or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Hack re-enables Atom processor compatibility for Mac OS X 10.6.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hack re-enables Atom processor compatibility for Mac OS X 10.6.2 - Page 2

post #41 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And exactly where do you buy a Mac 7- 10" form factor?
It's not for nothing that this size has been selling so well besides being cheap- people like the size, the portability which Apple has failed to offer. Apple tried to convince people that they really wanted thin as in MacBook Air - the public responded differently.

Absolutely right. We want a light and small Mac. The MacBook Air is too heavy and too large. See the UMID and Viliv out there (315 g and pocketable!).
post #42 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

sigh

the first macbook air was very unique, however, which its size came small limitations on the hardware due to power consumption. beyond email, typing up docs, and basic internet, the video card power lacked... A LOT. video stuttered, and was very choppy.

im pretty sure he knows the difference in a typewritter and a macbook air. the difference is, and i think what he was trying to make, is that the first gen air wasnt really good for much more than typing.

He's trying to assert that the MBA was a flop. If that were true Apple would have dropped it from the lineup instead of refreshing it over time. I love my first gen MBA. I wish it had better cooling so it could handle video conferencing, but other than that it does everything else I need in the perfect size (big screen, low weight).
post #43 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

thank you for doing my spoon feeding to the underling
I just don't have the time or patience

I'm still waiting for your supporting documentation that the Air is some sort of unmitigated disaster for Apple. Otherwise your opinion comes across as whiny. The fact that it is still available is strong evidence that you aren't right.

My gut feeling is that the Air is sort of a wash. It probably hasn't met sales expectations, but is unlikely to have lost a ton of money either. It certainly gave Apple experience with technology that has become wildly successful, like the unibody frame and battery technologies, which has more than paid off for its R&D costs.
post #44 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Absolutely right. We want a light and small Mac. The MacBook Air is too heavy and too large. See the UMID and Viliv out there (315 g and pocketable!).

And oh so ugly.
post #45 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And exactly where do you buy a Mac 7- 10" form factor?
It's not for nothing that this size has been selling so well besides being cheap- people like the size, the portability which Apple has failed to offer. Apple tried to convince people that they really wanted thin as in MacBook Air - the public responded differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

And oh so ugly.

Ugly? They are fantastic. And mostly, they are rock practical: so light and so pocketable. I wish Apple had something like that. Meanwhile, the hackintosh is the only alternative. Shame!
post #46 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

He's trying to assert that the MBA was a flop. If that were true Apple would have dropped it from the lineup instead of refreshing it over time. I love my first gen MBA. I wish it had better cooling so it could handle video conferencing, but other than that it does everything else I need in the perfect size (big screen, low weight).

i would wager to say the first MBA didnt do as well they hoped, hence the refreshes to tweak some of the glaring issues, such as the video card.
post #47 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Apple doesn't differentiate between its portables when reporting profits, so it's likely that neither of these positions can be substantiated, though if either of you have a real reference I'd like to see it. I have a first generation Air and I've never really been happy with its crappy Intel graphics, but I love its look and feel. I expect the 9400M versions are sweet.

I don't have hard data because as you say Apple doesn't break it out. Regardless of that everything I've said is true.

If you want to research it, (I'm not going to do it for you), check into customer service/satisfaction reports, ask someone who works (or has worked) at an Apple store or ask the customers that bought them.

For example I work at a large concern with hundreds of laptops being bought in an average year. Some buy the Air (although most go for the MacBook Pro), and overall they've been reliable machines that the users just *love*. if I had a nickel for every time an Air owner filled the room with effusive praise for the things, I'd be rich.

I've heard pretty much the same from other people in similar situations to myself. I have never heard of nor experienced myself anything like what happened when the G4 Cube, or any of Apple's less reliably designed computers came out. If the Air was a broken flop as teckstud seems to think, we'd certainly know by now. The people that buy them, generally love them and sales appear to be a significant portion of Apple's portable market.

