or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Smoking may void Applecare warranty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking may void Applecare warranty - Page 4

post #121 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

No, it's YOUR attitude that is unbelievable. Relying on "legality" as a benchmark for "right" and "wrong" is a luxury we as a society can no long afford. Apple is not waiting for a silly law to be passed to say that they're going to protect their employees' health. They're doing the right thing.

So did you already sell your car and bought a bike to go to work?!
post #122 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

"Many things" ??? ... Such as?

Dude. Have you ever been to smomeones house, smoke free and have a look at their fans. Olooks just like that. As I said earilier l, it's been reported than living in LA during the summer is like 3 times WORSE than smoking. I mean, crap, they have hazard day ALERTS TO STAY INDOORS. So living in LA IN THE SUMMER is like smoking. Nice

I meanm, I've seen cars that sit for two days and it's covered in soot iike there was a fire during the summer. And then of course there are pets. Where and when dId this happen anyway????

Most production lots and cabanas have smoke everywhere and especially the hollywood hiils.
post #123 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is nonsense.

In the first place just because it isn't illegal now in your country, doesn't mean it won't be soon, or isn't be already in more civilised places. In the second place, your argument about why a smoker smokes is based on the idea of free will when in fact smoking is a simple drug addiction. It has nothing to do with making rational choices or free will.

Smokers are drug addicts. That's just a simple fact. They have no more control over smoking than a crackhead does over doing crack or a wino has over drinking.

Third, all your analogies are junk in that laying around in the sun, eating red meat etc., are not only a choice, they are choices that don't affect anyone else.

Smoke is poison (another fact). Second hand smoke has been proven many times over to be just as bad as firsthand smoke, and third hand smoke is implicated in the latest research as well. No one has the right to poison those around them. They never did. We just weren't sufficiently aware of how dangerous smoking was before.

Drug addicts don't have the same rights as normal people and there is no "inalienable right" to do drugs. Even if there were, a person's human rights end where another's begin. A person may have the right to shoot a gun, but they don't have the right to shoot it at someone else. Even if a smoker had some kind of "right" to smoke, they don't have the right to do it around anyone else.

Smoking will be illegal in public in your lifetime probably. Get used to it.

Well said. Current anti-smoking laws do not go far enough, and I look forward to the day when I no longer have to walk through clouds of toxic fumes on the street from obnoxious smokers, or see children abused by their smoking parents, and so on.

Apple are dead right on this one (which frankly makes a change of late).
post #124 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Never thought there would come a day a would decide never to buy a mac again but that day has come. When I paid my MacBook Pro they didn't say they couldn't accept my money because it was a biohazard so I wonder why they would consider my notebook a biohazard.

A big fuck you to Steve Jobs! What's next? People who eat meat can't send in their Macs for repair anymore?

oh boy. somebody's grumpy, eh? relax man! have a smoke!
post #125 of 332
I have nothing but seething rage for people who smoke while walking down the street in front of me and people who absolutely reek of smoke then come into my business and expect me to stand there and hold back my gag reflex while they talk to me about their meaningless existence. If I needed to work on my gag reflex I'd deep throat cocks for a living.

Recreational substance use is supposed to be an occasional activity, not an every-third-fucking-minute-and-in-the-most-intrusive-dosage-form-possible-and-with-an-I'm-entitled-to-do-whatever-the-fuck-I-want-attitude activity.

I'd rate heroin users who use clean injecting equipment and dispose of it thoughtfully above people who smoke around others without consent any day.

There I said it.
post #126 of 332
I fully agree with Apple here. Smoking kills more than 500,000 people every single year in the USA, more than 500,000 in Europe and more than 3 million worldwide every year. Besides the healthcare costs that could be used for other purposes and the of work hours lost. THIS IS OBSCENE.
post #127 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

I fully agree with Apple here. Smoking kills more than 500,000 people every single year in the USA, more than 500,000 in Europe and more than 3 million worldwide every year. THIS IS OBSCENE.

