or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Phone reports continue; Apple rejects Motorola Droid app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Phone reports continue; Apple rejects Motorola Droid app - Page 2

post #41 of 89
And since we are all into theoretical scenarios,

I think if the US Airforce wrote an app to promote themselves, Appstore would reject it because of the recent purchase of 2200 PS3 which are in direct competition with Apple TV and would result in Steve Jobs in Guantanamo bay where his iphone 3g is useless..cuz theres no map for that
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I doubt it will come back to haunt Apple. Look around here, Apple is a mainstay. It does show how Apple operates, yet again... but if you look at the increasing numbers, it hasn't had any negative affect on them, oddly.

Have you sold all your Apple devices yet?

How could it have a negative affect already- it just happened?

No but I'm was almost ready to mail my Apple TV off to the Land of the Misfit Toys but I actually started enjoying it this weekend with its new GUI. It only took 3 years.
post #43 of 89
Droid marketing app was submitted as a dumb joke. Just to make news. Well it did, and was rightfully rejected. LOL, fools ......
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How could it have a negative affect already- it just happened?

Remember the Google Voice App? That caused a stir. This isn't the first of this kind of thing. Its been happening a while, with no negative impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No but I'm was almost ready to mail my Apple TV off to the Land of the Misfit Toys but I actually started enjoying it this weekend with its new GUI. It only took 3 years.

I'm sorry, but until you get rid of all your Apple devices, then your complaints here are too hypocritical. If you are so unhappy with Apple as you seem, then don't spend your money there. Apple products tend to have a decent re-sell value. Replace your ATV with a home built ION machine and run XBMC on it. Heck, for roughly 150 more bucks, you can add your blueray and TV tuner! (or at least put XBMC on your ATV for free!)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I'm sorry, but until you get rid of all your Apple devices, then your complaints here are too hypocritical. If you are so unhappy with Apple as you seem, then don't spend your money there.

Remember his ALL my friends with iPhones can NEVER make a call due to AT&T just to have to him later get an iPhone because it got a video camera yet we dont seem to be hearing about ALL his friends with iPhones that can NEVER make a call anymore. Funny how that works. \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember his “ALL my friends with iPhones can NEVER make a call due to AT&T” just to have to him later get an iPhone because it got a video camera yet we don’t seem to be hearing about ALL his friends with iPhones that can NEVER make a call anymore. Funny how that works. \

Indeed. I have my moments too though, like the most of us. This one has a clear answer to his "troubles".

As for that quote, I just read in Consumer Reports about cell companies. AT&T ranked lowest in most markets for consumer satisfaction. However, the iPhone was ranked the highest. Same with Apple computers. (Doesn't mean I'll ever get them again!)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Remember the Google Voice App? That caused a stir. This isn't the first of this kind of thing. Its been happening a while, with no negative impact.

The average person really don't about what is rejected by Apple as long as he/she finds what he/she wants.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but until you get rid of all your Apple devices, then your complaints here are too hypocritical. If you are so unhappy with Apple as you seem, then don't spend your money there. Apple products tend to have a decent re-sell value. Replace your ATV with a home built ION machine and run XBMC on it. Heck, for roughly 150 more bucks, you can add your blueray and TV tuner! (or at least put XBMC on your ATV for free!)

In teckstud logic you are a fanboy/cool-aid drinker if you buy Apple products because they fit your needs. You are a normal person if you don't like Apple products but keep buying them anyway. Like whining about how crappy is AT&T and the iPhone and then go ahead and buy one, bash the Magic Mouse and complain that Apple didn't give enough discount for you to buy it, whine about AppleTV and not selling it.. etc
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, it was reported that the current Android is not the "real" Android.

Is that better or worse to developers than the Apple App Store approval process?
post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

As for that quote, I just read in Consumer Reports about cell companies. AT&T ranked lowest in most markets for consumer satisfaction. However, the iPhone was ranked the highest. Same with Apple computers. (Doesn't mean I'll ever get them again!)

That will likely remain the same for sometime. Itll take awhile for AT&T to make the complete move to 850MHz, get better coverage (which is more difficult than people think) and get on top fo the data usage issue brought on by the iPhone.

No one here has denied that AT&T sucks in many ways, but that doesnt mean that AT&T isnt a viable mobile operator for ones needs, either. I thought Id never go back Cingular (now called AT&T) but decided that I wanted the iPhone so Id give them a try. I used my 30 day trial period to test the crap out of their network. I was expecting something a lot worse than I got.

