or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft shareholders grill CEO about Apple, iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft shareholders grill CEO about Apple, iPhone

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
Shareholders questioned Microsoft execs at their annual meeting about Apple's growing reputation among the "next generation" of technology consumers.

Microsoft held its yearly shareholders' meeting Thursday with CEO Steve Balmer along with Chairman Bill Gates in attendance. While Gates did not take or answer any questions, Ballmer took questions on a variety of topics from Apple to Android.

According to TechFlash, shareholders questioned Ballmer about Microsoft's slipping reputation among college students and Apple's apparent gains among the same segment of consumers. "I'm just wondering why your marketing group can't do something to try to rein in this next generation, because you've got a real bad image out there," one shareholder reportedly said.

Ballmer responded that "opportunities for improvement" did exist and acknowledged that there "is a group of people with whom our market share is less." He ultimately played down Apple's growing market share, reportedly adding, "it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing."

Another shareholder questioned Ballmer about Microsoft's plans to best both the iPhone and Google's Android mobile OS. Ballmer reportedly answered, "I think we're on the right strategy, which is to focus on the software that goes into phones, as opposed to building phones."

AppleInsider reported earlier in the year that Apple's Mac home market share had more than tripled in the past five years.

In October, Apple's CEO Steve Jobs was voted as being the most admired entrepreneur among teens 12 to 17 years of age.
post #2 of 79
Any questions about "When are you going to stop losing billions on your mobile and entertainment department?"

Quote:
Balmer reportedly answered, "I think we're on the right strategy, which is to focus on the software that goes into phones, as opposed to building phones."


No Windows Phone?
post #3 of 79
I'm waiting for the day when MS has a shareholder smart enough to ask them "why don't you stop trying to copy everything Apple does, and come up with some new unique and innovative products of your own?"
post #4 of 79
"I think we're on the right strategy, which is to focus on the software that goes into phones, as opposed to building phones."

But wait! I thought Ray Ozzie said that mobile apps don't matter?!?!?
post #5 of 79
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1523667]Shareholders questioned Microsoft execs "I'm just wondering why your marketing group can't do something to try to rein in this next generation, because you've got a real bad image out there," one shareholder reportedly said.

Balmer responded, "Its not about marketing. Its about delivering good products. By copying or "borrowing" from Apple we have attempted to do that. But now, without being able to bully everyone into forced use of our products, Apple continues to make exceptional headway. And that is exceptional! Does anyone want to talk about how Al Gore uses a Mac, while Sarah Palin uses a PC?"
post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I'm waiting for the day when MS has a shareholder smart enough to ask them "why don't you stop trying to copy everything Apple does, and come up with some new unique and innovative products of your own?"

Those people sold their ms stock, and bought aapl
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Those people sold their ms stock, and bought aapl

The MS stock hasn't grown for almost 10 years. So many of the long term shareholders may still be under water. Thankfully MS has given out dividends.
post #8 of 79
"Why are you still the CEO Mr. Ballmer?"
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I'm waiting for the day when MS has a shareholder smart enough to ask them "why don't you stop trying to copy everything Apple does, and come up with some new unique and innovative products of your own?"

Because that's never been Microsoft's business model
post #10 of 79
Rounding error, rounding error, rounding error!!!



post #11 of 79
lol what a disaster.

It's so true though, the college-aged generation has nothing but distaste for microsoft. Hell, it seems like more than half of the tech industry feels the same way. They need to turn the ship around fast or it's going to eventually crash and burn.
post #12 of 79
I can't believe Ballmer didn't respond with his monkey dance. Microsoft... monkey dance. Microsoft... monkey dance. Where were his backup dancers at the Microsoft Store?

Microsoft is the government, AT&T, Exxon, and Walmart. They are too big to "get it". The time it takes to funnel new ideas through that company, someone else has already thought of it and acted on it.

Then Microsoft buys them out and ruins it.
post #13 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

lol what a disaster.

It's so true though, the college-aged generation has nothing but distaste for microsoft. Hell, it seems like more than half of the tech industry feels the same way. They need to turn the ship around fast or it's going to eventually crash and burn.

In many ways they are disaster but theyre built up so well that itll take a long time and many more areas of consistent failure before they will lose their dominance or fail to makes billions a year in profit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Rounding error, rounding error, rounding error!!!




HAHAHAHa

Quote:
Balmer responded that "opportunities for improvement" did exist and acknowledged that there "is a group of people with whom our market share is less." He ultimately played down Apple's growing market share, reportedly adding, "it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing."

What he has done there is classic management word manipulation.
Technically it is true but realistically its false.
Being that out of the 100 "PCs" that are sold only 4 people may ask for linux or no OX at all.

