or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod touch camera rumors resurface with claimed spring release

iPod touch camera rumors resurface with claimed spring release - Page 2

post #41 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

I'd been intending to buy a Touch for a long time but was waiting for Apple to add a camera. Now if it comes out with a video-only camera, I'll have to forget it entirely. What is this infatuation with video-only cameras?

This enables Apple to have bragging rights on the number of videos posted to youtube. Apple is getting more and more all about Apple these days and not the consumer.
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It'll be interesting to see the iPod numbers from Q1 2010 but Apple probably lost some sales due to the lack of a camera with the latest iPod Touch. Why it is that big of a deal I'm not sure? If it packed a 5 mega pixel camera with sould serious digital zoom and auto correct along with a flash then that might replace some consumer cameras.

I'd say Apple should update the camera in January as spring is a bit far away.

the fact that they are saying spring and that is the time for the rumored tablet, I can't help but think that any cameras being considered right not will be for that device. As a user facing webcam to ichat with the tablet, where you wouldn't need the sharpness of a high grade still shot.

After all, it seems like the decision to not put a camera in the touch was not technical but economic. They wanted to position the touch as a game device, not a "iphone but with VOIP not a 'real' phone" and used the camera (a typical feature of cell phones these days) as another item to encourage folks to get an iphone rather than a touch and kept their dumb phone, etc

video and radio in the nano was to keep them viable in the age of the zune etc
post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never said he directly said that if you reread my post.
Also you left this out (clever ommission I'd say):

Clever ommission?

It's the same as: "We started to market it that way"
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #44 of 93
Is there a way to put teckstud on ignore? I come here for info and conversation...not MS talking points memos.
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Is there a way to put teckstud on ignore? I come here for info and conversation...not MS talking points memos.

yes, go to "user CP" and add him to the ignore list.

Made my life way better.
post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

MS talking point memos? What's that?
post #47 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Made my life way better.

Ah! Thanks. Done! I should have figured that out myself so apologies there.
post #48 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

and you realize that is exactly how an optical zoom also works, right?

LOLZ, yeah.
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Made my life way better.

Ah the boards are less cacophonous already. No Tekslug!
post #50 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, it isn't. There is no interpolation in optical zoom.
If you don't understand that, I'll make it simple: a digitally zoomed picture will be blurrier at the same resolution than the same shot made with optical zoom.

I never suggested there wasn't any difference in quality.
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Ah the boards are less cacophonous already. No Tekslug!

God forbid anybody be discordant from the cultists. I'm glad the cultists are banding together so there can be a serious, unbiased discussion on topics here.
post #52 of 93
It depends when the iPods would come out.

Apple would get bad publicity if it released new iPods soon after releasing the high capacity ones recently.
post #53 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It'll be interesting to see the iPod numbers from Q1 2010 but Apple probably lost some sales due to the lack of a camera with the latest iPod Touch. Why it is that big of a deal I'm not sure? If it packed a 5 mega pixel camera with sould serious digital zoom and auto correct along with a flash then that might replace some consumer cameras.

I'd say Apple should update the camera in January as spring is a bit far away.

As the less-trollish of us here have stated, a mid-cycle update doesnt seem unlikely. Its obvious that the camera was intended but something held it back. Hopefully theyll be able to use a better camera than the Nano got. Directly competing with Flip HD is out of the question with the current thickness, but perhaps competing a little better than the Nano does would be enough.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #54 of 93
Quote:

God forbid anybody be discordant from the cultists. I'm glad the cultists are banding together so there can be a serious, unbiased discussion on topics here.

you've got more hits than Chris Brown my friend.
post #55 of 93
Quote:

I'm with you on this one, Teckstud.

There's absolutely no reason there shouldn't have been a camera on the iPod Touch and the "Gaming Device" BS was just a coverup for their own failure... or greed... you decide.

The fact is that the Nano got one and their beloved the iPhone got one (true video support anyway) so either it's a mfg error or an insulting up-sell to spite those who aren't stupid enough to buy more than they need or settle for the inferior 90%-profit-margin model.

I hope it isn't the latter, but if a Touch update comes and goes without a camera, we will all know which it is.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

There's absolutely no reason there shouldn't have been a camera on the iPod Touch […] The fact is that the Nano got one and their beloved the iPhone got one (true video support anyway) so either it's a mfg error or an insulting up-sell

Both of those are reasons. One is a technical the other is business related. I can understand not respecting the latter but it doesn’t mean it isn’t a reason.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Both of those are reasons. One is a technical the other is business related. I can understand not respecting the latter but it doesnt mean it isnt a reason.