PS: I went to Walnut Creek, CA for Thanksgiving. What a shitty area for AT&T. You are lucky to get any service in certain areas and can see it flip from 3G to EDGE to GPRS to No Service and back all while standing in the same place. If I lived here I would either have an iPhone on T-Mobile, or a different phone on a different carrier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

In teckstud logic you are a fanboy/cool-aid drinker if you buy Apple products because they fit your needs. You are a normal person if you don't like Apple products but keep buying them anyway. Like whining about how crappy is AT&T and the iPhone and then go ahead and buy one, bash the Magic Mouse and complain that Apple didn't give enough discount for you to buy it, whine about AppleTV and not selling it.. etc

Dont forget that Teckstudian Logic also states that if you complain that the product revision isnt good enough (ie: camera resolution or flash capacity) that you are not only making a prediction of what Apple will introduce at a later date but are also directly responsible for the inevitable upgrade due to your complaining.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 89
I'm amazed that people here are actually surprised that Apple rejected this 'iDroid' application, or that they would reject advertisements for competing products. Or that they would be under any sort of obligation, moral or otherwise, and for any reason at all, to do so.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everytime a Windows user needs to update Apple's iTunes program for upteenth time they get an default Safari download (basically an advertisement) that they have to disengage- OK? Let's see the reaction from the fanbots if Microsoft rejects that mumbo-combo.

Your analogy has (at least) two signifiant flaws:

1) Even if the user was compelled to down load Safari (which is a dubious claim), Apple is not selling it. Safari provides a useful FREE tool and it no way requires the user to buy anything to use it, nor does it require the user to switch platforms to use. So it's not really a competitor to the Windows OS.

2) More importantly, Apple is it no way asking Microsoft to host and distribute Safari to the end user. It costs MS not a penny. It's not as if Apple asks MS to provide Safari via Windows Update as a security patch for IE.
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

It should be rejected whether an ad or not simply for being lame.

I see competeing adds in the banners of free apps, it was more likely rejected because all it is is an add for droid. Apple has every right to decide they won't allow people to use their store as a billboard service.
post #53 of 89
It's like Walmart advertising Target...
Or seeing Ads for Xbox 360 on the PSN store....

That is JUST not going to happen.

THEY KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN...
They just want to use it as ammunition against Apple....

"SEE?! Look how closed off they are with their development community."
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How could it have a negative affect already- it just happened?

No but I'm was almost ready to mail my Apple TV off to the Land of the Misfit Toys but I actually started enjoying it this weekend with its new GUI. It only took 3 years.

No app rejection to date, that is, NO APP REJECTION TO DATE, has had any kind of significant effect on Apple. Not even Google Voice.

Rejecting a Droid marketing app is at most, something rather amusing, and at worst, something everyone outside these fansites will barely notice. LOL, assuming anyone really cares about the Droid.
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It does end next year, and it ends this year. Why that concept is so hard for you grasp is beyond me, but I guess 10 is big number to some people. If you lost a couple digits in special ed wood shop you might want to consider using.

Favorite TeckStud comments (paraphrased): I dont know what year the calendar started because I wasnt there and neither we you so you cant say it started at year one when it could have started with year zero", Bill Gates invented the two-button mouse and Newton didnt discover gravity, he invented gravity.

I've never said any of those three "comments"-paraphrased or otherwise. Prove it.
Why do I bother? Really.
post #56 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember his “ALL my friends with iPhones can NEVER make a call due to AT&T” just to have to him later get an iPhone because it got a video camera yet we don’t seem to be hearing about ALL his friends with iPhones that can NEVER make a call anymore. Funny how that works. \

AT&T upgraded their crap network this past August in NewYork, New Jersey and Long Island. Where've you been? I'm sorry-don't answer that- it may be too painful.
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one here has denied that AT&T sucks in many ways,

YES, YOU HAVE- FOR YEARS!

And FYI- the new Apple Tv GUI is so nice now that my movies, my music, my photos are all at the top of the list- unlike what you said in that I would never get (and which I championed from day one I may add) that as it wasn't the priority of the AppleTV's objective.
Funny, isn't it, how everything I ask for comes to fruition in spite of your nonsensical dismissals.
post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

As for that quote, I just read in Consumer Reports about cell companies. AT&T ranked lowest in most markets for consumer satisfaction. However, the iPhone was ranked the highest. Same with Apple computers. (Doesn't mean I'll ever get them again!)