So YES he has told them what they want to hear. But avoided the question of Apple and their growth because lets face it, they don't know what they are going to do if Apple ever hit 20-25%.
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

So YES he has told them what they want to hear. But avoided the question of Apple and their growth because lets face it, they don't know what they are going to do if Apple ever hit 20-25%.

we shall see. In due time
post #16 of 79
So Steve Ballmer claims that ... "it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing." Do all those people actively 'choose' a Wintel PC because they believe it is better value than a Mac, or because it is 'chosen' for them by some IT guy who has a vested interest in choosing the cheapest PC available, and one that will keep him in a job because it 'just works - some of the time'. Let's face it, there are very few jobs in Mac support, not only because they have about 10% of the market, but because the bloody things 'just work - most of the time'. Now we can't have that, can we Steve!
post #17 of 79
they just work, except when they dont
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

So YES he has told them what they want to hear. But avoided the question of Apple and their growth because lets face it, they don't know what they are going to do if Apple ever hit 20-25%.


If is a very big word.


In order to get to that market share, a few things would have to happen. But the major end point would be that Apple would have to become affordable for a large part of the population.


It could happen by a cheaper computer, or people earning more money.


It ain't in Apples business model to make lower priced computers and the population in general havent gained much in terms of income for many years.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Those people sold their ms stock, and bought aapl

It dies make you wonder no? Why with all their millions can't they come up with products that are cutting edge. On the other hand, if the Microsoft "Courier" turns out to be true, wouldn't this mark the first ever Windows, sorry, rather Microsoft computer?

In theory, less all the registry problems, win mobile 6.5 doesn't have registry and looks nicers than windiws 7. Couldn't, again, in theory, lead to newer Microsoft computers if they dumped win 7, the registry and potted the win mobile to a more robust OS? Sure, this is msft we are talking about, but it is possible and with all their cash, it's truly unthinkable that they can't hire the right people to make this happen along with a competition to iLife. It just blows my mind that they can't get it done.

Why can't they? Why why why. At the sane time, why can't apple tailor more to the Prosumers???? They won't lose ground to pro's, but gain revenue.
Enthusiasts, prosumers, musicians,videographers as well as pros. And you've hears it sllbefore but gamers make more revenue then video and music sales combined.

Still, all that cash and msft can't get it together. Is it really thar hard to make tour OS work seemlessly with a mutimedia suite. Geeze louiddse
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

lol what a disaster.

It's so true though, the college-aged generation has nothing but distaste for microsoft. Hell, it seems like more than half of the tech industry feels the same way. They need to turn the ship around fast or it's going to eventually crash and burn.

Yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is Apple tve so called Creative computer. Everyone can getine now. Almost. The second thing is Apple basically dumped the Creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money. Sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago. It's all iPhone iPhone iPhone with MacBooks MacBooks MacBooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

For msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, I think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...shareholders questioned Balmer about ... why your marketing group can't do something...

Because obviously it's Marketing's fault for not spinning things the right way. Nothing to do with the actual products of course.

Stomach turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...to try to rein in this next generation...

I think they have some fear-based control issues. Why not try improving the products?
post #22 of 79
And so they should get a grilling. The lunatics are running the asylum.
post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Rounding error, rounding error, rounding error!!!




Photos of Ballmer always make me think of the idiot football coach in a mid-80s John Hughes-style film. And, realistically, he's better suited to running a football team than running a software company.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #24 of 79
.. ... ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is apple tve so called creative computer.

final cut studio and logic pro are os x-only. And these are industry standards. You want to edit, you get a mac. And since you claim anyone can afford one now, it should be no problem for "creatives" to get their hands on one.

everyone can getine now. Almost.

macs are still in the $1000+ category. Still premium retail items. I had no idea people were doing so well in this economy.

the second thing is apple basically dumped the creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money.

the mac has always been a consumer brand.

sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago.

yes, they hold their value, just like they did a few short years ago.

it's all iphone iphone iphone with macbooks macbooks macbooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

if you're going to commit horrendous spelling errors when posting from your iphone, type slower. The imac line just got a refresh, which has been very well received. And macbooks are . . . . *gasp*, macs.

for msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, i think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.

a meaningless, noncommittal observation. No kidding. And they're using xp.
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Because obviously it's Marketing's fault for not spinning things the right way. Nothing to do with the actual products of course.

Stomach turning.

Sign of the times.

An MS-hosted event:

http://windowsphonethoughts.com/news...be-shared.html


post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Because that's never been Microsoft's business model

my sarcasm antenna just exploded
ha ha

ms doesn't have a buisness model
they just drunkingly reel from one disaster to another
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sign of the times.

