or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Partial deletion of Time Machine files

Partial deletion of Time Machine files

post #1 of 6
Hey gang,

I migrated to a new MBP recently and would like to remove the TM files(from the old MB) from my TM drive. Dragging to the trash did not work(I'll never do that again!).
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve B.
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got. -Sheryl Crow
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

Hey gang,

I migrated to a new MBP recently and would like to remove the TM files(from the old MB) from my TM drive. Dragging to the trash did not work(I'll never do that again!).

Why not, Steve?
post #3 of 6

Do it Mac Way!

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #4 of 6
Turn Time Machine off. Use Disk Utility to format drive
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Why not, Steve?

Thanks, Rokcet. 'Cause when I went to empty the trash I got a error message(-xxxx) and nothing happened.I'm still working on it. I got some files deleted via Terminal.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

Thanks, Rokcet. 'Cause when I went to empty the trash I got a error message(-xxxx) and nothing happened.I'm still working on it. I got some files deleted via Terminal.

Time Machine stores backed up data in special files called "Sparse Bundles." There can literally be thousands of these files. The actual data files are not stored directly to the file system.

If you really want to blow everything (and I mean everything) away, simply shutdown Time Machine, do the Disk Utility "Erase", and restart Time Machine as suggested. "Hand deleting" the files is likely to miss hidden files and may corrupt future Time Machine backups.

If you have a Time Capsule with which you are using Time Machine, you can open Airport Utility, select your Time Capsule, click the Disks icon at the top, and click "Erase...".

Jeff
Data Recovery Technician
www.MacintoshDataRecovery.com - Specialized Mac Data Recovery

*Use the information provided in this post at your own risk without any warranties, expressed or implied.
Data Recovery Technician
www.MacintoshDataRecovery.com - Specialized Mac Data Recovery

*Use the information provided in this post at your own risk without any warranties, expressed or implied.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Partial deletion of Time Machine files