Come now Soli, let's not pick apart a stupid non-existent contradiction.

It's obvious from the context and tone that I meant there was no "acceptable" reason. My reasons for saying so are:

The iPod's technology is so similar to the iPhone, it has been capable of donning a camera since it's launch. -OR- The upsell is insulting and therefore not a good reason to have omitted the camera.

-Clive
post #58 of 93
Quote:

It's obvious from the context and tone that I meant there was no "acceptable" reason. My reasons for saying so are:

The iPod's technology is so similar to the iPhone, it has been capable of donning a camera since it's launch. -OR- The upsell is insulting and therefore not a good reason to have omitted the camera.

Ill give you that. It is a pet peeve of mine but I know I your posts well enough to have known better. I assure you there are many others that cant see reasons they find unacceptable as actual reasons.

The reason to save a buck is pretty weak, even for Apple. I cant imagine that the cost of the camera is much and if they had been able to secure enough of the component and had completed the assembly process and OS integration it would seem foolish to pull. This leads me to think it was purely technical.

The Nano and Touch are both iPods but they have very different OSes. Its possible that they two teams that worked on each device were unsuccessful with the Touch but successful with the Nano. If they do offer a new Touch mid-cycle I think we can deduce that this was likely the case.

Case in point of something that may seem simple may not be is the last launch of the MBP. Apple only shipped a 1.5Gbps SATA connector despite 3Gbps being the standard for several years. They later updated it with a driver update but there are still many 3rd-party drives that dont work right with these new MBPs. This is a SATA connector for the one component in a machine that doesnt need to have Apples name on it and that is agnostic to the manufacturer. If that can happen then I think Apple getting a new component working in a device running iPhone OS is not out of the question.
post #59 of 93
Quote:

The reason to save a buck is pretty weak, even for Apple. I cant imagine that the cost of the camera is much and if they had been able to secure enough of the component and had completed the assembly process and OS integration it would seem foolish to pull. This leads me to think it was purely technical.

There's no way it was to save a buck (or, cent).

Apple tends to have their products fairly linear, and so to have a feature on a cheaper product is out of line with their model.
post #60 of 93
Quote:

I never said he directly said that if you reread my post.
Also you left this out (clever ommission I'd say):

How is that a "clever omission"? That's not a direct quote from Jobs. And as JLL pointed out, it amounts to the same thing as what I did quote him as saying.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

WTF....we dont want that cheap ass Video Only camera on iPod Touch. Please Apple dont slap our faces with something like that....I bought the DSI for my daughter because you guys f'd up the last round.....

I also did not buy the new iPod Touch for my daughter's birthday because it didn't have a camera. I ended up buying her a cheap PC laptop (which happens to have a camera).

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #62 of 93
...seem to remember iChat is built on SIP, but was seemingly purposely broken so it could not connect to other SIP telephone clients.

Unbreaking it, and making iChat into a real Telephone platform, would seem trivial and obvious move.
post #63 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

How is that a "clever omission"? That's not a direct quote from Jobs. And as JLL pointed out, it amounts to the same thing as what I did quote him as saying.

I guess you also believe he's eating a lot of ice cream too.
You seriously believe everything the spinmeister tells you?
post #64 of 93
Quote:

The Nano and Touch are both iPods but they have very different OSes. Its possible that they two teams that worked on each device were unsuccessful with the Touch but successful with the Nano. If they do offer a new Touch mid-cycle I think we can deduce that this was likely the case.

I think we can agree that the attempt to save a buck - if so - is pretty low.

The problem I have with the mfg error is that the camera has been long overdue on the iPod Touch already (IMHO, of course). 1st gen is an expected omission, 2nd gen is cheap but not offensive, 3rd gen is ridiculous. For a feature that has been such a long time coming, it is truly an unacceptable error to make.

I'm having trouble, internally, deciding whether Apple was stupidly irresponsible, or stupidly stingy.

-Clive
post #65 of 93
Quote:

I'm with you on this one, Teckstud.

There's absolutely no reason there shouldn't have been a camera on the iPod Touch and the "Gaming Device" BS was just a coverup for their own failure... or greed... you decide.

The fact is that the Nano got one and their beloved the iPhone got one (true video support anyway) so either it's a mfg error or an insulting up-sell to spite those who aren't stupid enough to buy more than they need or settle for the inferior 90%-profit-margin model.