An MS-hosted event:

http://windowsphonethoughts.com/news...be-shared.html




omg
so funny
good one

9



http://www.zunethoughts.com/
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is Apple tve so called Creative computer. Everyone can getine now. Almost. The second thing is Apple basically dumped the Creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money. Sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago. It's all iPhone iPhone iPhone with MacBooks MacBooks MacBooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

For msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, I think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.

i was so mad i was gonna pinch you
for this post
but then my 6yr old said today is opposite day

whew !!
for a moment i thought after 6000 posts you had learned at least one apple truth..

good joke thou
opposite day jokes price less

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

And so they should get a grilling. The lunatics are running the asylum.

its true true true

we are all forever insane
ms does scare me at times

lets play some pink floyd to day ..huh

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games
And daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
And there's someone in my head, but it's not me
And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

"I can't think of anything to say except... Laughing is nice! HaHaHa!"
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #30 of 79
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8

Ballmer was never good with basic math.
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is Apple tve so called Creative computer. Everyone can getine now. Almost. The second thing is Apple basically dumped the Creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money. Sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago. It's all iPhone iPhone iPhone with MacBooks MacBooks MacBooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

For msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, I think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.

Totally clueless. Depending on Mac ownership to say you have money? What irrelevant twisted illogic!

Complaining about iPhone sales when their halo effect is bringing more people to the Mac than ever before?

A lousy artist blames his tools. Get off the hardware complaints, puhleeeze!

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #32 of 79
MS's "software strategy" may have gotten them market share over two decades, but now they've painted themselves into a corner where they actually can't afford a new coat of paint, even now when the old coat is peeling.

It's apparent to me that MS has been fiddling around with tactics only for far too long. In their arrogance and lack of real leadership, they haven't seen the need for a strategy, perhaps also because there hasn't been a plan of any kind upon which to base any strategy. And mere tactics without a strategy is like pouring water on sand.

But Apple's little engine that could has had clear-cut plans, strategies, and tactics, in that proper order, and they've had their collective shoulder to the wheel for those same two decades. And now those concerted efforts are showing definite signs of paying off.

Apple hasn't deserted creatives. This silly squabbling over matte screens and laptops is so far off target, it's really sad.

Apple has finally found a strategy for building its customer base and mindshare in the forms of iPods and Iphones. These have been true Trojan Horses, brought to the masses within all the shiny retail store castle walls.

But iPods and iPhones aren't mere gewgaws or trinkets. They're viable products in their own rights. They appeal to a much broader base of people than just "creatives."

Now Apple is poised to make even further inroads with its Tablets. They'll sell very well, of course, and will set the publishing world as we now know it on its *other* ear.

Some here aren't old enough to remember when Adobe and Apple *first* set the publishing world on its ear with the "desktop publishing" revolution they created in the late '80s and '90s. Adobe invented the Postscript® page description language, on which PDF is based, and Apple invented the Laserwriter®.

And now both Adobe and Apple are going to do it again with Adobe AIR and the Apple Tablet.

How will Microsoft respond? Fewer and fewer will care.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra610 View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Photos of Ballmer always make me think of the idiot football coach in a mid-80s John Hughes-style film. And, realistically, he's better suited to running a football team than running a software company.

I'm telling you, he looks like Peter Boyle from Young Frankenstein.

post #34 of 79
I have to wonder how long people will keep buying the rouding error that he uses all too often. After you reach a certain point, it can no longer be called a rouding error and must be called a threat. I wonder where the shareholders draw the line?
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

So Steve Ballmer claims that ... "it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing." Do all those people actively 'choose' a Wintel PC because they believe it is better value than a Mac, or because it is 'chosen' for them by some IT guy who has a vested interest in choosing the cheapest PC available, and one that will keep him in a job because it 'just works - some of the time'. Let's face it, there are very few jobs in Mac support, not only because they have about 10% of the market, but because the bloody things 'just work - most of the time'. Now we can't have that, can we Steve!

Amen to that! I'm a Macintosh technician, and most of the time I'm just helping people find preferences. That's real pleasant, but no way to necessitate a large IT department!
post #36 of 79
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In many ways they are disaster but theyre built up so well that itll take a long time and many more areas of consistent failure before they will lose their dominance or fail to makes billions a year in profit.

you are very right sir

i hope chrome os vaporizes ballmer
post #38 of 79
I forget the details but isn't that 96% of the market somewhat skewed if you split the market between less then $1,000 and above $1,000 per unit price? Then further skewed if you look at unit profit margin.

My point being it is possibly becoming a somewhat irrelevant statistic to quote to stock holders who care more about profits and less about volume.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm telling you, he looks like Peter Boyle from Young Frankenstein.


Wow it is him! This now begs the question, "who was Ballmer's Frankenstein?"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #40 of 79
"it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing."

This is grossly untrue. In the business world (or most of it anyway), it is ONE person who decides what 100 people will use. In those few companies where they let their employees decide what computer they use it's more like 60-80 out of a hundred choose Windows (cause that's all they know).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft shareholders grill CEO about Apple, iPhone