The problem is only that perception is driven by tech sites like this one and techies generally want something with more horsepower. I couldn't use one myself as it would seem too slow to me, especially the video thing that you mention. "teckstud's" reaction is classic in this regard in that he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer and often mouths opinions right out of the news without seemingly thinking for himself. He's also a pretty negative guy and seems to be constantly seeking affirmation, so he probably reads a lot of the negative stuff on Giz or Engadget, believe's it's true, and regurgitates it here so as to get the occasional pat on the head from a stranger. Very sad actually.

So when your whole world is internet rumours and tech web sites, you may get the idea that the Air is some kind of "bad deal." But out there in the real world, buy them regularly and are far from disappointed with what they get.

I think the onus is really on the people who keep insisting that "it sucks" to kind of prove how that can be if people keep buying it. Especially when it's more expensive than most other computers of it's type.
post #48 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

I'm still waiting for your supporting documentation that the Air is some sort of unmitigated disaster for Apple. Otherwise your opinion comes across as whiny. The fact that it is still available is strong evidence that you aren't right.

My gut feeling is that the Air is sort of a wash. It probably hasn't met sales expectations, but is unlikely to have lost a ton of money either. It certainly gave Apple experience with technology that has become wildly successful, like the unibody frame and battery technologies, which has more than paid off for its R&D costs.

I never said it was "some sort of unmitigated disaster for Apple". I'm sure it sold very well among Apple devotees (note my refusal to use the word fanboy today). But the fact remains that netbooks appeal due to their form factor in addition to their price. That's all- don't be so negative.
post #49 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't have hard data because as you say Apple doesn't break it out. Regardless of that everything I've said is true.

If you want to research it, (I'm not going to do it for you), check into customer service/satisfaction reports, ask someone who works (or has worked) at an Apple store or ask the customers that bought them.

For example I work at a large concern with hundreds of laptops being bought in an average year. Some buy the Air (although most go for the MacBook Pro), and overall they've been reliable machines that the users just *love*. if I had a nickel for every time an Air owner filled the room with effusive praise for the things, I'd be rich.

I've heard pretty much the same from other people in similar situations to myself. I have never heard of nor experienced myself anything like what happened when the G4 Cube, or any of Apple's less reliably designed computers came out. If the Air was a broken flop as teckstud seems to think, we'd certainly know by now. The people that buy them, generally love them and sales appear to be a significant portion of Apple's portable market.

The problem is only that perception is driven by tech sites like this one and techies generally want something with more horsepower. I couldn't use one myself as it would seem too slow to me, especially the video thing that you mention. "teckstud's" reaction is classic in this regard in that he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer and often mouths opinions right out of the news without seemingly thinking for himself. He's also a pretty negative guy and seems to be constantly seeking affirmation, so he probably reads a lot of the negative stuff on Giz or Engadget, believe's it's true, and regurgitates it here so as to get the occasional pat on the head from a stranger. Very sad actually.

So when your whole world is internet rumours and tech web sites, you may get the idea that the Air is some kind of "bad deal." But out there in the real world, buy them regularly and are far from disappointed with what they get.

I think the onus is really on the people who keep insisting that "it sucks" to kind of prove how that can be if people keep buying it. Especially when it's more expensive than most other computers of it's type.

No you wouldn't know by now- just like you don't know that the AppleTV has flopped as Fortune magazine claims in their latest issue.
And you speak from a warped Apple zealot perpective anyway- totally biased and unrealistic . Who's SAD?
You whole reason for living is that Apple tells you what you need and you never think otherwise.
post #50 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Hackintoshes require neither pirating or illegal distribution of software, so I doubt the link causes any problems. This isn't to say that there aren't people out there who obtain pirated copies of OS X and install it on their hackintoshes, just that there are lots of people who purchase the retail copy and install it.

Hackintoshes do require violating Apple's EULA, a separate issue. This is likely a problem in the US, but there may be many countries where Apple's EULA is invalid for whatever reason.