That it is. However, it is not well appreciated just how toxic "third-hand smoke" really is..
>Particulate matter from tobacco smoke has been proven toxic. According to the National Toxicology Program, these 250 poisonous gases, chemicals, and metals include hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide, butane, ammonia, toluene (found in paint thinners), arsenic, lead, chromium (used to make steel), cadmium (used to make batteries), and polonium-210 (highly radioactive carcinogen). Eleven of the compounds are classified as Group 1 carcinogens, the most dangerous.
-from ScienceDaily mag.
post #128 of 332
This is groundbreaking! I'm all for a drug free world, especialy airbourne ones. And I, if working with repair, would not tolerate working with a smoked computer. Smokers in general has little or no understanding for how bad their favourite drug spreads its toxics around. It's airborne, you know. It's like having a pee area in a pool. Anyone could understand that the pee doesn't stay in that area.

But hey, of course the smoked computers should not be neglected from service. Since a good deal of the population of the world are smokers Apple should be prepared to give them service. Maybe at a separate plant with repair tecnicians dressed for the occasion? They could open it up, "dry clean" it, and then start working with it.
post #129 of 332
Two separate things guys. It's when you mix them that you have a problem!

Drinking isn't illegal. Driving isn't illegal. Mix the two and you have a problem...

Shit the bed!

If smoking does that to the inside of a computer, imagine what it's doing to your lungs?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #130 of 332
This is a very sensible policy. I'm glad to see Apple taking a responsible position on this.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #131 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

And I, if working with repair, would not tolerate working with a smoked computer.

I am not a smoker (never have been), but smoking is not illegal. I'm in favour of the smoking bans in public places, but the idea of regulation within the home is worrying.

Consider:
20+cig/day = clear health danger. 1cig/week = no clear danger. Therefore a blanket ban on things that can be 'unhealthy/dangerous' would make the following illegal:
1. alcohol
2. all prescription drugs
3. all foods that contain saturated fats or sugars
4. household cleaners (bleach etc) and paints
5. using a computer monitor (especially the glossy ones that SJ pushes on the Mac users)
6. living in a big city (air pollution)
etc etc etc.
So it's rather arbitrary to ban cigarettes on health grounds.

Now for the part that is relevant to this discussion

Computers, and the compounds used in cleaning them as part of a standard repair, contain a host of 'dangerous' substances. Even RoHS compliant solders, should be worked on with a suitable extraction hood according to the manufacturers. Tar is not particularly dangerous in its solid form, nor is it readily absorbed through the skin.

Both isopropanol and ethanol (ordinary alcohol), are suitable solvents for removing tar. The affected PCB could easily have been dipped in an ESD tray with either -OH and placed in an ultrasonic bath and cleaned fully.

The equipment and chemicals involved are more benign that those found in a automotive repair shop. If you brought your Ford truck in for service and was told "Sorry, we can't work on this engine, the insides are all coated with dirt and motor oil and we have to think of our workers"? Normal precautions would not expose the workers in any inordinate health hazard. FWIW I don't own a car either (I could buy a new Merc SLK, cash, tomorrow)

Now, were the computers beyond economical repair? Depends on the failure.
What if my house was really dusty, because I lived in AZ, or corrosive atmosphere due to living near the coast?
post #132 of 332
That's hilarious. As is the attitude here towards smokers.

Apple should just put out a disclaimer letting people know smoke damage will void their Applecare. I didn't even know about tar buildup in computers, so educating people before they purchase would cover their backs. Although there may be issues for those living with smokers, since they aren't the ones being negligent.
post #133 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple should just put out a disclaimer letting people know smoke damage will void their Applecare. I didn't even know about tar buildup in computers, so educating people before they purchase would cover their backs.

They do. It’s right there in AppleCare coverage legalese and it’s quite clear though I would think common sense would make it obvious that abuse and neglect of your equipment is not covered.

Quote:
Subject to these Terms and Conditions, your Plan (i) covers defects for the Apple- branded product(s) listed in your Planʼs Certificate or Proof of Coverage document

Quote:
[The Plan does not cover damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse, unauthorized modification, extreme environment, extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes

A disclaimer for each in possible incident is silly. It’s clear the warranty is for defects caused by Apple or it’s partners and does not cover mental defects on the part of their users. If it did, then Teckstud wouldn’t even be allowed inside an Apple Store.

The amount of cigarette smoke that would cause such a thing to happen within a period of less than one to three years tells me that this person is a very heavy smoker and they use their computer in a small unventilated area. That isn’t Apple’s responsibility.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...glish_v5.2.pdf (PDF)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #134 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

ZZzzzzz . . .

Another installment of Strange But True.