I've been telling you that AT&T ranks at the bottom for years. Don't you LISTEN?
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Your analogy has (at least) two signifiant flaws:

1) Even if the user was compelled to down load Safari (which is a dubious claim), Apple is not selling it. Safari provides a useful FREE tool and it no way requires the user to buy anything to use it, nor does it require the user to switch platforms to use. So it's not really a competitor to the Windows OS.

2) More importantly, Apple is it no way asking Microsoft to host and distribute Safari to the end user. It costs MS not a penny. It's not as if Apple asks MS to provide Safari via Windows Update as a security patch for IE.

WHat makes you so wrong is you think the Droid app wouldn't be offered for free? Apple therefor wouldn't be selling it.
Your logic fails.
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It does end next year, and it ends this year. Why that concept is so hard for you grasp is beyond me, but I guess 10 is big number to some people. If you lost a couple digits in special ed wood shop you might want to consider using.
:

Oh so now you've changed your answer whereas before I was purely wrong as were all American journalists. I'm so glad you've changed your mind. There may still be hope for you yet to obtain common sense.
By the way where's your sidekick been - the mouse?
post #61 of 89
None of these claims mean anything. Apple does not have a monopoly. They can do what they choose until they have one, and I don't foresee that any time in the near future.

This is kind of like telling BMW that they have to allow Mercedes advertisements to be plastered on the window or a Mercedes Sales Pitch CD must be put into every new BMW. Why? Because BMW doesn't have a monopoly. There are plenty of other choices out there. The same is true for personal computers.

Apple has no legal reason to allow it. Don't like it? Don't buy an Apple product.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You might want to clarify that you mean Windows OS PC desktop or he’ll likely come back saying that XBox is built off of Windows which won’t make any sense in the context of his argument but it require a couple pages of schooling from various posters and him changing his stance several times before he finally wets himself and moves onto to another thread to troll.

While the article didn't mention teckstud, I feel obligated to chime in on the main discussion in this thread.
I feel his posts balance out people like Quadra 610. Mixed in amongst intelligent posts, they make these threads no less enjoyable in my opinion. A bunch of one-sided, ass kissing Apple fans can be found elsewhere, and it's a complete bore to read. If you'd like you can just go over to macrumors and find out for----oh wait.
I stumbled on your post about their entire user base sucking something similar to a hairy coin purse, and your waving the bird as you walked away from their forum. The polar opposites here are few and far between; by my count I have about four people I'd choose to ignore entirely if it weren't for their sometimes humorous banter. Sometimes is, in their respective cases, better than never.
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AT&T upgraded their crap network this past August in NewYork, New Jersey and Long Island. Where've you been? I'm sorry-don't answer that- it may be too painful.

Which is months AFTER you bought your iPhone. Where are all these friends that ALL have iPhones and NEVER can make a call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YES, YOU HAVE- FOR YEARS!

Ive never defended AT&Ts cons, but have defended AT&T for their pros while you blindly bashing their entire network while saying that Apple should come to Verizon and will come to Verizon shortly because its the bestest network EVER! Each mobile network in the US has their problems but your ability to have an objective balanced view of a company instead of an all love or all hate relationshiplike you have with baseball teamsisnt something youre capable of.

Quote:
And FYI- the new Apple Tv GUI is so nice now that my movies, my music, my photos are all at the top of the list- unlike what you said in that I would never get (and which I championed from day one I may add) that as it wasn't the priority of the AppleTV's objective.
Funny, isn't it, how everything I ask for comes to fruition in spite of your nonsensical dismissals.

I asked for these feature when they changed in v2.0. You agreed with me but you took it to a whole notha level by constantly complaining about it. For some reason you think whining on AI is a productive use of your time. Me and others expressed our dislike with the change in productive ways. Many of us also have been using Boxee for some time to add functionality to the device that Apple didnt include. Id ask if you understand the difference but weve been down that road more than a few times.

What else have you asked for? Oh yeah, WAH WAH the camera needs to be better. WAH WAH they need to add a video camera. Amazing that technology evolves forward. Youre crying that the Touch didnt get a camera; wed all like you to STFU about it; and next year youll claim that you were the one who got the camera in next years Touch. So odd that you cant how you affect nothing with a multi-billion dollar company by your internet forum tantrums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WHat makes you so wrong is you think the Droid app wouldn't be offered for free? Apple therefor wouldn't be selling it.
Your logic fails.

