or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

post #1 of 220
Apple Monday night will debut new ads that tout the ability of the iPhone to browse the Web and handle calls at the same time, as AT&T this weekend continued to expand its advertising campaign that aims to "set the record straight" about its coverage.

Apple's two new TV spots show off the iPhone receiving e-mails and checking movie times while on a phone call. AT&T's UMTS/GSM network allows simultaneous voice and data connections, which Verizon's CDMA network does not.

According to BusinessWeek, the two ads will debut Monday evening during the shows "House" on Fox, "Dancing With the Stars" on ABC, and "How I Met Your Mother" on CBS.

The advertisements represent an indirect entry by Apple into the ongoing spat between Verizon and AT&T. In a series of holiday ads, Verizon has suggested that the iPhone is held back by an inferior 3G network.

The e-mail ad begins with a business-related scenario, portraying a situation where a caller is on a phone call with a client who asks, "Did you see my e-mail?" Apple of late has made progress in the enterprise market with the iPhone, despite its lack of a physical keyboard being perceived by some as a disadvantage for business users.

In addition, a pair of new AT&T commercials were in heavy rotation over the weekend, with actor Luke Wilson returning to state that AT&T's cell phone coverage reaches 97 percent of all Americans. The ad acknowledges Verizon and its recent attacks from the start.

"Recently Verizon has been making a big deal about maps," he says, standing atop a coverage map of the U.S. "I'm here to set the record straight."

Wilson then begins going through a list of cities where AT&T has coverage, represented by postcards he begins to rifle through. The first 30-second spot fades out with the actor and spokesman continuing his list.

As it aired over the weekend, the commercial would return later in the break with a second 30-second spot for "part two." Wilson eventually becomes visibly exasperated as the list of cities continues to mount. "I think we get the picture," he says, throwing postcards into the air.

Last week, AT&T debuted its first ad with Wilson in response to Verizon's claims. The commercial debuted as AT&T was hit with a setback in its lawsuit against Verizon over the competitor's "There's a map for that" ads. AT&T had hoped to have the commercials pulled from the air, but a federal judge denied that request.

Unlike the first ad with Wilson, the two-part "Postcards" spot that premiered over the weekend does not focus on 3G coverage. Instead, it simply speaks to cell phone coverage.
post #2 of 220
The TV stations running the ads must be loving this fight!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #3 of 220
Just fix the network, AT&T. You might have coverage for where 97% of Americans live, but that doesn't do much when you keep dropping calls-- that is where Verizon really gets the ammo from!
post #4 of 220
Ummm, what do any of these commercials have to do with AT&T's lackluster 3G coverage/service? Seems like they're skirting the issue... AGAIN!
post #5 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Ummm, what do any of these commercials have to do with AT&T's lackluster 3G coverage/service? Seems like they're skirting the issue... AGAIN!

They're skirting one issue but bringing up another, equally important issue. Not being able to do voice and data simultaneously is a major shortcoming of the Verizon network IMO.
post #6 of 220
Sorry to be nitpicking, but the GSM system cannot handle simultaneous data and voice-calls (with or without EDGE).

However, the UMTS system (i.e. AT&T:s version of 3G) can, whereas Verizons version cannot.

Still, it's fun to see Apple join this "fight" and do it by pointing out the advantages with the iPhone and UMTS instead of badmouthing the competition.
post #7 of 220
As a response ad, these are pretty good. They change the terms of the argument to AT&T's forte.
And the human touch and production quality of the ads are far better than Verizon's cold and digital animation style.
post #8 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

They're skirting one issue but bringing up another, equally important issue. Not being able to do voice and data simultaneously is a major shortcoming of the Verizon network IMO.

I agree. I didn't realize that you couldn't do both on Verizon. This feature has come in handy plenty of times for me when using my iPhone. I just wish AT&T wouldn't drop my phone calls so often. I must admit that I've seen improvement from AT&T. My signal doesn't switch to the slower EDGE network all the time like it use to when I first got my iPhone last August.