If cigarette smoke residue has rendered the unit unsafe as per regulations, then that's that.

there must have been 8 chinese chain smokers in a tiny closed room to make tar appear on the device
wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Just quit smoking, it's that simple. Smoking does not do anything for the smoker, so why should anyone who does not smoke work for hours on a product that is potentially hazardous to his or her health.
If you have asthma or in any way allergic to smoking, even buying and reading a used book from a smoking home, can cause you serious health problem. I know a car dealership that charges extra to work on any smoker vehicle.

Quit smoking. The only thing that will happen to you is that you will live longer with less health-related problems. And someone else do not have to suffer because you chose to suffocate your life.

i tried to quit for 35 yrs.
not so easy
i also want so say your book remark is bull
but i have sat on a heavy smokers couch that was cleaned and aired for 2 yrs.
it still stank. so your book remark rings true
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't smoke, but I find your attitude quite unbelievable. Last I checked, it is a perfectly legal activity. If smoking did "nothing" for the smoker -- e.g., give them pleasure -- why would they smoke in the first place? And 'hazardous to health?' People lie around in the sun, eat too much red meat, put too much salt in their food, drive above the speed limit, drive after they've had a drink or two, have unprotected/unsafe sex, don't wash hands enough, etc , etc. Would you ban all such activity?

Just because freedom of action allows many bad habits does not mean we have to accept it or deal with it or them in any way shape or form . We also have rights .
this is your first bad post i have ever read. really bad
i smoked and almost died from throat cancer
smoking is a nasty expensive disease
smokers are drug addicts
playing devils advocate on a debating team is the only reason for this post
shame
Other people will yell you off also .
peace 9

That's a silly analogy. If so, Apple should state upfront that either that a person in that situation would not qualify for Applecare, or they should charge extra. They do neither.

I can see this going to court.

Just because freedom of action allows many bad habits does not mean we have to accept it or deal with it or them in any way shape or form . We also have rights .
this is your first bad post i have ever read. really bad
i smoked and almost died from throat cancer
smoking is a nasty expensive disease
smokers are drug addicts
playing devils advocate on a debating team is the only reason for this post
shame
Other people will yell you off also .
peace 9


Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Smoking Kills!...applecare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is nonsense.

In the first place just because it isn't illegal now in your country, doesn't mean it won't be soon, or isn't be already in more civilised places. In the second place, your argument about why a smoker smokes is based on the idea of free will when in fact smoking is a simple drug addiction. It has nothing to do with making rational choices or free will.

Smokers are drug addicts. That's just a simple fact. They have no more control over smoking than a crackhead does over doing crack or a wino has over drinking.

Third, all your analogies are junk in that laying around in the sun, eating red meat etc., are not only a choice, they are choices that don't affect anyone else.

Smoke is poison (another fact). Second hand smoke has been proven many times over to be just as bad as firsthand smoke, and third hand smoke is implicated in the latest research as well. No one has the right to poison those around them. They never did. We just weren't sufficiently aware of how dangerous smoking was before.

Drug addicts don't have the same rights as normal people and there is no "inalienable right" to do drugs. Even if there were, a person's human rights end where another's begin. A person may have the right to shoot a gun, but they don't have the right to shoot it at someone else. Even if a smoker had some kind of "right" to smoke, they don't have the right to do it around anyone else.

Smoking will be illegal in public in your lifetime probably. Get used to it.

great post
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #135 of 332
There are basically two kinds of people posting here: those who have worked on the insides of computers for a living and those who haven't.

While opinions are all over the place amongst those who haven't, everyone with experience repairing computers understands where a policy like this is coming from.

I agree with the person who said that this is probably the result of a lawsuit, most likely elsewhere in the industry. After all, technicians have been handling machines full of toxic buildup for decades. Something triggered this. Maybe OSHA itself.
post #136 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

There are basically two kinds of people posting here: those who have worked on the insides of computers for a living and those who havent.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #137 of 332
TAKE AWAY all drugs (legal and illegal; from coffee to heroin, including also alcohol) and the humans will collapse. Why are humans so utterly STUPID is beyond my understanding!

And remember that it is not just you. It is also the environment, the cost to others (including the healthcare system) and last but not least, the cost to the future generations.

Because most of such shit (legal and illegal) will cause mutations not only to the somatic cells (read cancer for you and for others), but also to the germ cells (read diseases for future generations).

