for those times when I just want to do the web stuff, I'm sold but what's the difference between that and the Chrome browser which fir some uncanny reason, I see more mac users going to it then windows. Maybe not.

Anyone have a link to a live demo? not the cartoon drawing dude talking about the web.
I would apprecuatw that. Thanks.
post #85 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This will definitely catch on. Google is a big name company. Google is now, both a verb and a noun. And that makes it popular and powerful.

Microsoft is about to be cut into size for the first time. How this is going to work on Apple computers is anybody's guess. Come to think of it, Apple computers are meant for more than web browsing. Should Apple worry about Chrome OS? Not at all...

Oh, and PCs (only >80% of market share) are only used for websurfing??!!!
I THINK NOT
Much as I wish for higher market shares for anyone besides the demonic MS&Intel alliance, it´s all been there before (Sun - where are they now??).
I don´t think Apple has to worry, but I don´t think it´s going to be easy for ChromeOS either...
post #86 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

If I can't run Logic, Shake, Final Cut, Acid, Nuendo, Cubase, Photoshop, illustrator, Pages, Numbers, Rapid Weaver, a better file attributes, After Effects.... I think you get the drift, then it's no OS.

You're missing the point. If you're the kind of person who doesn't need these apps you longer need a Windows box or a Mac after this OS hits the market, and it's free, so it makes the product even cheaper, and much faster for the things that person does. If you fail to see this then I'm glad you don't work under Steve Jobs. You can say it's not an OS all day long, but you're only fooling number 1.

It's not an OS in the way you understand the word, but it is a computer operating system, well it will be. That and the web is only going to improve.

Would I rather a Mac? Probably yeah, but I'm not everyone. Google just potentially grabbed 200 million users. The future computer world has Google in it whether you like it or not.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #87 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Like the AppleTVs?

Is that all you could come up with? AppleTV! Your standards are getting lower every day. Put your back into it. AppleTV... that was lame. Try again. But this time with style!
post #88 of 120
Apple already effectively tried this with the iPhone. Initially all apps were to be Net 2.0 apps - that model failed, thus the release of Cocoa Touch based development and the App store. That model has had explosive growth.

On an airplane with no internet, you can use your iPhone for many things, you can use your MacBook for many things. You'll be able to use your iTablet for many things. But what will a ChromeOS based NetBook be able to do?

The focus on fast boot times is nice, but I don't recall the last time I actually turned a computer off.

And the javascript/remote storage of data model limits the kinds of apps you can have. One issue is you expose all of your source code that way (unless you stick to flash - which is okay for games, but isn't practical for rich applications). Another issue is the speed of both code execution and data retrieval. iPhoto isn't going to work well, photoshop isn't going to work well, illustrator isn't going to work well, HD video playback isn't going to work well, etc.

There certainly seems to be a market here for simple/cheap internet access machines, I'm just not sure how broad it is beyond that.
post #89 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, most people do not.

Sorry, but yes they do?
You win, I've switched sides.
You win, I've switched sides.
post #90 of 120
Quote:

No, most people do not.

In terms of computing, notebooks are most popular. Over 50% in general and 74% from Apple, if I recall the last numbers correctly. Most auto sleep when you close the lid or go idle for to long on battery, by default. I only restart when instructed to have some issue, closing my lid pretty much every time to store my machine. I thought this was the common thing to do.
post #91 of 120
Interesting.

Web tablet: 10" OLED screen, ARM processor, 24-hour battery. Chrome OS.

Price: $200

Available: Holiday season 2010
post #92 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In terms of computing, notebooks are most popular. Over 50% in general and 74% from Apple, if I recall the last numbers correctly. Most auto sleep when you close the lid or go idle for to long on battery, by default. I only restart when instructed to have some issue, closing my lid pretty much every time to store my machine. I thought this was the common thing to do.

it is, and typically on the mac the machine is ready to go by the time the lid opens. Why turn it off? I haven't found a reason in years.
post #93 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

THANK YOU. Finally someone mentioned it. I think definitely Google has to rethink local machine caching of data and resync when connected to the cloud.

I mean, unless I'm reading the article wrong, basically your laptop is a BRICK if you are not in 3G/ WiFi coverage. Like if you are in a taxi or airplane or wifi-locked-down corporate building, and you desperately need that word document... your FKed, basically.

