or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple MacBook Pro prices slashed by up to $300, iMacs by $180
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple MacBook Pro prices slashed by up to $300, iMacs by $180

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
One Apple authorized reseller upped the ante overnight in the ongoing Black Friday Mac price war, slashing Mac notebook prices by up to $300 and iMac prices by up to $180.

Macs

Responding to steep discounts offered by MacMall, and later matched in part by Amazon.com, MacConnection on Thursday shaved another $50 off Apple's most popular Mac product lines, namely MacBook Pros and iMacs.

When combined with mail-in-rebates, the online reseller's latest deals offer $150 off the 2.26GHz 13" MacBook Pro, $200 off both the 2.53GHz 13" MacBook Pro and 2.53GHz 15" MacBook Pro, $250 off the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro, and $300 off both the 2.80GHz 15" MacBook Pro and 2.80GHz 17" MacBook Pro.

For iMacs, the reseller has cut $150 off both the 3.06GHz Dual 21" iMac and 3.06GHz Dual 21" ATI iMac, $170 off the 3.06GHz Dual 27" iMac, and $180 off the 2.66GHz Quad 27" iMac.

MacConnection has also bested all other resellers with a $849.99 price tag on Apple's new white 2.26GHz 13" MacBook, a savings of $149 off the suggested retail price. Meanwhile, rival MacMall continues to offer the best deals on MacBook Airs and Mac minis.

A detailed price comparison can be seen in AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide, below:



iPods

At the same time, several resellers have begun to shave down the cost of Apple's iPod line ahead of tomorrow's shopping bonanza. Current pricing on the players can be seen below in AppleInsider's new iPod Price Guide.



Both price guides will be continuously updated throughout the week.
post #2 of 33
Not a bad deal!
post #3 of 33
Is MacConnection a good on-line seller? Any buying experience from them?
post #4 of 33
Is MacMall the only online retailer (other than apple) offering the imac i7? Macmall is offering $100 off the i7. Any better deal out there? I know the imac i7 is a BTO option, but since it seems to be a popular model, perhaps Appleinsider can add comparison of that model too.

I want to buy the i7. But the fact that there are better deals out there on the i5 is making me wonder whether the $280 difference (buying i7 at Macmall vs i5 at Macconnection) is worth it.
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcomme View Post

Is MacConnection a good on-line seller? Any buying experience from them?

Yep, I buy from them, no sales tax for me in Kalifornia. Just received my iMac i5 quad. Shoulda waited another 2 weeks. ! got a 100 rebate, now it's 180.

my iMac..sweet, no issues with cracked glass or DOA. perfect thanxgiving for me...got it just this past Tuesday
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
Reply
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
Reply
post #6 of 33
AI should probably mention that they're getting a cut of the sales if you click the links.
post #7 of 33
Some fairly good deals. I am sure that some people may gripe and complain that Apple hasn't gone far enough in their discounting, but I appreciate any discounts they may offer.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Yep, I buy from them, no sales tax for me in Kalifornia. Just received my iMac i5 quad. Shoulda waited another 2 weeks. ! got a 100 rebate, now it's 180.

my iMac..sweet, no issues with cracked glass or DOA. perfect thanxgiving for me...got it just this past Tuesday

I'm in CA also... but I want the i7. This table doesn't even track the 2.8 iMacs

Oh well, I'll just probably buy one at full price from B&H - at least I won't pay tax, maybe I can get a bing cashback.
post #9 of 33
Not a game changer, but Best Buy's $999.99 price includes a $150 gift card at time of purchase.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Some fairly good deals. I am sure that some people may gripe and complain that Apple hasn't gone far enough in their discounting, but I appreciate any discounts they may offer.

Um,m I thought these discounts are being offered by the resellers not Apple.
It remains to be seen what the discounts at the Apple store for Black Friday are.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Um,m I thought these discounts are being offered by the resellers not Apple.
It remains to be seen what the discounts at the Apple store for Black Friday are.