As said, this is amazing!
post #138 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Water is also on OSHA's list. Water is toxic.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsamp...oc/chmn_W.html

Where?
post #139 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They do. Its right there in AppleCare coverage legalese and its quite clear though I would think common sense would make it obvious that abuse and neglect of your equipment is not covered...

I was thinking they should make it more explicit, especially when they're trying to push Applecare onto you at the store or through the phone. They don't really touch on that, we all know most people don't bother reading through the T&Cs. Apple store staff are usually quite good at clearing things up, and warranties are quite misunderstood.
post #140 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Dude. Have you ever been to smomeones house, smoke free and have a look at their fans. Olooks just like that.

No it doesn't. That stuff is most certainly NOT from dust. That is some serious buildup and it doesn't look safe. At all. I wouldn't touch that thing.
post #141 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokheed View Post

Not likely. They didn't ask whether the customer smoked. The damage from the tar was severe enough to warrant refusal. That means visible evidence was discovered.

If nicotine is on the list of health hazards, then Apple has a case. A proper reply to Apple's position is to discover whether the amount of nicotine found on the PC is sufficient enough to cause harm.


Totally agree. Tobacco is poison and nothing else.
If people want to poison themselves, so be it — until it will be deemed
a prejudice for society at large (as soon as possible).
But they don"t have to poison others.
Anyway, total ban of cigarette smoking is in the pipeline — at least in Europe.
I can't wait for it.
Non Smokers of the World, Unite.
post #142 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I was thinking they should make it more explicit, especially when they're trying to push Applecare onto you at the store or through the phone. They don't really touch on that, we all know most people don't bother reading through the T&Cs. Apple store staff are usually quite good at clearing things up, and warranties are quite misunderstood.

So they should go over every possible scenario that a user could do to a product that is not a manufacturers defect? That would take more than a lifetime. They are clear about it and common sense dictates that if you break it they are not responsible. This is no different than any other manufacturers warranty.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #143 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No it doesn't. That stuff is most certainly NOT from dust. That is some serious buildup and it doesn't look safe. At all. I wouldn't touch that thing.

Our house and office are absolutely smoke free since years.
Our Macs are just dusted regularly from fan dust. After that,
they're clean as a baby.
post #144 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

That's hilarious. As is the attitude here towards smokers.

Apple should just put out a disclaimer letting people know smoke damage will void their Applecare. I didn't even know about tar buildup in computers, so educating people before they purchase would cover their backs. Although there may be issues for those living with smokers, since they aren't the ones being negligent.

You have a great point. I am a reformed smoker. I don't smoke anymore but I don't expect the whole world to stop smoking because I did. Also the whole human race is very self destructive. So should we outlaw or ban everything that is not healthy for you? Who decides that? The Government? Where do we draw the line? Almost everything we buy in fast food places is not good for us! So should we ban those things? Studies has shown how obese people get after being on a fast food diet. So should people be denied health care because they eat too much fast food? They drive up health care costs don't they?

No getting back to the point at hand. If there was way too much tar build inside the Apple computer in question and Apple could without a doubt pinpoint the exact cause then they should at least warn this person that hey.....we are going to do this this one time BUT in the future we are going to deny service on your machine because we deem it to be a hazard for our service techs.
Apple should make this very clear in their Apple Care purchase process. That's all end of argument.
From a personal view I have seen Apple repair/replace products very liberally. My experience has been that they really value their customers.
On another point....just a little chastising. It would be nice to be able to post tech opinions here without be attacked personally. Far too many times here on these forums if someone disagress with someone they attack them on a personal level or call names.
C'mon people lets just stick to the subject and not take things so personal. Lighten up!
Lets debate and get a dialogue but don't attack someone just because they disagree with you! :

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #145 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

TAKE AWAY all drugs (legal and illegal; from coffee to heroin, including also alcohol) and the humans will collapse. Why are humans so utterly STUPID is beyond my understanding!

And remember that it is not just you. It is also the environment, the cost to others (including the healthcare system) and last but not least, the cost to the future generations.

Because most of such shit (legal and illegal) will cause mutations not only to the somatic cells (read cancer for you and for others), but also to the germ cells (read diseases for future generations).

As said, this is amazing!