Overall good idea, this Chrome OS, overall good to nibble off Microsoft's feet. However, without LOCAL CACHING, outside the US and Europe (which is what could really, really matter for netbooks and cheap laptops ~ ie. the developing world) ... I don't know how successful this Chrome OS is going to be in 2011 and 2012. By 2011 and 2012 the most basic netbooks will run Windows 7 *fast* without worry.

Never heard of Google Gears? Try googling it.
post #94 of 120
Oddly, as both dev and user I'd prefer Android on a netbook. This is despite Google's large and growing infrastructure for easy web app development (GWT, Gears, App Engine, etc).

Being able to sell an app on an app store as opposed to needing to deal with deployment on App Engine and local storing to gears etc is just easier for a small dev IMHO. I can do it, it's just additional hassle.
post #95 of 120
"This is key, we want all of personal computing to work this way."

Yeah, of course Google wants the all the world's private data stored and indexed on their cloud. Good luck with that.
post #96 of 120
Quote:

Live Chrome OS Video stream.

Be sure to have Flip4Mac installed.

Thanks but was looking for something I could watch on iPhone. Ironic eh?
Apple TV, no dvr, iPhone, no flash. All these free shows yet apple wants us to buy the at iTunes. Hmmmm
have a link for the iPhone. Lol. Normally someone converts to YouTube.
Even here I've seen those little blue boxes when using the iPhone. Let's get real. Google "the truth behind why there is no flash on the iPhone"' it's all about adobes interface and control.

Edit: cool found it.
It wasn't here earlier but it's on YouTube now.
Peace. Just did share video and copied the email that was never meant to be sent. Grin

Edit: Just finished watching it. To me, this is what I thought Linux should have been years ago. The thing is, everyone knows google, it opens xls excel files without excel, it opens PDF files, it opens movie and jpegs with ease and GV Mobile rocks. Someone is going to take a hit. Should be very interesting esoecially since in the audio community, they already have sites where you can share or join in a session, for recording then you have applications like pixelmator that is cheap and does a lot of things Photoshop does.

I remember all the mocking I got when I predicted apple going to intel. Everyone said no way, wasn't going to happen.
I think the next bug thing will be companies like steinberg/avid/digidesign all having cloud computing. Some will be free. Others will just require a USB dongle with the proper licenses. Wow. Think about it. You do a rough mix at home, land in the Netherlands 13 hours later, open up your netbook, insert dingle and poof, your music project, plug INS and all are ready for you to go to work.

I see this a lot bigger then just some who want to browse the web really fast and this is just the TIP of things to come.
Use music for example. From a terminal mode, POV, there is no reason you can't have access via rental time, for your music project and access 4 16 core mac pros that you don't even own, the possibilities are endless. Video, same thing.
Next big thing will be server, rendering, cloud rentals as we push for taking as little as needed when going mobile.

Peace.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMrz...=youtube_gdata

Sent from iPhone*
post #97 of 120
Quote:

You're missing the point. If you're the kind of person who doesn't need these apps you longer need a Windows box or a Mac after this OS hits the market, and it's free, so it makes the product even cheaper, and much faster for the things that person does. If you fail to see this then I'm glad you don't work under Steve Jobs. You can say it's not an OS all day long, but you're only fooling number 1.

It's not an OS in the way you understand the word, but it is a computer operating system, well it will be. That and the web is only going to improve.

Would I rather a Mac? Probably yeah, but I'm not everyone. Google just potentially grabbed 200 million users. The future computer world has Google in it whether you like it or not.

A litte further down after watching the full demo, I've changed my mind a bit.
If this plays out right, as in, terminal mode, I don't see any reason you could work on a full music project with samples, virtual instruments, audioe files, FX and so on, hope on a plane, fly somewhere, then RENT 4 mac pros, insert a dongle, and poof, your terminal now has 64 cores to work with, plug-ins and all, at your command. And that's just one example.

Peace.
post #98 of 120
Quote:

As a rule for lAptops you are supposed to calibrate the battery but most don't. I might do it maybe 3,4 time a year and once in a while your supposed to let it go somlowtbat it goes to sleep, you go to bed and it trickles every last watt from the green led. That said, keeping the computer on runs the daily, monthly etc scripts for windows it defrags but keeping it on is a good thing. Every time you turn it off and then on, you intoducing it to shock, a small power surge, that's why most companies tell you to log off, they do their back ups and the machine stays on. If you go to move it, another rule of thumb is wait to see the green light flashing off and on, this means the hard drive stopped and it's safe to move, saddly a lot of people don't do that either.