The downside of AT&T having a smaller 3G area is when traveling. It took me forever to download an iTunes Album when I was driving from Jacksonville, FL to Savannah, GA because of the lack of 3G coverage between the cities.
post #9 of 220
Too much, too little, too late- the damage has been done.
post #10 of 220
New AT&T Ads....the second is actually effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwBHqa6lZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioSntkD8lE
post #11 of 220
... I guess they just weren't meant to be. Decent attempt by Apple, but from what I've seen it's pretty hard to defend AT&T. On to the next round.
post #12 of 220
Luke's looking a slight bit overdone ..Love the Verizon ads; a benefit to us all.
post #13 of 220
Obviously, the title of your autobiography

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too much, too little, too late- the damage has been done.
post #14 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Not even Kris Kringle and the Winter Warlock singing "Put One App in Front of the Other" can reverse the damage Verizon has wrought.
post #15 of 220
I travel through Montana and Bozeman a lot. Coverage there is HORRIBLE. I often can't connect to the internet, and for some strange reason my time gets set an hour off. Bozeman is not a great example of ATT's "superior" network.
post #16 of 220
Once Apple enters the battle with their own ads, it's game over for whoever is on the receiving end.

I mean, Verizon's attempts are already cancelled out by the fact that they don't offer the iPhone, and now it's about to get worse for them.
post #17 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by json View Post

Sorry to be nitpicking, but the GSM system cannot handle simultaneous data and voice-calls (with or without EDGE).

However, the UMTS system (i.e. AT&T:s version of 3G) can, whereas Verizons version cannot.

True, its UMTS (which is the blue 3G coverage area map) that allows for this. For all intents and purposes, it's the AT&T 3G network.

And it's quite the feature, IMO. I do this at least twice a week; looking up which band is playing where while talking to a friend to decide where to go out.

Quote:

Still, it's fun to see Apple join this "fight" and do it by pointing out the advantages with the iPhone and UMTS instead of badmouthing the competition.

Because you can't do voice and data simultaneously via EDGE (the white area in the blue 3G coverage area map), this would be a loser ad for Verizon. But you are right, Apple can run this kind of ad with near impunity. And it'll be a loser for Verizon to counter, because it'll only point out what their network can't do (because their red 3G coverage are map is largely the EVDO A network they bought when they took over Alltel).

Frankly, the back-and-forth is starting to take on a political campaign quality to it.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #18 of 220
AT&T had to leave it to Apple to make an ad that sells their network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Its an advert. They arent skirting any issue, they arent even acknowledging it. All companies and all products have pros and cons to suggest that a company should take its 30 seconds to say how its inferior to its competition is asinine.

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwBHqa6lZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioSntkD8lE

The one on two phones is better as they are now focusing on a single feature that they offer that Verizon doesnt but its still ineffective overall. Verizons ads are concise and to the point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #19 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Once Apple enters the battle with their own ads, it's game over for whoever is on the receiving end.

Oh did Apple's OS share jump above 50%- am I missing something here?

What happened to the MacBook Air ads? Was that a game killer too?
post #20 of 220
....now I bet they wished they hadn't.

Apple and AT&T have just started to tell the rest of the world what only a few techies knew: Verizon can not support simultaneous voice and data. OUCH.

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.
post #21 of 220
Quote:

Macs are not the same as hendhelds. Totally different price points, different markets, etc.

And you know this, Teck.

Until Verizon has the iPhone, or until people actually care about the Android, it's just another loser carrier. The device makes the carrier. Verizon has just about as much influence in the matter as Bill O'Reilly at a Million Man March.
post #22 of 220
Quote:

@ Jason
Verizon uses CDMA for voice and EVDO rev A for data which is also called CDMA2000. ATT and Tmobile are the big US GSM carriers. The 3G standard ATT uses is W-CDMA(UMTS). Technically the CDMA2000 standard also can support simultaneous voice and data but Verizon never upgrade their network to the Rev B standard and instead will roll out LTE for the higher data rates.
post #23 of 220
Quote:

Macs are not the same as hendhelds. Totally different price points, different markets, etc.

And you know this, Teck.

Until Verizon has the iPhone, or until people actually care about the Android, it's just another loser carrier. The device makes the carrier. Verizon has just about as much influence in the matter as Bill O'Reilly at a Million Man March.

Well I had no idea you were only talking iPhone mobile ads ( I take that back) but still you're basing the assumption on iPhone's record not the ad itself.
Verizon needs to stop its own hemmorahging and it seems to be effective based on the ad alone. We really won't tell until next quarter end.
post #24 of 220
Quote:

....now I bet they wished they hadn't.

Apple and AT&T have just started to tell the rest of the world what only a few techies knew: Verizon can not support simultaneous voice and data. OUCH.