Perfectly right.
post #146 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

by that token everyone who has ever had an alcoholic beverage is a drug addict, which I think is quite an overstatement.
And smoking also has no effect on anyone else - so anantksundaram's analogies are quite appropriate. I would only ever smoke alone or with other smokers - the same is true for most people I know.

People who drink don"t harm others — unless they punch tehem or drive under influence and wreak havoc.
People who smoke do harm others, and parents who smoke at home with their kids are criminals.
post #147 of 332
Quit smoking. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone




Seriously though, I have opened up smokers laptops that are clogged full of tar and smoke. Once you see it yourself you will change your mind. I've also opened up laptops clogged full of cat hair and urine. I've also seen insect infestations inside PC towers. You have to draw the line somewhere.
post #148 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Quit smoking. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

post #149 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Quit smoking. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

Brilliant!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #150 of 332
Those pictures of the smoky innards of the computer... fantastic! Great pictures - and from Nawf Carolahnuh (my old home) the tobacco state!
post #151 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So they should go over every possible scenario that a user could do to a product that is not a manufacturers defect? That would take more than a lifetime. They are clear about it and common sense dictates that if you break it they are not responsible. This is no different than any other manufacturers warranty.

Hardly. Yet smoking is less obvious as a form of abuse or neglect than dropping a computer, spilling drink on it, hitting it with a sledgehammer, hitting someone over the head with it, taking it swimming/out in the rain, etc. Hell, quite a few people on this forum (including myself) weren't aware of the damage caused by smoking, so how could the average consumer be?

Apple prides itself on being better than most other manufacturers *cue Quadra's list of consumer satisfaction links*
post #152 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig View Post

If MacIntoshes are superior to PCs, then why are the PC warranties much better? What extra value would I get by spending $1000 more for a MacIntosh?

My experience with a Dell warranty was a roommate spending hours arguing that an extended problem should not take up two out of five of her incidents. I've heard similar from many people.

On the other hand, I've gone to the Genius Bar with my many-year-old far out of warranty iBook, and had them repair it.

But I agree. When someone clumsy uses my laptop, s/he sits in one place with it. It's a 1.5k machine, and I treat it with respect.
post #153 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Quit smoking. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

Priceless!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #154 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Hardly. Yet smoking is less obvious as a form of abuse or neglect than dropping a computer, spilling drink on it, hitting it with a sledgehammer, hitting someone over the head with it, taking it swimming/out in the rain, etc. Hell, quite a few people on this forum (including myself) weren't aware of the damage caused by smoking, so how could the average consumer be?

Id say its fairly obvious and Im not a smoker. Plus, its not just smoking that causes this problem. Its very heavy smoking in a small unventilated space with a lot of dust. This is far from the typical an will not affect the average smoker so that is two reasons Apple shouldnt be pointing out that smoking around their products will void their warranty.

PS: If Apple did a smokers addendum in their warranty the some of the same people up in arms on this forum about Apple not specifying that smoking would void the warranty would be up in arms for Apple making products that are more susceptible to smoke because other PC vendors dont include such an addendum so in their minds it means that Apples products are less durable.

Quote:
Apple prides itself on being better than most other manufacturers *cue Quadra's list of consumer satisfaction links*

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #155 of 332
[QUOTE=Dunks;1524617]I have nothing but seething rage for people who smoke while walking down the street in front of me and people who absolutely reek of smoke then come into my business and expect me to stand there and hold back my gag reflex while they talk to me about their meaningless existence. If I needed to work on my gag reflex I'd deep throat cocks for a living.

Recreational substance use is supposed to be an occasional activity, not an every-third-fucking-minute-and-in-the-most-intrusive-dosage-form-possible-and-with-an-I'm-entitled-to-do-whatever-the-fuck-I-want-attitude activity.

I'd rate heroin users who use clean injecting equipment and dispose of it thoughtfully above people who smoke around others without consent any day.

There I said it.[/QUOTEthey say what comes around goes around. Smoking is an addiction pal so you best not walk the streets of los Angeles in the summer. The air is like smoking three packs a day. Regarding you anger, something bass coming your way. Unless you change your attitude. Tobacco co hid the truth for years. In countries where people do smoke more are killed just like the USA by accidents and heart dicease not smoking.