I hope it isn't the latter, but if a Touch update comes and goes without a camera, we will all know which it is.

-Clive

I will never understand this line of thought.

Apple makes the products they do, with the features they have. They have their reasons. To the extent that those products and features conform to what their buyers want, they are successful in the marketplace and make Apple a lot of money. To the extent that they do not, they aren't and don't.

In the latter case, the onus is on Apple to correct their strategy as a matter of good business. Speculation regarding Apple's incompetence or greed doesn't really enter into it, as that misguidedly anthropomorphizes what is simply a business calculation-- just like every other manufacturer of goods that every was.

If enough buyers are sufficiently dismayed by the feature set of the iPod Touch so as to not buy it, then Apple will have a decision to make. Until then, railing against them for not making the device you want with the features you want, as if that were an ethical or moral failing, doesn't really make any sense.

The irony, of course, is that if the iPod Touch weren't extremely desirable, no one would care. They would just buy the other, more fully featured machine that met their needs. But instead the prevailing idea seems to be that Apple makes the device that everyone wants, so therefore it absolutely must have all the features a given buyer wants, so as to be "perfect" for that buyer.

For instance, you could always get a Zune HD, but it doesn't have a camera and it doesn't work with Macs. But most folks seem to be impressed with what it can do, rather than what it can't. I haven't seen anyone berating MS for being evil or stupid or incompetent for not putting a camera on the Zune HD, have you? There's a reason for that disparity in perceptions-- the Zune is an "anything but Apple, take it or leave it" device, whereas the Touch is what most people actually want. So it's hard to simultaneously argue that Apple is doing it wrong by making their devices so desirable as to be the obvious choice, but not quite good enough to be everything to everybody.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #66 of 93
Quote:

I'm firmly of the belief that it was purely a technical issue. The fact that the iPhone OS and hardware supports both still and video photography seems to suggest it was a problem with the specific camera module they wanted to use. Rumors that it was a "bad batch" of modules would also suggest that it was not Apple's intent to use the same camera in the Nano as in the touch. Otherwise both would have been affected.

I think the problem was that a vendor told Apple they could deliver a module that offered both decent still resolution (maybe not as high as the iPhone's) and SD video in a package that would fit in the thin touch case. They probably even supplied some low-volume samples for Apple's systems integration testing. But when it came time to ramp up production, they found that it was impossible to maintain quality given the space contraints. So either the parts didn't fit in the space provided, or the image quality was crap. And as we all know, Steve won't deliver crap, so the camera was yanked.

And if a touch is released in the spring with the Nano's SD video-only camara, it will reinforce my belief that the only way to get a good camera in the touch is to make it thicker. So a spring update will be just to buy time until they can redesign the touch for it's normal Fall update, and it will debut a slightly thicker case.
post #67 of 93
I had hoped the 3rd generation touch would come with the same camera that's in the iPhone. Now I know that's technically impossible because the case is too thin so my interest in having a camera in the touch is gone.

The feature I'm waiting for now is 128GB capacity so I can carry my entire music library. I currently have no music on my touch because it's too much of a pain to pick and choose songs. I have an older shuffle that does random selections by default so I use that for music and use the touch for apps, photos and podcasts.
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple makes the products they do, with the features they have. They have their reasons. To the extent that those products and features conform to what their buyers want, they are successful in the marketplace and make Apple a lot of money. To the extent that they do not, they aren't and don't.

In the latter case, the onus is on Apple to correct their strategy as a matter of good business. Speculation regarding Apple's incompetence or greed doesn't really enter into it, as that misguidedly anthropomorphizes what is simply a business calculation-- just like every other manufacturer of goods that every was.

If enough buyers are sufficiently dismayed by the feature set of the iPod Touch so as to not buy it, then Apple will have a decision to make. Until then, railing against them for not making the device you want with the features you want, as if that were an ethical or moral failing, doesn't really make any sense.

The irony, of course, is that if the iPod Touch weren't extremely desirable, no one would care. They would just buy the other, more fully featured machine that met their needs. But instead the prevailing idea seems to be that Apple makes the device that everyone wants, so therefore it absolutely must have all the features a given buyer wants, so as to be "perfect" for that buyer.

For instance, you could always get a Zune HD, but it doesn't have a camera and it doesn't work with Macs. But most folks seem to be impressed with what it can do, rather than what it can't. I haven't seen anyone berating MS for being evil or stupid or incompetent for not putting a camera on the Zune HD, have you? There's a reason for that disparity in perceptions-- the Zune is an "anything but Apple, take it or leave it" device, whereas the Touch is what most people actually want. So it's hard to simultaneously argue that Apple is doing it wrong by making their devices so desirable as to be the obvious choice, but not quite good enough to be everything to everybody.