Fair enough. Then I assume that discussion about how to break/circumvent copy protection inspite of EULAs is alright? You can't simply pop an OS X DVD into a hackintosh drive and have it boot like a regular Mac. We're talking about hacking software here or modifying it.
post #51 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Ugly? They are fantastic. And mostly, they are rock practical: so light and so pocketable. I wish Apple had something like that. Meanwhile, the hackintosh is the only alternative. Shame!

I would prefer some more powerful like the Sony TT notebooks myself- but the size is the key. Shame.
post #52 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Because Apple does not offer such a great Mac, which is as light as possible, as small as possible, with video-out and USB 2 and Intel Atom.

Porsche doesn't make a $20 K sports car, either. Does that give me the right to steal one from their lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Hackintoshes require neither pirating or illegal distribution of software, so I doubt the link causes any problems. This isn't to say that there aren't people out there who obtain pirated copies of OS X and install it on their hackintoshes, just that there are lots of people who purchase the retail copy and install it.

Did you read Judge Alsup's ruling? Hacking OS X to run on generic hardware is a violation of the EULA as well as DMCA and is therefore illegal. Whether you do it in your own home or a factory is illegal. So, by definition, ALL Hackintoshes are using illegal software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Absolutely right. We want a light and small Mac. The MacBook Air is too heavy and too large. See the UMID and Viliv out there (315 g and pocketable!).

Apple doesn't make a piece of junk with a tiny screen. Live with it.

The fact that you don't like Apple's products doesn't give you the right to illegally use Apple's OS.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #53 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No you wouldn't know by now- just like you don't know that the AppleTV has flopped as Fortune magazine claims in their latest issue.
And you speak from a warped Apple zealot perpective anyway- totally biased and unrealistic . Who's SAD?
You whole reason for living is that Apple tells you what you need and you never think otherwise.

AppleTV! I've told you before this example is L-A-M-E. It will take you nowhere. Try again. Now staying on-topic. Can you try that?
post #54 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple doesn't make a piece of junk with a tiny screen. Live with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

AppleTV!

No- that's a piece of junk without a screen.
post #55 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No- that's a piece of junk without a screen.

You always bite. Easy to lure!
post #56 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

You always bite. Easy to lure!

What? Is this fortunecookie.com?
post #57 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What? Is this fortunecookie.com?

No, it is catchatroll.org
post #58 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In any event, all the crying from the hackintosh community was for nothing. They solved the problem on their own.

And isn't this discussion about piracy and warez now? (correct me if I'm wrong.)

They’ve added AMD support, I think they can make a custom kernel or use the one that was in 10.6.1 to get Atom support back. It’s not like any one was jonesing to update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. The idea that Apple purposely set out to hurt the OSx86 Project after all this time, only with 10.6.2 and only with Atom processors was just so stupid.

Quote:
(Reposting my explanation from one of the earlier OMFG apple hates hackintosh articles on another site. Shows how easy this fix actually was. Also shows how a simple program logic cleanup turned into the blogosphere catching on fire.)

I decided to browse through the kernel code in 10.6.2 (now that it’s out), and here is what I found.

What specifically “killed” the Atom is in xnu-1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/cpuid.c, around lines 600.

In the past, the kernel would check if the CPU family was 6, and if the model number was higher then 13. This basically means any Intel CPU newer then the Pentium M – Dothan (used in the Apple TV) was supported.
The new code now specifically checks for family 13, 14 (Yonah), 15 (Merom), 23 (Penryn), 26 (Nehalem), 30 (Fields), 31 (Dales), and 46 (Nehalem_EX). The Atom is 28, so it doesn’t pass the check, and hits code at line 649 that panics with “Unsupported CPU”.

Interestingly, in xnu-1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/cpuid.h, code was added to define families 28, 30, 31 and 46. Even though the kernel now panics with 28, “CPUID_MODEL_ATOM” is defined where it wasn’t before.