Peace.
post #99 of 120
A bit of a stretch I know but what if they made it si when you went to MLB.com, in the background it's caching every link going deeper and deeper. Example it first caches evey link on the main page, then it goes through the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and caches everything it can, all in the background then the user goes to yahoo, same thing, like a web that goes deeper and deeper so a 10 minute online experience just caches 10 hours worth of reading so you can take long flights and use the laptop like it's connected via the web?

If I'm not mistaken, I think there is a program made specifically for doing just that. Would make sense plus it would help with things like your music, photos etc. I think this might be bigger then we think. Google already has a name. Everyone that works in pro audio and video wished Linux would catch on due to it's light footprint, maybe this is it, the Linux, if you will, for our generation.

Peace. 啊里我啊里面也素
post #100 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by theveeb View Post

The bigger roadblock is that the OS is not designed to have local storage for the media files that iTunes depends on, therefore no iTunes on Chrome OS.

That's exactly what i was thinking. But, I do remember reading an AI article a few months ago saying that Apple is greatly expanding it's own "Cloud" network in the Eastern US. So if Apple doing more Cloud computing, and so is Google. Perhaps a Cloud form of iTunes may be in the works. Consider this...iPods and the iPhone would be half the price if you didn't need all the storage for music and videos.

There are potential problems with a "Cloud" iTunes as well, of course. One being how would you keep all that music secure, and how would you transfer existing purchases and downloads in this Cloud? Plus if it's an Apple Cloud, it means Mobile Me and that means you pay.

I'm just waiting for Google to come up with a web-based music player that plays everything (even apple format) from the Cloud and can recognize your library, which will probably not happen, but they did it with Google Docs as well.
post #101 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Sorry, but yes they do?

Don't be sorry, you're wrong.
post #102 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

A litte further down after watching the full demo, I've changed my mind a bit.
If this plays out right, as in, terminal mode, I don't see any reason you could work on a full music project with samples, virtual instruments, audioe files, FX and so on, hope on a plane, fly somewhere, then RENT 4 mac pros, insert a dongle, and poof, your terminal now has 64 cores to work with, plug-ins and all, at your command. And that's just one example.

Peace.

All you really need is a app with a web interface hosted on a powerful computer(s) somewhere. With a fast connection, of course.
post #103 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Never heard of Google Gears? Try googling it.

My mistake on ranting a bit too far about the lack of local cache. But there has been some previous points about raising legitimate points about, for example, Javascript where you expose all the source code.
post #104 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Interesting.

Web tablet: 10" OLED screen, ARM processor, 24-hour battery. Chrome OS.

Price: $200

Available: Holiday season 2010

Not interested. ... By December 2010 my normal 1-year warranty (it can't be extended anymore in my country) on my iPhone 3GS runs out. So, a possible switch to the iPhone 4G.

That and/or an Arrandale/ post-Arrandale (Sandy Bridge(?)) MacBook Pro antiglare 15".

Who knows though, anything can happen in 12 months. No netbook for me, and in general I think it's a fad that will fade somewhat over the next year. Since netbooks will start to compete with smartphones in general.

Ah, the crazy "IT" world. That I've resisted (so far) buying too many gadgets is a bl**dy miracle.
post #105 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Will people really want to load this on a computer?
On anything other than a $100 netbook? (when one arrives.)
I mean I dislike Microsoft as much as the next guy, but really?

It seems that everything that attaches to your TV these days is internet connected -- BluRay player, TiVo, PS3, etc. These can all offer the internet using Google Chrome OS.
post #106 of 120
Quote:

Not interested. ... By December 2010 my normal 1-year warranty (it can't be extended anymore in my country) on my iPhone 3GS runs out. So, a possible switch to the iPhone 4G.

That and/or an Arrandale/ post-Arrandale (Sandy Bridge(?)) MacBook Pro antiglare 15".

Who knows though, anything can happen in 12 months. No netbook for me, and in general I think it's a fad that will fade somewhat over the next year. Since netbooks will start to compete with smartphones in general.

I think that eventually, though, the price of these devices is going to come down into "impulse buy" territory for anyone who has any interest in gadgets. Quite a bit cheaper than even netbooks are now. That's going to have some interesting ramifications on the computer industry.
post #107 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

It seems that everything that attaches to your TV these days is internet connected -- BluRay player, TiVo, PS3, etc. These can all offer the internet using Google Chrome OS.