It goes through Apples App Store so they are selling it, this is regardless of the price. You could argue that Apples closed store policy is a problem but that would require actually thinking about the issue instead of just nonsensically complaining about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh so now you've changed your answer whereas before I was purely wrong as were all American journalists. I'm so glad you've changed your mind. There may still be hope for you yet to obtain common sense.
By the way where's your sidekick been - the mouse?

Anonymous made an astute observation for which you claimed was undeniably wrong. You were the only one not to understand the definition of a decade. My very first post on the subject to anonymouse clearly stated, I count 2010 as the start of a new decade. in regard to the context of the article, but you would have had to actually read a thread and grasp where you are clearly wrong in your limited comprehension.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everytime a Windows user needs to update Apple's iTunes program for upteenth time they get an default Safari download (basically an advertisement) that they have to disengage- OK? Let's see the reaction from the fanbots if Microsoft rejects that mumbo-combo.

How exactly would MS reject it? MS is not distributing it or promoting it.
Maybe Apple should sue MS for not selling iPhone apps in the Zune store?
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes I do - what is your point?

My point is it doesn't do it, so there.
post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right- we need a new improved longer fart app.

Essential I would say.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg View Post

How do you figure? Apple is under no obligation to provide marketing for a competing product on their own products. The app store is Apple's and they are free to do with it as they wish.

Well, the problem is that once Apple started filtering out competition it became hard to justify what's ok and what's not ok. I mean is it ok to allow a movie countdown app that keeps you hyped til the movie release? And then the movie is released only on Blu-Ray. Is this then an app designed to get people to use a competing format over Apple's iTunes store?
Should the iPhone app "Windows Vista: The Missing Manual" be rejected because it informs people about a competing OS?
Should "Forum Nokia Podcasts" be shut out of iTunes distribution because it informs the users about what's going on in Nokia development?
Should a Microsoft Office app be rejected because Apple is developing its own iWork suite?
Should a browser be rejected because Apple is already providing a browser?

It doesn't smell good, filtering out competition...
Since the iPhone is a REAL computing platform, and not just a toy, I think Apple should be thinking about opening up, like it is on any computing platform. I mean, how bad could this iDroid be for Apple? The people who'd buy it are most likely either techies that know everything about Droid already, or those who don't really like their iPhone and consider a new phone. Nothing wrong with either. It wasn't a "Let's All Hate The iPhone" app or a virus or anything.

... sooner or later Apple will probably get sued over anticompetitive behaviour... if it isn't already...
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

...This is kind of like telling BMW that they have to allow Mercedes advertisements to be plastered on the window....

Once you bought your BMW though, it is up to you to have an "I love Mercedes" sticker on the window. That's the difference. You can just do that. With iPhone you can't, since it's a locked system. (Well, a Droid sticker is possible, hehe... but not a Droid app)
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WHat makes you so wrong is you think the Droid app wouldn't be offered for free? Apple therefor wouldn't be selling it.
Your logic fails.

But Apple will be hosting the app, and paying the bandwidth cost, you blinkered fool!
post #70 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

It's not blocking advertising; Droid ads can still pop up on websites or on TVU or whatever. If Apple asked MS to ship Windows with a bunch of "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ads on the desktop, they would (quite fairly) tell them to go shove it.

Not quite the same example. If Apple released the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" add application for Windows and the next release of Service Pack XXX would modify Windows in the way it won't run this application (substitute this hypothetical application by iTunes or Safari to get the real example) in the next version of Windows, I am pretty sure that Apple and others would complain.

If Apple opens iPhone to other application source than AppStore, no one would make a story out of it.
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How exactly would MS reject it? MS is not distributing it or promoting it.
Maybe Apple should sue MS for not selling iPhone apps in the Zune store?

What if the next version of Windows is altered that iTunes or Safari won't run on it ? It's theirs OS after all, isn't it ? They can do whatever they want with it, can't they ? Including refusing to run any application named "iTunes" or "Safari". This is pretty absurd, but only to show how absurd the closed market for iPhone is as well.
post #72 of 89
What would happen is that Apple would sell a whole lot more Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

What if the next version of Windows is altered that iTunes or Safari won't run on it ? It's theirs OS after all, isn't it ? They can do whatever they want with it, can't they ? Including refusing to run any application named "iTunes" or "Safari". This is pretty absurd, but only to show how absurd the closed market for iPhone is as well.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I'm amazed that people here are actually surprised that Apple rejected this 'iDroid' application, or that they would reject advertisements for competing products. Or that they would be under any sort of obligation, moral or otherwise, and for any reason at all, to do so.

