or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Future Chips: Mini Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Future Chips: Mini Question

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
When will Apple place an i7 (or something as good) chip in the Mini?
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

When will Apple place an i7 (or something as good) chip in the Mini?

i7 never. i3/i5 when there's mobile chips and chipsets cheap enough to replace the current core 2 duos. That might happen with Arrandale.
post #3 of 16
First half of next year. They could do it in January-ish or February, but Apple is never quick to update products, so it's a pretty big range.

Frankly, I'd buy the current one if you want a mini. Odds are good they're going back to Intel GMA graphics along with the Arrandale processors. At least, I don't see Apple putting a discrete GPU in the mini or white Macbook.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

When will Apple place an i7 (or something as good) chip in the Mini?

Obviously there will be something that powerful one day, but not until heat/power comes down. A year away, perhaps?
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

First half of next year. They could do it in January-ish or February, but Apple is never quick to update products, so it's a pretty big range.

Frankly, I'd buy the current one if you want a mini. Odds are good they're going back to Intel GMA graphics along with the Arrandale processors. At least, I don't see Apple putting a discrete GPU in the mini or white Macbook.

On the flip side, would they want to take a potentially large step backwards?
post #6 of 16
Arrandale is the likely candidate BUT there are other possibilities.

The interesting rumor I've heard is that Arrandale could come with or without the built in GPU. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that. However there is an apparent leak of an Intel document highlighting what is coming though I have seen it yet. In any event I wouldn't jump the gun on this one as the performance gain might be more than some expect. The reality is Apple has a lot of room for a mini performance boost.

The general advice is to buy a PC when you really need it. Generally a good idea but in this case there is reason to hold off if you can. That due to the potential for a huge performance increase. I say potential because we all know Apple, they could wait a year for a respin. All one has to do is look at the new iMacs and the improvements there.


Dave
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Arrandale is the likely candidate BUT there are other possibilities.

The interesting rumor I've heard is that Arrandale could come with or without the built in GPU. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that. However there is an apparent leak of an Intel document highlighting what is coming though I have seen it yet. In any event I wouldn't jump the gun on this one as the performance gain might be more than some expect. The reality is Apple has a lot of room for a mini performance boost.

The general advice is to buy a PC when you really need it. Generally a good idea but in this case there is reason to hold off if you can. That due to the potential for a huge performance increase. I say potential because we all know Apple, they could wait a year for a respin. All one has to do is look at the new iMacs and the improvements there.


Dave

Thanks all for your comments.
I think I'll see how things look after the Christmas bills are paid.
How knows maybe Apple might upgrade the Mini in late Jan or Feb and I might have a few $$ to spend.

Gene
post #8 of 16
Arrandale is the obvious choice for the next speedbump. It could happen at any time in 2010, but Q1 would surprise me.

I would not be surprised to see Minis with 4GB of RAM soldered to the motherboard and no SO-DIMM slots. Memory has finally become cheap enough that an abundance can be provided so that upgrading is no longer important. A year from now, I expect that the Mac Mini, MacBook, and MacBook Air will all ship with 4GB that cannot be upgraded and the iMac, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro will continue to have DIMMs and SO-DIMMs. There is a lot of money to be saved with a simpler integrated design.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Arrandale is the obvious choice for the next speedbump. It could happen at any time in 2010, but Q1 would surprise me.

I would not be surprised to see Minis with 4GB of RAM soldered to the motherboard and no SO-DIMM slots. Memory has finally become cheap enough that an abundance can be provided so that upgrading is no longer important. A year from now, I expect that the Mac Mini, MacBook, and MacBook Air will all ship with 4GB that cannot be upgraded and the iMac, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro will continue to have DIMMs and SO-DIMMs. There is a lot of money to be saved with a simpler integrated design.

4GB is too small.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

4GB is too small.

8GB would cost half as much as the machine.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

8GB would cost half as much as the machine.

Not within the useful lifetime of the machine. Soldering memory into the machine is simply bad.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Soldering memory into the machine is simply bad.

Agreed!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

Thanks all for your comments.
I think I'll see how things look after the Christmas bills are paid.

Yes hopefully by that time a Min respin will have arrived. If the rumors about Arrandale in early Jan. 2010 are true, then something from Apple ought to show up soon after. That is if they want to put Arrandale in the machine. Apple could always discontinue the Mini and try to rationalize a different line up.
Quote:
How knows maybe Apple might upgrade the Mini in late Jan or Feb and I might have a few $$ to spend.

Gene

That would be the easy appraoch for Apple. That is another Mini respin. However the Mini has been arround a long time they may have other plans revolving arround another platform. I've always liked the Mini but it is hardly the best that Apple can do. So eventually something else will replace it in the same way that the LCD iMacs replaced the CRT iMacs.


Dave


Dave
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

When will Apple place an i7 (or something as good) chip in the Mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

i7 never. i3/i5 when there's mobile chips and chipsets cheap enough to replace the current core 2 duos. That might happen with Arrandale.

Core i3 or Core i5 Arrandale in Mac mini by July 2010, definitely by December 2010.

Only problem is the GPU because if Apple takes the Arrandale as is it comes with a GPU on the chip as well, which will be less powerful, not OpenCL compliant(AFAIK???), and all-round a poorer choice than the 9400M in the current Mac mini. (see my thread here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=105315 )
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Not within the useful lifetime of the machine. Soldering memory into the machine is simply bad.

Soldered in chips are not always a bad idea. For reliability soldered in RAM can be a positive thing as it is more rugged and works well in things like automotive PCs and the like. It is also far cheaper to produce the PC board this way. Also soldered in RAM doesn't exclude a socket for expansion either. In any event don't dismiss soldered in RAM it has it's place.

In any event an Arrandale based mini with 4GB of RAM would sell like hot cakes. Ifvand it is a big IF the machine has a decent GPU. Right now that GPU means more than RAM
anyways.

Dave
post #16 of 16
This is impossible
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Future Chips: Mini Question