Just add a camera to it.
Not that big a deal.
post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I had hoped the 3rd generation touch would come with the same camera that's in the iPhone. Now I know that's technically impossible because the case is too thin so my interest in having a camera in the touch is gone.

The feature I'm waiting for now is 128GB capacity so I can carry my entire music library. I currently have no music on my touch because it's too much of a pain to pick and choose songs. I have an older shuffle that does random selections by default so I use that for music and use the touch for apps, photos and podcasts.

If they increased the width slightly , added a kick-ass camera and a flash- wouldn't you want that?
post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm firmly of the belief that it was purely a technical issue. The fact that the iPhone OS and hardware supports both still and video photography seems to suggest it was a problem with the specific camera module they wanted to use. Rumors that it was a "bad batch" of modules would also suggest that it was not Apple's intent to use the same camera in the Nano as in the touch. Otherwise both would have been affected.

I think the problem was that a vendor told Apple they could deliver a module that offered both decent still resolution (maybe not as high as the iPhone's) and SD video in a package that would fit in the thin touch case. They probably even supplied some low-volume samples for Apple's systems integration testing. But when it came time to ramp up production, they found that it was impossible to maintain quality given the space contraints. So either the parts didn't fit in the space provided, or the image quality was crap. And as we all know, Steve won't deliver crap, so the camera was yanked.

And if a touch is released in the spring with the Nano's SD video-only camara, it will reinforce my belief that the only way to get a good camera in the touch is to make it thicker. So a spring update will be just to buy time until they can redesign the touch for it's normal Fall update, and it will debut a slightly thicker case.

Or AT&T nixed it cause it would violate their contract with Apple by turning it into a hand held all in one skype phone.
post #71 of 93
i really wish that apple would replace the silver backing of the touch with a black plastic casing instead. the aluminum or whatever it is now scratches way too easily. I also wouldn't mind if the whole front of the touch was just a screen. There is too much empty space between the top and bottom of the screen to the top and bottom edges of the touch. I dont know how useful a camera would be on a touch when you can just use your phone. gps and compass would be nice though.
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

i really wish that apple would replace the silver backing of the touch with a black plastic casing instead. the aluminum or whatever it is now scratches way too easily. I also wouldn't mind if the whole front of the touch was just a screen. There is too much empty space between the top and bottom of the screen to the top and bottom edges of the touch. I dont know how useful a camera would be on a touch when you can just use your phone. gps and compass would be nice though.

Stop whining- that's Apple planned obsolescence program in action- your iPod only looks good 9 months at most then its time to buy a new one. Either buy a case or a new iPod- simple.
post #73 of 93
I have been waiting to get an iPod Touch since about May. I was waiting for the 3rd gen iPod Touch to come out, but I decided not to buy one in September with all the rumors that a camera was still coming to the Touch in the near future. I currently do not have an iPod right now, so I am a little itchy to get one. However, I would be a little disgusted if I bought an Touch right now, and then Apple came out with a camera in the near future. I do really want a camera on it, since my cell phone does not have one. Do you suggest I get the Touch soon (by Christmas) or wait for the camera? I have to say that I really don't think Apple will put a camera in the Touch until the traditional September iPod refresh next year...they will just end up aggravating a lot of customers who already purchased the current camera-less Touch. Also, I'm not sure how many people are actually holding back from buying the current iPod Touch just because it doesn't have a camera. I wanted to get your opinions though.

Thanks!!! I'd really appreciate any advice.
post #74 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

*sigh*

You can try to pretend like this is a notion that contradicts mine, but it is not. I know how business works, and I'm not critiquing Apple's success in the marketplace, as that is self-evident.

All your wall of text has managed to do is increase the perception that Apple cares more about the buck than they do leading the marketplace ("skating to where the puck is going"). Of course, doing so is their own prerogative, and probably in the best interest of their shareholders, but in the end, it's insulting to the consumer... at least those who, like me, know better.