I can’t say for certain why the change was made, but to me, it was a rework of a previous flawed check (is CPU family 13 or higher), and replaced it with one that checks for exactly what the kernel wants. There is a decent bit of code in the kernel that is optimized specifically for certain processors, so it makes sense to improve the high level checks.

Oh, and there is a comment in cpuid.c that says “suck it atom hackers”.
(Certain parts of this post in regards to code comments may or may not be true).


PS: I can see our vacation is over. AI’s irritable bowel syndrome is back in full effect ruining every forum he touches. I implore you, do your part to clean up AppleInsider forums: User CP » Edit Ignore List » Teckstud. If reply to him then having him ignored does nothing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #59 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

This is so stupid! If you like Mac OS X so much, why not buy a mac, instead of buying a piece of sh*t netbook.

Maybe because some of us don't want to carry our 15" $1,700 Macbook Pros with us to school and on the bus? My netbook running Leopard (which I bought, not downloaded) can do everything I need faster than all my friends Windows laptops.

When the iSlate comes out, it may well make me replace my netbook, but for now my OSX netbook does exactly what it needs to do.
post #60 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Maybe because some of us don't want to carry our 15" $1,700 Macbook Pros with us to school and on the bus? My netbook running Leopard (which I bought, not downloaded) can do everything I need faster than all my friends Windows laptops.

When the iSlate comes out, it may well make me replace my netbook, but for now my OSX netbook does exactly what it needs to do.

In NYC the subways are full of netbooks being used by students. Their textbooks alone are heavy enough. I totally understand why these sell so well. They are perfect for general educational purposes.
post #61 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

No, it is catchatroll.org

Catch any yet?
post #62 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Catch any yet?

Caught, you mean?
post #63 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I can see out vacation is over. AI’s irritable bowel syndrome is back i full effect ruining every forum he touches. I implore you, do your part to clean up AppleInsider forums: User CP » Edit Ignore List » Teckstud.

Don't you love how he keeps telling you all to put me on your ignore list (even to stoop to adding it to his signature) yet he keeps reading my every post. He simply can't resist.
post #64 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Caught, you mean?

Dunno- Where is your hand right now?
post #65 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dunno- Where is your hand right now?

he kinda got you there.

you're a troll fishing for other trolls.
post #66 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

he kinda got you there.

you're a troll fishing for other trolls.

Kinda?
whatever
post #67 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you're a troll fishing for other trolls.

A meta-troll!
post #68 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

It really chugs with video decoding though, any kind of HD video is unwatchable.

That's interesting. My MSI Wind does fine playing 720p video with VLC under 10.5.6. Yes, you can argue that it's displaying lower resolution, but it's still having to decode the full resolution video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Porsche doesn't make a $20 K sports car, either. Does that give me the right to steal one from their lot?

Poor analogy. You steal a Porsche or even a Hyundai and nobody else can buy it. You hack a netbook, there's still a Macbook for someone else to buy if they want it.
post #69 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

That's interesting. My MSI Wind does fine playing 720p video with VLC under 10.5.6. Yes, you can argue that it's displaying lower resolution, but it's still having to decode the full resolution video.

VLC has no HW aceleration, but I don't think Atom has any either. I could get 720p in VLC to play on my Wind but Hulu 480p had issues.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #70 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

That's interesting. My MSI Wind does fine playing 720p video with VLC under 10.5.6. Yes, you can argue that it's displaying lower resolution, but it's still having to decode the full resolution video.

Maybe he's trying to watch flash content - you're MSI Wind wouldn't have those issues. I've heard iChat ran terribly on that first gen as well. .
post #71 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Porsche doesn't make a $20 K sports car, either. Does that give me the right to steal one from their lot?


Did you read Judge Alsup's ruling? Hacking OS X to run on generic hardware is a violation of the EULA as well as DMCA and is therefore illegal. Whether you do it in your own home or a factory is illegal. So, by definition, ALL Hackintoshes are using illegal software.