I hope apple gives them a new machine. If the machine is broken due to something else but they dint want to fix it due to OSHA then I hope they lose billions in sales and loses in court people in the us gave been so pogrammed. I've seen people die that never smokecnd people in their 90s smoking. It's gentic and natures way ar balacing the Eco system.

To many rainbow leftist here aids kills a lot too. The machine itself has more parts that can cause cancer then tar and nicotine is not dangerous. It's a stimulant. It's the tar that's bad.
post #156 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id say its fairly obvious and Im not a smoker. Plus, its not just smoking that causes this problem. Its very heavy smoking in a small unventilated space with a lot of dust. This is far from the typical an will not affect the average smoker so that is two reasons Apple shouldnt be pointing out that smoking around their products will void their warranty.

PS: If Apple did a smokers addendum in their warranty the some of the same people up in arms on this forum about Apple not specifying that smoking would void the warranty would be up in arms for Apple making products that are more susceptible to smoke because other PC vendors dont include such an addendum so in their minds it means that Apples products are less durable.



See that is a good point. Just how much smoking would cause the buildup in question? how much smoking in a tight small poorly ventilated space would cause that type of build up? But I would think a addendum would not be in order but maybe just stronger more explicit warning included right along with the rest of the warranty warnings.
IMHO you can't deny coverage for something that you have not warned about.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #157 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

IMHO you can't deny coverage for something that you have not warned about.

That isnt an opinion, that is a fact, but all warranties clearly state that misuse and abuse are void warranties and that warranties protect the purchaser from manufacturers defects. There is no such defect by a manufacturer that can cause this.
Subject to these Terms and Conditions, your Plan covers defects for the Apple- branded product(s) listed in your Planʼs Certificate or Proof of Coverage document

The Plan does not cover damage [] caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse, unauthorized modification, extreme environment, extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes
A disclaimer for each in possible incident is silly. Its clear the warranty is for defects caused by Apple or its partners and does not cover mental defects on the part of their users. If it did, then Teckstud wouldnt even be allowed inside an Apple Store.
http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...glish_v5.2.pdf (PDF) I really dont see how it could be unclear that having that much tar and dust build up in a machine is Apples fault and responsibility under the warranty.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #158 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I hope apple gives them a new machine. If the machine is broken due to something else but they dint want to fix it due to OSHA then I hope they lose billions in sales and loses in court people in the us gave been so pogrammed. I've seen people die that never smokecnd people in their 90s smoking. It's gentic and natures way ar balacing the Eco system.

To many rainbow leftist here aids kills a lot too. The machine itself has more parts that can cause cancer then tar and nicotine is not dangerous. It's a stimulant. It's the tar that's bad.

I hope that isn't really your position.

It's gentic and natures way ar balacing the Eco system.

post #159 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodie View Post

My experience with a Dell warranty was a roommate spending hours arguing that an extended problem should not take up two out of five of her incidents. I've heard similar from many people.

On the other hand, I've gone to the Genius Bar with my many-year-old far out of warranty iBook, and had them repair it.

Bourgeoises Pig, this is preposterous.
Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig
If MacIntoshes are superior to PCs, then why are the PC warranties much better? What extra value would I get by spending $1000 more for a MacIntosh?

Apple Care is the best service in the industry, period.
5 examples :
1 . G5 blew up power supply. It was out of Apple Care since 4 months. Nevertheless, Apple offered graciously to repair it. They repaired it twice until it was settled.
2. Powerbook had defective keyboard. Out of warranty since a month. Apple replaced keyboard graciously.
3. Aside modern machines, we have here 2 older PPC Powerbook, out of warranty since years.
Each time we call Apple Care for some support, they NEVER ask anything and graciously help us.

Please find an example of such customer-oriented service with any Dell, M$oft of HP pile of crap and stop writing non-sense about Apple servicing.