I know you are holding out for the matte screen iMac, but would you have to pay NY state sales tax on anything else you purchased from the Apple store online? Apple has dinged me for TX state sales tax every time I have made a purchase from them, even from the iTunes Store. It has been explained to me in the past that if an online retailer has a "bricks and sticks" location in your state, they will collect sales tax on anything you order from them, even if the physical location in your area does not have it in stock.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

I know you are holding out for the matte screen iMac, but would you have to pay NY state sales tax on anything else you purchased from the Apple store online? Apple has dinged me for TX state sales tax every time I have made a purchase from them, even from the iTunes Store. It has been explained to me in the past that if an online retailer has a "bricks and sticks" location in your state, they will collect sales tax on anything you order from them, even if the physical location in your area does not have it in stock.

In NYS we have to pay tax on just about all online purchases. See in the early days of on-line shopping we bought from Amazon etc like mad and barely reported any of it on our tax returns. So Our Governor back then and state legislators realized how much Ny was losing and passed a law demanding that Amazon and other charge us directly for sales tax, This happened must be like 8 years ago. They bleed us up here.
Delaware has no tax whatsoever - except I believe a hotel lodging and property tax if you live there. So I have a friend who lives there and any big ticket item I will go there and but it which is what I will do when I get my iMac (by the way I will wait for its first update and see if it gets either matte and/or blu-ray then buy it). I'm getting a little tired of my white Intel 20 incher- it will be 4 years old this summer.
Happy Thanksgiving.

And you are correct if they have a "Physical store" they can charge the tax. So buy it from Amazon if you can- unless you're getting a custom build.
BTW Amazon has a black Friday deal on the 21inch iMac today!
post #13 of 33
Thats a great price on the monitor!

iPhone, iPod
Reply
iPhone, iPod
Reply
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Yep, I buy from them, no sales tax for me in Kalifornia. Just received my iMac i5 quad. Shoulda waited another 2 weeks. ! got a 100 rebate, now it's 180.

my iMac..sweet, no issues with cracked glass or DOA. perfect thanxgiving for me...got it just this past Tuesday


No offense intended, but I sure would like to hear from more than one person about how good MacConnection is. I definitely believe that you have had a good relationship with them but it would be nice if some more MacConnection customers would post their experiences.
post #15 of 33
Yesterday, I sent two mails to customer support of MacConnection about some questions for pricing, but no reply so far at all.

Today, I sent a mail to Amazon on 4:13PM, and got reply back on 4:20PM.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcomme View Post

Yesterday, I sent two mails to customer support of MacConnection about some questions for pricing, but no reply so far at all.

Today, I sent a mail to Amazon on 4:13PM, and got reply back on 4:20PM.

You would have a hard time finding anyone that can beat Amazon's customer service. I think I am going to order a 21.5 imac from them tomorrow. I almost clicked through a few minutes ago but I want to wait til tomorrow to decide which one I want. Plus it won't affect my shipping at this point.

If you order from Amazon, sign up for Prime. They have a free trial you can cancel at any time in the 30 days and still use it to get your iMac with 2 day shipping for free!
post #17 of 33
See what Apple is offering here:

http://store.apple.com/uk

Discounts on iMacs, MacBook Pros. No savings on mini or polycarbonate MacBook.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

See what Apple is offering here:

http://store.apple.com/uk

Discounts on iMacs, MacBook Pros. No savings on mini or polycarbonate MacBook.

Discounts?
Why does Apple even bother. Apple's not the profit Queen for nothing.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

No offense intended, but I sure would like to hear from more than one person about how good MacConnection is. I definitely believe that you have had a good relationship with them but it would be nice if some more MacConnection customers would post their experiences.

Although I have no personal experience with MacConnection, you'll be interested to know that the Better Business Bureau gives it an A+ reliability rating and says that it has been a BBB Accredited Business since the beginning of 1991. Verify this for yourself at www.bbb.org and search for MacConnection.

I do have personal experience making purchases from other BBB Accredited Businesses and have always been well satisfied.

With respect to the current iMac discounting, however, I may be better off overall dealing online with another supplier, because a preliminary calculation on the MacConnection website indicates that, based on my Zip Code, they're obliged to charge me about $100 sales tax. Some suppliers located in other parts of the country don't charge sales tax.

Also, the ultimate savings from several of these suppliers are based on rebates that you mail in following your purchase.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

No offense intended, but I sure would like to hear from more than one person about how good MacConnection is. I definitely believe that you have had a good relationship with them but it would be nice if some more MacConnection customers would post their experiences.

I've purchased items from MacConnection for over 20 years--computers, software, cables, routers, and more. I don't have experience with their customer service because I've never had a problem. In the pre-Web days, I ordered by phone and they were great to deal with, but since Internet ordering came along I use that exclusively.