Apple doesn't make a piece of junk with a tiny screen. Live with it.

The fact that you don't like Apple's products doesn't give you the right to illegally use Apple's OS.

You do not get it. We are not talking about price here, but about weigh and size. Some of such tiny full computers sell for 3,000 USD. They are top engineering works of art (see OQO, for instance). I would pay even 6,000 USD for a Mac like that, so light and pocketable. And it is not to work on it, but just to carry it on the pocket for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.
post #72 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Fair enough. Then I assume that discussion about how to break/circumvent copy protection inspite of EULAs is alright? You can't simply pop an OS X DVD into a hackintosh drive and have it boot like a regular Mac. We're talking about hacking software here or modifying it.

In fact, you can just pop an OS X DVD into a hakintosh and have it boot like a regular mac. Google "retail snow leopard installation guide" and there are many, many different hand-holding tutorials about how to make this work.

Now obviously there's some preparation needed before the "pop it into the drive" step, but it's unrelated to any copyright/copy protection issues. As far as I can determine, installing OS X from a retail DVD onto your own computer really is just a case of breaking the EULA. Reselling this system to your neighbor starts to infringe on Apple's rights, so I'd avoid that.
post #73 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't have hard data because as you say Apple doesn't break it out. Regardless of that everything I've said is true.

What's true? That the Air has been a commercial success? You can't substantiate that by people saying that they like their Airs. You can only substantiate that through knowledge of the manufacturing/R&D costs for the Air, and Apple's expectations for the sale of Airs, which they haven't given out.

I am personally inclined to think that Air sales have been somewhat disappointing for Apple, but in no way disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think the onus is really on the people who keep insisting that "it sucks" to kind of prove how that can be if people keep buying it. Especially when it's more expensive than most other computers of it's type.

I'm not saying it sucks as a computer, though there is no doubt that the pre-9400M is pretty pathetic. You just seem to claim that it's been very successful, which I was hoping was based on real data rather than just a hunch.
post #74 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

In fact, you can just pop an OS X DVD into a hakintosh and have it boot like a regular mac. Google "retail snow leopard installation guide" and there are many, many different hand-holding tutorials about how to make this work.

Now obviously there's some preparation needed before the "pop it into the drive" step, but it's unrelated to any copyright/copy protection issues. As far as I can determine, installing OS X from a retail DVD onto your own computer really is just a case of breaking the EULA. Reselling this system to your neighbor starts to infringe on Apple's rights, so I'd avoid that.

Breaking the EULA *is* infringement. Apple's EULA was recently upheld in court, in fact, after a long string of EULAs being upheld.
post #75 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Breaking the EULA *is* infringement. Apple's EULA was recently upheld in court, in fact, after a long string of EULAs being upheld.

correct. breaking the EULA is infringement and its even worse when you break it, then sell the product for money.

EDIT: i wonder if you pieced together all the supported hardware to the exact stuff apple supports and tried to install the OS, would it change anything and allow you to install stuff normally? like say i got the motherboard they support, the intel chip, the vid card, everything cept a case and PSU
post #76 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

That's interesting. My MSI Wind does fine playing 720p video with VLC under 10.5.6. Yes, you can argue that it's displaying lower resolution, but it's still having to decode the full resolution video.



Poor analogy. You steal a Porsche or even a Hyundai and nobody else can buy it. You hack a netbook, there's still a Macbook for someone else to buy if they want it.

Yet you're taking something that doesn't belong to you - Mac OS X. You don't even have a valid license to use it.

If you don't like that analogy, try this one:
You rent a car for a moth with a 300 mile limit and rules that say you can't take it out of the country. You drive 10,000 miles throughout North and Central America. You then return the car. You violated the rules.

Or, how about this one: you get a copy of Microsoft Windows 7 licensed by your school (I believe that's as low as $5 at some schools). You then use it in your business. Clear violation.

