or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Is there a way to password protect a Time Machine external drive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a way to password protect a Time Machine external drive?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
I like the ease and functionality of Time Machine but want to password protect the drive in case it gets into the wrong hands.
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

I like the ease and functionality of Time Machine but want to password protect the drive in case it gets into the wrong hands.

You could put a sparse disk image on it and password protect that, then set the disk image as your TM backup disk.
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

You could put a sparse disk image on it and password protect that, then set the disk image as your TM backup disk.

Thanks. Great idea.

For some reason, when I go to Time Machine Preferences and click Change Disk, the sparse disk image does not appear in the list. Only the original external hard drive and "None".

Should I be seeing the password protect image or volume in that list?
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Thanks. Great idea.

For some reason, when I go to Time Machine Preferences and click Change Disk, the sparse disk image does not appear in the list. Only the original external hard drive and "None".

Should I be seeing the password protect image or volume in that list?

Did you mount the disk image? You'd need to double click the sparse disk image and enter the password. Obviously, this won't be as convenient as having a disk ready at all times.

FYI, I have not tried this, so I'm not even certain it would work but I don't know why it wouldn't.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Is there a way to password protect a Time Machine external drive?