These days I tend to buy more from Amazon because of Prime, the easy return policy, and the 3% credit card rebate, but I still buy from MacConnection on occasion, in fact as recently as August. Again, no problems, received what I ordered in a timely manner.

Hope this helps.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Although I have no personal experience with MacConnection, you'll be interested to know that the Better Business Bureau gives it an A+ reliability rating and says that it has been a BBB Accredited Business since the beginning of 1991. Verify this for yourself at www.bbb.org and search for MacConnection.

I do have personal experience making purchases from other BBB Accredited Businesses and have always been well satisfied.

With respect to the current iMac discounting, however, I may be better off overall dealing online with another supplier, because a preliminary calculation on the MacConnection website indicates that, based on my Zip Code, they're obliged to charge me about $100 sales tax. Some suppliers located in other parts of the country don't charge sales tax.

Also, the ultimate savings from several of these suppliers are based on rebates that you mail in following your purchase.

Thanks for the information. I just did a preliminary calculation with MacConnection and they want to hit me for $139 in sales tax. As far as Amazon is concerned, right now if you use Amazon Prime you get free 2-day shipping and 1-day costs only $3.99. That's a way better in the long run because of shipping cost with other vendors.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post

I've purchased items from MacConnection for over 20 years--computers, software, cables, routers, and more. I don't have experience with their customer service because I've never had a problem. In the pre-Web days, I ordered by phone and they were great to deal with, but since Internet ordering came along I use that exclusively.

These days I tend to buy more from Amazon because of Prime, the easy return policy, and the 3% credit card rebate, but I still buy from MacConnection on occasion, in fact as recently as August. Again, no problems, received what I ordered in a timely manner.

Hope this helps.

It does help but sales tax is a big issue I'm trying to avoid.
post #23 of 33
Cranky,

Where are you located? Why does MacConnection want to charge you the sales tax even it is an on-line order?
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Thanks for the information. I just did a preliminary calculation with MacConnection and they want to hit me for $139 in sales tax. As far as Amazon is concerned, right now if you use Amazon Prime you get free 2-day shipping and 1-day costs only $3.99. That's a way better in the long run because of shipping cost with other vendors.

It can't hurt to give them a call Friday about the sales tax. What the website says and what they tell you on the phone may be two different things.

As to xcomme's point - some states have reciprocal sales tax collection agreements that apply to online and phone sales, even if though the business is a mail order house with no physical store locations where you take receipt of the merchandise. Other states don't have reciprocal agreements, so you don't see the seller in that state collecting tax from you. If you buy online or by phone from a seller that has retail stores in your state (i.e. Macy's or Best Buy), they have to charge you sales tax or run the risk of your state's revenue department penalizing them.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcomme View Post

Cranky,

Where are you located? Why does MacConnection want to charge you the sales tax even it is an on-line order?

Cypress, Texas is where I live. As to why MacConnection wants to charge sales tax, I can't answer. The Apple Store online also charges sales tax and so does iTunes, but I figured that was because there is a physical Apple store close to where I live.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

It can't hurt to give them a call Friday about the sales tax. What the website says and what they tell you on the phone may be two different things.

That's a good idea! I will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #27 of 33
Not only physical store, if an on-line company also has service center, warehouse in that particular state, sales tax will be charged.

So it means MacConnection has some operation in Texas?

Does it charge sales tax for Californian?
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Cypress, Texas is where I live. As to why MacConnection wants to charge sales tax, I can't answer. The Apple Store online also charges sales tax and so does iTunes, but I figured that was because there is a physical Apple store close to where I live.

Hmm. Their website says, "We collect sales and use taxes for sales shipped to the State(s) of Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Additional states may be added without notice."

On another page it says they have "eight locations in addition to [the] Wilmington, OH configuration lab and distribution center: Keene, Portsmouth, and Merrimack, NH; Marlborough, MA; Addison, TX; Rockville, MD; Boca Raton, FL and; Dakota Dunes, SD."

That doesn't cover all of the states for which they collect taxes, however. I don't know why the others are on the list. It would appear though, unfortunately, that Texas has to be one of them.
post #29 of 33
I too am looking for a great deal on a Core i7 iMac. The best base price I've found is at MacMall:
http://www.macmall.com/n/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.224 (EDIT: See below for much better price)

$2094, but shipping is $42, AppleCare is $169, and they charge $195 sales tax to me in CA, for a total of $2612, which is really expensive looking...