My experience with M$oft : 2 years of naggling with their lousy support about these bugs that cripple their lousy Office, to finally obtain ONE copy of an Office 2004 UPGRADE. How generous.
My experience with HP : bought a PRO photo printer for 2400 euros, under warranty. HP denied it was under warranty. ONE MONTH of struggles with their reps to finally obtain a letter granting warranty to that machine. Reason ? We bought it in the UK and imported it in Europe, which is perfectly legit under their own terms and conditions. Any second hand car seller does that, they lose their shirt in court. Because this is HP, they get away with it. Thanks Carly Fiorina, good luck if she ever becomes gov of California.
I speak from a 10 years experience, using about 25 machines.
post #160 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'll come right out and say it that I'm a smoker, but with that said, I am probably one of the most conscientious smokers you'll find out there. You're pointed remarks that smokers are drug addicts is flat out wrong and it speaks from your personal hatred of smokers, which is evident. Yes, nicotine is an addictive drug, but not all who smoke become addicted. In fact, many willingly walk away, and I've known quite a few. You can't be an addict if you can willing quit. I guess that proves you wrong. Frankly, I despise your type who think its their business to tell others what they should and should not be doing and how to do it. Funny you come from Canada. By the way, I'm not sure where you hail from in the nation that is our attic, but I would rather be a smoker who lives in the beautiful, clean New England than a so called "healthy" individual who has lived in a city all their lives. Every time I drive to NYC for a visit, I laugh to myself as I imagine all those poor saps living is that DISGUSTING blanket of haze that's called pollution. So think twice before you go lecturing smokers my friend, because there is much much more out there that is at least as deadly as cigarette smoke.
ut.

Bullshit
Smoking is more additive than heroin
I know for a fact
I have had to battle both diseases. The human toll on society from all addictions is uncounted except for the ocean of tears.
How many children have no mommies or daddies ??
if someone can walk away from smoking / my god !! I am happy for them and hope they stay quit.

Concerning your NYC visits.
If you dislike us so much stay away .

You rightly mention the haze of smoke in nyc.
Agreed.
Yet you missed outside every office building in nyc>> Small bands of far eyed people smoking >>. Smoking with a drug addicts like fix. ThIS scene I describe and you somehow missed is true for thousands of office buildings around NYC /SAN FRAN etc etc

How sad to see thousands of small groups of smoking humans, I wonder how since I quit smoking
How many of these poor souls will end up in sloan kettering for throat cancer ??
Like me .
Get it ??

Your clean new england air is a wonderment my friend.
and new yorker's lead the charge to cap the acid rain type smoke bellowing forth from OHIO factories
I have driven countless clients up to vermont & NH just for the trees and clean crisp air .

My fellowAmerican please stop smoking.Stop your silly self serving excuses that in the end will kill you .

PART 2 OF 3

I will ignore your nasty cracks and i will wish you too quit smoking please
please 100x

Cause effect systems in your mind is not correct / are not correct

Simple facts written in iron bearing rock.

IF you smoke you will die young or before your time.

IF you smoke others will die young from your smoke.
.
IF you smoke you are a drug addict.

IF you smoke you have a serious health related disease.

IF you smoke society will tax you heavy and depend on your ongoing addiction to fund their state budgets every year, the state will also cut back on your cancer drug payments

IF you smoke you are fooling only your self in hundreds of ways >>I can say you stink /reek or smoke / i can state for truth that your clothes stink of smoke even thou you pollute your CLEAN N E air.., people around you avoid you like the plague . You smell bad dude A noxoius smell that lingers

IF you smoke you belong to a ever dwindling club of possible lucky winners of dozens of diff types of cancer. You may even get a voice box to keep your smoking going strong after cancer treatment !!! Lucky you .

IF you smoke you will come here in denial of the truth and get a little high handed and a little angry

IF you smoke you have a much harder time to quit than heroin addiction.

I was so addicted to smoking that i smoked all the way thru treatment
one day i simply stopped..
I hope I never fall again.

I hope you quit dude
my fellow human from the milky way galaxly

part 3 of 3

Do not hate people who try to save your life
Come vist me in nyc and i will bring you to sloan kettering cancer hosp. on 66 st nyc to visit the kids dying of cancer.
IT IS a soul changing time .
I still months later weep for no reason but
but
but
but thoughts of THEM holding MY HANDS TRYING TO LIFT ME UP IN MY TIME OF DEEP DESPAIR
I spent 9 months amoung these brave kids who did no whining like me or you.
They sat there took treatment and most simply died .
REplaced in hours by another.




BNeathing clean NE air does not negate your coming throat tongue lip nose jaw head brain neck lung liver cancer,s that smoking takes from us in the millions.
I would bring you to the smokers cancer ward.
but its too horror for even me , I was one of them .

i WAS one of them
i was one of them
one of them

of them


no more ..




quit
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Smoking may void Applecare warranty