-Clive
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by infowarrior45 View Post

I have been waiting to get an iPod Touch since about May. I was waiting for the 3rd gen iPod Touch to come out, but I decided not to buy one in September with all the rumors that a camera was still coming to the Touch in the near future. I currently do not have an iPod right now, so I am a little itchy to get one. However, I would be a little disgusted if I bought an Touch right now, and then Apple came out with a camera in the near future. I do really want a camera on it, since my cell phone does not have one. Do you suggest I get the Touch soon (by Christmas) or wait for the camera? I have to say that I really don't think Apple will put a camera in the Touch until the traditional September iPod refresh next year...they will just end up aggravating a lot of customers who already purchased the current camera-less Touch. Also, I'm not sure how many people are actually holding back from buying the current iPod Touch just because it doesn't have a camera. I wanted to get your opinions though.

Thanks!!! I'd really appreciate any advice.

The best time to buy any Apple product is right after they come out, especially their Macs since by the end of the cycle they simply arent a financial bargain compared to other PC vendors. However, the iPod line is a little more tricky since Apple has a majority share in this area. The next best thing to the Touch is the Zune HD and many simply dont even consider that a real option.

If you want a camera in an iPod now then you can always get the cheaper Nano. if the video camera is the main feature you wanted then that should suffice since the space in the Touch is the same size as in the Nano which means that Apple was likely going to use the same component in both. If you want the other features of the Touch and cant or wont get an iPhone then I suggest just waiting until the Touch does get a camera. By then it might actually be able to take still photos and be better quality than the Nanos camera.
post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by infowarrior45 View Post

I have been waiting to get an iPod Touch since about May...

After the 3rd gen debuted sans camera, I bought a 2nd gen refurb, which I intend to resell when the camera model comes out. iPods retain their value pretty well, so it's a small investment in order to have the convenience of an iPod... or in my case, my substitute car radio. Gotta get that thing fixed....
post #77 of 93
Quote:

All your wall of text has managed to do is increase the perception that Apple cares more about the buck than they do leading the marketplace ("skating to where the puck is going"). Of course, doing so is their own prerogative, and probably in the best interest of their shareholders

This is how Apple has always operated and how every for profit company should operate. Unfortunately for you in this instance the consumers tend to what Apple is selling so there is no reason for them to alter their course. I’m not going to look back through the posts to see exactly what you expected from Apple but I’d wager it’s either a niche feature or something they likely couldn’t complete in time for the release, like the camera.
post #78 of 93
Quote:

The best time to buy any Apple product is right after they come out, especially their Macs since by the end of the cycle they simply aren’t a financial bargain compared to other PC vendors. However, the iPod line is a little more tricky since Apple has a majority share in this area. The next best thing to the Touch is the Zune HD and many simply don’t even consider that a real option.

If you want a camera in an iPod now then you can always get the cheaper Nano. if the video camera is the main feature you wanted then that should suffice since the space in the Touch is the same size as in the Nano which means that Apple was likely going to use the same component in both. If you want the other features of the Touch and can’t or won’t get an iPhone then I suggest just waiting until the Touch does get a camera. By then it might actually be able to take still photos and be better quality than the Nano’s camera.

Thanks! The main reasons I want the iPod Touch are the other features, primarily the apps. That is why I'm not really considering a Zune HD. Also, I had an Nano once, and I really wanted the bigger screen that the Touch has. You suggest waiting until the Touch gets a camera. When do you think this will happen? If it won't happen for a long time, I will buy something to hold me over, like Clive At Five suggested. Otherwise, I can wait.
post #79 of 93
Quote:

This is how Apple has always operated and how every for profit company should operate. Unfortunately for you in this instance the consumers tend to what Apple is selling so there is no reason for them to alter their course. Im not going to look back through the posts to see exactly what you expected from Apple but Id wager its either a niche feature or something they likely couldnt complete in time for the release, like the camera.

zzz.... you're repeating what addabox said and I myself acknowledged! Business is business! I know that. I'm just criticizing what I think is a bad business decision!

A camera is not a niche feature, not should it have been such an impassible hurdle, since they've been pairing it with the same technology profile in the iPhone since '07, and have shown that they can fit it in a skinny spatial profile like the iPod Nano. The two barriers to adding the feature have been conquered... Like your best bud Teckstud said, "Just add a camera to it. Not that big a deal."

-Clive
post #80 of 93
Quote:

A camera is not a niche feature, not should it have been such an impassible hurdle, since they've been pairing it with the same technology profile in the iPhone since '07, and have shown that they can fit it in a skinny spatial profile like the iPod Nano.

They have never added that camera to a device running iPhone OS. Your theory that Apple went through all the trouble to include a space for the video camera than matches the iPod Nano but then yanked it at the last minute has conspiracy theory written all over it. It makes no sense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod touch camera rumors resurface with claimed spring release