Even TVs have internet connectivity in them. No need for any auxiliary device if you dont want one. I think these appliances will be the biggest hit with Chrome OS. There is no reason why any and all of these home entertainment companies wont have an option to jump into Chrome OS as a feature.

I think emerging markets is where Google is really trying to push for here. Get in on the ground floor with Google being the center of everything you do with the internet. I see this as being the first OS to take a huge chunk out of Windows marketshare, though expect Windows to continue to grow in unit share and profit despite this. Linux will finally make a mark and Mac OS X will technically drop to the third most popular OS.

Quote:

I think that eventually, though, the price of these devices is going to come down into "impulse buy" territory for anyone who has any interest in gadgets. Quite a bit cheaper than even netbooks are now. That's going to have some interesting ramifications on the computer industry.

Besides netbooks being able to drop in price up to $50 if they get rid of Windows 7 Starter Edition, there is a chance that even full-sized cheap notebookswhich offer a lot more for only a little more moneycould potentially get Chrome OS. I certainly know people that dont need full OS but want a full-sized machine.

The current lack of support for HDDs is a caveat, but I believe that is only for the drive the OS is on. Its possible to have a very small flash drive internally with the OS on it. The OS is less than 1GB at this point.
post #108 of 120
Quote:

Besides netbooks being able to drop in price up to $50 if they get rid of Windows 7 Starter Edition, there is a chance that even full-sized cheap notebookswhich offer a lot more for only a little more moneycould potentially get Chrome OS. I certainly know people that dont need full OS but want a full-sized machine.

The current lack of support for HDDs is a caveat, but I believe that is only for the drive the OS is on. Its possible to have a very small flash drive internally with the OS on it. The OS is less than 1GB at this point.

Do you see any reason, besides screen size, to have a full-size notebook running Chrome OS?

And it does support USB drives, which includes removable media like SD cards.
post #109 of 120
Quote:

Do you see any reason, besides screen size, to have a full-size notebook running Chrome OS?

And it does support USB drives, which includes removable media like SD cards.

Several reasons.

1) Some users will find it simpler and easier while suiting their needs.
2) Potential power savings, especially over Windows. If Im on battery and on a long flight with internet I may want to boot into Chrome OS to maximize my usage time.

I already have my Snow Leopard Install Disc on an 8GB SD card which I can boot into any time for repairs/issues. There is enough room to put Chrome OS on there, too. I have tested Chrome OS as a VM image but Ill soon be testing it on the SD card to see if it can access the HDD files in case I wanted to play any media or documents I have stored on the machine and if there are any power gains to be had, even with this newly launched OS.
post #110 of 120
Quote:

Fair enough. For me personally though my next impulse buy is the ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB ... But since I've been thinking of it, that's not very impulsive, is it.
post #111 of 120
Quote:

Several reasons.

1) Some users will find it simpler and easier while suiting their needs.
2) Potential power savings, especially over Windows. If I’m on battery and on a long flight with internet I may want to boot into Chrome OS to maximize my usage time...

Can anyone share which airlines are best for flights to Europe with regards to Internet access? From the US or other places... Curious.

BTW on the topic of power savings, if you could run everything of a 8GB SD card and the laptop was smart enough to "shut down" the HDD, that could be big.

Probably regular laptop manufacturers may offer this feature of an SD card slot that will take an SD card that runs Chrome OS while shutting off the HDD. Sort of a hybrid netbook/ laptop depending on your battery life needs.

The only thing is how robust is SD for frequent read/writes if you used it as the primary "drive" for Chrome OS?
post #112 of 120
Quote:

Can anyone share which airlines are best for flights to Europe with regards to Internet access? From the US or other places... Curious.

BTW on the topic of power savings, if you could run everything of a 8GB SD card and the laptop was smart enough to "shut down" the HDD, that could be big.

Probably regular laptop manufacturers may offer this feature of an SD card slot that will take an SD card that runs Chrome OS while shutting off the HDD. Sort of a hybrid netbook/ laptop depending on your battery life needs.

The only thing is how robust is SD for frequent read/writes if you used it as the primary "drive" for Chrome OS?