If anyone finds any good deals on a Core i7 iMac, please post them!

AppleInsider, would be great if you tracked shipping and tax on your price guide!

P.S. I seem to recall seeing some sales on AppleCare (perhaps from Small Dog?). Is it OK to purchase the AppleCare separately from the computer?


EDIT: Just checked Small Dog:
Core i7 iMac, AppleCare, an extra 1TB HD (external, I'm guessing?), Free Shipping, and NO SALES TAX (except Vermont, sorry!): $2389 - http://www.smalldog.com/wag19664/


Gunna wait until the afternoon to see if anything better shows up, but this looks like what I'll be getting, along with everyone else that wants a Core i7 iMac.

EDIT 2: Apple's updating their site now, might end up cheaper from them, but doubt it, due to sales tax.

EDIT 3: Yeah, Apple's got a better discount (ignoring the free HD, anyway), but the sales tax makes it total up to more.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post

Hmm. Their website says, "We collect sales and use taxes for sales shipped to the State(s) of Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Additional states may be added without notice."

On another page it says they have "eight locations in addition to [the] Wilmington, OH configuration lab and distribution center: Keene, Portsmouth, and Merrimack, NH; Marlborough, MA; Addison, TX; Rockville, MD; Boca Raton, FL and; Dakota Dunes, SD."

That doesn't cover all of the states for which they collect taxes, however. I don't know why the others are on the list. It would appear though, unfortunately, that Texas has to be one of them.

Well, you got me. I should have read the small print. Thank goodness MacConnection isn't the only online retailer put there.
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

In NYS we have to pay tax on just about all online purchases. See in the early days of on-line shopping we bought from Amazon etc like mad and barely reported any of it on our tax returns. So Our Governor back then and state legislators realized how much Ny was losing and passed a law demanding that Amazon and other charge us directly for sales tax, This happened must be like 8 years ago. They bleed us up here.
Delaware has no tax whatsoever - except I believe a hotel lodging and property tax if you live there. So I have a friend who lives there and any big ticket item I will go there and but it which is what I will do when I get my iMac (by the way I will wait for its first update and see if it gets either matte and/or blu-ray then buy it). I'm getting a little tired of my white Intel 20 incher- it will be 4 years old this summer.
Happy Thanksgiving.

And you are correct if they have a "Physical store" they can charge the tax. So buy it from Amazon if you can- unless you're getting a custom build.
BTW Amazon has a black Friday deal on the 21inch iMac today!

sucks to be us sometimes
my material life is %8 more than the whole fraking world
i only special order with an education discount from apple online <<they barely check >>
you get a special build just for you with the latest upgraded components
and the the best workers do special high end orders

As opposed to the drone droid factory line of 3200 mbp's a minute shipped too some mega mega nameless TEXAS warehouse to sit for months and then shipped again to a store .

most apple referbs are from older generations or even unsold older generations models posing as refurbs << they open the box upgrade the OS and close the box >>
IF YOUR buying a refurb you must make mulitple calls and have cust service dudes email you with EXACT SPEC.S
Sometimes older gen are more money w/ less power than a newer model for less money
anyway the cust service people with give you great refub buying advice .

JEFF the moderator here helped me andI called 20 x and went online for days
and in the end penny for penny A new mbp3.02GHz 15in7200rpm500g snowy cost 18 cents a day more than a similular refurb over a11.3 yr time frame yrs peridot
duh
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

It does help but sales tax is a big issue I'm trying to avoid.

well some one has to pay for all those childrens hospitals ?? just pay the yax take a ed discount and move on
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcomme View Post

Not only physical store, if an on-line company also has service center, warehouse in that particular state, sales tax will be charged.

So it means MacConnection has some operation in Texas?

Does it charge sales tax for Californian?

Personally, Id like to see the laws on this change. Id like to a state sales tax end in favour of a nationwide tax on online orders in general with tax breaks for retail shops and shoppers to encourage more local purchases. The online tax revenue can then be distributed to states based on the percentage of sales. This would encouraging local sales by giving evening out the playing field for retailers slightly while also increasing state sales tax revenue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple MacBook Pro prices slashed by up to $300, iMacs by $180