The court's ruling says that EULAs are valid and you are in violation of both the EULA and DMCA by using it as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

You do not get it. We are not talking about price here, but about weigh and size. Some of such tiny full computers sell for 3,000 USD. They are top engineering works of art (see OQO, for instance). I would pay even 6,000 USD for a Mac like that, so light and pocketable. And it is not to work on it, but just to carry it on the pocket for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

I couldn't care less if it's $0.01 or $10 million. OS X is Apple's product and they have the right to license it the way they want. They have chosen to enter some segments and not others. If you don't like that, your only legal (and moral, to everyone except the 'we're entitled to have whatever we want no matter who disagrees with us' generation) option is to either buy a computer with a different OS or build your own OS.

Apple has decided that the market isn't worth their effort. You do not have the option to override that decision - unless you plan to buy 51% of Apple's stock.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #77 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Did you read Judge Alsup's ruling? Hacking OS X to run on generic hardware is a violation of the EULA as well as DMCA and is therefore illegal.

Yes. It's unclear that this ruling is directly applicable to individuals using an "unhacked" (i.e., retail edition) version of OS X on their personal computer. It's also unclear that some of this decision isn't relative to the seemingly pathetic job Psystar put into defending itself... not that it could necessarily have one. Finally, it is unclear that this is relevant in any way outside of the US, where a large percentage of the hackintosh community exists.

It is clear that people living in the US that install OS X on non-apple branded hardware are violating the EULA. It's also possible that some of the tools used to prepare a PC for OS X installation are derived from copyrighted Apple tools, but without a more specific opinion (i.e., personal use of a legally purchased license) I'd be hesitant to classify this as "warez" or "piracy," at least in the way these terms are generally meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The fact that you don't like Apple's products doesn't give you the right to illegally use Apple's OS.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's products.
post #78 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Hackintoshes require neither pirating or illegal distribution of software, so I doubt the link causes any problems. This isn't to say that there aren't people out there who obtain pirated copies of OS X and install it on their hackintoshes, just that there are lots of people who purchase the retail copy and install it.

Allow me to ask you your estimate of the percentage of "hackintosh" users who have bought a full retail copy of Mac OS X.
post #79 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Yes. It's unclear that this ruling is directly applicable to individuals using an "unhacked" (i.e., retail edition) version of OS X on their personal computer. It's also unclear that some of this decision isn't relative to the seemingly pathetic job Psystar put into defending itself... not that it could necessarily have one. Finally, it is unclear that this is relevant in any way outside of the US, where a large percentage of the hackintosh community exists.

I agree that outside the US, the legality is unclear, although EULAs have been upheld in most countries, so there's a good chance Apple will prevail. They might have to put 'UPGRADE' or parts of the EULA on the box in some countries, but even that isn't clear.

In the U.S., though, it's crystal clear. The court ruled decisively that Psystar's actions violated both the EULA and the DMCA - and that the EULA was valid. While the average Hackintosh person isn't going to use a mini as a source to copy the files from, that was only one of the issues Alsup cited. The entire process was found to be illegal. Read the ruling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Allow me to ask you your estimate of the percentage of "hackintosh" users who have bought a full retail copy of Mac OS X.

Zero. There is no such thing.

The EULA specifically states that the retail version can only be used on Macintosh computers, so it is an upgrade, not a full version. Since the EULA has been upheld, that statement now has the force of law.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #80 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Allow me to ask you your estimate of the percentage of "hackintosh" users who have bought a full retail copy of Mac OS X.

OK. Obviously there is no way to know precisely, but I would say that most of the traffic on the snow leopard forum at insanelymac.com is in reference to the retail DVD... so say 60-80%? Completely uneducated of course.

Leopard was worse because of its cost and its hardware constraints.

I should point out that the Psystar ruling was Leopard specific as well, and did not address snow leopard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Hack re-enables Atom processor compatibility for Mac OS X 10.6.2