Agreed. The point is that no one needs to actually give a damn about it. And in the real world, outside the Mac fansite bubble, no one does. The interesting thing about our little corner of the internet (MR included and whatever other Apple site) is that we actually create problems where there aren't any.

post #74 of 89
there is a huge difference between an app or software that actually has some sort of function (productive or not) than one that is just simply an advertisement. Now if Motorola actually had the app. offer something (however stupid or pointless they want) you would have a point, otherwise this was just a scam to get some publicity.
post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No app rejection to date, that is, NO APP REJECTION TO DATE, has had any kind of significant effect on Apple. Not even Google Voice.

Rejecting a Droid marketing app is at most, something rather amusing, and at worst, something everyone outside these fansites will barely notice. LOL, assuming anyone really cares about the Droid.

With 250,000 sales on a single carrier in a single country in about a week (and counting) and accounts for 25% of all Android net traffic use worldwide, I'd say plenty of people care about the Droid.

Please take the Apple blinders off. The Droid is the phone that finally put Android on the map as a significant competitor.

But back on topic. I find Apple's rejection amusing and not surprising. But like others have said, discussing it is just free press for Droid...
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What would happen is that Apple would sell a whole lot more Macs.

Would you say so ? I don't know. Bet most people who wants a Mac and can afford it pretty much owes one. There are reasons for the majority that they stick to Windows and I would say availability of either iTunes or Safari is not really that big deal for them. However, nonexistence of iTunes for Windows might be quite a problem for further adoption of iPhone.

But definitely it is not to benefit of the end user...if any application is excluded, it just limits your choices. iPhone needs to be open. Joe Hewitt is right.
post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Would you say so ? I don't know. Bet most people who wants a Mac and can afford it pretty much owes one.

Did this just happen, because each quarter since the Intel transition Apple has been reporting that about 50% of all Mac sales are to switchers. Doesnt sound like theyve hit a wall to me. Some proof or even a well thought out hypothesis would be nice.

Quote:
There are reasons for the majority that they stick to Windows and I would say availability of either iTunes or Safari is not really that big deal for them.

Of course not because iTunes and Safari is also on Mac OS X. There are certainly reasons why MS Windows monopoly is not in jeopardy but it has nothing to do with your hatred for Apple and everything to do with MS choice to only sell the OS which it licenses to other vendors. Mac OS X can never be that big. Even if they took with HPs spot as #1 theyd still only have ¼ the OS marketshare of Windows. I really dont understand how their different business models are so often compared as if they are somehow fighting for the same thing.

Quote:
However, nonexistence of iTunes for Windows might be quite a problem for further adoption of iPhone.

How exactly would this happen?

Quote:
But definitely it is not to benefit of the end user...if any application is excluded, it just limits your choices. iPhone needs to be open. Joe Hewitt is right.

So an app that grabs your contacts, sends it back to a server and uses it for SPAM benefits a user. An app that loads a runtime and waits for specific sites to be accessed so it can grab personal information like CC numbers and tax IDs benefit the user. An app that runs in the background without the users knowledge running down the battery in hours is a great choice for the average user. Maybe you want to revise your statement about any excluded app limits a users choice.

PS: You may also want to limit your comments as to how company be should run to the ones that arent the most profitable handset markets in the world, the ones that dont have the device by which all other devices are measured, and the ones that dont have App Stores and SDKs that are excessively popular. Maybe your insights into how Palm can fix the Pre, WebOS, their SDk and their App Store. Or what Nokia needs to do to rebuild their empire. Or how Android as a platform is not going to be a mobile OS that is pushed out of the higher-end phones, but instead an also-ran OS regulated to the majority of units sold but at lowest-end of the device HW.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

But Apple will be hosting the app, and paying the bandwidth cost, you blinkered fool!

I'm a fool? You don't even understand that in order to sell something there needs to be someone who's buying (paying) for something. How exactly are you paying for free apps? Is Apple paying the free app developers? Who's the foo?
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is Apple paying the free app developers? Who's the foo?

Effectively yes, by hosting and providing the data. They would be commercially complicit is advertising a competing product.

The mind really boggles has to how this could have even become a debatable topic.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #80 of 89
After reading this entire thread, did it ever cross anyone's mind what would happen if apple accepted the app?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Phone reports continue; Apple rejects Motorola Droid app