There aren’t many and the only ones I’ve used are through Aircell, but this is certainly a trend I expect to grow exponentially. I won’t even take a flight over 3 hours unless it has WiFi available.

http://www.gogoinflight.com/jahia/Ja...patingairlines
SD is more than adequate for what Chrome OS currently has in mind. As for power, I think Chrome OS’ biggest issue is power optimization. Mac OS X is considerably better than Windows and Linux distros at power management. A result of tighter controls and better understanding of the HW and OS. That said, SL is not as good as Leopard in this regard. Even with a simple webcode-based UI in Chrome OS it could be worse than Mac OS X in power savings mode. We’ll have to see once it gets more evolved.

Intel has already introduced Turbo Memory, though it looked promising it was pretty much pointless. The theoretical claims didn’t seem to work out at all in the real world. On top of that, Apple never supported it, which I felt at the time was necessary for it to gain momentum as “must have” feature thereby pushing others to make it more viable. It could still work out with Chrome OS int he future and possibly use less power and be faster than an SD or USB lash since it’s on the logic board.
post #113 of 120
I can see this becoming quite popular. Provided it's marketed well and the hardware has a clear advantage over that of regular PCs that is. Most people merely consume content rather than create it, and the plan is (initially) being rolled out to Netbooks.

Although I do have to wonder if the assumption that people are idiots is going to take off now, because it didn't the first time. The idea that it's computing "for them, and not for us" is dubious to me. However, I can see myself using this on a Netbook, and it's simple enough for my mum to use too.

Google - "As you can see, Microsoft have made a killer app for our OS"
*logs into the Office web app*
post #114 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Most people merely consume content rather than create it

That is an excellent distinction.

Quote:
Google - "As you can see, Microsoft have made a killer app for our OS"
*logs into the Office web app*

MS and Apple both have browser-based apps in works. This is the future of computing. This does not mean you have to have internet access to use these apps, but they will be built with that distinction in mind.
post #115 of 120
Quote:

That is an excellent distinction.

MS and Apple both have browser-based apps in works. This is the future of computing. This does not mean you have to have internet access to use these apps, but they will be built with that distinction in mind.

Indeed it will, and I was quite impressed to hear that Microsoft are finally moving to support HTML5 for Internet Explorer 9. Office web apps rely on documents having been created offline first though IIRC. The fact you have to log in using your google mail address makes me question the whole offline aspect of Chrome OS.
post #116 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Indeed it will, and I was quite impressed to hear that Microsoft are finally moving to support HTML5 for Internet Explorer 9. Office web apps rely on documents having been created offline first though IIRC. The fact you have to log in using your google mail address makes me question the whole offline aspect of Chrome OS.

When MS changed their position to make standards mode on IE8 the default instead of the exception I saw that times were changing. Now that the iPhone has made smartphones popular for the average consumer and even PMPs are getting full browsers open standards support is simply a must if MS wishes to retain any browser dominance with IE in the future.

There are many things to like about IE8 on Win7, but the engines are not one of them. I use Chrome Frame and have edited the DLLs to make it the default engine. I get HTML5 and V8 for JS. So much faster. Im not a fan of the simple Chrome browser and dont care for Firefox as I dont use plug-ins and because it doesnt integrate as well as IE on Windows or Safari on OS X.
post #117 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Seems like it could probably work right now with only minor re-jiggering. The parts of iTunes that aren't straight HTML use WebObjects which is basically Java. I bet they are porting a Chrome version of it as we speak and that there are no technical hurdles in the way.

I would love to see a version of iTunes that is more of a web-based mobile app that could recognize the music on your iphone/iPod and use it as the source for storage; kind of like a read-only player. Then you wouldn't have to carry all your music on your computer for it to get lost, broken or stolen.

Or, even more interesting would be like a streaming database of your music and content from a cloud. If they could dumb down the iPod such that all it stores is a database or a list of your music and you could stream anything from your playlist, then they could make iPods half the thickness and be just streaming players.
post #118 of 120
Quote:

All you really need is a app with a web interface hosted on a powerful computer(s) somewhere. With a fast connection, of course.

Yes, but it's still a pain in the ass for the dev. Now you gotta worry about uptime and overage and blahdy blah blah. Great for some sorts of apps that depend on access anyway (social apps) but sucky for many others.
post #119 of 120
Chrome OS is designed to run on low-powered Atom processors, and internet-based apps which do not need that much horsepower so it should be faster. Better, it will be small. Google is offering great boot time measured in seconds, not minutes, so battery life should also get a boost.
post #120 of 120
Google has become the new Microsoft. Other than search, most of Google's products are inferior versions they copied from Apple (and other companies).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google outlines Chrome OS plans for netbooks