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.

does it really matter if you can do both at the same time when your phone drops calls all the time?

personally, a phone is the most important feature when thinking about the mobile area. if it cant be that first and do it quite well, then its a moot point as to what else it can do.
post #25 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Pretty much a mute point though when your calls get dropped in a continuous basis and are able to connect to data via 2G. Phone is still suppose to be a phone first, so the major issues still reside with AT&T.

BTW. I live in one of those 3G areas that AT&T claims they have covered, and looking at my phone right now, it points directly to EDGE.
post #26 of 220
Today's MDN Take:

Verizon's wiseassery is going to backfire. The general public was unaware that Verizon's network was incapable of allowing simultaneous voice and data communication; now, with Apple in the equation, everyone and their mother will soon know.

Spot on.
post #27 of 220
Quote:

That's exactly their problem, point out what the iPhone can do rather than what the network can do. They better face it now before the iPhone is no longer just theirs.
Funny too how AT&T is misleading people about apps in their commercials. Anyone else catch that?
post #28 of 220
Quote:

Don't think their OS share jumped 50% but then. If I compare the stock price OTH Appl vs MSFT I can tell you which I would have wanted

post #29 of 220
Quote:

Today's MDN Take:

Verizon's wiseassery is going to backfire. The general public was unaware that Verizon's network was incapable of allowing simultaneous voice and data communication; now, with Apple in the equation, everyone and their mother will soon know.

Spot on.

How do you actually do both simulltaneously on that small screen anyway? just curious. Speaker phone- Is that what we're talking here?
post #30 of 220
So exactly why is the iPhone's lack of a physical keyboard a problem for business users? Because they're spastic? Because they can't handle anything that's even slightly new? What???
post #31 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

does it really matter if you can do both at the same time when your phone drops calls all the time?

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. I can dial into conference calls AND share data/presentations at the same time (check out Cisco's WEBEX App).

No wonder AT&T has the most smart phones.
post #32 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Just fix the network, AT&T. You might have coverage for where 97% of Americans live, but that doesn't do much when you keep dropping calls-- that is where Verizon really gets the ammo from!

True. I can get (2G) coverage where I live just fine. The problem is getting any kind of coverage where I travel. If you break down on the road, good luck finding a signal. Also, nice deflect showing their total network when Verizon showed 3G coverage.
post #33 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post

Don't think their OS share jumped 50% but then. If I compare the stock price OTH Appl vs MSFT I can tell you which I would have wanted
]

So you really think game over for Microsoft then? You really believe that? Should I tell my boss he needs to buy macs and switch unlike anybody else in the enterprise market?
post #34 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post

Compare something else.
post #35 of 220
Simultaneous voice/data is almost always unusable because with ATTs crappy 1900 Mhz network you almost never have signal.
post #36 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AT&T had to leave it to Apple to make an ad that sells their network.

Apple was pulled into this by Verizon purposefully using a phone very, very similar looking to the iPhone in its ads attacking AT&T's network. This links the phone to the bad network inappropriately, and is something that Apple would need to defend itself against. True, Apple picked AT&T after Verizon passed, and it's the iPhone's popularity that's causing over-use of the network, but the phone itself doesn't deserve to be attacked by Verizon in this case.

If this is how Verizon wants to treat Apple, then they better be ready for the response, because I'm sure Steve will not be happy.
post #37 of 220
Quote:

I use this feature all the time. Imagine if Apple went with Verizon? How pitiful would the iPhone be? For many business users, like myself, having voice and data access at the same time is essential to our jobs. I can dial into conference calls AND share data/presentations at the same time (check out Cisco's WEBEX App).

1) thanks for repeating yourself again. congrats you know how to copy and paste and then edit alittle bit

2) you still never answered my question.
post #38 of 220
Quote:

I would gladly trade loss of simultaneous capability for a RELIABLE STRONG SIGNAL that allows the phone to function as a phone.
post #39 of 220
I didnt know this was something special?
My G1 on Tmobile does it just fine, you know the email, text, web, maps all while im talking on the phone. Im pretty sure that the Droid can do it too, since it is also running Android OS.
Is that ALL ATT has?
post #40 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinkn00be View Post

I didnt know this was something special?
My G1 on Tmobile does it just fine, you know the email, text, web, maps all while im talking on the phone. Im pretty sure that the Droid can do it too, since it is also running Android OS.
Is that ALL ATT has?

tmobile is a GSM based phone so it can do this as long as you have UMTS coverage. sprint and vzw cannot do both due to a limitation of CDMA.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray